Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.115 - Cyberhound, Fireflies

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by George.Mamakos, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

Yeah because stupid suggestion isn't obvious enough, someone might take it seriously...

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Zephalon Trainee Engineer

THANKS!

I had to install a mod just to play the game. WHY IN THE WORLD did you implement such a feature without an off switch? I'm playing 'peaceful' and suddenly the world is swarming with freakin' EXPLODING DOGS... -.-

I like the game, i like how it's developing. But at the moment i would really like to be able to load the game without having the window focus on it or having it to restart as soon as i mine deeper than 50 meters. I don't need robot dogs for a rewarding gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. jondios Trainee Engineer

Anybody more have problems with all planets disapearing with this fix?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Nemesismax Trainee Engineer

In every game, there will be some unreasonable suggestions. But that doesn't give you the right to insult people. If you don't like it, just rate the damn post with "disapprove" and get over it. Or at least write with more manner and respect...

• Agree Agree x 10
  5. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Look, sorry to offend the special snowflakes, but it's just a fact. If you ask people what they want for a game, they are going to vomit what is familiar to them onto the screen.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'm not going to be more respectful to bad ideas, sorry. If you have a problem with that, I can give you someone's number, and you can call them up and see if they care... because I sure don't.

• Disagree Disagree x 10
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Nemesismax Trainee Engineer

Sigh...
    No reason to debate after that reply. I was expecting something intellectual. Sorry that I've even tried...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. kingkrieg Apprentice Engineer

newest patch was just applied moments ago and allows you to disable cyber dogs and other terrors if you so desire so

well i guess thats actually pretty good, i hope the next patch starts adressing the many MP issues the game is plagued with, albeit i know itl take time, but some insight or news about it will be warmly welcome by ALL of the community, i am sure, not excluding any bugfixes, such as the battery fix that people want, and having random deaths - or making large ship's small atm thrusters... lets say.. lift a ship without having to make a porcupine out of it? or increasing a bit the power ratio needed of reactors towards these thrusters, its illogical to see a battery has more "power" than a NUCLEAR powered reactor just to make a jet engine work. and while i understand its part of a balance factor, its still waaay under it.

just my 2 cents

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I mean, awesome attempt to shame here (That is the "intellectual" way of dealing with it, I'm told)...

You are still ignoring the plain truth here, that people aren't going to produce great ideas. Again, people will suggest what they are comfortable with. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I have zero experience that shows that players are objectively better at this, than developers.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bings Trainee Engineer

I like the idea of having NPC's in the game but I would rather wait a year or two for some decent quality ones than have this kind of rubbish added into the game. I certainly don't want "placeholders" in the game that will maybe someday be worked on and improved, had enough of that crap with DayZ and their dreadful zombies.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. NewGAMEMASTER Apprentice Engineer

Cyberhounds can now be enabled/disabled in advanced game options !!! :woot:

• Late Late x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

No but seems you're pretty fond of straw-men to beat up. Maybe we can put a couple of those in game for you.

12. Gentry Senior Engineer

Hes kinda right at the idea that the average community member will be a terrible game designer.

I'm a chef, I don't ask fat people for cooking tips.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. joebopie Apprentice Engineer

that was intellectual, but you just can't see it. ....sigh....

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Well...thank the good lord and Keen for the 'off button' on the exploding doggies. Doggies I could live with, as you could jump in your buggy/flier/whatever...or just hit the jetpack and try and pick them off before you ran out of H2 .... but exploding was killing me.

Made it virtually impossible early game in survival, as you use up all your ammo in the first encounter. If you build any kind of structure to keep safe...they blow holes in it. I got killed whilst mining by a diog that blew on the surface, I got exploding dogs in the mines, I got exploding dogs blowing up my base, my vehicles....everything...faster than I could build it.

I assume turrets will keep them off, but you have to mine a lot of minerals to build a turret and ammo ( magnesium, nickel, iron ) and get it all sorted before the dogs blow the legs off your lander....

Yup...I'll be turning them off without delay.... but I think I read someone has modded them to turn off the bang....so I might just do that and let them stay. As long as they despawn at some point. Otherwise, you could get a 'build up'

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I'll be keeping the dogs on -- earthlike planets really needed something like them when using the star system scenario, as it lacks the pirate bases -- but I too will be downloading the no-exploding mod. I'll also be getting a wolf texture as soon as one becomes available.

It's not that I'm against exploding NPCs; I actually think that Minecraft proved they're perfect for a building game. Just ... cyberdogs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Ced23Ric Apprentice Engineer

There was little intellectual vaue in your passive-agressive conceited post laced with poor spelling and punctuation, my friend.

While the language chosen by Ash is subpar for social environs, he is right: The average pubbie is not very smart, creative or capable. He will always go with the flavour of the month ("ADD STAR WARS..!!1222134512!") and amaze a calm and clear mind with the sheer audacity of his knee-jerk responses. Always remember this when dealing with any faceless mass of people: Democracy is the rulership of the mediocre. You need a few isolated, often damaged, individual at the top to make decisions, and where 9 out of 10 fail, the 10th gets it right and a few weeks down the road, that becomes the new standard. Halflife introducing WASD controls comes to mind. We have seen more than enough mediocre ideas, and I am with Ash there - the snowflakes and publords would make horrible game designers.

The problem is, signal-to-noise ratio. For every good idea, there is 10 shitty ones. If not worse. Who is gonna sift through all that to identify the good ideas? Now, it would be easy to say, "just make people vote on ideas before they go live", but the problem with that is, any public vote is a popularity contest first, an appeal to lowest common denominator second and someone trailblazing very far after that. No. Asking the community is not the way to go. But listening to the community on things Keen wants to implement, is. Because even the most binary, drooling pubbie can see that "implement exploding suicide dogs" is less important than "give players the option to toggle pistons/rotors inert status".

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

You know, I just realized that with the ACTUAL April Fools update (the Space Balls) people found them far more amusing, useful, and worth the development time than the fricking bomb dogs.
    This is the (hopefully) one time that Keen really should remove a 'feature' because it fell so far off the mark and has actually angered more of their player base than it pleased.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. joebopie Apprentice Engineer

you must think you so much better than me cos you can spell better? LMAO and wow thats a load of rubbish i will never read, lol.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. HumbleOverlord Trainee Engineer

Ok... you're not much of Chef if you don't care what people like to eat.

I just want simple fixes, like being able to spawn a respawn ship or atmo lander instead of a space suit.

20. VIRALSHARK Trainee Engineer

Thanks for allowing us to disable the dogs. I didnt lose hope in Keen over this, and it is in fact a holiday, so people should take it easy over this update. One bad update is easily forgivable, and it wasnt even bad, aside from not having the option to disable them right away lol.

Keep at it Keen, your die hard fans havent gone anywhere yet.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

It's nice to know that SE is stilll enjoyable - ME has become a rather moot point to me, for reasons I'd rather not repeat. Ty Keen for at least keeping 1 of my favorite games alive and well. (Particularly thankful we now can disable those spooky spiders)

22. Kronic Offender Trainee Engineer

Thank you thank you thank you!! Now to repair the damage, but that's why I'm an engineer :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

With regards to the "Falling Through The Planet on DS" they largely fixed that about the time my favorite DS Stopped updating it's software (go figure) so now I can't play on their server due to outdated DS Code. BUT falling through planets as far as I can tell, is largely reduced on Peer-to-Peer and Single Player.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

You cannot be rid of the spooders. They will watch you... Plot... Scheme... Make their way into your settings once you least expect it.. And then...... Next time you are on.. They will be waiting for you. All over your bases. Your ships. Your trucks. Then they shall have revenge....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Sumyjkl Trainee Engineer

Finally. It's hard to explain how relieved I am to finally see someone say this. Too bad no-one listens when you tell them "hey you know you only have these opinions because..."
    Also, I admire your straightforwardness.

Wasn't a straw man. He didn't even put forward an argument against anyone's ideas. Just the topic in general. ∴ not a straw man.

I think even with the option to disable, they're absurd. Not only from a game design standpoint but from a publicity standpoint. The intended player-base will become different if this keeps up, and then you can expect even worse immersion sabotages.
    Also, if they're going to stay, (goddammit anything but this, please) they badly need to be redone. AI that isn't brain dead, spawning cycles that are not boring and predictable, behavior that's actually sort of believable.
    I would actually be totally okay with them if:
    • they came from some believable source OR they were wolves
    • they were either incredibly rare or "seasonal" so that you would only get 20 or so a week at most; e.g. for 7 days: (0,0,0,2,12,6,0)
    • they didn't always attack you right of the bat (seriously, what?)
    • you could see them on the planet at mid-far distance sometimes
    • they walked away when they couldn't reach you, (and to stop exploitation, they wouldn't come back) since exploding is the lazy programmer's way out, and it's too obvious.
    • they had sounds
    Unfortunately I can only see one of these happening. The worst part is it's not the first. Or the second. Yeah you guessed it. Sounds. Great.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Like I said, it would have been nice if they weren't dogs, but the concept is sound.

The AI being poor and a bit OP isn't that bad; remember when the pirate AI first came out? Remember how they had basically unlimited range and would track you forever?

I'm sure they'll improve on things. Give them time.

Hopefully, they'll expand on the whole "if pathfinding can't get an AI past a wall it'll cut/blast through it" and work it into more realistic enemies and/or drone AI, but I'm willing to wait for that.

27. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

even then,they've got to have something better than "a pack of dogs comes every minute and are actually living mini warheads". maybe if they use their laser eyes to cut through it in a certain amount of time it would "feel" more natural(and productive)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Gentry Senior Engineer

Its a restaurant not a fast food joint

SE is fackin gourmet

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. fabricator77 Apprentice Engineer

Cyberhounds ?
    MeowCaptain is gonna be pissed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I think people need to realize Keen's working process and the order thereof (and god, i hope i'm right).
    They're busy with building the containers of all functionalities of the game.
    Nothing has being refined as of yet, except the visuals of the gyroscope, warhead and projector and a handful more.

Only in the very last bit of things, they'll focus on refining all elements of the game and everything will bootstrap into the game they and us have been waiting for.
    Fancy stuff like liquid water on planets, cooler looking warp speed, overall visuals such as UI... will be on the very end of the list.

But like i said, this is what i hope. And with this logic, as long they're not yet refining things, more functionality (and bugfixes) will be headed to us.
    I bet that cyberdog thing is just goofing around with concepts, rather than an actual final product.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.