Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.105 - Hydrogen thrusters, MP improvements, New battery behavior, Slide doors

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Valpen Trainee Engineer

My game has gone banana. The light keeps changing - some areas of my relativily small "large ship" looks like shit. Cant see anything....

2. entspeak Senior Engineer

According to the video you do get hydrogen from ice as a byproduct of O2 generation. Did you not see that?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jones-250 Apprentice Engineer

Reminds me of the XKCD what-if about a relativistic baseball.
    https://what-if.xkcd.com/1/
    Imagine the results if it was a massive train, instead of something as small as an baseball, that was turning into plasma as it ploughs trough the atmosphere at a velocity close to C ...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

Yeah, I honestly think all the people celebrating that inertial dampeners are nerfed really just want a frustration simulator.
    Don't get me wrong, I can understand why they 'think' they needed changed. But honestly, there's no reason for it. Not to mention, this is going to cause more problems than it will fix.
    I expected that to leave or land on a planet, you would need something a bit beefier than the normal thrusters. But this seems more like tipping the balance between 'challenging' and fun too far it the side where it just becomes frustrating. Hopefully a modder who's not one of those 'super hardcore true gamers' will put out a mod to fix this.

5. byLeandroid Trainee Engineer

You can go to game properties on steam and enable beta, I think that should get you back to the old game.

6. mrdavidbrown Trainee Engineer

Hype train arrived

7. Repo Mann Apprentice Engineer

E'VE GOT BIG-A THRUSTAHS!!!!
    [​IMG]
    I 'OPE DAT DEY X'PLODE AND CAN BE PAINTED RED!

• Like Like x 2
  8. fabricator77 Apprentice Engineer

So the only way to keep the power cells from a battery you salvaged or misplaced the block, is to use a merge block to move the completed battery around....
    Pretty annoying change to the game, batteries were one of the few blocks worth pirating.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Amberlight Trainee Engineer

I would agree with many people here: changes in battery performance are awesome. Changes in the fact that you loose all the power cells are NOT great at all.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Scya Apprentice Engineer

Beutifull update, Keen! :) Thanks!

11. Aoi Trainee Engineer

Great content update Keen! (I still pray to our savior, Lord Marek, for planets tomorrow.) That planet looked "well-done"(complete) in development terms, I just hope ya'll are releasing soon (as in tomorrow) as lately a lot of hype seepage has been coming out.

I think some peoples spirit is beginning to break from being teased so long. (I suppose the waiting distracts from the waiting for November 10th (we all know what comes out them))

I'll watch the live stream tomorrow because I want to believe. I kust hope ya'll don't get swatted right before any big announcments or large updates if you know what I mean.

12. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Honestly, I think it'd be pretty interesting to half to grind them out of a ship, attach a merge block, and then use a small ship tug to pull them into place. Gives some physicality to the "loot". More time consuming, sure, but it'd turn salvaging them into a much riskier and more interesting process than just hoovering them up.

It isn't really "super hardcore", though?

Balance your thrusters, don't go everywhere at top speed. You'll be fine.

13. Lightwave Trainee Engineer

Any chance of getting new Passages that match the new doors?

14. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

I knew that making my thrusters accessible to the inside of my ship would pay off some day! Time to retro fit my ships!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cmdr_Forge Apprentice Engineer

- Batteries providing power even while charging, I like this.
    - Hydrogen in the game? Awesome, assuming it provides better power output and is reasonably accessible. Maybe my vehicles being fitted with hydrogen reactors from the workshop was a good move after all, provided we can use natural planet resources also to get it.
    - Jetpack hydrogen bottles...not sure how i feel about this one unless they have a long usage time, because with all the other things you have to constantly worry about like oxygen levels that would mean even more items to lug around before you even start carrying your mined ores. Aside from that what I want to know is when projectors will finally be able to get smarter. Is it really a legitimate game engine limitation that rotor and piston head grids, that are directly connected to a block on the main root blueprint grid, can't be recognized by a projector? Or are the ideas of using rotors and pistons in survival blueprints for additional creativity in designs just disliked? How hard is it really to allow projectors to realize "hey I have blocks on that rotor or piston" when it is right there just on the edge of that block??

16. Pakislav Trainee Engineer

No fix for constant autopilot brokenness? (Ships stuck in autopilot, not accepting input from players or AI)

• Like Like x 1
  17. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

this patch seems to be going somewhere. congrats on finally updating the doors to make them useful, I can't say how much I appreciate that :)
    the only thing I don't like is the cells->scrapmetal change, because that makes it impossible to cut out the block and move it like you can with every single other block(iirc).

18. Mash Trainee Engineer

I just made a battery pack blueprint with a merge block

19. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Yeah, that was a terrible change. I'd rather have the old batteries than this.

20. JCMais Trainee Engineer

It has been fixed*, just not mentioned! :pbjt:

* at least here

• Like Like x 1
  21. Repo Mann Apprentice Engineer

BTW we FINALLY have got nice trapdoors!
    (Also SS13 imitation would be easier. Now we need planets and different suits for different situations. AAAND grappling hook. I don't like the idea of space jetpacks useful on planets)

22. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

The power cell thing seems kind of an annoyance unless they seriously drop the material costs for powercells or give us a chunk of the ingots back too. (I mean do they really need to start of at 30% charge?)

23. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

Really? People need to learn to be more patient. Yeah, planets didn't come out this week, but, hey, as long as they're still working on them, there's no real reason to be like that. I swear, BFS was right...high school never ends...

24. Silvak Apprentice Engineer

So I just built a hydrogen thruster test ship in creative mode just like they showed in the video, 5:40. Made sure the hydrogen tank was filled and spawned 100 uranium for the small reactor. I then switched to survival. Power usage stayed at 0.1% regardless of thrusting. Hydrogen thrusters use almost no power. More importantly, the thrusters don't use any oxygen, only pure hydrogen fuel.

Can someone please explain how these engines are supposed to work in space?

There are only two options in my mind. Either they will be nerfed when planets arrive, or these thrusters don't burn hydrogen. There isn't anything for the hydrogen to react with so it's not chemical. Are they a different version of ion drive? Fusion?

• Like Like x 1
  25. sandmaNN Trainee Engineer

Does anyone have any experience how long it will take third party server hosts to apply the update? I rented a server from gamed.de and the server updates for more than an hour now and is not accessible.

26. Faziri Apprentice Engineer

This.

I mean, come on. Freaking ouch. Power cells cost a **** lot to produce, and now we just completely lose them when grinding down a battery? That isn't even logical at all. Great update otherwise, but the battery detail is a punch in the nuts.

• Like Like x 5
  27. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I've been hoping they'd do this for a long time. Thrusters being able to output 5x what they're meant to never made sense at all.

It's not going to make ships any uglier. If anything, people will just incorporate the new requirements into their designs as they have with past changes.

Sure, older ships will take longer to slow down, but you can counter that by turning on the dampers or laying off the throttle sooner. ;)

And on top of that, they've just given us fueled thrusters which are much stronger than the "old" ion thrusters.

Now if Armored thruster mod could update to included fueled ones.... :pbjt:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  28. aRottenKomquat Apprentice Engineer

Maybe it's a self-powered fusion thruster. If so, a cool addition would be to have them generate additional grid power while thrusting, and you could recharge batteries using your thrusters!

• Like Like x 2
  29. cedi Apprentice Engineer

I like.

30. Flippybear Trainee Engineer

They said it is not finished. At least watch the video before posting.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.