Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.112 - Ore in rocks

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

It's a crash fest client and server-side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

No, it doesn't require that. Don't you bother to read the patch notes?
    You need to put an air vent set to depressurize. And you could use a passenger seat with a remote control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bumber Senior Engineer

What happens if you build over the felled tree before it respawns? Bad stuff?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

Yes, it's a good way to get a big fucking hole in your ship after a server restart.

I'd also like to take a moment, to say just how much this update hurt our server. I wasn't really upset before...but now I am. It's essentially empty now except for those who have large projects they still want to complete.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  5. Titus Trainee Engineer

yeah my server has crashed repeatedly tonight..

6. lyle sonders Apprentice Engineer

game will only run for about 10 minutes before crashing. I playing creative mode single player so it not just the servers that are crashing. Posted a bug report earlier, now have noticed several others for the same reasons

7. strangecalibur Trainee Engineer

Weirdly for me all autoP features are working again.....

8. ziant Trainee Engineer

I've been asking myself what have I done wrong. no matter what I did, I still haven't experienced the game-breaking/killing crash or whatever mentioned by others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Bumps in the road, I can crash creative on a whim right now. Its wait for hotfix friday time. Send those logs. Building in creative is working, but beyond that brace for impact.

10. SchlauFuchs Trainee Engineer

Still reading on this thread, but I apply my hand tool once and the game crashes.

Update: As I found this bug can be avoided by re-assembling your tier-x tools once.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  11. work harder man Trainee Engineer

completely unplayable now,crash after crash,even can't spawn. you really let this happen for a week? I 'd rather roll back to the last version.at lest I can play 1 hour before crash

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. [FMP]Kaname Trainee Engineer

Grinding/welding with ANY of the upgraded tools now chrashes the client, no matter if it's on a new grid or an old one. The standart gear seems to work. Not gamebreaking yet annoying.
    Guess i have to rest my better tools for awhile. Anyway, keep up the good work Keen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  13. meric Trainee Engineer

Can't say I have more crashes than usual on the server I play but Server Sim Speed of 0.2-0.6 is preventing all playing :(

14. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

Disassemble all advanced tools and make new ones. I looks like the tools prior to this patch are causing crashes, but any tool you assemble from now one will not.

• Informative Informative x 4
  15. Wisest Man Alive Trainee Engineer

People are unhppy with the fact that with all the new "updates" it is going into pre-alpha. Alpha or shmalpha, keeping in the playable state is necessary, else its no an alpha game but a folder with bunch of files.

Happy Birthday!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Two Apprentice Engineer

Just look at the numbers in the server join window. Before the patch most servers were pretty crowded, now most are empty. Even the "big" ones only have a fraction of players online right now.

The reason is pretty simple: aside from the billions of issues with multiplayer this weeks patch not only added a hand full of new crashes, it also tied the framerate to the server simulation speed. That means you are basically down to 5 fps on all but empty servers, just because Keen failed once again.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  17. TaeKwonDodo Trainee Engineer

Great Planets-Update! Really cool and nice there are many players with cool build ideas and stuff. But after the update my performance sucks like hell. Before the update was 60-100 fps. After the update my fps crashed down to 40 fps (when I'm looking into space and when I'm lucky) or to 15 fps (when I'm looking into the direction of planets). So I think a performance update would be better.

18. yrogerg77 Trainee Engineer

Perhaps they meant players falling through the planet, not vehicles? I guess it could be a separate bug.

Edit: Nope... just fell through the planet myself last night. (For the first time!) Definitely not fixed.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. ouch Trainee Engineer

Just started a new game to see how things are going in SE. Landed, found some uranium, mined a bunch of that, found iron, mined a bunch of iron, found gold, fell through the planet while running on the surface to start mining it...

Sigh, some day planet survival will be viable... some day...

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. yrogerg77 Trainee Engineer

Hey so first off, thanks for focusing more on fixing the numerous issues this week Keen. Second, as for this new feature... do these "ores in rocks" spawn on pre-existing planet maps? Or is this something that will only appear in newly generated maps from now on?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. Wisest Man Alive Trainee Engineer

I AM VERY DISSAPOINT

SERVER SLOW?
    SINGLE USER SLOW.
    CIRCULAR SAW NOT WORK - SERVER CRASH

MAKE GOOD PLEASE
    :mad:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  22. -Azamorn- Trainee Engineer

This is awesome! Thanks for the update keen! :)
    I've been playing for just over 3 weeks and although I've found some downright irritating bugs the game is *$&%ˆ$ amazing and I just have to say well done on the great game you guys are making :)
    I'm really amped about the ore in rocks update because it was incredibly tedious to find ore in the start of the solar system survival and I'm sure it will go a lot better now :) Keen on starting a new world again tonight ˆˆ,!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. BluntamisMaximus Trainee Engineer

ya i agree crappy move things were working great before with seprate sim speed.

24. extraammo Senior Engineer

When developing a game, you test the latest version and add to that. You don't just roll back whenever something is buggy. It will get fixed.

Why are you quoting "updates"? Don'y you know that an update is just the public build being synchronized with the internal one? They are simply giving you access to what they have every week.

It's a game that is in alpha stage... that means it's buggy and missing lots of pieces. Why do you demand playability? You obviously don't understand game development as well as you think you do.

So you think that Keen has failed on a weekly basis because there are bugs in their alpha game? Have you ever written a rough draft? I bet it would have some errors and just because it can be read early doesn't mean it is any less of a rough draft. You aren't graded on rough drafts so why are you grading Keen on alpha builds? Bug Report and move on.

Play another game already. You don't seem to appreciate where this one is going or the people working their asses off to make it. I honestly think the only reason you stay is because you feel entitled to make demands. I challenge you to find where on the store page or Keen's website that states, "You get to micromanage our company and development process because you payed a few dollars."

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Neeneko Trainee Engineer

It is probably a variation of (1), but replace 'lazy' with 'overworked'. A few extra words on a patch notes might not seem like much, but when added to all the other 'just a few things', it can really pile up and things fall through the cracks.

The project I am on produces a deliverable about once per month. Some months our patch notes are about as helpful, not because people are lazy or even misinformed, but because one just wants to type up something quickly and get back to other fires. When one has a dedicated PR or community manager person this starts to look a lot better, but that requires more staff, and they are a small house, thus are probably having someone handle such notes as a secondary duty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Neeneko Trainee Engineer

To be fair, even a dedicated, paid testing department tends to demand a certain level of playability. Depending on the development house, releasing broken code to the testing dept can get you in hot water, or at minimal the ire of the testing lead since it means losing a cycle.

While I agree this is not a 'whenever' thing, it is not unusual to back out changesets or even roll back entire versions when a bug is significant enough. I can recall both sending out and receiving 'Your changes broke the build or have made XYZ untestable, therefore have been backed out. Please review before submitting that code again' messages to devs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Neeneko Trainee Engineer

*nod* if nothing else, feature freeze, while it sounds good on paper, can be a bad move from both the public and private relations perspective. New, small features are good for keeping up developer moral and reduce fatigue, they are good, discrete, visible progress markers that you hand out like candy (or, depending on how bad things are, glucose tablets) to keep people engaged. Having little things like that in each patch can be a really important part of the full cycle, even with the accusations they are not focusing enough on bugs.

And, like candy or any such treat, there is danger of over indulging, but I do not get the feeling that is what is happening here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  28. extraammo Senior Engineer

That also depends on the product. I use to work for a company on the crime lab software that the FBI uses. Since it's a deployed production product, there are extensive testing cycles and there is a "staging" environment that is used for testing. The customer tests the staging environment and then gives the go-ahead for it to be moved to their production environment. But that is finished software, not alpha. Nobody would buy early access products to use for handling classified case information.

If you are relying on an alpha to bring you entertainment then you need to rethink some things. Early access doesn't mean playing a finished product before other people. It only ONLY means early access.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Neeneko Trainee Engineer

*nod* I think this also speaks to the value of having clear roles and expectations. If a consumer is engaging with early access then they need to have a reasonable set of expectations regarding the state of the software they will be playing with and the purpose of their access. On the other hand, if a company utilizes early access (and wide alpha in general), they also need to have a reasonable set of expectations regarding the purpose of the alpha and standards regarding what gets released to a disorganized and untrained testing community.

In this case, I tend to be in the camp that finds some degree of fault on both sides. On the one hand I feel many players have unreasonable expectations regarding an unfinished and rapidly updating project. On the other hand, I feel keen is kinda stretching and abusing the alpha process and is reaching a point where they should be dedicating more resources to internal testing and community management. On the third hand, I tend to find protracted alphas rather problematic, and adding paid open access to the mix (a rather new innovation that is still being sorted out) really muddies the roles and expectations, resulting in some rather mixed priorities that feed into these less desirable outcomes.

30. Hald Trainee Engineer

because you don't need to make a hard work serching for reources.saw a rock, mine it, and become happy. sereously, it is way to easy now to get resources. I think add an option to make rocks on and off in the world will be perfect for all of us.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.