Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Travelling throught the center of the earth

Discussion in 'General' started by Hale, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hale Trainee Engineer

Yesterday i discovered it is possible to travel all the way straight through a planet, through its center. At least in creative mode.

I set up a rig that spawned and dropped warheads every few seconds, tunneling towards the center. After a while the collision detection of the bottom of the tunnel gave up and the warheads started dropping straight through. So inside the earth all you get is the skybox, and the tunnel seen from outside. Dropping toward the center, the skybox gets pretty funky as it transitions between day and night sky.

After passing through the center of gravity, the warheads start to slow down, eventually reaching an apex point and colliding with each other. The explosions spawned a new cavity, deep inside the planet. In this cave i set up another rig that spawned thruster powered torpedoes to continue tunneling toward the surface on the opposite side of the planet. When the torpedoes reached the surface they began blasting new tunnel section, until the collision detection on that gave up too, and the line of torpedoes continued up into the sky.

Using this, i was able to fly straight through from one side of the earth to the opposite side, and back again.

I have to say i'm pretty amazed at the robustness of the game. Through all this abuse, time and distance covered, both spawning rigs kept working flawlessly, and all the individual warhead grids kept behaving just as one would expect them too. I started getting some performance issues with the terminal system, but as long as the terminal was closed, the game kept running at an entirely playable framerate. I believe if i had used powered torpedoes from the start, i would get a single dotted line of torpedoes all the way through the planet and out the other side, without the need for the second spawning rig.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. Sid_raptor Trainee Engineer

Wow! I didn't even know that was possible!! I thought grids got deleted after a certain depth underground.... If this works though, maybe we can build an underground trans core railway network!

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Hmmm... the center of planets generally delete grids as part of a clean-up of blocks/grids that end up leaking through the voxel surface.

Perhaps they've changed it so that if a grid is outside of the planet surface voxels it won't get deleted. Granted, if a voxel that's warped though the planet's exterior cannot reach the center and disappear, does this cause busted grids to loiter inside of a planet?

4. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

I have a world with a similar situation, caused by wreckage raining down on an alien planet I use as a backdrop for warship weapons test. The surface was littered with large chunks of shredded ships until I cleaned it up. The core was full of orbiting trash, with caves where bits had hit each other and caused an explosion.

This planet was pasted in, maybe that has something to do with it? But at any rate, it is most definatly not deleting grids inside it.

5. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I suspect he did not hit the absolute center if grids did not get deleted.
    Unless it has been some sort of a ghost change.

6. Arcturus Senior Engineer

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Spets Master Engineer

for a long time I wanted to make a hole through the planet, probably since first day planets came out, maybe I will do it soon too

8. damoran Junior Engineer

ahh, was hoping to find dinosaurs and lizard men in there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spets Master Engineer

finally did the depth excavation with warheads today, not trying to go to the center... yet. Just testing the performance and such. I also had the voxel collision bug, but it fixed when I reload the world.
    anyways, I only went to 10 km depth

10. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I'd like to make a small planet and try this. :)

that would be pretty fun to have 2 massive bases on the exact centre of the planet with a rail system connecting them.
    or even 4 bases....railway an entire planet! :D

might be worth trying on the moon....construct a.....wait for it...gravity drive tram system to launch yourself from one end to the other quickly.

11. Hale Trainee Engineer

@Spets That was a slightly more elaborate setup than i had. I thought single warheads made pretty big holes as it were. I thought the spotlighted version would look cool if you made them rotate before you dropped them, and then i saw you had another video where you did just that, so :tu::).

Something i noticed about the voxel collision bug was that if a warhead detonated to the side of the tunnel the missing collision detections area, the collision detection would sometimes return for a while. No need to reload the game. An idea i had, although not tested, was to put the warheads on a variable timer to detonate near the bottom of the tunnel, maybe even past it, to not rely on collision detection to initiate detonation.

How can i get the perfomance display in the corner?

@Forcedminer Why not go full threedee and have 6 bases. And a 7th central hub station in the middle. And then do it in survival. Creative is good for testing and design, but it doesn't really count unless you realize the design in survival. ;)

12. Spets Master Engineer

Shift + F11 to see the numbers

13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

14. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Wasn't there a chat long ago about this and the fact you can't actually get to the centre of planets in SE due to the way they are created?

15. damoran Junior Engineer

lol wow, even cheesier than I remember it being as a child.

16. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

I thought anything reaching past a certain distance underground was automatically destroyed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Initially yes, but that has since been removed (see post #6 above in this thread)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.