Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Tractor beams

Discussion in 'General' started by fourthquantum, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

Should space engineers have them? A study by Bristol university has established the technology is possible. Although it does need air to work I can imagine the technology could become more sophisticated in 60 years and involve waves from the EM spectrum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34647921

Until now I thought Tractor beams were a bit 'far fetched' but now I can see them being a viable technology in 60 years time.

2. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I've already towed ships via Gravity Generators and Artificial Mass Blocks; i don't think we need a dedicated game mechanic for them considering we already have it, kinda, but BECAUSE we already have it we might as well make it easier to use. So... SHOULD SE have tractor beams? Not really, i don't think it'd be a necessary addition. But i don't see any harm either, only some small benefits.

3. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

I didn't think of that. I like that idea. How good is it at towing ships?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  4. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

It went great until i accidentally rammed a space station and ended up with a Miranda mounting the Constitution that had just towed it, and both of them faceplanting into the station's wall. Other than that it worked fairly well, you just need to make sure that the towed ship has Inertial Dampeners switched on and you need to take momentum of both leading and following ship into account while turning. High speeds are dangerous but the general principle seems to work fine. I don't think i needed more than a couple of AM Blocks either. It's a SLOW affair but it's doable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ortikon Apprentice Engineer

I read that article this morning and my first thought was "oh boy here comes the tractor beams thread".
    And here we are.

I actually think they might be cool, I use one in X3. If it worked similar to that I think it would be ok. But at the same time I like the sort of 'analog' feel of Space Engineers; making landing gear based 'fork-lift'/ tugboats. Also, as a homeworld fan, I like the idea of little ships pushing things around rather than using an old Star Trek plot device/TV VFX budget saving invisible or glowy beam that moves things to simplify a 22minute episode's "go get that thing" scene.

But still, it could be fun.

I hope you are aware that this device posted in the BBC uses sound (concentrated waves in air) to control the little bead. Therefore completely useless in space. Ugh can you imagine tugboats using that on earth to guide freighters? It would sound like dubstep all day...

• Like Like x 1
  6. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

I was aware it needs air, I said so in my post. I'm in two minds on whether we should have tractor beams in the game. I like the engineering challenge of grabbing onto something quickly and towing it into a salvage/scrap yard. Perhaps a rope or a chain would be more fun.

7. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Well, if Landing Gears weren't stuffed with TNT that could be a viable solution to that, now? And the GGs DO work if you equip whatever you wanna tow with AMs.

8. cedi Apprentice Engineer

The amount of force and energy necessary to move a spaceship this way would be unholy, especially if you try to move a ship that doesn't want to be moved in that direction. Plus if you use sound waves the emitters for them would be huge, turning them into a giant weak spot. Considering that there are landing gears in place (which have stopped to blow up every ten seconds) I'd say such a thing is unnecessary.
    Also, I'd rather have cables, harpoons and magnets.

9. chrisb Senior Engineer

Not sure about you lot. But I was beaming when I watched this:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Aracus Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

We have landing gears that work now and work well. Do we need tractor beams? probably not as it'll get the shield freaks coming out the wood work (love you guys really :p). If we can bash one together with grav gens then I don't see the need for a specific block. I enjoy doing an Interstellar on something that is out of control. It gets awfully exciting :eek: < excited.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gentry Senior Engineer

This technology has nothing to do with what you're asking.

Get scientifically literate before you make grandiose claims of 'space ship tractor beam technology is now possible'

• Like Like x 2
  13. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

Did you not see the part where I said I can see the technology becoming more sophisticated in 60 years time?

And I'm scientifically literate thanks.

14. Gerdih Apprentice Engineer

Thats not how this works... Thats not how any of this works...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Please gentlemen, this last week has been very trying on all of us, especially here in the forums. Can we not fall into another one of these topics. Please. I start work again tomorrow, I don't want to leave the forums on a low note :(

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gentry Senior Engineer

Okay cool so we might have something to use in keyhole surgery in a hundred years time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

It works by utilising the boundary between the air and the object it's trying to manipulate.

It utilises the impedance mismatch.

18. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

100 years? And you said I was scientifically illiterate...

19. chrisb Senior Engineer

Funny time to start work 'tomorrow', does it ever come.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Quite frankly I don't want to go to bed lol

21. Gerdih Apprentice Engineer

Off-topic: Omg... my screen just got filled by black guys dancing o_O Forum bug? :D

All of that has nothing to do with EM waves

• Like Like x 1
  22. Lrj52 Apprentice Engineer

Same thing happened to me :D
    Defiantly not a bug.... but how?!?

23. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Me too! Hope we didn't get hacked?

24. Lrj52 Apprentice Engineer

According to @RotalHenricsson it is an easter egg on the forums... or a moderator trolling.

25. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Eh, it's likely both with a lot more of the latter rather than the former.

• Like Like x 1
  26. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

Yes it does, do you know anything about diamagnetic levitation? Do you think that process creates a boundary layer of an object in a vacum?

27. Lrj52 Apprentice Engineer

Indeed...
    Vagax :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  28. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

They activated it a while ago, I can't remember what it was for though.

29. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Probably just an innocent attempt at fun that doesn't resonate with some people. Like me.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Lrj52 Apprentice Engineer

For waste ejection and giggles.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.