1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Ungriefable blocks, would they be too awesome to use?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by WhiteWeasel, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WhiteWeasel

WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

So I have been fiddling with modding and figured out how the armor system works, and you makes some obscene values to make some tough arse armor as a fun project. It wouldn't be literally indestructible, but the values can be made so it's hundreds of times stronger than normal armor, takes a whole day to grind out the block, and make the block require it's own component. Said componet does not have a recipe, so it cannot be crafted, and has a volume so large it cannot be carried in a container or inventory.

Look how durable the 5x strength (to heavy armor) armor mod is, now imagine that 100x stronger.

So for all intents and purposes, it is indestructible, and can only be built in creative. However this is going to be naturally prone to some kind of exploitation. Now I'm not currently planning to release it any time soon as I am a novice modder and it would need polishing, if at all. And if I did, it would be an oldschool download and file place mod.

Now would this be a good idea, or should I just keep it on my hard drive? A person argued that it gives admins an unfair advantage and that they could make people pay money to get their own structures built out of the stuff.

2. Maltier

Maltier Apprentice Engineer

If you don't someone else will

Seize the momment.

3. Belthize

Belthize Apprentice Engineer

Carpe arma

4. WhiteWeasel

What does that mean? :confused:

5. Maltier

Well Carpe means along the lines of Seize, so I'd say it's something close to seize the momment

6. Belthize

Belthize Apprentice Engineer

Seize the armor, sort of

7. PaladinX333

PaladinX333 Apprentice Engineer

arma arripere

Seize the armor, exactly.

8. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

so you attach a mergeblock to it an hijack the whole structure.

Then add weapons and engines and you have an invincible death machine :D

9. WhiteWeasel

But everything else would be under someone elses control, you can't attach a merge block and take the thing.

10. Starmonger

Starmonger Trainee Engineer

Might as well release it.

I haven't seen it When its been RAMMED.
    Need to know how it fares when rammed as well. Griefing includes Ramming.

11. WhiteWeasel

Eh, I'm still in the process of making it, but the ultra reinforced armor fares really well against ramming and the darksteel armor will have 100x the block hp.

12. Maltier

The video is private

Also quick question how is the mass effected? wouldn't it be really heavy?

13. WhiteWeasel

Take a look at a piece of the steel plate code:

<Mass>20</Mass> (How much it adds to the block mass per plate, in Kg)
    <Volume>3</Volume> (How much space in takes in inventory, in liters)
    <Model>Models\Components\steel_plate_component.mwm</Model>
    <MaxIntegrity>100</MaxIntegrity> (How much "hp" it contributes to a block)

A blocks mass and strength are determined by the componets used in it and the amount. More componets used in the block recipe, the more strength and mass it adds. Heavy armor has 6 times the steel plates than a light armor block, so it is six times heavier and stronger. So if I were to make a component that had the normal mass of a steel plate, but an insane integrity level, it would be super strong and weigh no more than a regular armor block, assuming it used the same number of componets in it's recipie.

14. Maltier

Ah that makes sense, but it doesn't seem to be that reliable against ramming, from that video anyways. Of course it holds up good compared to everything else

15. WhiteWeasel

Well that block is from another mod, it is 5x the strength of heavy armor. My planned block is going to have 500x times the strength of heavy armor.

16. Maltier

Yeah, I think that might be a bit harder to pierce.

17. mrchrispy

mrchrispy Trainee Engineer

i want something like this for a pvp map so that ppl cannot grind down the starter base for materials.

btw the video seems broken to me :|

18. WhiteWeasel

I launched it in incognito, and it worked fine. So It might be on your end. Though note that only the armor blocks themselves are nigh-indestructible, everything else is just as vulnerable as before.

19. YtramX

YtramX Apprentice Engineer

That's a silly argument. If the admin of the server is that big of a jerk, then you don't want to play there anyways. This type of block is used in Minecraft to create indestructible POIs or newbie starting areas. I think it'd be a great addition.

Personally I think KSWH should add the ability to make any block indestructible to the base game.

20. delabu

delabu Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, add it.

Would give admins the option to make interesting scenarios using these blocks. An admin that "misuses" it will soon have no players to misuse it on.

Take note though, explosions propagate through armour. Whether the armour is destroyed or not...

21. Cyber Cheese

Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

The merge block and similar exploits would be the biggest problem imo. Even if a majority of the ship or station is somebody else's, it only takes one cockpit to control every thruster and gyroscope--meaning your big invincible station can get hauled off somewhere to quietly become a big invincible ship. Once these exploits are fixed or in conjunction with a mod that fixes them, I think this would be a great admin tool.

22. WhiteWeasel

I'm a brand new modder, so this will take some time for me to learn how to do it. The question is; If I make it should I release it? Editing the stats is easy and I have that much down, but making them their own items (so they do not replace existing armor blocks) will be the hard bit. Also I'm not proficient texturing, so they will be reskins.

Though I have had a simpler idea that I probably should work on first 'cause it's easier to mod; one that adds a second set of thrusters and gyros that have computers in them, and therfore have to be hacked in order to use.

23. Trevish

Trevish Apprentice Engineer

I don't get the purpose of this, use a griefer proof spawn ship on the server: done, no complications or exploits. Everything else is gameplay.

24. Maltier

I have something that should be an easy test to see if the armor is up for combat uses.... Talk to me if you're interested in testing once you finish the mod

25. Draygo

Draygo Senior Engineer

You build the other end of the mergeblock on the thing you want to steal.

People are already using this method to quickly steal things, your modded block would not be immune to this hijack method.

26. Cyber Cheese

Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

Sorry I was unclear Weasel, I think this would be a good mod, but it has to work in conjunction with something like SEExtender's security cockpit to avoid exploitation by clients.

Even a griefer proof spawn ship can be harvested as quickly as it can be flown to base and emptied/grinded down. Conversely, a spawn ship has to have significant resources to allow bootstrapping. This mod would allow you to make an indestructible base where new players can use refineries to get started rather than each having their own refinery.

27. Trevish

Trevish Apprentice Engineer

The problem there is that yeah the armor is indestructible, but nothing else inside is, you would have to make a ridiculous version of every block you intend on using on that station. If you want to make a noob helper starter station, it can be griefed by simply taking a hand drill to the ref/ass. Atleast with the spawn ship farming the greifer is forced to put in effort, and while its still an exploit its moves from greifing to pvp.

28. WhiteWeasel

Alternatively, I could make a darksteel version of every essential block (gg, assembler, refinery, reactor, etc...) that is made out darksteel plates and has an absurd build/grind time too, but that is essentially making a copy of dozen or more blocks. Right now I'm having trouble getting my starter mod to work that just increases the "hp" of bullet proof glass. So by myself, that will be way down the line. Maybe have to be a co-authored mod if I could find someone.

29. pfshfine

pfshfine Trainee Engineer

Something like this would be great, but personally, I'd rather see something akin to the WorldGuard plugin from Minecraft. The admin being able to designate a 3 dimensional space that only whitelisted players could edit would be invaluable for creating server spawn areas and such.

30. Malakeh

Malakeh Trainee Engineer

I think its a good idea to have another level of heavy armor. Though the addition I would like to see are armor blocks that cant be grinded when they are part of an electrified grid. The blocks would still be damaged by missile etc but not grinded. That would require military action to steal something rather than just getting in grinding something and taking control of everything.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.