Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.116 - Medical room modding support

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Jenky Trainee Engineer

"Works a lot better than it should."

That's just hilarious: SE netcode works about as well as DarkMP for Kerbal Space Program, and that was literally a mod made by some random guy.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Th232 Trainee Engineer

Earth is a gravity prison... For real, Planets are fine, i prefer moons. And until they fix Cargo Ships with Planets, I play planet free and enjoy the asteroids and cargo ships.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm a little frustrated. I feel like they're not even trying any more. There's just no minimum threshold to where a release seems to be tested before it goes out.

I just feel like we're getting more and more bugs and they're not rooted deep in the code, but stuff you find with just a few minutes of casual play.

I've been really disappointed with almost ever release since planets, not over added features, but in terms of quality of the code.

It doesn't make me angry, just disappointed.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Th232 Trainee Engineer

You can enable cargo ships in any game save you like, just goto the config file for the save and change it.

Goto your Saves folder in "...AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves\XXXXXXXX\worldname Where XXXXXXXX is a string of numbers.
    Goto into the WorldSave folder and open "Sandbox.sbc" in a text editor (I use Notepad++ "https://notepad-plus-plus.org/" Free and the best)

Find and edit the line for cargoships from false to true

<CargoShipsEnabled>false</CargoShipsEnabled> To <CargoShipsEnabled>true</CargoShipsEnabled>

Save and close then open and play while cargo ships crash all around you.

After a few days or even hours you will need to do some cleanup, the game cannot handle that much stuff all over the place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. [DL] A.F.T Trainee Engineer

Air vent bug, dissapear ice, freezes, power bug after use connector, gears\connector bug, blow up rotors and pistons, dead mp, dead pve, death when spawning on moving vessel, no diffirent weapons and other and other. But we add new medical rooms and suits! BRAVO! You are going to the right direction developers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thys Trainee Engineer

"You can enable cargo ships in any game save you like, just goto the config file for the save and change it.
    Goto your Saves folder in "...AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves\XXXXXXXX\worldname Where XXXXXXXX is a string of numbers.
    Goto into the WorldSave folder and open "Sandbox.sbc" in a text editor (I use Notepad++ "https://notepad-plus-plus.org/" Free and the best)
    Find and edit the line for cargoships from false to true
    <CargoShipsEnabled>false</CargoShipsEnabled> To <CargoShipsEnabled>true</CargoShipsEnabled>
    Save and close then open and play while cargo ships crash all around you.
    After a few days or even hours you will need to do some cleanup, the game cannot handle that much stuff all over the place."

ok Cool, thank you ill give it a go.
    :)

7. rexxar Senior Engineer

On one hand, there's a lot of updates deep in the multiplayer code, which is good(?). On the other, it broke SESE and I've spent the last few hours decompiling the SE libraries to try and figure out wtf is going on. This would be a really good time to update the source code >:-(

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. throttled829 Trainee Engineer

I have a question....if the argument against getting fed up with keen is that this is an early access game. And that early access games are for testing and feedback...why are they still selling the game, even putting it up for 20% off around the holidays and other random times?

There simply cannot be any need for additional thousands of players to buy into development for testing purposes. If you think so, you are being naive. The sales and the discounts are still rolling in and the way planets was marketed seems to have brought in many more players.

Seems to me, the vast majority here are pretty well frustrated with what has been getting released. Overall, I think Keen really needs to do a little housekeeping to tidy up what is still being sold and expected to be playable. However, I do agree that if something like creative SP works pretty well that does constitute a playable product...but is it marketed that way?

If you're going to keep pushing for more sales plus keep adding features...you really are going to need to do a great job of it on a consistent basis or people will continue to get pissed, downvote and come here bitching. Especially if those new features break the old features. Some things just are what they are whether you like it or not.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly am not so pissed that I'm wanting to burn the world down. I want some legitimate concerns to get answers so people chill out and this game gets back on a healthy path to release. A customer base can be a very fickle thing to manage and that is what we all are, early access or not.

I simply hope things improve, like it seems many who've voiced their opinions here would agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jenky Trainee Engineer

Do you have any evidence that the people complaining about lack of content are in fact the same people complaining about lack of stability? Or are you just making that up because it sounds like a good story?
    You can't just call the entire community a big hypocrite, because the community isn't a person, it's hundreds of thousands of separate people each arguing their own opinions at the same time. Telling it to make up it's mind: what mind? Of course in a group of thousands of individual people there are going to be conflicts of interest.

Not that it really matters though, because we are well done with the debate of content vs. stability. At this point the community firmly wants stability over content.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Riph Trainee Engineer

*logs in to see what's new*
    *mining smallship's connector detonates gloriously in the distance, pieces rain everywhere*

Oh Space Engineers.

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. YoyoZ Trainee Engineer

No one is expecting the game to be perfect over night. All any of use are saying is stop spending the hours on the fluff and fix the guts.. Then we can move on to the bling. We'v been waiting long enufe to get some major fundamental problems fixed. Wares the damn net code? Whats wrong with collisions.? Or am i just wrong in thinking? Do you not realy want this game to be multi player? Its like anything to do with dedicated64 is guess work at best. Sure would like to see a stable set of tools from your end instead of hoping some mod'er will continue some other guys work? Not much security there.

12. Krougal Senior Engineer

Well you're forgetting they need to pay their employees in the meantime. Someone threw like 1 million sold and $15 a pop out there before, and 15 million may sound like a lot of money to some of you but...
    I have no idea what Steams cut is, but I bet they ain't cheap.
    Game has been in development for a few years, and will (at this rate) be in development a few more. Payroll adds up fast. It's also a good idea to try to keep cash reserves on hand to cover payroll through lean sales periods, because most employees will tolerate a lot of shit, but not being paid isn't on that list.
    They are doing this with making a profit in mind, nobody can deny this and there is nothing sinister about it.
    No one is going to turn down more sales. Pretty much ever.

Also they need a far larger base than one would think; again taking 1 million copies sold for arugments sake, how many of them actively play, out of that how many of them actively make good solid bug reports?
    Or give good solid feedback. I bet it is a very small percentage.

Yeah, I know I was probably bashing them a post or two ago and now it looks like I am defending them.
    I try to be objective, see things from all sides, and tend to play Devils advocate.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Titus Trainee Engineer

I'm in space! Floating away. Love this game, bugs and all! please fix it now!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

How about testing your releases before you release them? I know that's a lot to ask. It might require someone at Keen... playing Space Engineers. The title has reached the size where you need a proper QA department. Trolling your own forum for bugs reported by amateur game players doesn't really give you the feedback you need to pinpoint the problems and address them.

Thank you for planets. Now let's clean up the mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ChaosDingus Trainee Engineer

Jetpack type might be new, but that's about it.
    Other models could be faster or slower - try becoming a space spider for a while, you're faster as one.
    While you can limit what a medbay can turn you into now, it was possible before to simply not place a healing point to click, much as it was possible to not place a costume change point. Disabling respawning is the only new thing on that front.

KEEN could find some more fixes by checking the github, but I haven't seen them take any fixes from there in... quite a while. Hell, just taking a dozen or so github fixes, slapping on a pretty video, and calling it an update would be better than this.

I really hope that the new netcode will be good.

16. Jorroo Trainee Engineer

I'm also a professional developer so I have some insight into this : NetCode is very likely a major reason for most of the bugs you have mentioned, and most are probably symptoms... also sometimes bugs like these take time to find and fix and in this case probably require large architectural changes , these take time ... patience is required by alpha testers <--- which is what you signed up for.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Joykiller Trainee Engineer

So Is it just me or is the Cargo Containers bugged and can only put things in not take them Out?

18. Xeracles Trainee Engineer

Ok Keen nice update .. time to say STOP and rework you code !
    The Dedicate "Trash" Server has a new state and runined the game .. change the description and remove the MP and Survival mode and never can cry.

19. Shabazza Junior Engineer

I'm also a professional SW developer. Not for gaming software, but for real machines. We are currently writing a completely new platform software from scratch and will do so for the next 3 years or so.
    And I can tell you: If new features constantly break existing stuff, you have a serious problem with your development process.
    Either on the planning-, programming- or testing side.
    May it be "Alpha" or whatever. But the premise in software development should always be to preserve existing functionality while adding new things.
    Otherwise you are piling up broken things that will give you headaches later on when the software is grown so complex that you have a really hard time to sort those things out.
    There should always be a software branch in a state that a developer, or in bigger projects, the integrator calls "working".
    Bugs will be there regardless, which hopefully will be found by testers during ongoing development. But adding a new feature and breaking 2 existing things with it regularely is not a picture of a "healthy development process".
    Maybe we cannot and should not lay the same premises on a small gaming software studio than on companies doing real stuff where people may get harmed if the software has broken functionality.
    But at least there should be a visible plan and known structure for updates/patches and future development when making a game early access.
    Otherwise the result will be what we currently see in this thread and many update threads before.
    It will continue to worsen the mood of the community. But it really doesn't have to be like this.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Devilwarriors Trainee Engineer

Yes!! finally!!

21. PeZook Trainee Engineer

My perspective on the whole issue is slightly different, because I view it as a marketing problem.

You can pretend all you like that a product is in an "alpha state" and thus customer expectations are unreasonable when they expect things A, B and C.

Thing is: even if they're unreasonable, they still have to be managed! You cannot dodge the fact that an early access game is still a product in the strict sense. It is simply a product with certain unique qualities that provide a challenge for sales and product management. Of course, we are not privy to sales and usage figures Keen receives from Steam - here on the forum only a small slice of the user base expresses their opinions, and - please don't get offended, but this doesn't mean jack.

Still, even if sales and use figures are looking good behind the scenes, Keen's communication strategy is poor to say the least. They should take a good look at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. vampsnit Trainee Engineer

It sounds like you are in a completely different industry. A lot of indie developers these days are following an agile approach to development. In fact, Early Access is encouraging exactly that. I can sympathize so I'll jump to their defense, though I would not go as far as stating my own credentials to add weight to my argument- take it as it is. I feel like we are applying niche

The bottom line is that this is alpha, and we ARE the alpha testers. In a traditional development model, the game should not even be completely playable at this stage. Sure we paid for the game, but armed with the knowledge that it is early access. You would probably not do the same with any other purchases that said they were incomplete and may or may not change further. Early access is it's own thing, it's a cop-out to apply other strategies to it to add weight to your argument.

I believe Keen should never have started to apologize for anything they break, as it sets a dangerous precedent where the users are driving development. The problem is most of the vocal users are not acting like testers or even care about the development cycle, they are playing the game as gamers. The game is already pretty complex and the underlying engine is always evolving -unlike a tried-and-tested engine used in commercial games- so preserving functionality is probably difficult, so over to us testers to find the issues.

There is some hypocrisy in that I actually like planets- a feature driven by the users. A big achievement for a "small gaming studio" dontcha think? It likely would have never happened if the game was developed in the traditional way.

That being said, I'd love to see a development road map or blog to know when to start getting excited to play regularly. This week's updates seem to be pretty small (some might say pointless), and have caused some additional bugs to appear sure- but they'll be fixed soon enough for us to continue testing. Fortunately, the negative comments are still bug reports, so the people complaining are actually doing their service as testers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Bings Trainee Engineer

Telling gamers about upcoming features or other things that are being worked on is a bad idea as they will spend week after week complaining it's not ready (see planets and netcode). Also, the people on here that think this update is about modding characters shows that even when they do say something, some people can't even bother to read. Keen could communicate more but there really isn't any pay off for them to do so because they will just invite a different type of whining and moaning on the forum, whatever they say. A lot of gamers are immature twats, it's an occupational hazard for a game dev and nothing they do will stop it.

That said, Keen have been quite clear for a long time that they intend the blocks to be a base layer for modders so adding more mod functions is part of their long term vision for the game. So people should have expected this update and also people should expect more updates where a block is given moddable options.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. ludovicus Trainee Engineer

Hi forums :)

I'm only playing SP but for quite some time now (600 hours played) and must say that ever since the planet update the game has become more and more unstable.

Thus far I've got the following issues/bugs on a frequent basis;
    - Falling through the world.
    - Mining crashing the game.
    - just playing crashing the game
    - pistons exploding
    - rotors exploding
    - Thrusters suddenly having negative a million power and thrusting my ships into the ground
    - dogs exploding my hard work just before an autosave
    - stuff being inside other stuff when loading games
    - reactors not powering my ships untill I grind them down and rebuild them
    - I forgot some...

So to say that I'm a bit miffed with the recent updates is an understatement.
    I understand what Alpha means and early access yet would like to stress the importance of some good community management during these hard days.

So that's my 2cents, flame away!

L.

• Late Late x 1
  25. flori1994 Trainee Engineer

the game is crahing every 10 to 20 min

26. Dakdyder Trainee Engineer

Honestly, if THIS is what Keen puts their time and effort into they are idiots. These are things MODDERS do not the DEVELOPERS. How can you possibly think we lack anything in this form of update when there are literally tens of thousands of mods on the Steam Workshop that come out daily?!? If they intended on being serious about the potential this game has, then you'd have long before seen updates in the MP area. However, as this is not the case... truly dissapointing and just saddening to see how many actual people still come to these forums in good faith. It's such a shame Keen blatantly lets their followers down without so much as a hint of sympathy or mutual compliance. Yet they are the reason KeenSH is as succesful as it is.

Please, just see what a succesful future for this game would look like. Multiplayer, official Keen servers. Worlds that could hold up to 100 players or even multiservers that would interconnect worlds as different star systems right? Then you'd always find interesting things instead of an endless empty space guaranteed (remnants of faction wars, abandoned space stations, fully operational bases, factories, fleets). You wouldn't need the npc factions and whatnot. If this is possible then the potential was justified. But right now, it all seems a faraway dream. What do these weekly updates add to that dream? They don't make MP or anything run smoother, they actually cripple it even more..... Why don't you let modders make new blocks, characters and other things, so that you can sort out the good ones liked by the community and add those to the game? That's a lot of work already done for you while you can still satisfy a lot of players.
    My only hope you have not given up on making this game the true breakthrough in gaming that it has all the potential for of being. :(

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  27. S7E Trainee Engineer

In that case I would immediately stop the development of the game, so the people get what they want: stopping support of game and developer. Makes no sense to keep working on a game, no one is interested in playing.

Edit:
    @KSH
    You should close comments to the update threads. They get only messier, with more than aggressive comments and hateful statements. There is nothing useful in them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. Murdock Trainee Engineer

Air vent bug, dissapear ice, freezes, power bug after use connector, gears\connector bug, blow up rotors and pistons, dead mp, dead pve, death when spawning on moving vessel, no diffirent weapons and other and other. But we add new medical rooms and suits! BRAVO! You are going to the right direction developers. !!!! its true!!!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  29. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Man, whole lot of whinerbabies crying over this update.

Chill out. Holidays only ended a little while ago, cut them some slack. This sort of "minor update breaks things and is almost immediately fixed" thing has happened loads of times before, it always works out.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Aequoris Trainee Engineer

No patch notes for the hotfix, but in case anyone is wondering, the inventory bug is not fixed in it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.