Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Thoughts about the distortion on cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by UrbanLegend, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. UrbanLegend Apprentice Engineer

What are people's thoughts about the distortion on cameras. I get that it's trying to look like...what...a 1970s broadcast of security camera footage using rabbit ear antenna? But honestly, it's really hard to actually see anything through them (like...if you were piloting a drone or didn't want your bridge in a vulnerable glass tower).

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Malware Master Engineer

Use the search, my friend, you'll see you're not exactly the first with this opinion. Not by a long shot. The community seems rather unified for once...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I've seen it suggested that the distortion is to cover for the skybox texture. If you zoom in, it becomes really obviously low-rez.

4. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

Damn, I was gonna post "In before the 'theres a mod for that' post" ... but I was minutes too late!

• Like Like x 1
  6. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

This is legitimately one of the few times I'm 100% on board with using mods to solve a game limitation/flaw/janky feature.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

Totally. Those cameras in game are rear end feces. Just like now, I am SERIOUSLY considering them along with a glass mod :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

FIFY.

I'm on the fence about windows right now just because I don't use them, but in the situations I do they are usually several layers thick and thus I can't really see out ATM.

9. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

Combined with cameras situated to look out said windows, well... I think putting up armor blocks all around you has better clarity?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Masochist.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. grant.ivy Apprentice Engineer

The lod and texture of items in the distance are low, so when you zoom in you can tell very easily how it looks very blocky and pixelated-blurry, the effect on the camera could be to counteract that some.

12. grant.ivy Apprentice Engineer

A way to make this blurry effect less horrible, would to make it clear, but blurrier when you zoom very far.

13. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

The camera, as is every standard block in the game, is a placeholder and thus is subject to change. No doubt as with windows the next change will invoke anger and thus people will actually spell out what they want.

I know that some folks here have on occasion made a suggestion and will say that suggestions have been made and ignored. Truth is most suggestions come from the subgroup of the community that actually participates in the forums. Something like scratched glass brings people out of the woodwork.

Personally, I use the "Kolt Inspired HUD" mod. The picture is clear, the graphics are useful, and the camera itself has some interesting placement options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. inventor200 Apprentice Engineer

...I uh...um...
    I actually like the camera distortion...it's uh...pretty cool, y'know...to me at least... <///<

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. PurrfectBlinky Trainee Engineer

Indeed, to create a unified coherent game that also caters to the audience a lot of testing and decision making is needed. The overlays we currently have are part of that, and some of them come directly from the previous game Miner Wars (The whole HUD is based on that older game).

16. Spets Master Engineer

I changed that the first day... just a clean crystal clear image, how it should be ???

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. UrbanLegend Apprentice Engineer

I did see some of the mods that remove the distortion effect. I'm hoping there might be one that doesn't require me to rebuild all my cameras.

I also found the camera feed to LCD screen mod. That is bad as ass. It will be perfect for creating my virtual CIC deep in the bowels of my ship! What good is 5 layers of heavy armor if a single rocket blows up your stupid glass conning tower!

18. Bos187 Trainee Engineer

What would be cool, if the distortion was dependent on distance to antenna (when operating drones).
    As in: if your drone is close to the antenna you control it from, there is little to no distortion, but the further away you move, the more noise you get.
    That way it could actually be a useful feature for telling when you're about to lose connection due to too much distance

19. Echillion Senior Engineer

Well if weve got HD home cameras at the moment they should be a lot better by 2077 and there are quite a few mods for it out there atm.

20. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

*That is badass*
    Bad as ass is bad.
    And you take that back! Glass conning towers rock :D

Everyone always ends up buildiglng flying bricks that could take on a space Kraken. The Enterprise has a nice bridge with glass and it kicked some booty in its time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I like how in one Bad Timeline we see the Enterprise get easily disabled by enemies focus-firing on the bridge. Just the once. Odd that that doesn't happen more often.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Destiny had the best of both worlds. I will still continue to build ships in SE with large areas of glass and no military vessels. Call me optimistic haha

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.