Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New! Update 0.6.4 Patch 3 - Minor Update

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

Hello, Engineers!

Like last week, we have two things for you: a developer diary, and more bugfixes! In today's developer diary we are joined by Sergey Leonidov, one of the designers on the Medieval Engineers team. We go into an in-depth discussion about the ideas that went into, and the processes behind, the creation of the new combat system.

Additionally, we have a few small changes for you today. The most important one is the fix for the crash to desktop that you have been reporting when placing blocks on the toolbar, or scrolling through the variants. For those technical among you, it was caused by a race condition between the loading thread and the rendering thread.

Enjoy the update!

Changelog:
    - Fixed a crash when spawning lootbags.
    - Soil now plays the correct sound when hit with a pickaxe.
    - Localization texts updated for various smelting recipes.
    - Updated luxury house quest, planks added to first step.
    - Civilian/Metal Tools quest step 4 updated to be more free in what tools it accepted.
    - Fixed a race condition crash causing the game to crash without any information in the logs.

Modding changes:
    - Whitelisted StartActionResponse by moving it out of MyHandItemBehaviorBase.

Thanks,
    Keen Software House Team

Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.460D19:
    - Fixed a big FPS drop when an erroneous model is loaded.
    - Fixed a crash caused by erroneous models.

Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.F0A509:
    - Added spectator camera target tracking, middle-mouse-button click while aiming at players to see their stats while they battle. Tournament streams, go!
    - Improved the loading of mod code, allowing mods to reference to other mods' code from their code.
    - Improved the ordering of mods, preventing the same mod from being loaded more than once.
    - Repositioned the visual inventory of the oven so the tea and fruit juice fit better.
    - Fixed chat clearing out when alt+tabbing or changing resolutions.
    - Updated the sloped wooden support's construction model.
    - Smoothed out other player rotations in multiplayer.
    - Ore stockpiles no longer have ores sticking out.
    - Improved the collision shape of wooden doors.
    - Fixed a typo in the large stockpile for stones.

Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.D56C5D:
    - Made block placement a little more tolerant to address windmill placement issues.
    - Spectator doesn't lose its tracked players until switching out of spectator.
    - Added master scroll that unlocks everything, only accessible to admins.
    - Addressed incorrect components on several blocks.

Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.53D3D3:
    - Added Steam DLLs to dedicated server package so it can run without having Steam installed.

Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.B87772:
    - Implemented an automatic server restart when the server detects what we believe is the cause for the "simspeed bug".
    - Updated a mod compilation issue solving an ordering problem discovered by one of the modders, Equinox.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

yaaaaaay
    back to deadline

3. Simonides Trainee Engineer

Did you guys changed something with optimization? The game is unplayable after this patch, less than 10fps on low settings while standing in empty area of the planet while I had 20fps while sprinting in the woods on high settings.

Edit:
    Performance issues vary in different regions, it may be ok in one and totally unplayable in another.
    Also deleting some mods helped a bit.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. SIliconpot Trainee Engineer

Unplayable here too after the update :stare:. Getting a constant 15-20 fps instead of solid 60+, with major dips to 1-2 fps every few minutes.

Edit: Local simspeed dies during the dips, not server.
    Hw: i7-5820K @ 4.4 GHz, 32GB, GTX 1080

Edit2: After about an hour, the fps is ranging from 5 to 10, so it would seem to get worse over time.

5. Tenhur Trainee Engineer

I was moving trough the world and then i started getting low FPS. My Pc crashed with just 1-2FPS and now can't even get on the server without crashing. As soon as the world is done loading and I get the welcome txt, ME stops working. Tried setting the display settings to the lowest posable but makes no difference.

--Update--

Just got some Awesome 1-1 tech support from DF. He looked over my log files ans say's its the sand stone mod that is bugged.

6. SIliconpot Trainee Engineer

For me, this happens without mods just as bad as with them.

Edit: Only error I see in logs is the following, being spammed at every update:

Invalid model: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\MedievalEngineers\Content\Models\Environment\Rocks\SandStoneSmall_4_LOD1.mwm, VB0: not null, VB1: null, VB1: not null

Do not have a sandstone mod.

Edit2: Also, is the VRageRender-DirectX11.log supposed to rewrite 60 times per second? If so, can I disable this somehow? Does not seem healthy for tlc ssd's, considering the log is ~250 MB after an hour.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  7. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I'm experiencing the same fps problem. [DS] [survival] No mods. FPS is 1, Ping varies from 5ms to 550ms, Local sim speed is avg. around 0.4. Server sim at a constant 1.00. Frame time varies from 1500ms to 2500ms.

Music is stuttering.
    --- Automerge ---
    When I get out of the server instance, Windows is reporting it has only 15MB RAM allocated but usually it's around 1.3GB RAM. It was reporting 1.3GB before I got into it for the first time since this patch update. The DS log file looks normal. The client log file is small.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  8. Deepflame ME Director Staff

I identified the cause for the slowdown. In order to find the crash-to-desktop-without-a-log we added an error logging entry into the renderer that would write a line if it detected a faulty model.
    Turns out it has detected some faulty models. :)

I have identified another vanilla model that suffered from it, as well as several modded models.

We'll make some changes to how this functions, so it doesn't write to the log a million times. Expect a hotfix later today.
    --- Automerge ---
    Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.460D19:
    - Fixed a big FPS drop when an erroneous model is loaded.
    - Fixed a crash caused by erroneous models.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Grandpa Canuck Trainee Engineer

Thanks Deepflame. We too were suffering from this 1 FPS situation on our server. After testing all the mods we were using we found one of these faulty models in the Bees mod. We have removed that mod and all seems to be running better.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

Tuesdaaaaaay \0/

11. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Oh boy, time to frantically press F5 again

12. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

Welp...

13. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Thank you for the hotfix, Keen! :tu:

14. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

I see a hotfix?

15. Deepflame ME Director Staff

Just a tiny one to address a building issue introduced when we fixed various exploits. Sorry, forgot to write it to the forum. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cetric Junior Engineer

Lately I followed the Keen: Banner Modding Guide for doing a... guess what... yes, a banner. Produces a mod showing up alright, but it is 'red' for not working in present version so probably instructions need an update for use in version 0.6.4.
    Also gives a warning of not being compatible when selected on the list for the loading world.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

If I understand you right, you might be interested in this. I had a similyr problem. It seems to be a bug.

18. Cetric Junior Engineer

Different to you, I wasn't trying to publish it on the workshop. Just for private use (offline, local mod). But maybe it still will solve the issue. I copied your header or what that is and replaced the one from the Banner Modding Guide. So let's see how this works out.
    Can't trust my eyes: I even went bold and tried to modernize the missing Stonecutter mod file found locally according to the new 'definitions' stuff but it produces a 'critical error'. What else would you expect from a modding fool? :D Anyways, I do things I never dared enter before. Now that must be progress.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Deepflame ME Director Staff

Now available, Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.F0A509:
    - Added spectator camera target tracking, middle-mouse-button click while aiming at players to see their stats while they battle. Tournament streams, go!
    - Improved the loading of mod code, allowing mods to reference to other mods' code from their code.
    - Improved the ordering of mods, preventing the same mod from being loaded more than once.
    - Repositioned the visual inventory of the oven so the tea and fruit juice fit better.
    - Fixed chat clearing out when alt+tabbing or changing resolutions.
    - Updated the sloped wooden support's construction model.
    - Smoothed out other player rotations in multiplayer.
    - Ore stockpiles no longer have ores sticking out.
    - Improved the collision shape of wooden doors.
    - Fixed a typo in the large stockpile for stones.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Deepflame ME Director Staff

Now available, Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.D56C5D:
    - Made block placement a little more tolerant to address windmill placement issues.
    - Spectator doesn't lose its tracked players until switching out of spectator.
    - Added master scroll that unlocks everything, only accessible to admins.
    - Addressed incorrect components on several blocks.

• Like Like x 3
  21. SIliconpot Trainee Engineer

DS fails to start after the update with the following error:

2018-10-23 04:57:25.463: Error starting Steam dedicated server
    2018-10-23 04:57:25.735: catch exception : System.InvalidOperationException: Steamworks GameServer is not initialized.
    at Steamworks.InteropHelp.TestIfAvailableGameServer()
    at Steamworks.SteamGameServer.EnableHeartbeats(Boolean bActive)
    at Sandbox.Engine.Multiplayer.MyDedicatedServerBase.Dispose()

22. Rakkeyal Trainee Engineer

23. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

From the support site:

24. Deepflame ME Director Staff

Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.53D3D3:
    - Added Steam DLLs to dedicated server package so it can run without having Steam installed.

25. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Oh boy, it's F5 day again!

26. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

27. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

28. Deepflame ME Director Staff

Not to fear, tiny update is here!

Medieval Engineers 0.6.4.B87772:
    - Implemented an automatic server restart when the server detects what we believe is the cause for the "simspeed bug".
    - Updated a mod compilation issue solving an ordering problem discovered by one of the modders, Equinox.

• Like Like x 3
  29. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I don't know the history on this, but this sounds scary; making my knees shake here, auto restart loop....

30. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

If you get to the point where it's a loop then your world is completely dead. This restart doesn't happen until AFTER Havok shuts itself down.

• Like Like x 1