Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.101 - Landing gear fix, Performance improvements, Small ship turrets

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ramsey Trainee Engineer

And KSH you guys have got to get your S%%% together. This patch is a disaster. . . You can't release stuff like this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. McG Apprentice Engineer

I quoted you above to thank you. I know what you said was accurate and should have worked. I was playing my map with both of those off, and suddenly there's these lag spikes. Remember I am playing alone. Low and behold it's drones coming to raid me hahaha

Your suggestion was great, seemed to be working, but game, apparently, has a mind of its own and decided to ignore the settings ( double checked them too). I sure hope someone from Keen reads this thread and the bug report thread just for this patch. Sad to say but it appears they have another month of bugfixing to do before they can move on to planets and new content. Hate to say it but if they don't do that the planets and any other new content will just be more code for them to go through looking for what's wrong. Might as well get things solid while they can.

3. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Do have to wonder if there actually was time to test this patch properly before release, as the issues I had with it manifested themselves instantly...not after a bit of playing.

Damage levels may be a matter of opinion, but flaky energy usage and FPS issues seem to be quite widespread. I fully understand that different machines/hardware setups etc. can have an impact on some bugs ( like the guys with video card issues ) but I find it harder to understand some of the other issues

• Like Like x 1
  4. atomontage Trainee Engineer

Now pistons just explode when flying. They exploded at 54m/s on my large ship, tearing parts of the hull apart.

(Didn't read all 12 pages so..)

5. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

"Science never solves a problem without creating ten more" It's the way of progress...it happens. On a lighter note; Keen, whatever y'all did with the hotfix saved my modded worlds! Jet packs and dampners work again! Only persistent problems so far are the occasional collision ghost, the helmet drawing WAY too much power, and respawning with 0 energy. 2 down, 3 to go!

Edit: 4 to go? Above 100,000kg, thrusters are sluggish, sometime to the point of not moving, and it takes a wiggle of the mouse to get them to respond.

6. Echillion Senior Engineer

I've had large small ship thrusters and small ship drills explode at less than 2 mps! friends of mine have had problems even getting the game to work? and they can place interior lights but cant handweld them? (had to use a welding ship) the roid textures are reversed and some roids have been turned inside out! (what was on the inside is now on the outside!)

7. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

I don't think the .028 hotfix did anything for the jetpack power use. It still sucks the juice down like a fat kid on a slurpy.

Add to the problem that all the oxy bottles, both on the player and elsewhere, are empty, even when they were full before patch, and things start to snowball.

8. Ceztu Apprentice Engineer

Put it back in your pants. No one's interested.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

That why i made my own planet called risa.

10. Styles Trainee Engineer

It's still in Early Access, which precedes Release, so they haven't released anything at all yet ;)

Wait, so you wonder whether or not us Early Access players have been playing every weekly update for over a year now? Making sure that the bugs get fixed before the release that is still at least several months in the future? Wonder no further - proper testing before release is exactly what Early Access is for ;) It definitely isn't an Xbox money grab where those who are willing to spend more get early access to a finished game... but Xbox is about greed, not game development, lol

11. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

The word "release" does not mean "a final release of a fully completed game". Early access is also a release, and when people say "alpha", it's a shorter version of "alpha release".

12. toddnollan Trainee Engineer

After testing today, I must say with much enthusiasm: I thank you, Keen SWH, for your changes to the merge block. I can now undock and dock my 172 Gigagram mining vessel from and to my 674 Gigagram Carrier with no explosions, or, indeed, any collision damage at all.
    Additionally, I would like to respectfully disagree with the many people complaining that the merge block pulls too hard. While seeing my vessels (even with such mass) being pulled about like toys did at first worry me, the visible resistance to collision damage that the two grids have with each other nullifies any problems I expected to arise from the force.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  13. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Apparently my Interior Lights now flare with the power of 47 suns with their intensity set to minimum. I set them to maximum to see if they got any brighter but turned them off again due to the fear of melting my walls.

[​IMG]

I am starting to suspect this patch might be a little bit borked.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

"- fixed tooltip overlapping with gravity HUD"
    This is not really fixed. :(
    I know that compared to the landing gear problem, this is a minor issue, but I actually got more excited when I saw this, than the landing gears as I don't really use them.

15. Replic TuaniOne Apprentice Engineer

Oh ok, so it was not just me that noticed that x3

I was like, wtf x3

16. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Try reducing radius to half or less.

17. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Already tried, not much better. Works as a bandaid if they don't fix it next week, though.
    [​IMG]

18. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Atleast it does not burn eyes so much that way.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Nope...I get early access completely. I also understand the point behind users playtesting games and the whole idea behind it.

The point you chose to miss was simply that we CANNOT playtest their creation when they leave bugs in it that are so immediately obvious and such a game breaker that we stop playing and have to wait until the next weeks patch. That spoils the fun for us, spoils the process for them, and defeats the whole object. With modern PCs being so diverse in terms of hardware and software, it is impossible to test every variable, and people will find issues that would take weeks of work for a small doftware house to find. But a few minutes of gaming shows massively obvious issues....and these they should have spotted and either sorted, or held back. I can't playtest unless it's playable.
    Oh...and I don't even own an X-Box :)

20. Arcturus Senior Engineer

This may only be because the break impulse for collisions is now (as of 1.101) proportional to mass for ships over 1 million kg, not including stations which are presumably always low because they don't calculate mass.

21. nathanxbox2 Trainee Engineer

I attacked a Mining Hauler and a drone came at me. It was flat and fish-shaped with timer and programmable blocks, maybe 5 blocks wide, 1 block thick. It had a cute-looking interior turret on a column on the front of it, that it kept facing at me. I don't think it could do maneuvers more than looking at you and going towards you. It was a small drone, so I don't know about bigger ones.

22. Athalon020 Trainee Engineer

This "we are the testers" is becoming a baseless cop-out to somehow justify a patch that has made the game unplayable. If there were some small issues like "The name of my beacon is now displaying backwards" or "Distances are now reading in millimeters", those would be issues to say this is an Early Release problem.

I personally never had a single landing gear explode in the whole time I've played this game. I'm assuming that is fixed. But I did have entire Small ships consumed by drills/grinders/welders exploding from a few patches ago. That went away, and now it's back, and I shudder to think what would happen if the exploding landing gear returned. When the fundamental mechanics of the game (mining, for instance) is impossible because the tool to operate that mechanic has suddenly become an explosive device, the game is broken. There's a post a few prior to this one about pistons exploding. We have widespread FPS reduction, energy issues, and thrusters periodically refusing to function. These are not things that should have ever left the developers' hands. I know how the development process works, and I know all too well that some bugs are hardware related, but these issues are happening with almost every single person who's posted here. If the majority of users have a bug, there's a very, very good chance that at least one developer had the bug. We're past version 1.0, the typical moment when software moves from alpha/beta to release. Stupid crap like this should have been long gone by now.

23. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Basically, drones can only be properly armed with turrets right now because there's no way for the AI to detect targets beyond 50m sensors right now. So, fixed weapons aren't viable.

24. Silvak Apprentice Engineer

Um.....no. Version numbering is completely arbitrary when it come to alpha, beta, OR release. It's sole purpose is for in-house continuity for the developers. It can start at any number, increase by any number, end at any number, not be a number, or reset to any number, increment or other designation.

You need to re-evaluate your expectations as they aren't based on reality.

• Like Like x 1
  25. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

We're not even past "1.0" anyways; we're at version 1.101 now. The first "1" indicates which game it is (Medieval Engineers is 2.xxx). So, really, we're just "version 101", which is really just "this game has been updated 101 times".

• Like Like x 2
  26. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

Is anyone elses gyroscopes overly sensitive?

27. Athalon020 Trainee Engineer

Or, maybe you need to learn how software versioning and development milestones work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning#Version_1.0_as_a_milestone

Some more googling for other sources as to what "v1.0" actually means is easy to find. It's a major release milestone, signifying the first release of a piece of software. If my expectations of this game aren't based on reality, then I don't know what that says for the developers.

28. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Again, we're not even past "version 1.0". We're on version 101, which is just the 101st update. Are you saying that all games are finished after 100 development updates?

• Like Like x 1
  29. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

30. Gillgamesh Apprentice Engineer

I sincerely hope KSH doesn't follow past practice and not release hot patches past Friday.
    I am usually a go with the flow type but I really don't want to live with all of these bugs till next Thurs.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.