Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 0.5.11 - Hay Now

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary
    Hello, Engineers! This week we are introducing the missing hay roof blocks! In addition to that, we also fixed a couple of annoying bugs. Most importantly, changing the toolbar page on the inventory now works again, and placing loose chests in the world no longer consumes other chests. Finally, we fixed a bug that could make rope drums fly around aimlessly, which, while funny, was not good for the game.

Tomorrow, Wednesday the 19th of July, at 19:00 CET+1, we will be going live on the Keen Community Network channel on Twitch, where we will be sieging a castle made by one of the members of the community. We will attempt to take the castle while they will be trying to defend it. Don't miss it! :)

Features
    - Added variety to hay roof blocks.

Fixes
    - Fixed containers with contents being consumed by area inventory.
    - Fixed changing toolbar on inventory screen not working.
    - Fixed signpost icons not loading correctly.
    - Fixed a bug that would cause rope drums to fly around aimlessly.
    - Janitor now allows you to exit the planet's atmosphere in Creative Mode or with Admin Mode enabled.

Medieval Engineers is still in development. Everything in the game is subject to change.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ed Frost

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY

3. Bad Humour

I thought it would never come. Guess those little birds were right :D

4. Helaton

Just wanted to toss this in. Awesome!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Forcedminer

but is the engineer an all-star, get your game on, go play.. *Groan*
    --- Automerge ---
    whys the creative mode called janitor mode? should be called..."Wizard Mode"

6. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Developer

It's not. The janitor is the thing that puts things back on the surface of the planet when they fall off.

7. FlakMagnet

Yay..I can finish off my house of straw.

Are we going to get Wolves though......I'm worried about the durability of thatch if that happens

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. MorshuArtsInc

I remember that it was possible to fly into space shortly after the release of Medieval Planets, and was kind of disappointed when I found out it didn't work anymore when I tried it again recently. Seeing the return of the Neo Medieval Cyclone Jet Space Medieval Engineer fills my heart with joy.

9. Cetric

No middle ages are complete without some witches and mages to burn at the stake. Who dare ask for flying and such blasphemic things. I'll report you to inquisition, heretic! :D

10. MorshuArtsInc

Hue and cry, I am unmasked! SHIAK KAZIM! *vanishes in explosion*

*returns* Wait, that would actually be a nice gameplay mechanic. Like, you know. Fire. And/or magic. But not the flashy wand swinging Harry Potter like magic. I'm talking about witchcraft. Ritual circles. Poppets. Effigies. Curses. Things that people actually tried to perform magic with. But maybe only during the Halloween season. Some "find the witch" game mode on servers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ed Frost

you sir... made me laugh... thanks... +1 for the suggestion :D

12. JuStX2

J/c but why would you want to let a player go out of the stratosphere even in creative? it's not like they had spaceships to get to other planets :p

Although I admit it's been a dream (and recently in the aeons reality) to fly higher farther and faster than anyone else; But it seems to me to be a bit beyond even a stretch of mideval times to be "Spacecraft" (although many people will tell you that there WERE plans for Planes in the Mideval Times - which is true; they just didn't fly)

Albeit one of the best conjuring tricks to date is to subvert the meaning of words in such a way that - yes - they invent meanings that weren't originally there.
    --- Automerge ---
    Conversely to many beliefs - wolves rarely go after humans, and even more rarely go after structures - what they are attracted to is trash and dead meat - which depending on the occasion might flirt with humanity - but only rarely.
    --- Automerge ---
    Has ME Finally Inherited SE's "clang" feature tho?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  13. Jananton

Oh boy, live castle siege, who needs Game of Thrones when we can watch that. ;)

Greets,

Jan

14. Cetric

Fire I want to see too, as I scetched out in one of the previous update comment threads. Plus water. But please noooooo fantasy elements. I simply go crazy when I see turn up elves, gromlins, zombies, orcs or what else the usual suspects are (very common in other games dealing with pseudo-middle ages, so much, that people cannot picture the era without them) here in this sphere.

(Burning mages is authentic period folklore and does not count as 'fantasy')

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. MorshuArtsInc

Yeah, that's why I brought up some more folkloristic approach on magic, witch does not really need to actually do anything. Adding all those post-Tolkien fantasy races (albeit most of them being based on old Norse mythology) would not be the best idea. Maybe as a mod. Apart from that, I think we're still quite far away from having well working NPCs included into the game.

Also, OBJECTION! <history rant>Burning witches and warlock was by far more common AFTER the Middle Ages, especially during the so called Little Ice Age (~1500 to ~1850), when climate changes caused harsh winters and many crop failures and therefore famine and wars (the French Revolution by the way could be seen as the Grande Finale of this miserable age, its last breath was the Great Famine in Ireland).
    Ergo folks needed someone to blame. And because blaming solely the Jews for everything (like the plague etc.) became boring, they concentrated on other unpopular peer groups. Like, well, women. Especially lower class women and/or ones that knew some herbology. Or people of an opposite christian denomination. Or epileptics. The list goes on.
    Luckily, most witch burnings these days only take place on the internet.</history rant>

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Cetric

Ahhh - he caught me on my pseudo-intellectual desinformation campaign... you are right, most witch hunts were done in and after renaissance era. As 'Malleus Maleficarum' was published in 1486 and served as fundament for search, identtification and treatment of witchcraft.
    --
    However, I have two detailed books about this context, "Apokalyptiker und Propheten im Mittelater" by Norman Cohn and "Magie und Magier im Mittelater" by Christa Tuczay which give examples within our time frame of interest. Seems they are just not as famous as the later and better documented cases.
    The appearance of "false prophets" who went often so far as to announce themselves as reincarnations of Jesus or Maria, could not get criminalized and persecuted without declaring them heretic and as the work of evil (what else). Of coure those adventures always ended with execution of the trespassers, as they challenged medieval order of Church and authorities.
    Until beginning of 13th century, Church and secular lords fought mages in more simple ways. From 1230 on, magic was seen in unison with blasphemy, as a principle.
    Being caught in magical acts meant from 506 AD on (council of Agde/Languedoc) your excommunication, whether you belonged to clergy or not. Excommunication was maybe the worst punishment ever, more severe than put to death, because you were believed to be denied entry to paradise thereupon. In times when life on Earth was seen as nothing than a probation time for the Netherworld.
    10th century AD saw the introduction of death penalties for mages in Spain, Sicily, Hungary and Bohemia. Because of Arabian influence contemporaries thought of Spain and Southern Italy as regions extraordinarily infested by magicians .
    'Decretum', a 20 volume collection of previous legal works, by Burchhard von Worms (+1025), talks in book 19 about magic, about the evil eye, abortion potions, women riding through the air. He denies the possibility of love potions, transformation of bodies or intercourse with demons (though all this is discussed).
    A similar work from Bologna in 1140 'Gratians Decretum' dealed with ecclesiastic jurisdiction and named regulations aiming against divination and spell, but excluded the influencing of weather.
    And think about Jews being accused of magic at all times, particularly at the beginning of the First Crusade, when enraged hysterics grabbed them first, before they could lay their hands on more distant targets.
    First millenium 1000 AD saw a high watermark of protective measures by scared people in all directions, official faith as well as magic, because they (like some people in 2000...) expected the "end of all days" and the return of Christus, for beginning world judgement.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. MorshuArtsInc

Hey, those books seem worth looking into. Thanks m8! Although (or because?) I'm more of an early modern guy (especially the 18th century), I feel the need to broaden my historical knowledge. I kind of studied medieval history, but only for two semesters.
    And now, because I love the 18th century, I got an early modern recommendation for you too: http://ediss.sub.uni-hamburg.de/volltexte/2007/3221/pdf/DissBachter.pdf.

18. Fluzard

Nice update. I was waiting for this since a long time.

19. Sir_Moodz

Hay now, hay now, where is that update?

20. Ed Frost

upppdaaaateeee