Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.111 - New weapon/tool tiers, Performance improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The bugs are frustrating. But they are going to continue to be battled. They will return. They will go away.

Nothing really matters much until multiplayer is revamped and released. That's the next big hurdle Keen (Marek) has decided to take on in the time line. The turn-around for that is unknown.

I understand the frustration and the ranting (I was doing it too). But it changes absolutely nothing. For better or worse it doesn't change anything and is just a waste of breath unless you want to get trolled by fanboys who are equally as passionate about defending the game as you are frustrated. Forum jousting does nothing but create a lot of extra posts.

I'm not taking sides, but just pointing out my observations. You're free to do whatever you like. I'm just pointing out what I know and what I've experienced first-hand.

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. Pucoslaw Trainee Engineer

@UP Tell me those fanboys they are KSH Virgin Palladins :woot: If you tell something bad on Keen that hunt you down and disagree you to ground anywhere you go :woot:

And they the best line of defense is " Leave Britney.... I mean KSH ALONE!!!! *cry**cry**cry*.
    But i think it will be good calming the frustration if Devs will spoke to 90% owners of game who don't play it and try explain why it so FUBAR (Flip UP Beyond any Repair)

3. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

You are posting the same thing for the n-th time and I still can't understand what you are trying to say... ???

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. wd56 Apprentice Engineer

Are we not getting a change log on the updates anymore? Last week there were updates on Friday, Saturday and there was no information.

Just saw the update for today, and no info.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Kobura Trainee Engineer

No minipatch notes is a trend...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. [AODF] Zepher Trainee Engineer

I just want to play without the game crashing every 20 minutes....
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. wd56 Apprentice Engineer

There are soooooo many bug reports on projectors that havnt been acknowledged.

Maybe you should take a gander at the bug report section before you provide suggestions.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Tallinu Trainee Engineer

Great! Now we'll not only lose materials whenever we get disconnected from our dedicated server, we'll also lose mark 4 welders and grinders that have to be rebuilt each time. At least the game would give you the basic tools for free whenever you reconnected to the game...

Power failures, internet outages and unreliable connections are things that happen. At least when you're logging out deliberately you have a chance to stash everything you're carrying. Requiring the use of a cryo-pod to "not die" in that case is one thing... Instantly deleting everything you had on you just because your connection was interrupted is still a ridiculous way to "handle" the situation. Even if it just left you floating unconscious in space until you reconnected, vulnerable to attack, perhaps even with your oxygen slowly depleting, that would be far better than the current "You're SOL bro, trololol" behavior.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Aiadel Trainee Engineer

I like the patch , tiers are something that every sandbox of this kind should have , but I can't help to think what Keen's model designers are working on. I mean , the new tools are just a palette swap , and there are no more news on the upgraded models. Netcode and code optimization are tasks for programmers , so it's not like they are working on those , and random planets generation consist in programming certain algorithms so it can't be that either. Maybe new fauna ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OneGamingLane Trainee Engineer

Ok playing with the new tiered tools, I have a couple observations. First, I finally have a reason to play with realistic welding and grinding settings :p Second, a person with a mk4 grinder could do more damage to a ship than any weapon. I mean you could completely cleave a large ship in half in no time. Guess now there is a really good reason to have interior turrets, as if there wasn't before.

Also another random thought (after having so many components flying around), a sensor set up to disable gravity generator(s) if it detects floating objects is a really good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

The thing is, they abandoned full planet procedural generation and they have artists working on the planets with height maps. So basically they generate first and then layer detail on top of that. It's a little disappointing actually (since we only have prefab planets), and not the most efficient use of their resources. There are countless examples of procedural generation out there with absolutely beautiful and realistic results just by using noise algorithms without needing to waste so much time handcrafting the height maps. Still hoping we'll get full procedural gen back at some point...

Also, like people have mentioned before, they lost some artists a while ago and it takes time work new people into the pipeline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Voyager_sput2015 Trainee Engineer

Here's a question, can't KSHor even a modder make procedurally generated heightmaps? Seems like the current system is a good stepping stone, maybe that part is the next step?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hermo Trainee Engineer

Different suits and jetpacks would add a whole new level of immersion, like you would store your different suits in the airlock room and you would have to equip the jump pack when going out of your base to explore the planet. And maybe you would need a special suit to explore alien planets.

14. Neeneko Trainee Engineer

I would not be surprised if they were working on it.

The secret sauce that goes into good procedural generation is actually pretty tricky to get right. While it is a pretty well established type of problem, adapting it to any given world and making it look on par with something human steered requires some focused work. It also requires a lot more testing, which keen already stretches too thin. Sometimes hand made assets are a better short/medium term solution.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Two Apprentice Engineer

Why I don't use them on the server right now. T2 stuff is sufficient and with all those crashes currently in DS, creating T4 stuff is just a waste of resources.

16. shmafoozius Trainee Engineer

I get the frustration about the lost items. I personally don't host a DS but I'm hosting a world for two other players. They're also always complaining about having to store their items in a cargo container and are really frustrated when they have an unwanted disconnect. :/

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. wd56 Apprentice Engineer

I have been playing this game for over a year now and they still havnt found a way for ship toolbars to save in multiplayer. I wouldnt hold out hope for this

18. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

Update
    - fixed crash with character tools
    - fixed crash planet's surface not updating correctly

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. CowCompressor Trainee Engineer

The patch of today was about the issue with small vehicles and mined holes in the planet surface.

Lol, Drui was just ahead with the complete info, thanks.

20. The MoSS 2 Apprentice Engineer

Performance would also take a serious hit. I don't think it's in the near future to generate planets on the fly. They'd need to be pre-generated, generating planet and rendering it in the same time is computer suicide. If the whole planet was generated as soon as you can see it (few milion meters away:-D), there would be a long lag (I don't remember, how many gigabytes was the planet update?). Pre-made or even pre-generated planets that are saved on hard drive is best option right now. Downloadable planets to appear in the game could work well.

21. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

Thanks guys for the hard work! =)

22. X_Wing_Ian Trainee Engineer

The planet update was 1.7 Gigabytes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Tollwutmolle Trainee Engineer

i have the problem that my mined ores has no texture, iam the only one?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Neeneko Trainee Engineer

*nod* given how they have handled other things, I would not be surprised if they started pulling planets from the workshop (once that modding scene gets some steam) and drop them into the world. Which might actually be a nifty long term solution.

25. g0vernor Apprentice Engineer

The way you described it with the car example, is how it truly is, in car building and game coding. Excellent example!

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I agree. especially in my case, games tend to randomly disconnect,even if I had good ping. losing rare ores and certain tools in the game instead of resuming in the body can be annoying

27. Nemesismax Trainee Engineer

If we are going with "add new features as much as we can so we can focus on fixing them later", then I'd love to see the new netcode being implemented. Since right now, I'm considering that to be the last major update. Then devs can focus on new features/fixes etc.

28. Riph Trainee Engineer

Anyone else noticing that when they build a smallship from a blueprint via projector in survival that the batteries start out discharged?

29. Autonomous Collective Trainee Engineer

Fixes
    - various performance improvements

I have an NVIDIA gtx 970 and I'm still getting 20 fps on the surface planets with nothing else running.. (16gb of RAM and I7 4930K processor too) and thats on minimum settings... im sorry keen but there needs to be more performance upgrades than that before you can call it an improvement.

30. Rabbitsocks Trainee Engineer

2 full days [yes 16 hours each day] spent working with friends to colonize the planet...end result, landing gear exploded with all power off, and being parked for an hour to gather ice... then every ship built by hand, same thing, somehow exploded left massive crators physics went out the window for an amazing fireworks show...
    edit: single player is exibiting none of the strange errors i see i multiplayer, even when the save file from multiplayer is moved to single player.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.