Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.108 - Planets

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. macgeifer Apprentice Engineer

Keen i love you. tested planets today. its awesome.

i have a GTX 970 OC and 8 GB RAM and its running smooth on high settings with 30-40 fps while hosting for a friend. CPU, GPU and RAM are working at their limits. i will need a better computer when this game comes to beta :woot:

thank you for giving us planets! :pbjt::pbjt::pbjt:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Terik92 Trainee Engineer

If anyone knows the name of the music track of the video, please, tell it to me. I want to know it!! :'(

3. PlumHeadLJ Trainee Engineer

I have this configuration at home now: AMD Phenom II x4 970 (3,4Ghz), 8Gb DDR2-800 RAM, Geforce GTX 650 Ti 1Gb GDDR5 (2-4 times faster than yours) and i have 15-25 FPS with medium settings (25 FPS on 5000 meters above planet surface).
    I think i have to buy new home computer very soon and after weekends i try to test performance from work computer Xeon E3 1231 v3 (4x3,4Ghz), 16Gb DDR3-1333, Geforce GTX 650 2Gb GDDR5 (1,5-2 times slower than 650 Ti) and comapre to my home machine with same "medium" settings and post my results.

And... It is little sad that we in Russia have become 2-3 times more than poor people because of the financial crisis in the country and now even buy a new graphics card will be much harder than before :(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  4. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

Found my new home along this Cliffside that overlooks a small lake with an amazing sunrise over the mountains.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. ratch Trainee Engineer

Your Video card is not the real issue with your FPS. you're bottlenecking at your CPU and RAM. the PhenomII x4 970 is a good processor. but the computations needed with planets are more than just asteroids. not to mention slower RAM speeds.

I'm Running an AMD FX-6300 (x6 @ 3.5GHz), 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM, Sapphire Dual-X Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 Video Card. My Game is set to Medium Quality, Flora is 3.0, View Distance is 15k, Fullscreen Windowed @1360x768 resolution. I haven't checked yet but i know i run atleast 30FPS. Its smooth with only occaissional hitching. Yes my Resolution is low but thats a limitation of my Current "monitor" my 20" Monitor is having issues it starts flickering after a couple hours of being turned on. so i moved my 32" 780p TV to my desk and use it for my monitor. Unfortunately its native resolution is 1360x768. I will probably have a FPS hit when i replace my Monitor and go back to 1600x900+.

@TenTonBlue: I have a similar location set up in the icy areas(where i "landed") Are you playing Solar System? the issue with that is no asteroids, Pirates, Drones, Cargo Ships. its just the three planets. but we don't have anything else unless you want an Easy start, i hate easy starts. i like a challenge. I think the should add an additional Solar System start with Asteroids, and baddies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

Ya were probably going to have to restart actually because we do want some hostiles. Were just gonna make an easy start game on the earth like planet. Im going to use Space Master to delete all friendly grids. Then we will suicide and start off from just the planetary landers. I agree though, there should be a default start with asteroids, pirates, and planets, but you start with nothing but the essentials.

I have to agree though, I don't like easy starts either, what's the point of playing a creative game if you don't create your own objects. Plus I like that from the beginning I build for function not aesthetics so I end up with some weird looking stuff. Last night I was flying what I can only describe as a Solar Sandwich. Later in the game I'll start building things that I find attractive. This has to be earned in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  7. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

I guess I should ask then,..

Can anyone confirm that on an easy start earthlike map, are there asteroids and encounters in space? or is it just the pirates on the planet?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ribs Apprentice Engineer

9. Kira Apprentice Engineer

Fallout 4? Really? A game that was held back graphically so it could run in potatoes? Well of course your machine and almost anyone's can run it. I don't mind space engineers pushing the envelope. You think they can accomplish something so big like this while still keeping the game running on laptops from 2003? Sometimes you just have to save your money and upgrade. Sucks. But that's life. Gaming can't be held back for people who can't afford it.

10. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

Why argue, just write his name in your book already.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Beeskee Trainee Engineer

Any word on whether this is a bug? :D

Start now. :D Trust me. 1,000+ hours in and I'm still building function-over-form gray bricks.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  12. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

so if I've started on solar system, it's said that there won't be enemies or astroids. does that mean that it's impossible for those items to spawn on their own? i.e. if you leave the space around the planets neither will show up?

13. szalkerous Trainee Engineer

I don't have any client FPS problems with this update, my 980Ti provides a solid 50-60 fps @ 3440x1440, full settings.

But the dedicated server, even being on a LAN and quite powerful, drops that sim speed to brutal lows on planets with multiple players. I assume this is still a symptom of the highly inefficient netcode, is that the next update in the pipe?

14. MontyTheGreat Trainee Engineer

As far as I have played, there are asteroids spawning in habitable planet scenario (found 2 from my little voyage to the moon, aboard the rescue ship). I think I saw an asteroid while testing the solar system, visible from earth's surface (was a non-spherical rock, so I guessed it was an asteroid). Try setting to infinite view (or at least a few hundred kilometers). Also, setting asteroid density to high may help you (increased probability to get some nearer).

On other news, there are ore deposit at less than 20 meters deep (tested on moon). Exploration yields its rewards.

Damn, those hills, had to cut my way with the hand drill. Tons and tons of solid rock, nowere to go :p

Of all, habitable scenario is the best. No pirate nor friendly station / structures, only earth and moon (so the less computer resources it takes). Try landing on the moon first, with the rescue ship. It's easy to land there. (the atmospheric lander spawns way out of the planet! :eek:ops:).

15. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

Ok i just did a bunch of testing tonight, i found that in the "Star System" start, it will generate asteroids. I made a new world with high density and started finding asteroids about 50,000m out from the edge of the starting planets gravity field. I can confirm that this start has asteroids and assailants/raiding outposts etc.

I did this testing with my DS, but I dont see any reason a SP world wouldnt spawn them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Styles Trainee Engineer

I don't have the same graphics card, but I am running an i5 3.2GHz processor and 8gb of ram... and I get a minimum of 15 fps so far (might have dipped to 11 fps on a planet, but that was before a hotfix or two).
    EDIT: Whoops, my CPU is clocked at 2.6 GHz... and yet I still get better performance... Can you post the exact CPU model for a more accurate comparison? You can find it in the System control panel (click the Start button, right click "My Computer" and select "Properties") - for reference, my CPU is a Core i5-4300M

Your bottleneck could be a couple of things - your motherboard's bus clock speed and/or the ram clock speed are two examples that can have a huge impact, for example.

Another thought - does your cpu have integrated graphics as well? If so, it's possible that the game is not using the correct card... seems less likely on windows (it can be a headache with the intel/NVIDIA combo on linux), but worth looking into...

I might be mistaken, but I think the random locations of asteroids and pirate bases are determined when the world is initially generated - if they weren't there when you started, they won't show up later.

17. Cmdr_Forge Apprentice Engineer

Has anyone else had the weird bug where when you are flying up trying to leave the atmosphere and get froze during mid flight at certain altitudes and can't continue climbing? I was seeing this last night in my pelican dropship (which previously made a successful exit and re-entry) and basically got frozen in the air. No altitude loss and no further climbing, just floating in place with a forced turning and denial of any control input to stabilize or move.

18. Jord001 Trainee Engineer

Fantastic. Just watched the Trailer. Think I may have to upgrade my system a little though.

19. GDI-BOSS Trainee Engineer

In the future ,any planets can spawn randomly in infinity worlds??maybe be nice,not only this 3 planets..but i like it!!

20. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

I say to anyone complaining about the jetpack when building ships. for small ships use a rotor to turn it so you can reach. most of my ships that I have BP of I can build with a mounted rotor with a small ship end, projector and merge block.

• Like Like x 1
  21. szalkerous Trainee Engineer

I just realized people are legit mad about no DX9 support. Here's some facts.

- DirectX 11 was released in 2009 and is supported on Vista or later.
    - A basic DirectX 11 card today can be found for as little as $39.99 (I just checked NewEgg)
    - When DX11 was released, the Playstation 3 had just gotten it';s first slim model, and the PS4 wouldn't be released for another 4 years.

I'm willing to bet Fallout 4 won't run on an original Nintendo, either. Eventually you need to update your hardware to play the games you want. It's fact of life, stop trying to blame a developer for your wallet and hardware.

22. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I have a Core i7 920, 12GB RAM, and an AMD 6790. I get consistent 10-15 fps no matter what graphics settings. Looking away from a planet boosts fps back up to ~30.

Except SE in DX11 is ugly. Colors are all washed out, lighting is too harsh. DX9 is much better. I play SE in DX9, even though I can (mostly) play in DX11 because it just looks much better (even if the shadows don't).

EDIT: Sorry, this wasn't meant as an insult to the devs. It's just my opinion that DX9 looks better. I much prefer the darker shadows in DX11, but the other issues I mentioned above make for an unsatisfactory experience for me.

23. ratch Trainee Engineer

Thats actually interesting... I may do it that way. Are you using Mods? I'm starting to have issues after the hotfix on Thursday evening. CTDs and freezing. Throws out a CTD due to Memory. I have a GPU and CPU/Memory monitor, and while i played my RAM would go to 80% while i was flying around in Creative, and the CPUs were doing fine only 4-5 of the 6 cores were running high. GPU was around 80% load as well. I played just fine for several hours launch night. but after i patched i get the CTDs and Freezing. I'm wondering if its something with Memory Leaks maybe? all i know is its difficult to play SE now. I'm both in love and hating planets now -___-

I have a similar System and i can get 40-60 FPS on Medium settings in DX11. . . it tanks to 20-30 on planets, but, I'm okay with that. my issue is the massive Memory hogging.

AMD FX-6300 Vishera(all 6300 are Vishera from what i see), 8GB DDR3 1333 Memory, Sapphire Dual-X Radeon HD 6970. you have more memory but we use the same card. I'm not familiar with Intel CPUs so i don't know how to compare them. It just dawned on me what the main difference is. My temp Monitor(backlight issues) is my 32" 1360x768 780p TV. its connected bia HDMI and my Monitor is DVI. Monitor is secondary since it flickers after a few hours so i can turn it off and still game. the size of my TV helps with the smaller resolution. I play everything in Fullscreen Windowed as long as it has those options.

24. Etsijä Trainee Engineer

I have a mediocre machine with Intel Core2 Q6600 @2,40GHz, 8GB of RAM and AMD Radeon HD6800. At first I tried to run SE with the same settings that have worked smoothly so far - windowed 1680x1050 on medium settings. Terrible, 7 minutes loading screen and a diashow on easy starts on earthlike planet.

Then I switched to the Low graphics settings. Wow what a difference! I personally think the game still looks good - the planet's athmospheric effects are seen, and while the ground looks like shit, I still get the immersive feeling. But now, my FPS is well above playable and the loading screen only lasts about a minute.

Now I don't know if this only due to the lowered graphics settings or whether Keen also did some serious debugging in those latest updates. Would love to see the logs for the latest updates. Anyway, way to go, Keen!

I will probably end up updating my gaming rig anyway, as it is old and outdated, but I wanted to share my experience with you who also struggle with the planets edition's smooth running, in hopes that this helps someone else.

TL;DR: 1. Set the graphics settings to Low. 2. See if the game runs now smoothly (as mine did). 3. Start twisting the knobs one by one until you are happy.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Leviano Trainee Engineer

26. TenTonBlue Trainee Engineer

I'm running a DS from a hosting company right now. I was having issues running it from my own machine and playing the game. Performance seems better but the server does seem to get a bit more lag after awhile and requires a restart. So far the hosting company has been pretty awesome. If you didn't see my follow up post, I did some testing, there are asteroids and pirates in "Star System". You have to fly out about 50,000m from the edge of the gravity field of the planet before you'll start to see them. There seems to be some sort of pocket created for planets to prevent procedural generation from colliding with the planets. This makes sense as I was wondering how they would keep asteroids from floating 10m off the surface off the planet or worse.

As for mods, yes I have over 70. Im using all the mods Direwolf put together and a few more that I wanted. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493980032

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  27. Bipin Trainee Engineer

I'm proud to say that I had just bought this game, largely because of planets being released. As some of you may know from seeing my work in the "Show us what you've created" thread, I had really only played this game at a friend's apartment. The planets were the final straw; just too awesome to pass up. You've met my wildest expectations with this game, and then some... Keen. Fabulous work.

• Like Like x 2
  28. TinfoilChef Trainee Engineer

I had the same sort of thing happen. In my world all gold ore deposits became Ice and all cobalt ore deposits, including a rather large one, became uranium ore.

This isn't the first time this has happened after an update. Really would be nice if it stopped happening.

29. Yttrius Trainee Engineer

So many kudos for that reference!

30. LadySerenaKitty Trainee Engineer

Requires DirectX11, really? After saying Keen will always support DirectX9? Nice to know you don't really mean what you say.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Late Late x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.