Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Upcoming Space PVP Games & Space Engineers

Discussion in 'General' started by Bullet_Force, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

There are several Space PVP focused games that are set to come out sometime this year, some of which look absolutely fantastic and no doubt will prove to be very popular and will draw in a lot of players. All of this of course makes me wonder how well the Space Engineer's player base will fare given that the PVP in this game has basically been ignored for the last 5 years of development.

The devs in these other games are switched on, they know that PVP Survival Genre is what a lot of people want, there is a huge audience for it. Farm, Build, Fight. That's the basic formula of success. Space Engineers has the first two nailed down but still hasn't worked out what the third word is.

I dare say that most of us PVP players probably won't stick around here too much longer. I'm a big Space Engineers fan but even I have had enough. It's clear to us PVP players that the devs don't seem to think we actually exist as a player base. I can't think of a single patch that added anything, not even one thing to the PVP side of the game. Not a single new weapon, nothing. All we have gotten is cosmetic blocks and glitter paint and now a silly broken invincible shield that doesn't even let us do any PVP at all. If you are trying to drive us PVP players away from your game devs, you are doing a fantastic job of it..

Anyways keep ignoring a significant portion of your player base at your own peril. Time is ticking, the player base isn't going to wait around any longer for their missing PVP content.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Roxette Senior Engineer

I was going to search for an appropriate reaction gif to post here, but then I decided it wasn't even worth the effort.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. zachusaman Trainee Engineer

Hey can you make another misguided, salty thread? I think only having four isn't enough.

4. Calaban Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Ha, first thing I thought when reading that: Hurra, good riddance. Win-win-situation, you get your PvP and we get spared from you. I don't care if you leave. Don't know why the Developer should, you already buy the software and you're obviously not interessted in investing more money into it if they don't fullfill your wishes. I also doubt you get a majority of the Player base behind you.

@Calaban : Bulls eye!

6. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I'm going to say this as politely as possible. I think you are completely wrong.
    Survival PvP game sales are small compared to match based PvP. Marek mentioned a while back that he would like to add some sort of match based PvP. Something where players choose a ship from their BP list and fight in a structured environment would have a lot more appeal than expanding on survival PvP specifically. Pandering to griefers is just not worth the devs time considering those are the players that actively try to ruin everyone else's gaming experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

If you like those other games then go play one of those. SE is not exclusively pvp or pve nor will it ever be. Simply because you don't like how something works doesn't mean it's been neglected or ignored.

Once again, go play one of those games if you think they're so much better. Some folks do indeed want pvp games, just not your particular brand of pvp game.

For the 3rd time, go play one of those other games if you think they're so much better. No the devs know pvp exists, it's just that your particular brand of pvp is a small minority compared to the rest of everyone else in the community. So tell me, as a business, what do you think Keen is going to do? Do you think they're going to cater to a small handful minority of guys like yourself, or the well over 1 million folks besides yourself? Seriously dude, your brand of pvp is a minority and if all the folks who think like you go, then not much is lost. As we've pointed out to some of your problems in the other threads, if you don't like the safe zone block, TURN OFF THE SAFE ZONE BLOCK. You've been given solutions to stuff yet you keep complaining. Really dude you've cried more tears this past month and spread more salt than the entirety of the Dead Sea.

8. ThisIsADogHello Apprentice Engineer

If you're looking for a game where you can go around being an asshole, maybe you're looking for something like Rust?

9. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

I have played that but I prefer ARK, that's not the point though of this thread.
    --- Automerge ---
    I own Medieval engineers and two of the DLC's but my point is this game has a lot of untapped potential that the devs are failing to realize and with new games on the horizon they will start facing quite a bit of competition in the whole space lego combat market.
    --- Automerge ---
    I own Medieval engineers and two of the DLC's but my point is this game has a lot of untapped potential that the devs are failing to realize and with new games on the horizon they
    Have you looked at games like Rust, Conan or ARK? All of those are hugely successful survival PVP games. Rust and ARK are always in the top 10 games on steam for most played. It's absolute nonsense to suggest PVP games of the survival variety are somehow not popular. If anything they are very popular on PC.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Assuming that A) Keen is unaware of any potential competition, B) Keen wants to compete in the Survival PvP market, and C) Space Engineers is a space lego combat game.

So Space Engineers should stop trying to be a space engineering game, where is has virtually no competition, and start trying to be a space combat game, an area where the game clearly struggles because that was never the intent.

I like it when people try to appeal to Keen's business decisions, as if Keen is unaware of which side of the bread the butter is on. I mean, it's kind of absurd to believe that Keen doesn't spend any of the money they have made on market research, or that they have survived this long without it? I can assure you this: Keen's target market is not the survival PvP player, and losing every single one of them might not be ideal but it wouldn't be the end, either.

Around here, threats to leave are often met with encouragement.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Something like this maybe?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

I own Medieval engineers and two of the DLC's but my point is this game has a lot of untapped potential that the devs are failing to realize and with new games on the horizon they
    Have you looked at games like Rust, Conan or ARK? All of those are hugely successful survival PVP games. Rust and ARK are always in the top 10 games on steam for most played. It's absolute nonsense to suggest PVP games of the survival variety are somehow not unpopular.
    All I am suggesting is that they should not ignore a large portion of their player base. If this was just PVE they would not have nearly half the amount of players that they do. I and many other purchased the game after viewing the trailers that it would have strong PVP elements as well as PVE ones. So far there has been very little effort made to the PVP side of game and in fact the recent updates have even disrupted whatever little PVP content there was. All us PVP folks are asking for is some content, PVE have had 5 years of content, surely it isn't much to ask for a few extra weapons and some balance changes.

13. KissSh0t Master Engineer

If I'm not mistaken I think the next update might have some different weapons.

It is just a guess though based on what I have seen.

My hope is for the player held weapon's to have actual reload animation instead of the ammunition teleporting directly from the players inventory and into the player held weapon with no need to reload.......

I think it's kinda crazy that we are able to hold have 1000 bullets in our pocket and just shoot it all with no need to reload, that in my opinion is something that needs to be fixed..

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Why would they want to compete with the space pvp games honestly? I mean, Empyrion is basically the only competition Space Engineers has currently. Why brand off to PvP space games only to face more competition?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

Well for one you will obtain a bigger slice of the market. Secondly you will keep your existing player base happy.

16. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

If you have a unique product with little to no competition then why would you put yourself in a position where you have more competitors and thus would make potentially less money? Space Engineers hits a portion of the market where there is little to no competition and fills a role very few if any other games can fill. No it's not perfect as there is no such thing as a perfect game, but you won't find many games like Space Engineers out there. Deliberately opening yourself to more competition can just as easily backfire. What happens if your competitor comes up with something better than you because you opened yourself to the competition? Then you've just lost your money and the game goes the way of the DoDo.

As for "keeping your existing player base happy," what of the folks who don't want SE to become more pvp oriented than it already is? What of those folks or is your little crew all that matters.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Also you do not get your way in SE unless you are good friend with Xocliw...... I kid, I kid, put the flame throwers down!

Is all the wit I could muster to combat the silliness of "gimmie my way or else".

• Like Like x 3
  18. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

Xocliw for dictator 2020

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. KissSh0t Master Engineer

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

I don't see how adding more weapons or other PVP content will impact on your dull PVE lifestyle. If they did add something that made the game harder for PVE players then they should do what other games do and have two modes PVP and PVE. That why neither mode infringes on the other and everyone is happy. Take for instance that broken shield block, that is a PVE feature intruding on the PVP play style, its forced upon PVP players without their input. You have said many times that people shouldn't be forced to play a certain, well that feature clearly is doing just that.

21. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

It can be turned off or not used. What you are describing is a situation where someone wants the shields in their game, not caring what it does to PvP, and it intrudes upon your idea of how the game should work. If it was your world, you would disable or remove the block, and then everyone would have to play your way.

If you are playing the game on a computer and/or world that isn't yours, you will be forced to play the way the owner thinks is perfect. So, if you go into someone else's game where the concept of PvP is different from yours, you should not be upset if they complain about how you play. You are not playing their way, and that's your fault, not theirs.

Keen is willing to have their game appeal to any playstyle, but they are not interested in being the go-to game for any one in particular. That's why it's a sandbox. That's also why it's so incredibly easy to make the game hardcore survival PvP if that's what you want.

I don't think Keen really makes a distinction between PvE and PvP players. You should also be aware that Keen gets a lot of information from Steam about who's playing, what way they're playing, and how much. That's probably not their only data source, either. The data source they use the least is the one that comes from the forums where some individual advises that they are missing an opportunity that the individual believes will increase their revenue. Frankly, I would not be surprised to learn that the vast majority of hardcore PvP players have already left and are not likely to return, and Keen has had a chance to analyse the impact. They know what happened, they know why it happened, they know what difference it made, and they know what they're going to do about it. We don't know, and we can't find out. From a financial standpoint they are the only ones that have to live with the consequences of their decisions. The rest of us can just move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Just to make clear. I'm not against bringing new weapons or special kind of new armor to the game. It will benefit the PvE side of the game as well. But to try and focus this game towards more PvP mechanics would be time wasted.
    You will get a better PvP experience in other games and that's totally fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

There you go again making assumptions and speaking on something you have zero knowledge of. You know nothing of what I do when I'm playing the game because the only thing I've told you is that I have little to no interest in pvp any longer. For all you know I have a Death Star I've been developing for some time and I've been buying the materials from Stardriver's merchant fleet. Joking aside you don't know what I do aside from what I have told you.

Once more this game is a sandbox game and is not exclusively pvp or pve, nor should it be. If you want exclusive pvp game modes, you can create that on your own server, or otherwise use the drop ship arena mode. If SE was just a regular game or an mmo like World of Warcraft, then I would agree with you that pvp and pve need to remain separate. However SE is a sandbox and not an mmo. With as much control as is given to server owners, it can be the pvp paradise you want it to be.

I'm not opposed to new weapons, legit energy shields, and new blocks being introduced to the game within reason, as everyone would have the option to use them or not. In regards to the safe zone, we've been through this, you are not the deciding authority on what is broken or isn't broken as that would be Keen, and by their standards the safe zone is working as intended until we hear otherwise. Secondly on this point, you have the option of disabling the safe zones and simply turning them off. Malware gave you instructions on how to do it in one of the other threads already. I'm not opposed to new weapons and items within reason, as I said above, since folks would have option to use those items or not. What I am 100% opposed to is someone making demands that changes occur at the developer level with no recourse for myself or others to opt out of said changes. I like the idea of energy shields, but I'm not going to force other people to have them enabled on their worlds if they don't want them. Your solutions to date would do exactly that and force changes on everyone else they have no control over. Point being you have always had the power to disable that safe zone block and/or make it impossible for players to use them, you simply choose not to and instead are trying to force everyone else to change over to YOUR playstyle and method. The fact that you're continuing to complain about a block you can disable is like someone complaining they don't like the show that's on their TV currently, but refusing to change the channel and then demanding the show be removed for everyone else, all because they can't be bothered to press one button on their remote.

Point being you are not being forced to keep the safe zone block enabled. If it's still turned on, that's because you have chosen to leave it on and are complaining over a choice YOU decided to make. No one is going to hold a gun to your head and tell you that you have to play with that block turned on. If you don't like it then turn it off or quit complaining.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

All the PvP players may be interested in a game that will be hitting Oct 4th on Steam, Stars End.

25. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

And he's coming to the right place cause:

She just started shooting. She wasn't supposed to. No one is aboard. She only stopped because she didn't want to wreck the station. Lesson: Keep your distance.

So we actually get to something that is on topic, which is upcoming space PvP games. Now we're supposed to discuss why this game and others are going to be the death of Space Engineers.

Go on, discuss it. Marek needs to hear this.

• Like Like x 1
  26. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Is it really fair to people who have in fact nailed things down to claim that KSH has nailed anything down... Ever?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.