Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 0.5.1 - Now With Shovels

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, May 9, 2017.

1. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

You need to make rope at the spinning wheel in survival.

2. Cetric

For starters you can strike the ground with a stone axe which is available anytime without research, by combining small stone and sticks. It gets consumed soon, but you will not have problems with a sackful of those axes. Just keep chopping! And don't forget to research the better tools, lest the barbarians laugh at you for looking foolish hacking rocks like a maniac. :):mad:

3. Bogus

I can this realy ? I have the ston axe in the hand and can not strike the ground ..

4. Cetric

Huh! When I last played ME I could do this. Was it changed by the update? Sorry, I have to work now and will return to ME in the evening for testing, at another computer. But this 'stone axe versus ground' chopping was a main stay all the time since metal ore mining was introduced, as you don't have pick axes for quite some time until you research metallurgy. How else would you dig into ore layers?
    --- Automerge ---
    Of course you have to aim properly, not striking horizontally as you would chop a tree. You got to position the view in such way you face the ground, the engineer should then assume a vertical strike striking animation by clicking. Just like you cut lumber into logs when the tree is down.

5. Bogus

I wanted to cut big stones from a mountain and that used to go very well with the stone ax, but after the update it does not go with me anymore.

6. Cetric

Hm, sounds like the tools and their effects may have been completely reworked and stone axe has been reduced to wood chopping exclusively (sounds logical). That has to mean voxel treatment is now a privilege of shovel and pick axe alone, with shovels being able to penetrate any kind of voxels including rock (sounds less logical). Strange, when you don't have an iron blade shovel and have only the wooden one and it is supposed to penetrate rock...

7. Deepflame ME Director Developer

From now on, tools and weapons are distinct equipment, and only shovels and pickaxes can interact with voxels. Shovels can only work with soil, but they can also add soil. Pickaxes can only mine, but they cut through any voxel.
    To make a pickaxe in survival, you start by digging the iron soil with the shovel, then with the iron ore, you can research and then make a pickaxe. :)

8. Sir_Moodz

Will mod updating be fixed today?

9. Deepflame ME Director Developer

We're working hard on it to make sure it works again today.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bogus

hmm ... ok ..

11. Deepflame ME Director Developer

Medieval Engineers 0.5.1.C8FC7B:
    - Fixed the main client and DS crashes that we received over the night! Thanks for the bug reports! Special thanks to X_Wing_Ian for the DS issues.
    - Fixed mod uploading not working, now you can upload mods again. Special thanks to Stori3d_Past and Phoenix84 for the mod publishing issues.
    - Fixed an issue preventing many worlds from loading.
    - Fixed mouse motion stuttering.
    - Improved lodding on trees, providing some FPS gains for people with lower end systems.
    - Fixed Barbarian trying to be a gangsta, and now he holds his mace properly again.
    - Fixed landscaping stakes not having correct research and resource costs.
    - Fixed ore stockpile constraint not working.
    - Fixed missing tooltips on the mod screen.
    - Fixed rope crafting in survival.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Bahroth

I really hope this isn't a bug, is the soil you can dig iron ore from the same soil that is used as an ore marker?
    If so is it a random chance that ore is given?

13. Deepflame ME Director Developer

It's directly underneath the surface patch.

14. Pegas519

my world has reset all my ownership. I can longer build/interact with my castle

15. Deepflame ME Director Developer

We are aware of this issue, but we lack the game saves to reproduce this. Can you send us your save?

16. Pegas519

For sure, I just created this new world 2 weeks ago in survival.
    --- Automerge ---
    Published world.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=923065291

17. Bahroth

@Deepflame, thanks! It seems that I found a few deposits with REALLY shallow dirt layer :p

18. Pegas519

@Deepflame - You want my save game files or published world?

19. dunken

We are having performance issues after latest release.

Also, how do I get stones now?
    Edit: ok, you need a pickaxe to get stone now.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  20. Sir_Moodz

Anyone else having problems with controls suddenly? I cant use a key if its binded to multiple things like spectator and movement. This should not be.
    It also says GUI pitch on same key but that binding does not even exist...

Edit: it was a problem with my world, managed to fix it

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  21. Ovenmit

I must say its a bit daft that you cant use your tools as weapons now... that is precisely what most people would have used back then.

22. Akamiru

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. torgo

Had this in the Bug Reports this morning, don't know if anyone saw it there yet... https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApI637vwbReLkDmXvcmgXom9HvLZ

24. BentLent98

Please tell me these Modding improvements will be back-ported to Space Engineers. Please tell me we won't get left in the dust like other features... *Cough*Compound Blocks*Cough*
    But in all seriousness, this entity coding system in Space Engineers would be awesome. So please tell me we're getting them in SE.

25. Bad Humour

yeah but it still bugs me that I cant swing my axe willy nilly, it removes a sense of freedom sure it wont do anything but it feels too limiting when you cant swing it when you want to. Also the fact that timbers are made of wood axes are made to cut wood so why cant I use it to demolish wooden structures. Or another thing that annoys me is that I cant use my mallet to whack ppl with ever heard of Warhammers are a thing as are battle axes. Sure some changes of making things more specific help with the playability but they've been made so restricted that they no longer make sense.

26. Sir_Moodz

Seems weird to remove attack functionality from basically any tool. I understand that you can do only 1 function with a tool, but attacking is separate from all the other functions, it should be a basic function of any tool.
    Also people just like to be able to swing in the air at any moment. Not being able to do even that simple thing breaks immersion for me and makes the game feel "scripted"

• Like Like x 1
  27. Frostik

At least they should implement more weapons. If you get attacked by barbarians in the early game you are dead because you need iron to craft a maze.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Cetric

Irritations in the fan base detected.
    Relax, folks, Tim will rock that boat as always. Give him & the team some time.

[​IMG]
    Game Developers in Medieval times. Some very basic coding.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Sir_Moodz

There is a "club" now

30. FlakMagnet

I must declare myself 'IRKED' at the new weapon and tool changes.

It force research into a very 'narrow' scope. You cannot mine rock without iron. That means finding an iron deposit and digging up 'iron soil'? Then you can research smelting and make an iron pickaxe. Up to this point, you cannot construct any stone building or research anything else that required stone in it's recipe.

So....either find an iron ore deposit or you can't progress.

It also takes away the possibility of any major works without plenty of iron, as you cannot chop stone with stone tools. You have to use iron even when you would rather not.

Lets face it...prehistoric man could carve out a rock cut ditch with an antler pick.....having killed a deer to make that pick with a basic stone tool.

Enlightened Medievel man can't grow food without an iron plough, defend himself with a stone axe, and can't develop without a plentiful stock of iron ore.

I preferred the setup before. I really did. 0.5.1 has brought come serious code improvements and some clear upgrades but the 'one purpose' tool/weapon thing is not an improvement. It's the opposite.

Stone pickaxe ......that's what we need. And Creepers....