Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 0.5.1 - Now With Shovels

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, May 9, 2017.

1. Sir_Moodz

Why use stone tools for large digging operations, its a lot slower.
    Iron is not hard to find and pickaxes are cheap And they can even be recycled.
    The only thing they need to change is being able to attack with any tool

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. FlakMagnet

AAARGGHHH!!!!! Damn stupid shovel!! Iron soil my boil infested butt cheeks! Burned my through half a dozen shovels in various locations and all I got was a metric poop-tonne of soil. Not a scrap of iron ore.

Will try again when this is fixed...but until then, it's back to space for me

3. DanielCoffey

You are digging down into the red stuff, yes? Works fine for me in a vanilla game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FlakMagnet

You have to find VERY specific ore deposits. I have managed to find one such deposit. If the ore is close to the surface on rocky areas, forget it. You have no chance.

It has to be brown soil with orange blobs in it. If the ore is just under the surface, it fails. That's way too fussy and unclear for my liking.

5. Sanfard

I see an unused key binding for "Behavior modifier" in the tools section of the key binding menu, which gives me the idea that it would be neat if we could toggle some sort of "combat mode" to be able to attack with any tool or weapon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

It's used for the shovel to ignore the leveling plane. Totally used.

7. BloodThunder

8. Fluzard

Oh no, you stole my idea...:p
    I think it's a quite good idea, even if it complicates the game,but it can be a relevant solution.

I see here a lot of message, and many of its are about the iron. A new player can't find iron by himself. This update is so good to improve the new player gameplay, but if he/she can't find ore, he/she loses interest and that's dead. So, for example, mark the iron deposits in the map (if it's possible, I mean it is necessary to simplify the iron ore's research) as an option for beginners and add another quest that speaks about it.

9. Kiin Kendov

Thank you very much for the shovel tool! It's very great to have!
    But may I say that the wooden shovel is a bit to great? I would like it to be at least 3 swings / voxel with wooden shovel. (now just one swing)
    May I wish?
    wooden shovel - 5 swings - only soil
    stone shovel - 3 swings - soil and small chance for iron in soil
    iron shovel - 1 swings - soil and always iron in soil

I just would like a little more struggle to survive, thats all. :)

Keep up the great work!

Cheers!

10. boromir

Whoa, kiin, that's like not real, man. In what world do we jab an iron shovel into brown dirt and get iron? That's amazing. There's like no challenge in that.

Iron ore should appear in iron veins, and it does. Fortunately, Keen exposed the presence of iron merely in the surface, so we can like look at the grass and we can just see it. That's super simple. What's even better is that not all iron deposits are the same. That's like reality! How awesome is that!? Digging with the shovel is an awesome feature and shouldn't be used to extract iron ore.

Now attacking, that's a whole 'nother story. People get smacked across the head with shovels all the time! This seems useful to me.

- boromir

11. tmike

well you probley should notget whole lumps of ore when you dig in soil even rocky soil but you should be able to smelt the stuff for ingots or ore, they do have to give is a way to get or after all

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  12. Kiin Kendov

I think it's ok that we get iron from digging with the shovel, but just a small amount. and I think we should have to dig "a lot" to get enough iron to learn ironworks.
    I said "stone shovel - 3 swings - soil and small chance for iron in soil".

Before one have a iron pickaxe I dont think one should get iron from veins in the solid rock. (maybe a small chance with the stone axe)
    I believe it would be possible to find trace of iron in the soil near a iron vein.

I'm not an expert, but that's what i think would be good for the game.

13. Frostik

Why stone shovel? It´s just unrealistic. Nobody would use a shovel made out of stone cause it´s way too heavy.

14. Kiin Kendov

15. boromir

I think a prime example of the weaponized use of tools prior to the middle ages is the pitch fork. "Witch hunts" were often formed by "armed" peasants, hunting for criminals and other village pests.

During the middle ages my guess would be that they didn't fear bringing tools known for inflicting particularly more ugly forms of injury (e.g. scythe and hand scythe). I could be simply referencing folk-lore (or media) rather than fact. I'm not certain on this last part.

16. tmike

Bormir, they use of some tools as weapons is well known and dacumented in history. Pitch forcks, hay forcks, or good examples, hammers mallets and mauls, and axes, knives, and sickles. even things like Fails and balls and chains where develped form the flails used to thrash wheet. and well there was a pole arm call a milatary sythe a farming sythe wouldnt be well suited for use as weapoin, the odd shape of the hand and the agnle of the blade would make it vary ackward to use as a weapon, and the thin blade deside for cutting hay or grase would be easy to damage or brake in combat. And what most people dont think about is most people had actualy weapoins in the middle ages. Axes, Spears (probly boar spears) and deffrent types of bows. Granted early dark age tools (from the fall of rome, to the high middleages about 10th-13th cenetries, ) there was not much deffirnts between a warrors axe and a farmers, or woodsmens axe.

17. boromir

Yeah, I was sceptic about the scythe... Tools as weapons would go back to the caveman!

18. tmike

tools as weapons, and improvised weapons are interesting to think about, but I dont really think about a dark age or earlier ax, except maybe the stone as a tool that does double duty as a weapon, But a weapon that does double duty as a tool... At least in tell there where specialized axes that where developed to when you get near the end of middle ages. When you start to see the emergence, of the Felling axe, the hewing axe, the spitting ax, and the battle ax.... And I for one would be most warrie of I was raiding a village, of the black smith wielding a hammer coming out of the smithy to appose me

19. Ed Frost