Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.112 - Ore in rocks

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. meric Trainee Engineer

Well, you're not completely wrong on this one but it's hardly early anymore. Early access release was on 23rd October 2013, that's over 2 years from now! I myself was not expecting to be perfectly entertained by an alpha version of the game BUT I was expecting to have something more playable after over 2 years. How long does it take to make a video game nowadays? 2-4 years for AAA titles, 1-2 years for indie developers, SE is still in alpha after 26 months and you complain about players complaining that the game is still very much bugged?!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. shmidtk Trainee Engineer

- fixed falling though planet

Great!

• Late Late x 1
  3. Capsuna Apprentice Engineer

It's a trap!

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. extraammo Senior Engineer

I would agree about it being more playable after 2 years IF they never added any new features. They aren't focused on playability right now, they are focused on getting all the features into the game and then stomping on all the bugs and polishing. You don't get to decide the company's deadline so I don't see why you feel justified in complaining about them not reaching your timing expectations.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Here's an idea for you guys .... what if some of the bugs we see, like falling through the planet, is caused by 2 issues, and the devs only knew of the one, and fixed that one. Say for example there's a problem with collision, and a problem with rendering that collision in time? This might explain why people fall through when mining, and vehicles fall through just driving around. Perhaps when an ore is spawned from mining, it moves the character before the new collision model exists. And perhaps when driving around, the collision of the surface might get wonky. So its 2 causes for the same issue. So yes, maybe they DID fix (for example) falling through the planet, one of those issues. But its still happening, so now they have to find the other cause of it. And this is why having a stable playable version to roll back to is NOT a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Red Corsair Trainee Engineer

#GoNewNetcodeKeen

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. extraammo Senior Engineer

Obviously the devs are choosing not to fix the bugs, are ignoring the bugs, or are just too incompetent to fix them. We should complain about it more because that will definitely help fix bugs. Keen doesn't do anything unless we yell at them of course. If you disagree you are a fanbo(i|y).

Threw in a little regex for ya guys.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Two Apprentice Engineer

Yes I think they failed. Not because they made bugs, but they released them, and they continue to do that blatantly every week again and again. By every definition regarding the release of "updates" that I know of this is considered a fail, and in this case on a massive scale.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Neeneko Trainee Engineer

And for this, you should suffer. I have managed to avoid regex for WEEKS now, I could almost pretend that it had fallen back into the unholy pit from which it crawled so many decades ago. But no, you had to invoke its name... and now.. it has awoken.....

Though as a side note, one often is graded on rough drafts in writing classes. It spreads the grade out and takes into account progression in an academic setting since process is really what is being taught, not just outcome.

In this context, I do think there is value in critiquing their process since it is such a huge factor in what is (and will be) produced. But this is why I tend to focus my comments on their development as opposed to 'waaaa, there are bugs OMGWTFBBQ!'

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. blooddragon606 Apprentice Engineer

Is there a way to shut off gravity temporarily? Much of my equipment launched into the air for reasons I cannot explain when I loaded a single player 111 game in 112. Space master can stop it, but gravity immediately pulls all. It seemed to be triggered by the spontaneous combustion of a large hydrogen thruster on a construction site. the ship was not finished or flyable, so nothing to do but watch it faux-launch and fall. I did get a blueprint of it with the main thruster blown out of it. I suppose I could build it in space then paste it back in its original spot.

STOP CREATING ENERGY!!!!!! I have plenty.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. legenkiller16 Trainee Engineer

Great job with this update, my game crashes 20 seconds after the world loads. Also stop "adding" stuff and start optimizing the game by 30-40% and reduce the load times by 50%

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

2100+ hours of gameplay and you haven't heard of remote control and a passenger seat, sometimes I wonder myself what people do in this game...

Not intended to be rude but its rather strange, for me at least enough to post about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. extraammo Senior Engineer

Keen, according to @legenkiller16 :

[​IMG]
    "YES MASTER!"

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. RayvenQ Moderator

KSP Took 4 years, that was an indie game, Prison Architect had a development time of 5 years (Introversion is a bit of both, but still more indie I'd say). Games generally take a lot longer than you imagine and just because X kind of game by X game maker came out in 2 years, it means....well, nothing, as far as other games are concerned. Yes, usually you can assign rough estimates on a games development, but with a game with their own inhouse engine, probably a bit longer as they push their engine to see what they can do. If you complain that a game is buggy, while it is still in the Alpha stage, you show a fundemental lack of understanding of what the terms mean.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. RayvenQ Moderator

Or stick a vent onto your ship, set it to depressurise and there you go, you have oxygen in the cockpit now, no need for a generator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Pro3Display Apprentice Engineer

offtopic: red name on a red background is hardly readable

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ouchtime Apprentice Engineer

- Fixed falling through planets

Not really. I made a new game, to rule out the fix being in planet creation, and made a mobile base on a frozen lake. I use 5x5 large grid suspension and I got 500 m before one wheel went though the ice up to the center of the wheel and exploded.

18. blooddragon606 Apprentice Engineer

Just had a CTD while placing a conveyor piece...not important...what IS important: the game updated when I relaunched. What's in the hotfix?

19. Titus Trainee Engineer

the hotfix just went live.. wonder what it fixed?

20. max1998t1 Trainee Engineer

even my potato can run SE (with horrible simspeed in busy worlds tho) with a dual core 2ghz and a gtx 520(overclocked to the limit :D)

21. Nikecow Trainee Engineer

It seems to be a 40 mb patch. I know some people here have a way of seeing what files changed after an update.

22. Wuxian Trainee Engineer

That sounds like a wheel/suspension issue rather than a player falling through world problem to me. If that issue isn't mentioned on the bugfix forum, create a thread.

23. UDKBrasil Trainee Engineer

It seems that in this game the other things are more important than the corrections ....

DESISTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. GrinderFurax Trainee Engineer

3 players on same dedicated server, same issue with different GPU. Mine is GTX960, one of my friend GTX970, the last one a Radeon 6950. I played at good fps in high settings, now this is slowmotion on low settings...

The server is on 2012 R2 bi Xeon and 16GB RAM, the most burning CPU is at 33%...

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. DiggaTron Trainee Engineer

I do agree that their release frequency, small work force and the very recent/looming major updates do indeed leave no time for anything remotely close to comprehensive release/patch notes... and that anyone that asks for detailed patch notes is just being unreasonable. But all I'm appealing for (in the wrong place lol .. I'm sure there's a better thread for this) is the bare minimum when it comes to significant changes. And (I think you can agree) that is not a big ask and is even necessary, especially when you take a few things into consideration.

Using your monthly deliverable as comparison, the hands it would wind up in know to expect minimal notes, if not less.. AND know/are expected to draw their own conclusions...or something to that effect. SE patch notes are for consumption by their public playerbase. The playerbase as a whole can not know or be expected to draw their own conclusions...the sim speed sync, unannounced only confuses the base. Depending on your perspective it can appear as a bad thing or a good thing, and to go without mention(remember, 3 words) only flues confusion. And yes you will always get boobs shouting at one another on forums, but that is no reason not to do the bare minimum.

Then there is the role that the playerbase plays as a resource to the devs, bug reporting. Bug reporting is two way communication, the most important part of which is notes on the current state of the project or its changes. And like with all conversations, if you put poor communication in you get the same out of it. It seems common here that when the whirlwind of confusion and disappointment whips around patch day (which is nothing but wasted energy, that could have been redirected) a common argument touted is the role the playerbase must play at bug reporting, but how can many of the base have the confidence, desire or ability to bug report effectively when they cant wrap their heads round whats going on. And yes you will always get piss poor bug reports "not working, see you next week o/", but again that is no reason not to make minimum effort to turn some around and into good reporters.

And remember this is an argument for the bare minimum of notes for significant changes, which I believe should be in Keens collective opinion..mandatory. Not mentioning the sim speed sync is no different to not mentioning the ore in the rocks.

PS: I was not around at at the start but it appears to me that Keen had a bad experience with this process early on and as a result wound up almost completely opting out of it, degrading to the point where they just pay lip service.. its a terrible shame. I'll come right out and say it, stop purposefully leaving stuff out of the patch notes, its stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

My pc, see specs in signature, used to crash all the time. I changed the fan, upgraded the cooling unit to a liquid one. Nothing helped. Then I reduced the overclock. Never crashed again. Maybe it's your overclock.

• Informative Informative x 3
  27. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

I just installed my Radeon R9 380 and I LOVE it. here is a vid of me LumberJacking on MAX display settings. I haven't played on any servers with it yet. Suggestions for me to join anyone? My world is lonely.

EDIT: all card setting were left stock. I haven't adjusted anything yet.

28. Titus Trainee Engineer

So the patch seems to have fixed the couple problems I was having yesterday \o/

29. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Apparently all clients are now synched to the server-side sim speed. Is the server's UPS way down? Nobody's sure why they did that and didn't mention it, but it might be related to the new netcode using a proper client-server model.

It may be that they are starting the integration of Raknet and the Steam netcode doesn't like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. GrinderFurax Trainee Engineer

How does the UPS mater? My two UPS are up.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.