Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.120 - Highlights, bug fixes

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. frannic Apprentice Engineer

I agree on the chat field thing.
    But what i don't get is why they didn't let us choose what config we want.
    Changing controls that people are so used to and them forcing them to play that way is not a really smart idea.
    But i am confident that the devs will read up and give us an option to change it to whatever we like.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Krougal Senior Engineer

Ok, good point. So we all should be a little more aware of other people's playstyles.
    I don't play MP so the chat thing is non-issue to me, and something that I do use heavily was broken for it.
    I guess I should cut Marek some slack too cause he's a raw n00b. ;)

Still, exactly what you said. If they feel the need to change these things, at least make it configurable.

3. frannic Apprentice Engineer

Well for me personally it is not for chat, i don't really play MP because....well we all know why :p

For me it's the programmable blocks.
    I use them alot. So i drag the programmable block in my hotbar start typing my arguments and i always need () So i have to type shift + 9
    And that changes my hotbar to 9.(i use easy automation script a lot)
    Wich means i cannot assign any block to hotbar #1,2,3 etc. The only workaround i had was copy and pasting it in the textbox wich is a huge hassle as you can imagine.

4. GeeBeeEVE Trainee Engineer

I have an issue with this as I use Ctrl for my down thrust / crouch, this is my muscle memory for that function for over a decade now. I request the ability to bind the function for this back to shift or to a key of my choosing.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Kyle Rukiewicz Trainee Engineer

No more Falling ships!! Keen You guys Rock!

6. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I've never used tab in that way, so I didn't know it opened a window. Sounds like it won't affect me.
    Joel (@Xocliw), said before that if they want to read, they can read the changelog. So just read the post and ignore the video. The post has more information anyway.

Good point, that was annoying. ESC works to close it though too.

Ctrl is the worst key on the keyboard. Ctrl used to be use for things back when it was where the caps lock key is (but that was even before me). C is much easier to reach, and more comfortable on the hands.
    What games are you playing? That's in contrast the the above post I quoted, and even my own experience.
    That said, trying to change toolbar selection while running was impossible, as it would switch hotbars, so I can see why they changed it.
    Still, let us customize it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bumber Senior Engineer

Shift or Control, it's all the same to me. Now I boost downwards instead of upwards when trying to do stuff. Would prefer a more complex keybinding system that lets us choose modifier keys (Ctrl/Shift/Alt) for each action. Also to differentiate left and right Ctrl/Shift/Alt.

That way I could use the left ones for movement, and the right ones for toolbar/blueprint stuff.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

Is anybody else infuriated about the batteries turning off with Y? 'cuz I usually use my craft on recharge when I land 'em; And this basically turns off the very thing I'm aiming to recharge by doing this.

Oh and @Phoenix - My Keyboard still has a caps lock key.

Also with regards to Control Keys - They Used to be a lot more accessible - it's just that when every keyboard maker on the planet decided to squish in a "Windows Key" everything became super annoying placement.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  9. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Actually I was infuriated it didn't turn batteries off. Otherwise the batteries would get drained when docked to something else (if not recharged).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Krougal Senior Engineer

The problem is it also turns off the reactors on the grid you dock to (or at least used to) so it was useless for that anyway.
    I can highly recommend a good lightweight small craft docking/undocking script that only needs a program block to run ;)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601375512

Now on the other hand, having them turn on with Y does seem welcome, since I've had issues where the ship gets stuck unpowered (kinda like the no thrust bug) and hitting Y a few times sometimes works (which beats the hell out of logging out and back in)

11. SirLANsalot Apprentice Engineer

Every 3rd/1st person shooter or flying game has ALWAYS had Ctrl as the default Crouch/Down key, this game was no different, till they changed it for no reason.

Its like changing the movement keys from WASD to TFGH without saying why, then people who either try the game for the first time, or people who don't read patch notes, suddenly cant move.

When devs have default keys that make no sense, clearly shows they have NO idea what gamers are used to (and need to learn how to game, not dev LOL). Universally accepted keys among gamers are WASD as movement, CTRL as Crouch/Down, and SHIFT is usually Walk or Run (depending on the game) and SPACE is Jump/Up. If you try out a new 3rd or 1st person game, you should already know where the default keys reside, and only need to check the key-binds for any "new" stuff that pertains to that game only.

However, the Solution KSH you need, is to allow the SCROLL WHEEL to select whats on the tool-bar, and if you scroll past the last selection it should auto move to the next set of keys, take a look at Fortress Craft Evolved for a reference in how to PROPERLY do hot bars.
    If the game wont let you make it work like that, then its time to get working on MAKING it do that.

As for the change from K to F, well I already did that one about as soon as I started playing this game, it made no sense to move your hand away from your movement keys just to open a container. F and G are two very easy to access keys from a normal WASD hand position, along with Q and E, as such my Q is rotate left and my R key is rotate right, since E is another key that FPS games use as Interact.

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. DuncanBizkit Trainee Engineer

Ok, ok.... I have to admit, Keen seemed to have got so much right this week, which is in stark contrast to last week (and the weeks before that since and including the introduction of cyberslobs - called that because I still see them and probably always will, as an incredibly ill thought-out and unimaginative creation/addition).
    If this trend of fixing the game continues, then I for one will have some confidence restored in KSH.

Long time since I felt you guys deserved this, but "good work, Keen!". :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. wallofchaos Trainee Engineer

Please change the keybinds back. I have to use RIGHT control + 1-9 to change my hotbars.... NOT COOL..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Krougal Senior Engineer

???

I do too, but I...ahhh...the scripts I use the args just go in without any special characters around them, so I've never ran into that.
    It doesn't suspend the action though? I had been using () as non-script-related descriptive nametags, and I hear the click every time I type them, but never noticed hotbars changing.

15. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

Use the comma key and the period key, you know the ones that have < and >

They swap the hotbars

16. Krougal Senior Engineer

I don't care what you quoted. Granted, I am not up on the latest FPS & RPG (and CTL where the caps is is not before me :p) but regardless, I think the point we all agree on is we want the keybindings configurable.
    ALL of the keybindings.

Curious, why would you need to change toolbars when running? We don't have enough hand tools and weapons to even fill up 1 hotbar.
    I can see if there was a lot of running and gunning to do in this game and a lot of different weapons/actions/spells/whatevs.

Yeah, it's nice to have as an additional option, but who takes their hand off the mouse when they don't have to? Right-side of the keyboard is not convenient for anybody, it's more like a last resort. Especially when you are gonna select hotbar, select item by # with left hand and then place it with the mouse.

17. Particulator Trainee Engineer

Top of the list of the 14th of january roadmap.

SE roadmap
    Multiplayer - polishing, checking design, lag, compensation<

I didn't read anything about key remapping.

I'm not happy, again....
    I will keep telling my friend to keep their money and NOT buy SE because it doesn't seem we'll be having an enjoyable time playing anytime soon since all we get for fixes is stuff NO ONE asked!!!!!

side note to the forum admins...
    Seems like your trophy system needs a "patch" too.:p
    I own a copy of Se and Me on Steam but i don't see them in my list of trophies.
    Just an observation, no biggie.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I'm not changing the hotbar, I'm trying to switch to something else, like switch from welder to rifle on the same bar. If you are running while doing that, it would change which hotbar you were on instead. That means you'd have to stop running, switch item, then run again.
    But yeah, all the keybindings should be customizable, especially in a more complex game like SE, where everyone has their way of doing things.
    Like someone else suggested, I like the idea of the mouse scroll wheel changing the selected item.

For example, I have the stream controller, and now I have to remap it because of this change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tynaiden Trainee Engineer

Overall I see the reasons for what Keen does to SE as trying to be helpful or useful. Making more keys non-configurable is frustrating in a sandbox game with tons of features and windows to control.

Still can't change camera zoom input key. I would prefer to have camera zoom set to Alt + MWheel like some other games which also makes sense as holding Alt moves the camera view. I also used ESDF movement so the forced Ctrl toolbar hotkey is tad more frustrating than WASD. There was something else I wanted to keybind but I can't recall as it has been so long going without that I just don't bother. I even took it upon myself to peruse the game data files for the keybindings and there is no mention of a function for camera zoom and whatever it was I was looking for.

With GUI reworks, network reworks, PBR, new block models, and continued tweeks to planet optimizations - I'm not holding my breath for fully rebinding controls but still appreciate the work Keen is putting into SE. Just hoping it might make it onto their to-do list sometime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

I would just much rather have every control rebindable to our preferred keys including the shortcut keys. The Ctrl key is far too useful to have it limited to only a single function that you can't rebind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Krougal Senior Engineer

*facepalm*
    Yeah. Didn't think of that.
    Yes, mousewheel for sure.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I like how the inv-put sound it now a ME style "shluck" sound rather than the usual "BEEPCLICK BEEPCLICK!" sound

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

Okay. After playing a bit... This is not okay. "And we tweaked the controls scheme a bit. Hot keys are now accessible via the Control Key. From now on the CTRL key has only this function now, so it may take couple of minutes to get used to."

The distance between your finger and the 1-9 keys is too great for one who constantly swaps between toolbars in building.(Its also a pain because now I go down every time I want to swap toolbars..) Can we have the option to specify which key does this. Or have it changed back to Shift?

• Agree Agree x 6
  24. hairlessOrphan Trainee Engineer

I actually registered to beg someone to let me rebind CTRL. Also, please get the person who decided this was a fun idea to come to the forums and explain him or herself, so that we can have a proper witch hunt. I have pitchforks to hand out if anyone needs it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  25. GeeBeeEVE Trainee Engineer

So update to previous post, attempted playing, the shift to ctrl change for changing hotbars is unbearable, i am not playing until the hotfix comes to correct this. Also I Request priority be put on hotbars on vehicles in multiplayer saving. Somehow this needs to happen, saving to server would be best so multiple players could use it, but at the very least save the data on my client for that cockpit from session to session. Setting up every single hotbar whenever you want to use something or load / unload is very annoying.

Thanks Keen!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. bengin33r Trainee Engineer

Make the ctrl and shift for hotkeys a menu option. Shift was much more comfortable for me to use, some people like ctrl - could you give us the choice please? We're not sheep you know.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. bengin33r Trainee Engineer

You know, in addition, every time I hit control to change hotkeys, if my tool isn't clear or pointing away, I end up placing blocks by accident. It's annoying to always have to look away or clear my tool selection when changing hotkeys.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. ziant Trainee Engineer

YAY!!! more fixes!!!

29. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Sure, it's easy to look at the keyboard and think that control is right next to shift, no big deal.

But you would be wrong!
    Going through the menu sets 1-9 is more of a stretch, and a good 2 or 3 more of them became a 2-hand operation.

But instead of bashing the control key, let's step back and look at what the real problem here is: The menu is awkward. And primarily the reason that playing with a controller is nearly impossible.

If I could hold down shift or control and use the mouse scroll-wheel, that would be neat. Or maybe a prev/next set? Do the [] keys do anything? Oh right, colors.

I don't have the best answer, really I think we need some better options and people can figure out whats going to work.

• Agree Agree x 4
  30. discodancepant Trainee Engineer

kudos to the devs for the oxygen system fix. Was finally able to test it after my night classes and whatnot. Couldn't find any issue with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.