Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 0.5.19 - A Crate Update

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Drui Keen Update Guy Administrator

Summary
    Hello, Engineers! This week we got a neat new storage block for you guys to use, that showcases the power of the entity component system! This new crate has a dynamic inventory constraint, permitting only 1 item type at a time, and it will dynamically update the crate's front side to show you the contents, so if you want to know just how many skulls you have, now you can!

Features:
    - Added crates with dynamic inventory constraints and content indicator.

Modding:
    - Added an InventoryWatcherComponent, it is a multi-component so you can put multiple InventoryWatcherComponents on the crate, just make sure they have a unique subtype id.
    - Added a DynamicInventoryConstraint, it is an inventory constraint that only permits 1 item type in the inventory.

For both additions, look at Content/Data/CubeBlocks/Storage/CrateWood.sbc for an example.

Castle Siege:
    The next castle siege will be something different! This time we will be defending a castle, and we will choose a team to siege us! In order to challenge us, you will have to make a video about you and four team members working together to build a siege camp in a timespan of about 45 minutes. Upload the video to Youtube, and we will pick the team with the best siege camp setup. :)

You are allowed to build it in creative, but avoid spawning large blueprints. Small siege equipment blueprints are okay (catapults, trebuchets, etc), but no massive castles. Once we are playing you will have Medieval Master available to you so you have a chance to prepare the materials you need. There are no hard rules, but keep it in the spirit of the event. :)

To clarify, the video itself doesn't have to be 45 minutes long, it's okay to cut the whole process into a shorter video. Just show us what you guys can do in about 45 minutes!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Nice content indicator.

3. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

YAAAAY

4. Rkthegreat Trainee Engineer

Nice update and thanks again for sieging my castle, the others and i had great fun :D

Have a question regarding the siege camp building, do you have to build it in survival or is creative also allowed?

5. Deepflame ME Director Staff

You can build in creative, I've updated the post with some additional information. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Masked Death Apprentice Engineer

The "less than" function for cleanup is great. After a siege you can now just remove junk in the area without having to search it out and remove it piece-by-piece.

7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

this crate is for my rock collection
    and this crate is for my small sticks
    and this crate is for my severed heads collection
    and this crate is for my iron bars
    and this crate is for my weapons

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Rkthegreat Trainee Engineer

Okay thanks for the info, the Ironborn have been preparing some coool stuff :D

9. Sanfard Apprentice Engineer

I like the idea of castle siege. I spend most of my time in Medieval Engineers creating all kinds of siege equipment, both clang and non-clang. I even created a castle siege map, once upon a time. Too bad I don't have a team, though.

10. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

Great update, especially the new admin features.
    I have another question regarding the siege camp build. How do we record it? Like a compilation of our first person views? I would like to have a seperated static spectator camera of the whole area but I guess this would require another client?

11. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

if i had any!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

:p
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

you got it sir

• Like Like x 1
  14. Benjamin Trainee Engineer

Like the crate addition. As a bit of feedback, I think it would look better on the outside of the crate if the icon weren't full color. I think desaturating it completely or trying to make it a branded or carved look would make it look far more realistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Crate for goulash... Yea!:carlton:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Cetric Junior Engineer

So the continuous begging for a 'skull stockpile' finally bore fruit for that one guy on youtube commentaries...
    --
    One of us should ask for water week after week there, so the wonder will happen and his thirst will be quenched...

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Köbi 2 Apprentice Engineer

Yes. Water please and horses.

And because of the total lack of any roadmap or direction, it is entierly up to us to speculate. So lets begin the hype for the next big update. (They hyped the shovel for like three monts, so if we want the next update to happen before christmas, we better start now:

Will it have horses? Or gold? That would be great. Do you think they made a better planet? One that needs engineering to get up on mountains and over (if not rivers yet) steep cliffs and valleys? Will there be finaly those missing pieces for all the ledge battlements? Will flat worlds make a comeback? (Because the planet is not needed at all and I dont like it.) Will there finaly be a bed to skip night? Or will they let us play half the time in darknes for another year? Will there be seasons? And wheater? Without knowing any direction I feel like we will get propably disapointed anyways...

We know they want to focus more on engineering...
    So what were the major engineering things in the Medievals? I say churches, bridges and ships. The major power sources were wind, water horses and peasants? Do you think we will get at least one of those?

What do you wish for most?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I still don't own Medieval Engineers yet, but those crates look awesome.

Keep it up! :)

19. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

There are no buts.... you have it or not... Heretic! Almighty Clang will find you SOONTM. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

OK so Damn I hate the new forum theme but that aside the crates (if you ask me) should be more of an etched in wood display than a "actual" counter/full color image - they didn't have stickers in medieval times much less post-it notes :p. Speaking of Post-it-notes - Something I'd like to see with regards to planning is an "In-game" Bulletin Board - something alittle more detailed than the current sign system that could be placed and used like a "miniforum" for that particular board. In medieval times this was largely the method of "planning" because such things as computers and post-it notes didn't exist yet (you didn't think they built Rome without a blueprint did you :p) I realize it's a bit of a stretch for the current systems to incorporate however just having the ability to set reminds of a goal or cheat-sheet of designs would be beneficial - especially on DS where not all players may be online at the same time. While your at it why not include some paper materials made from tree bark - like they undoubtedly would've used back then - but that is largely an immersion factor. Give it a think Keen - and hopefully you'll see the point I'm tryin' to make.

21. Ricimer Trainee Engineer

At what time and day will the siege take place?

I want to know before I attempt to do this that I know I can make it for the siege itself.

22. Cetric Junior Engineer

I also don't understand the dilemma of those guys wondering month after month if they should spend little money for maximum and lasting fun. It's... such a... dif-fi-cult... decision! Really needs to be pondered over some months more, just for looking not too light-hearted! *uff*

23. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

there is nothing quite as awesome as the food crate

24. Cetric Junior Engineer

Careful, knave.
    <<The oldest known paper document in the West is the Mozarab Missal of Silos from the 11th century, probably using paper made in the Islamic part of the Iberian Peninsula. They used hemp and linen rags as a source of fiber. The first recorded paper mill in the Iberian Peninsula was in Xàtiva in 1056.[40][41] Papermaking reached Europe as early as 1085 in Toledo and was firmly established in Xàtiva, Spain by 1150.>>
    That is a bit late, and concerning paper from tree wood, even much too late:
    <<Later Western improvements to the papermaking process came in the 19th century with the invention of wood-based papers.>>
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_paper
    Therefor, I would recommend parchment as writing material, and the source for that could be the deer (if I have to cling to existing animals in game, others as the oxen could serve for that as well).
    Or one of the existing plants being found and harvested in the landscape, most probably flax (think of papyrus).

25. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

paper? from a tree? something to write on in the medieval period? Parchment then. :p
    Parchments came from animal skins.
    as least that would seem lore friendly.
    this isn't necessarily rust
    even paper came from sugarcane in minecraft

..................huh...what if paper or Parchments could be a survival method of creating things from blueprints...im not sure how its done in ME but im pretty sure batteries and projectors didn't exist back then...would of had....i guess simple drawings of what they were going for? maybe?

would something like this style of engineer drawing be stretching it a bit far?
    Iconic i know but this is what i imagine the engineers of this game would draw like
    [​IMG]

26. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I have a problem with the item counter on the chests....

I borrowed a cat from Shroedinger, put it in the chest...and the counter keeps swapping from a 1 to a zero. Is this a bug?

I don;t know what I am going to find when I open the chest.....

27. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Clang found me long ago in Space Engineers. :p

SE is also the reason I hold off Medieval Engineers. Things randomly destroying themselves (especially in survival), crashing/freezing and desyncing is only fun for so long. After the fun wears off its just another buggy, broken game. Until they get those under control I won't be buying ME.

ME looks awesome, and I've no doubt Keen will eventually fix all the main issues in both games, but past experiences with other games/developers on Steam (including Keen with Miner Wars) have taught me to be cautious. One game with Almighty Clang as the main antagonist is plenty for me right now.:p

28. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Too be honest the stakes in ME aren't as high compared to SE
    you're mostly walking or running theres no flying machines to let you accelerate to 100 m/s in 3 seconds or so.
    best you'll get is pushing a cart up a hill and then jumping into it...weeeeeeeeeee! :D

if anything ME is alot safer and easier on the physics
    when i did give it a shot...my laptop wasn't happy trying to run it. :p

so its easier on the physics and clang isn't as strong there......but it feels graphically harder to run.

• Informative Informative x 1
  29. Cetric Junior Engineer

He must have found out by himself as it is obvious from remarks by the community here over a long time. Or, more precisely - by a lack of rant storms as have been rushing through SE occasionally (they became less frequent I think).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  30. Silen Apprentice Engineer

Same here, sadly. ^^

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.