Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Space Engineers New! Upcoming Decorative Pack Functionality Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Blitzzz333, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Blitzzz333 Keen PR Guy Staff

[​IMG]

Hello, Engineers!

After carefully evaluating feedback provided by the community, we have decided to make a major change to the functionality of the Decorative Pack. Soon, all players will be able to interact with these blocks regardless of whether they own the Decorative Pack or not. In the case that a player doesn't own the Decorative Pack, they will just not be able to build with these blocks. This change will be made in an update releasing in the coming weeks.

Cheers! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Bowing to the masses.... :(

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

^Surprising complaint. Does enabling the use of the blocks take away something from you?

I think this is pretty neat. Could open up a new shipwright/interior designer metagame in servers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Takes nothing away from me. Keen should be able to stand their ground without having to cave in.

My opinion, not a well-liked one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Glad they are making this change, but still partially sticking to their guns by making sure you need the DLC to build the block initially. In a multiplayer environment, having some ships that just flat out cannot be used by fellow members of your faction because they have a DLC part on them (the cockpit being the main issue) is extremely frustrating. It's one thing if they are purely decorative, but when you put fundamental or functional blocks behind a pay wall, the situation gets sticky. The person who bought the DLC and built the ship with it either has to choose to switch to vanilla so others can use it, or can build with it and everyone else is hosed. It's not a very friendly situation for multiplayer, which already has its own stigma and issues to deal with. The optics of it were less than flattering for Keen.

As an aside, I have to wonder - will people without the DLC be able to repair the new blocks if they are damaged? That could be the next rumbling complaint after the block functionality is unlocked for all players, if you can't repair them...

6. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

It's a good step, it's really not so much fun if the blocks you build can't be used by your partners that may not have it. But repair or grind them down is too much and not needed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Blitzzz333 Keen PR Guy Staff

Much obliged for all of the continued feedback, Engineers!

8. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

While I respect the principle of what you're saying, we have to take the situation into consideration. Keen is testing the waters with block DLCs and universal functionality is a wise concession for them to make if they intend to sell any more DLCs in the future.

9. Cetric Junior Engineer

They still would sell many copies of future DLCs, with or without that noble step taken here. So that is not the reason for their change of mind.
    Come on, Dondxx, show some more appreciation. When the last time you saw a game developer like KEEN Software Church? ;)
    And if I am called now a 'fanboy' I don't mind. Happens in a number of great games I support in chats or forums these days.
    --- Automerge ---
    I was really close to telling those people complaining with that argument they should buy the DLC for their friends if it is felt so much as hardship they can't use blocks together. I mean, for 4 Euros you can invite y buddy to a drink somewhere, or buy him the DLC as gift - no difference. Oh wait- there is a difference, the DLC works for weeks, months, years - the drink is gone within half an hour...
    Honestly, it was a dreadful debate, this all about a low-cost DLC. If people cannot afford 4 Euros, than either they don't like the game enough or they should look for a cheaper hobby. Like jogging.

10. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

All these people that play online ... where are they exactly?...most servers show zero online.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Most of the people I know who are playing multi-player are on dedicated servers. You won't see big numbers on them usually, but there are a lot of them out there.
    --- Automerge ---
    The whole DLC thing has got me honestly curious, and I freely admit I have no knowledge of what is or is not allowed, but... Couldn't selling DLC packs of functional & decorative block sort of discourage free modding, or perhaps cause some of the great modders we've had for SE over the years to want to sell their mod sets? Or are they even allowed to do that?

Seems like a really weird ecosystem / economy situation could pop up, considering how open and moddable SE has been made. Honestly curious what (if any) ramifications might arise?

12. Cetric Junior Engineer

13. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

:D okay guys. Give me 50k uranium an I build for you that cockpit. Another 10k for the toilet. I see some potential in that way of marketing :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. vadersson Trainee Engineer

Thanks Keen, I think it is wise to listen to the fan base (within reason, we can get pretty unreasonable sometimes.) :)

I really like that people can now use the lockers I make for them and some of the other cool stuff. For a game with a big multi-player community, that is a good thing to see.

Thanks,
    Duncan

• Like Like x 1
  15. ThisIsADogHello Apprentice Engineer

Finally, I'll be able to make public toilets available to everyone, so we won't have to use some J.K. Rowling-style magic to deal with our poop.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.