Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 0.4.0 - Farming, Crafting Progression and Iron Ore

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hakon102 Apprentice Engineer

very nice update!

2. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

They spoke about caveins during the original launch period.... Not sure if any of that is gonna be done.

3. Lord_Anubis 2 Trainee Engineer

I know, but I don't have the seedbags in Inventory or "G - Menu", ??? but I have a hole bunch of Flex and Pumkins and I don't know how to make Seeds for my little garden of it. I have searched all Workstations. Watched the KCN Medieval Engineers Update Stream, but Nothing...:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

tried crafting the seedbags? as in in your inventory craft

5. Cetric Junior Engineer

Charcoal is a historic ressource, won by burning wood in special low-oxygen huts in the forest (related profession was the 'charburner') and absolutely sufficient for forging iron. For hardening the iron the blacksmith used water bathing as shock treatment. Black coal out of the mine and steel out of blast furnaces is science-fiction for our period of interest. This was not decently mastered before eras past the middle ages.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Jananton Trainee Engineer

Well, obviously now is the time to start a new world and experience all this new stuff first hand. ;)

Lets see how many times I die this time before getting anywhere. :)

Greets,

Jan

7. ZZTong Trainee Engineer

I'm new to these forums. How have the designers defined the target time period? I see people making Norman castles, so beyond 1066?

8. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

Update 0.4.0.91072:

Fixes:

- Slightly increased inventory size for small wooden chest, barrel and large wooden chest. (7 for small chest, 14 for barrel, 21 for large chest)
    - Fixed an issue where Mechanics could not be researched.
    - Fixed some mistakes in the door and window definitions that could cause a crash.
    - Fixed some crashes with the player inventory.
    - Fixed some crashes related to parallel entity creation.
    - Fixed some crashes that would happen when the game was trying to close.
    - Fixed a crash that could happen when a barbarian would spawn without a weapon.
    - Fixed a crash that would happen on servers when editing the access rights on a door or window.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

What were the inventory size increases? 1 slot?
    Would we have to make a new game? My old small chests still have same number of slots.

10. Sir_Moodz Apprentice Engineer

There is a bug that no longer allows you to use custom fast travel overrides in a mod, it only works locally. All new planets now have default fast travel and now I can't use my mod where you can only travel by road

11. Cetric Junior Engineer

We don't have a defined era, that's true. A remarkable modder in this community, and he is a Honorary Cardinal of Holy Keen Church of Engineers, is dedicating himself to use the game for recapturing Roman history. That is, antiquity.
    So what is 'medieval', you may ask?
    The usual definition is a time frame at least starting at Charlemagne 800 AD and fading out in the Renaissance-Reformation era, around 1500 AD, more or less.
    But the transition time between late antiquity - migration period of Barbarians - early middle ages is somewhat greyish and blurred. For a Western Roman the end of times was the fall of Rome in fifth century AD, while Eastern Romans (Byzantines) continued pretty long in old glory (and despite inner quarreling about such mind boggling universal issues like pictures in churches yes or no :p).
    I would date the beginning of early middle ages in the Merovingian period, which isn't short with 300 years of decline until Carolingians took over.

• Like Like x 1
  12. EngineeringMann Trainee Engineer

Why not? I would love to have a crown as faction leader. Be a real benevolent despotic monarch for once...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cleardragonf Trainee Engineer

Woot! Ore!? sweet! that may mean that more weapons and tools may be on the way!!!!!! lol with a new metal, that means newer things!J(hoping) lol keep up the great works guys. :D

14. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

If its like Space Engineers its going to stay the same, but if you place a new chest, or empty it and place it down again it will be bigger.

15. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

Is there a better way than mining iron with the stone axe in the early game?

16. Cetric Junior Engineer

Don't you still own a precious pickaxe from a save game which dates before this update? I do. I started making holes in the ground where those new orange-reddish spots turned up, but until now I only get stones out of them. My concern now is, does the update change surface color of the assumed ore deposits in the ground, but fails to put ore underneath - if we don't let the game create a new world from scratch?
    --
    The update however had a funny effect on my building. All window sections with shutters were cut out and the building was in the process of collapsing, when I came back to the site (had to walk over the map, because I have two settlements very distant to each other and fast travel does not work due to isolated mountain position). Probably because now the windows with shutters require 20% metal parts (while doors surprisingly don't). May also have to do with my claim block expiring, but it was still there when I arrived and "loaded it up" with tax payment.

17. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

I tend to start a new game with each update. The iron yield to stone yield are a bit low (5 stone, 1 iron ore) with a stone axe. I understand the efficiency of a better piece of equipment, but It took me quite a few trips and a lot of iron to get enough to make a smithy, do some research just to get to the point of making an iron pickaxe. I have maybe 20 small chests full of large stone as a result. (I know I'll eventually burn through all that stone, but progression felt slow.)

18. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

Update 0.4.0.91171:
    Fixes:

- Fixed an issue where re-plowing soil that was previously planted and harvested would not allow you to plant on it again.
    - Fixed a crash caused by FIPS policy being enabled on the OS.

• Like Like x 2
  19. mathias casaer Trainee Engineer

there are richer veins available, which yield 2-4, 3 -3 , 4 - 2 , and 6 -0 iron to stone

20. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Blast furnaces existed in ancient China, as for coal, it was used in reverberatory furnaces it's Coke that wasn't a historical fuel until the industrial revolution

21. Bogus Trainee Engineer

Hello all ;D
    I love this game and the Updates are makes more amazing, but one question the I have, why have you delete the stone pickaxe ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  22. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I personally agree with removal of the stone pickaxe. You cant reasonably make a pickaxe out of stone and if you did, it would likely just break upon striking stone. It makes more sense to keep the generic stone axe (rock on a stick) for first acquiring stone and iron.

23. Fvalstounge Trainee Engineer

Wow. Great stuff!
    Obviously, I need to rethink how I play. If we have to start over with new worlds on every major update, I just wasted weeks building nothing. Understandable, but disappointing.

24. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

I feel like im breaking physics... I mine with the wooden mallet :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Merandix Junior Engineer

Loving the update, but I dislike the huge plow and sowing machine. It doesn't feel medieval... they actually look like modern farming machines. I would also like plows especially to require a large force (maybe once draft animals are introduced?). A single ox/horse should barely be able to pull a single blade plow. I now see a medieval engineer in the video giving a rotary farming thingy a slight push, and there's 5 or 6 blades cultivating the soil like it's nothing. To make matters worse, its also seeding and harvesting at the same time.

I love the mechanic, but I hope the potential for this gets used and full automation will be kept a bit on the background here... while somewhat fun, the way it is currently automated looks a bit gameplay breaking to me... it makes the entire food mechanic feel a bit 'done' after you fully automate. That feels a bit too modern for a game called 'Medieval Engineers' in my humble opinion.

So, hopefully this becomes an excuse to add more animals. Not only draft animals, but perhaps also cows, pigs, chickens etc? And a breeding mechanic? I think I should stop now.. :)

Anyway, this post may sound slightly negative, but great work on these last few updates!

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Cetric Junior Engineer

You noticed how the tone differs in our Medieval Engineers biotope from the one in sister forum section of Space Engineers? We seem to be much friendlier here and more optimistic about game future than the naggers I read there, just hours after a mighty update! Ungrateful infidels! :stare:
    --- Automerge ---
    That may be the case, but nobody knew about what had been invented in China at this time; no contact and too large distance, with hostile muslim societies in between. Even when Marco Polo published his silk road travel story in the beginning of 14th century, everybody thought it was a fairy tale for decades (And today still doubts exist the Polo family ever was there, due to some contradictions).
    The Chinese also used rockets for warfare and they were not tried out in Europe before British army employed 'Congreve rockets' at the start of 19th century, after having learned of the design from India. However, did not replace canon artillery.
    And in European middle ages there was no need for hardened steel as in modern times if you could use forged iron satisfactorily for anything imaginable then.
    Black coal out of the mine is much harder to get and thus expensive, while charcoal was available literally anywhere in Europe (as long as you have wood) at low cost and in large quantities. The higher energy value black coal admittedly has could not be exploited sufficiently by technology then to justify the efforts to get it in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  27. ZZTong Trainee Engineer

Not that I've found, and those stone axes wear out really fast when mining. I'm sure there's plenty of development and tweaking left to do.

On a similar note, you cannot make a weapon at first, so I found I recovered multiple maces and swords from barbarians long before I could make one. I'd suggest they implement a "club" into the starter recipes.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  28. Cetric Junior Engineer

Fact that the 'barbarians' come with more advanced equipment while your engineer hasn't even learned how to make iron weapons such as swords raises the question who is barbarian and who the civilized advanced guy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

Lol

30. ZZTong Trainee Engineer

Those same barbarians will bring you goulash, which you don't know how to make either.

The salad recipe has me questioning if I even know how to make salad in real life. I know, I know, lettuce isn't in the game yet. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.