Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Tracks

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by WD-40, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WD-40 Trainee Engineer

Soon we'll get planets and I think we need to create tracks in easier way.
    It could be new block with adjustable size or it could have few sizes. Tracks are used in hard terrain or in heavy vehicles

P.S.:Sorry for my bad English

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

tracks as in train tracks, or tracks as in tank/halftrack tracks?

3. VonKlutch Trainee Engineer

Think he's talking about tank tracks.

4. WD-40 Trainee Engineer

Yes tracks as in tanks

5. VonKlutch Trainee Engineer

i've seen people doing this but it would be nice to have like an end peice and a middle peice. Let people determine how long they want them. and also a suspension system for them.

6. Levits Senior Engineer

Ok, this is to once again request the addition of tank treads, tracks, caterpillar tracks/treads, whatever you want to call it.

I've been playing around with planets and it didn't take long to find a few, particularly damning, issues with wheels and their suspension. I mean the wheels need work, that's a given, but what would also be just as useful is a far more steady and structurally sound means of transportation and motion. Tank Treads are the answer. Over rough, uneven terrain where traction and bumps wreak havoc on wheeled vehicles, I'm looking for something a lot more sound. I don't need it for speed, I need it to allow an oversized piece of equipment to move across the terrain with the grace of a bulldozer.

So, just to make sure that this suggestion is heard. I'm bringing it back up to the front.

7. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

+1
    would be nice if they were so as to make flying tracked vehicles extra heavy but would stick to voxel like glue.

8. Niphiil Trainee Engineer

I think better if caterpillars will be solid thing with animation, like turbine. Maybe it will work stable. And Yes, it need to be few sizes. for example for small ship 3x12x2, 3x6x2, 3x18x2, 5x10x3, 5x20x3, 5x30x3 or similar.

9. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

I like this idea! Maybe the tracks could come in sections, so you place an end at each end and then a number of middle sections. This way you could have any lenght you wanted. Of course, it would have to stop working if any of the sections broke.

10. Niphiil Trainee Engineer

I think it will be difficult to animate. and for sure it will be bugged as hell))

11. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

They can't even get wheels to work right and you want multiple sized wheels inside a tracked system with moving links that run on all those wheels?

12. Niphiil Trainee Engineer

No. I Want Single block that loks like that)) How they make it work stable is different question. it can simulated by more robust algoritm then simply row of 10 wheels.

13. Levits Senior Engineer

I personally prefer the open advantages of having pieces/sections as they are the only means to allow the player to customize the design of their vehicle to the fullest. Though preset designs are simpler, they effectively limit you to only a few designs.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...1cf274b03df0b5ca7bcb89b20532150fo0&ajaxhist=0

I'd only ask for about 4 types of track blocks.

-The straight track: A single tread line; no drive wheel, no runner, just the track. This allows you to place and replace track sections only. With this, it effectively works like a single sided block (like the catwalk block). You can spin it around but it can only connect to its two sides.

-The angled track: Same thing as the single track but angled at 45 degrees and sloped at 15 degrees (or whatever the sloped armor is angled at). Helps to clear certain low-lying debris instead of having a simple flat track.

-Track with Drive Wheel (eh, sprocket I think): Basically this is the means to propel the tank. It requires electricity to function and it should be stackable to extend the width of the track. Basically a rotor designed to work with the tracks themselves.

-Rollers: These sections would be used to support the track. They would not provide any added propulsion but they would be used to calculate/support the vehicles weight. Without them your track and the vehicle itself would simply drop to the ground. These would be the tracks version of the wheels suspension. The more you have the more weight the track can support.

The could work as follows:

When placing a track, you would of course start with a drive wheel. Starting there, you would then place the rollers before adding the track. The track is probably the most demanding for coding and creating. How it works or looks is up in the air, but I'd prefer having them remain solid (as in fixed in shape) until they have been setup to complete a loop. Appearance wise they can simply remain a visual entity only; The entire track assembly could (at this point) be fused together to act as one. If you happen to do something that damages the track however, the tracks could be set to slump or break. Again, programing wise, they'd be nothing compared to planets. Up to the ones making it to decide how in depth they'd want to go into it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Niphiil Trainee Engineer

I think it will difficult to program and setup. And need to many single use difficult to setup parts.
    If make "pieces/sections" version then it similar just assign few wheels to caterpillar, draw tracks above wheels and change power calculation and control method of the wheels. But repairing of that caterpillars will not be so simple... soft speaking

15. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

I like the concept. How about just Tread and Drives? Make the Drives the part that contacts the voxel and Tread could be an animation like rope in ME. Have the sum of the Tread connected Drives effects affect the vehicle along the voxel contacting Drives, i.e. as if all Drives where in contact. This way we could add more Drives to the Tread to get more power or traction without having to add along the ground block plane only, as with wheels. Drives would also perform the function of rollers, and there would have to be a distance restriction between Drives so its not stretching unrealistically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Niphiil Trainee Engineer

I offer almost it too))

17. WD-40 Trainee Engineer

Vehicles with tracks should be much slower than wheeled ones but tracks should provide more power

18. Niphiil Trainee Engineer

It will, coz it has all power combined from all motors. And about speed, New Tanks can run up to 100km/h. In game, wheeled vehicles unstable even on 50km/h... Now speed not a point.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Levits Senior Engineer

If it would be better for the devs and the game to have it more simplified then I would not disagree to the drives and tread only. If the track blocks were setup to be single blocks that provide propulsion while the actual "moving" tread is simply a visual depiction then that would effectively accomplish the same goal. I was mostly wondering how the building stages and visual damage would appear.

With my previous suggestion with the tracks being a separate entity, it would allow a damaged track to be easily replaced without having to rebuild an entire section. <also because I was thinking of how WW2 tanks would commonly place them on their exteriors... I like the look, so sue me ;)

But again, with the proper setup, there are many ways to make this work. Heck, planets were a leap of faith. A little track system shouldn't be any problem for them.

20. w0ps Apprentice Engineer

well yes but planets added a whole lot of gameplay. Not too sure if tracks add all that much. Of course, a dynamic track making system like described above would be awesome!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.