Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ultimate Mod by Uniphix Corporation & Team - (Former: Advance Shipyard, Drone System, Navigation Sys

Discussion in 'Released and WIP Mods' started by Ravenal, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

I am not actually using that so we're good there. As for time, when you feel like joining your more than welcome to join, we'll always have a spot for you.

2. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

LOL thats a random comment. No I am not crazy, just the project is crazy lol. I do crazy things because its fun and a challenge. So far big success.

3. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

Well I have high hopes for this project, if you need another seasoned application/software tester let me know. I would offer dev help but my abilities do not include C#, working on it however.

4. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

http://uniphix.github.io/Ultimate-Mod-Dev/

Another News Update and a new Video

5. Ded1 Trainee Engineer

This makes me wish more and more that it was up for testing. I sincerely hope work on this goes well and it doesn't end up like a lot of other ambitious projects do for games. Keen should seriously hire you for your work on this (or at least pay you and incorporate the completed mod into the game). Once this is released i doubt i will ever be able to play without it.

6. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

Very impressive videos.
    Though, I wonder how it would handle ships with multiple connectors. For example, a ship with one on each side, so that it can dock from either direction. Or a ship designed with one connector for docking and another for dumping cargo through.

Will there be a way to 'designate' which connector is the actual one it should dock through. And for that matter, will you be able to designate the correct connector on a station or ship that a drone should dock with?

7. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

Right now it just finds the first connector on the ship. Once in the near future when they do open up the GUI side of things you'll be able to manage a lot of things that i'll be setting up.

Drones can connect to the standard connectors but recharging batteries etc. will take the same normal rate as it does. We are going to add a fuel & power connector but the downside of this is that it doesn't allow components to move through them, only power and fuel (when we add it). They also function better as a docking port, and we'll explain that in the future as well. Like when you get close to it, it will turn yellow and blink 3 times, this is telling you that the magnetic force will turn on after that time force. Then when it draws our ship in just like the connector would. After it connects and you lock on to it, it will then animate and show the small little pistons connect to the one on your ship (yes they have to match ie power connector to power connector) cannot have a ship connector to a power connector. When you unlock, it will turn yellow like it does, but instead it will blink yellow for 10 flashes this tells you that the magnetic force is off and allows you to freely move away from the ship/station after the final flash if your not away enough it will begin the magnetic force again.

We'll be showing you something in the near future, right now we have higher priority things.

8. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

Sounds like an interesting system. Automated ship docking will make everyone's lives a bit easier, you've no idea howmany landing gear and connectors I've lost just from coming in slightly too fast or at slightly the wrong angle when docking. I can picture a setup where you have a connector aligned with a docking ring (either self-made or from a mod), and all you have to do is engage the auto-docking system and it would line up all the ports to the matching ones on the station. Once you've got the connectors locked, you just have to lock the docking ring and you're all set.

Also, something to consider might be to allow for the AI to also trigger other blocks in the same way timers do. For example, dock and deploy solar panels (that are on pistons or rotors). Or switch batteries to charge or change a connector or ejector to drop items.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  9. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

Yeah for landing, I am not entirely sure how I am going to do that, I have to do something that the AI will know what is a landing pad... I'll probably have to have my model guy come up with something. Not sure yet but its not my main concern yet, docking for drones are the most important because that is how they will load, and what not as well charge their batteries etc.

As for the other half of your message. That is what the "System" Mode does, it will allow you to trigger different parts of the station for you. It will also be able to work assemblers, refinery. So for example if you have enough resources to make ammo, and your gattling guns are low on ammo, if you have it in system mode. AND of course you have given your mainframe permission to do so, they will produce enough ammo to make sure that they can be used 3x the amount. Another words, the cap is 30, that means they'll produce 90 total ammo as a storage depending on how many gattling guns. If you have 5, that means it'll make sure that 30*(5+3) = 240 total ammo. You can also tell it how much ammo you want to make.

10. ArtofWar Trainee Engineer

The awesomeness rating for this mod on a scale of 1-100 just went from 200 to 100000. Above and beyond the normal mod, seriously you should be hired by Keen as I'm pretty sure your programming skills are greater than most of the guys in Keen.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  11. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

Thanks,

Keep in mind though, they are better game developers than I. I am just really good when it comes to Artificial Intelligence Logic and design. The reason why is because i've done it before in another game, and a lot of my structures and designs are from the original design but majorly changed.

12. ArtofWar Trainee Engineer

True but I'm sure you could help a lot with the development, however that would add another project to your to-do list and from what I've seen the Ultimate Mod is enough as is :D
    Edit: If you were to work with Keen that means that the AI stuff could be incorporated into the vanilla game which would be AWESOME.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  13. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

If they did hire me, I couldn't move to Czech, mainly for family reasons. And well, I love my current job, but if they wanted to pay me on the side I wouldn't mind that either but that is totally up to them. I'll continue to do this anyway either way, whether I get paid or not, the main reason is because I love what I am doing right now.

14. ArtofWar Trainee Engineer

Yea I hear you. Its good to hear that this project is more of a joy than a burden :D

15. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

If you are interested in joining this project as a programmer, we could use a few more. There is a small trail phase as former programmers have not contribute in code and no longer are part of the team. So I could ask for more help if any are wishing to help.

Please private message me in regards to this.

16. space leviathan Trainee Engineer

Not to rush perfection, just wondering if there's been any progress worth putting out another video for or possible beta/stress testing :)?

I followed the earlier progress videos with much anticipation, this is probably the mod/gameplay functionality i look forward the most.

The idea of battling von neumann drone swarms and having cross carrier drone fights (using the micro blocks mod) is an attractive scenario.

Keep up the good work!

17. paradigma11 Trainee Engineer

I do think it might be a good idea to use http://akkadotnet.github.io/ to model the drones and the communication. You get features on the cheap like supervision and a very well understood and documented model http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actor_model that you can reason about. It should/might also enable the possibility to enable external actors to direct your drones (think live coding).

Just an idea.

18. galacticon Apprentice Engineer

Wow amazing, great work!

19. xephyr1 Trainee Engineer

Mod is dead.

20. space leviathan Trainee Engineer

do you speak for uniphix?

21. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

And where did you got information about this care to share?
    Or is this just Your assumption for not seeing any updates?

22. Belthize Apprentice Engineer

It's certainly not definitive but when a mod is getting multiple daily updates and then suddenly goes dead quiet for 2+ months that's usually a good indicator. At the previous rate of code development and what was described as 'next' I would have expected an update in days or a week or two.

I hope it's not dead and he's just taking a break or decided to tackle a larger function that is taking a while. I thought the idea of a sharable standard navigation AI functions (e.g. seek(), arrive(), avoid(), evade(), patrol(), flock() etc) a good one and had every intention of using it. Now I'm starting to write my own. It will take a while but there are tons of books on the subject so it's mostly a function of porting to SEs engine/gyro functionality but I wanted to focus on higher level issues.

On a side note those functions are so basic and common that I've been expecting to seem the released by Keen itself as part of an AI package. It already existed in MinerWars from what I understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  23. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

Maybe this can help you link
    Found it some time ago on forum here

24. Belthize Apprentice Engineer

Yah, I had seen that. Reading that thread sometime ago was how I became aware of Uniphx's work (ie. this mod).

Thanks for pointer in any event.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.