Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Tired of griefing? New Starter ship!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TherianUlf, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Playing in a multiplayer world, even with just friends, one of the greatest dangers is griefing, With new players its because they don't understand they need time to slow down. (because they didn't watch the tutorials you sent them)
    and they pile drive your space station at full forward burn attempting to stop.
    NO MORE!
    I built a new small "anti-grief" starting ship.
    it is a simple box really. it is based around a large cargo, it has a single thruster in each direction, and a single reactor.
    in the cargo box are materials to make the following
    one 5 by 5 platform
    one refinery
    one assembler
    one large ship small reactor
    1 kg of U
    and a medical room.

everything someone needs to start the game, that can barely put a dent in large light armor when at max speed.
    perfect for adding difficulty, and preventing griefing!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The ship file is available here:

EDIT: New Ship PermLink

Thanks JB_areo for mentioning the broken link!
    Thanks ProfessorFalken for reminding me to add a medbay!

To install, simply download the file
    shutdown space engineers
    navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\SpaceEngineers\Content\Data\Prefabs
    back up the file named RespawnShip.sbc (this is the yellow starting ship)
    rename the downloaded file to RespawnShip.sbc
    paste new ship into Prefabs directory.
    start space engineers and you're done! anyone spawning in your world will spawn with the new ship!

Like the background? instructions on how to change here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcpS8ErMbI

I hope you enjoy,
    -Therian

2. dpurgert Apprentice Engineer

you forgot the decoy blocks ;)

it is a nice fix though :)

3. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Did I? Or have you not flown one near a station yet ;p

4. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I like it. It should be the new official starter ship IMO because the current one is overkill.

But, as with everything, make it optional. Maybe a selection of a few different starter ships on the world settings.

5. mastpayne Senior Engineer

How appropriate! A floating coffin for the dead guy!

6. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

7. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

haha! ya...
    Well i made it grey and small thinking it would be very easy for new players hide easily. In my worlds I use SEToolBox to move all the asteroids to about 7km apart. so people can set up rather easily.

8. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

I started a world to test the ship, Not all this was in the ship, only the assembler, refinery, reactor.

Bottom picture is what became of my starter ship :)
    Sorry the pictures are a little dark, inside an asteroid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Stoner Apprentice Engineer

The starter Ship in my multi-player (Survivor-3-3-3) consists of an open cockpit (provided by another helpful player here). The spawned player must exit the cockpit and use his jetpack to fly to the home-base platform (he'll make it if he turns off inertia system and gets up to speed and glides to the platform). There, he can rejuvenate at the Medical Station.

The Griefer must manually build a ship before he can grief. Too much work. they leave.

10. Thunderbird Junior Engineer

well, i could still turn it into a pretty nice battering ram in 5 minutes, but im gonna go ahead and assume that most griefers dont really have the brainpower to figure out how anyway :D
    nice design though (well, for the purpose, other than that its actively horrifying :rof:)

11. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Actually, since it has a limit of only 6 thrusters its pretty hard to make a a kinetic torpedo. you have to have a ton of room and perfect aim. and even then if someone is taking the time to MAKE a weapon i would so much rather that then "Oh look i have another free yellow torpedo!"

12. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

well in the situation you described people can not start the game alone, they depend on you. my ship is designed to give you everything you need to play the game.

13. Thunderbird Junior Engineer

true, true, and thats the whole point, make it not worth the effort...
    im just saying, its still possible.... and no matter what you do it still will be possible... you cant balance against stupid as they say

14. Miro Apprentice Engineer

I've been planning on making pretty much this exact same thing. I like it.
    Those pictures are great, by the way... the lighting, environtment, this game is awesome.

15. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Thanks, they are inside an asteroid

16. Elvaan Trainee Engineer

If there is a gyro in your ship, it can become a nice torpedo in less than 3min. grind and put all thruster in the same direction, won't matter as long as you have gyros. Then use the component to add heavy things and raaaaam the hell into the station with 6 thruster providing power and quite a heavy mass

17. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

I've also replaced the RespawnShip with one of my own design. I made it a small class ship. It contains enough material in storage to make a Refinery and Assembler and start work on a base. It has a drill, ore detector, light and thanks to the 1.33 update, a deploy-able solar panel. It's large enough to walk around in and that also makes it a lot less likely to get the speed to become a missile. If anyone's interested, I plan on posting it to my Workshop as soon as I figure out how to do so. :)

[​IMG]

18. Draygo Senior Engineer

But you gave them a drill which is amazing for griefing. Although if you have enough components for a refinery someone could build a few drills - though most people interested in griefing seem to put little effort into it.

My respawn ship has a minimal frame, and enough resources for a refinery, assembler, small reactor, and medical bay. I included components for a medical bay because it helps cut down on respawn ships if you just allow each player to build their own medical bay.

19. Miro Apprentice Engineer

Honestly, I'd be interviewing and getting to know someone before bringing them in to the game. I'd like to increase the playercount in my worlds but... the grief potential is kind of annoying.

20. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

If they try to use the drill to grief the station, they'll find that the decoy blocks hidden in the ship design will be most inconvenient. ;)

21. jb_aero Trainee Engineer

Hey Therian, it doesn't look like your ship link is still working.

But wow! I can't believe I never thought of living inside an asteroid before. That looks pretty fun, and would solve my meteor problem and the failure of the turrets to deal with them.

22. JackoJohnson Trainee Engineer

I made a Respawn ship that is so light and wide it's basically futile to ram armored blocks with it. Use solar panels and the bare minimum of light blocks for the hull. Then just staple on some cargo containers and thrusters. The solar panels are a much better option for a starter ship, make those noobs work for that ore.

23. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for letting me know!
    I made a permlink from a hosted server.
    -Therian

24. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Funny one is this, you get onto someone's large ship hide and build a new station, just one block of heavy armour, as soon as they move the ship.....hehehe

25. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

hahaha!
    well hopefully factions will take care of this one ;p

26. JayCo2013 Apprentice Engineer

Why do people feel the need to grief, its so depressing, My Friend Magelon60 and I had to close his game off to private because idiots dont know how to fly a ship or just blew our stuff up cus they're sad little prats, Wish we could find some actual interesting nice people to play our none violent co-op game with, If you feel this might be you then please add myself JayCo2013 or Magelon60 to your friends list on Steam and we may send you an invite, Also trying to find someone called Bragh or Braph who was helping us a couple of nights ago, Please add us and we can invite you back into our now sadly private game.
    Griefers please stop until factions is implemented properly, Cheers

27. Punkrawks Trainee Engineer

How do I create my own starter ship? I know I have to save it as an .sbc file in the game directory but how to make the actual file? I just want to make a bare minimum small ship. Cockpit, 1 small thruster in each direction, no armor, and a small cargo container with enough material to build a refinery. Just the absolute bare minimum to start a self-sustaining mining operation.
    Sick of people spawning in and using their lifeboats as battering rams. Spawn in, ram my station, respawn in new ship, ram again, respawn, ram, respawn, ram... I have turret defenses, but ammo gets depleted after the 3rd or 4th ram, not like they care anyway.. they have an unlimited supply of respawn ships to lob at me.
    Better yet, if I can make them spawn in with nothing but a cargo container with the materials to make a medical bay, refinery, and a single solar panel for juice, I'd be happy.

28. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

You can use setoolbox to make a saved file of your ship.

29. GRIM_REPAIR Trainee Engineer

An anti griefer ship should be as light as possible (for example the lightest cockpit is the open cockpit)

How about for a large ship
    -decoy
    -open cockpit (put it in the back so they might survive a crash and have to bother hitting backspace)
    -beacon (so we see them or they have to bother turning it off)
    -gyro
    -some solar panels
    -sm storage (with refinery parts, and some steel plate and then ore to make an assembler and med bay)
    -sm reactor (starts off)
    -one sm thruster

My guess is that gives a 50K kg ship that will do a third less damage ramming, and leaving the wreckage of a full cargo container and reactor.

Or a more extreme start would be with solar panels, a gyro, a seat, and cargo container with enough supplies to make a real ship. This would encourage creativity, and force griefers to know the joy of building it themselves. Even more annoying...make it a small ship.

On one server I was getting rammed every 15 seconds (watching four hours of building go down the tubes).
    Requiring 15 minutes to rebuild a spawn ship would be great.

30. GRIM_REPAIR Trainee Engineer

I forgot add a medbay that griefers have to bother grinding and disabling it, and put it at the back of the ship with the reactor to make it likely to survive a ram.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.