Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.105 - Hydrogen thrusters, MP improvements, New battery behavior, Slide doors

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cmdr_Forge Apprentice Engineer

I didn't think about the trapdoor aspect of that, lol would be interesting to see applied. I totally agree on the need for new suits, and that idea of a grappling hook would be awesome to see. However, in the case of jetpacks what we need is a new design that is suited for planets and gravity. I'm thinking one with only up and lateral movement thrust, maybe a timed amount with a readout on the side showing you the "charge state" when using so you can see when it is ready for another full jump, essentially a jumpjet pack. Some examples of what I mean are the limited thrust times used in the jetpacks from the games battlefront I and II, and planetside 2.

2. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I'm imagining a power production plant on a station or planetary facility that consists of a hydrogen thruster burning non-stop down a ventilation shaft...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Terik92 Trainee Engineer

I'm not sure to understand how have been changed the inertia dampers. Could someone explain me the difference between before and now???

I need to understand it for my update video (it's in Spanish)

4. CBFasi Trainee Engineer

Lighting has improved.. when I close hanger doors the room gets very dark, yet when open the ambient light is sufficient
    This makes lighting much better with the default skybox !
    Thank you !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Manticore Apprentice Engineer

Thanks KSH!

6. Silvak Apprentice Engineer

Just because something is unfinished, doesn't mean you can't know how it's supposed to work. Maybe you should read my whole post before commenting.

7. Kateye Trainee Engineer

Wow, the asteroid geometry went weird. Now I've got unminable asteroid walls invading my space station. Looks like I'm not playing Space Engineers until there's either a hot patch or at least another week.

• Like Like x 1
  8. REAPER_86 Trainee Engineer

Hydrazine burns in space. But that requires an iridium catalyst to complete the reaction. Maybe theres a catalyst involved somewhere in these hydrogen engines.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Boltron1 Trainee Engineer

what i been wanting for a while is detailed info on thrusters. some of the builds i have in mind can't come to life because programming blocks cant tell what the thrusters are doing at the moment.

i would like to see all or some of these in detailed info : current force output , power usage, thruster power output or force output in %.
    and for the new thrusters current fuel consumption rate.

thanks.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !!!

10. ayax Trainee Engineer

Nice update. But dedicated servers that are modded wont boot up now. Please fix. Its been reported under the bug section as well

• Like Like x 1
  11. aRottenKomquat Apprentice Engineer

Another silly possibility is that the thrusters don't burn anything, and merely vent hydrogen to produce thrust like an inflated balloon that wasn't tied shut!

12. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Inertial dampers are now 10x less powerful than they were before, making them have equal thrust to normal input.

That is to say, if it takes you 10 seconds to reach top speed with a given number of thrusters, you will need an equal amount of thrusters to slow down and stop from top speed in 10 seconds.

13. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

The issues I have with the change to inertial dampeners is that the front of the ship is, honestly, already 'prime real estate'. Think about it. You have the cockpit, spot lights, drills, welders, and grinders (which take up a LOT of room), cameras for remote piloting, weapons for defense. And now we are going to have to add more thrusters for breaking. I already loose way too many mining ships because I have to place my drills far enough apart so that the breaking thrusters don't burn them off, which ends up causing floating bits of asteroids to tear right through my ship. In order to 'balance' the thrusters front to back, we'll now have to make space for even more thrusters, meaning more 'dead space' to prevent the thrusters from simply burning off tools. And before someone goes on about it being 'more realistic' this way, if these really are ion thrusters, why are they burning things in the first place? I thought one of the advantages to ion thrusters was they they generated no (or very little) heat?

My second issue with this is that, honestly, this is still a GAME. Meaning that things don't have to be realistic or extremely challenging to be fun. In fact, if things become too challenging, they stop being fun. I thought the biggest part of this game's fun was coming up with neat ideas on how to build your space ships, and figuring out new ways to make them work. Has that stopped being fun for most of the players cause that was too 'easy'?
    Seriously, at least give us an option to turn these changes off if we'd rather play without them. Like I said before, I expected that the old thrusters wouldn't be enough to land on or take off from a planet. But this seems more like making the game more difficult for the sake of making it difficult.

And while I'm at it, now that the suit's thrusters require hydrogen, I fully expect the astronaut to burn off his nipples whenever he uses them. Cause otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

14. Terik92 Trainee Engineer

Understood. Thank you (and that change sucks, :woot:DDDD)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

Big patch... hmmm, I wonder what the stream will show.

16. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

Maybe it works just by heating the hydrogen and letting it expand to create thrust?

• Like Like x 1
  17. macgeifer Apprentice Engineer

batteries are hard to recycle but maybe this will be balanced later. i like the overall idea.

18. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I've never heard that before. Even if they're cooler than chemical thrusters or such, they'd still be hot, because they're highly energized.

19. Caesar15 2 Trainee Engineer

You can put forward facing thrusters all over the ship, not just the back. Just improvise.

20. Mongoose Trainee Engineer

Earth-like Planet biome. from the .sbc files
    Iceland
    Pole
    Woodlands
    Desert

Ore Tiers
    1=Fe, Ni, Si
    2=Co,Ag,Mg
    3=U, Au

• Like Like x 2
  21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

How about changing the power cell loss to 30% rather than 100%? That would be a good trade off for partially fueled batteries.

22. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

You don't need to add more thrusters. You just need to slow down sooner. The "screeching halt" effect is gone.
    There is no standard for "fun", "challenging", or "frustrating". What you think sucks others think is great, and vice-versa. This change was Keen's call and there was a great deal of discussion on this subject in the General Discussion Section. The consensus was that inertial dampeners encouraged bad piloting, and pilots like to be in control of their vessel. I'm going to fire up the game and find out how much I was using dampeners as a crutch. My only concern is how it will affect docking.

• Like Like x 1
  23. entspeak Senior Engineer

It's possible that the thrusters use a monopropellant system like the one described here: https://www.sbir.gov/sbirsearch/detail/80352.

Either way, the reactors may only be needed to provide energy for the igniter.

24. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Looks like it! They also look like they're absolutely massive -- as in, hemisphere-massive.

25. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

KSH + KSP = Awesome!!! anyone made a Kerbal space suit mod yet?

26. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

All of this is so true, and personally I think this change is great. It'll be a lot more immersive in my opinion, that more life-like feel of space movement. Plus, if anyone hates it, I'm sure there'll be a mod that changes it back in the very near future.

27. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

Enough people wanted that change, so it's at least worth trying out I guess.

28. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

still no planets. okay. still waiting to play then.

29. Mal Trainee Engineer

Really good update though I am a bit annoyed that I now need to carry hydrogen bottles in my inventory. How about some refill stations?

• Like Like x 2
  30. Dregz Trainee Engineer

Ice is assumed to be water, water is hydrogen and oxygen, it would be silly to have to choose, it has both elements in it, we are simply separating them. hydrogen however, should be collected twice as quickly however, as there is twice as many atoms per molecule... Having said that, oxygen is larger and if you want to be scientifically accurate, it wouldn't be exactly double due to size, but yeah,

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.