Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.122 - Hit Confirmation, Bug fixes

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Weeeell presumably the pirate faction is manned with evil Treebeards.

In theory: yes.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

Can you guys just leave the damn glass alone? It was totally fine the way it was before because we could actually see through the damn things.

I'm sorry, but there's no point in playing a game focused on building space ships when half the time you can't even see out of them.

[​IMG]

However, I am happy that the game is loading up faster now.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  3. szalkerous Trainee Engineer

Not for nothing, but with the massive amount of space debris that exists floating all over the place, I'm not surprised in the least that windows would be a mess. Call it realism.

Even with the texture, these windows are lightyears nicer looking than what you have in 7 Days to Die, so I shall not be complaining whatsoever. Although, the damage-staged textures idea sounds kinda cool.

If you hate them, get a mod.

• Disagree Disagree x 12
  4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I guess... i mean.. it's the locked function at max speed just made available for manual use, which will make things like ships with retracting landing gear "usable".

So...... yeah.. this will be cool, I have yet to try it... game crashed after today's update :woot:

5. w0lf3y Apprentice Engineer

I couldn't find an option to weld the rotors. I found that nice little checkbos at the bottom of the piston menu, but nothing I can find anywhere on rotor terminal menu, or rotor hotbar menu :(. This makes me sad. I like mixed grid construction and when Joel (SP?) says pistons and rotors, I got all happy. Only to find it's really just pistons. It's fantastice that a manual override was added for pistons, don't get me wrong, but, he said rotors too, and I want me some rota force weldz tooz!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

It's not realistic when a freshly-built window is built with scratches on it.

The update also screwed up many mods that relied on the glass textures.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

** looks at "freshly built" armor block **

It appears to me that the standard look for standard blocks is "slightly weathered". Every standard block in the game bears scratches, especially since DX11. I'm not aware of any current spacecraft that sport large picture windows, but I have no doubt a new window would get scratched up in fairly short order. In any event, Keen has decided that standard items in their game will not look new and shiny, even when "fresh built". The "new and shiny" blocks can be found in the Workshop.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DaveC9000 Trainee Engineer

Keen in case you haven't figured this out yet let me spell it out for you: It's not that this new glass is bad looking in general - in fact it looks pretty cool as a graphic, but it's just not appropriate as the ONLY (or for that matter the default) glass option in SE. You should have either implemented this as an additional window type, or made it a mod. LOTS of players look through these windows while using flight seats so at least some of the time we NEED the option to be able to see through them. If my car windshield got this screwed up I wouldn't be able to drive it for safety reasons - same thing applies here. Aesthetics are not really the issue here it's really about functionality and the bottom line is that by removing the option to use windows as a windshield you are severely limiting peoples' design options for no good reason.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Zenduin Trainee Engineer

Pistons now behave like there is a built-in landing gear between the piston head and base.

This means that when you check that "Force Weld" box the head of the piston and the grid it is attached to becomes detached from the piston and locked in place with a landing gear type effect, when you uncheck the box the piston attempts to re-attach itself. Note that if you used the merge block trick to merge the heads of two pistons into one grid then most likely only one of the heads will re-attach to it's piston.

This also means your ship will occasional self-destruct when unlocking landing gear while you have pistons locked. When I first tried this feature my small rover left a crater almost as large as a large grid warhead :)

Also, since the head of your piston is detached, you cannot use any functional block attached to the head of said piston. I thought it would be great to use a drill on the end of a piston and lock it in place so that I wouldn't need to worry about the piston exploding if the drill touched a voxel, but now I just can't use the drill.

I think a better functionality would be to have the piston locking feature behave more like a merge block. If the downside is that the piston is only lockable at block-width intervals I think we can deal with that

10. Koder Apprentice Engineer

Holy crap! Thank you for the communication on where you are at with multiplayer!

11. KissSh0t Master Engineer

After seeing the new glass in-game... I do not like the new glass at all.

Which is a first for me, all the previous ones I didn't mind at all... and there have been quite a few changed to glass up until this point, but this one.... just no...

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

I've been staring at armor blocks. I'm even building a vanilla carrier using unaltered vanilla armor blocks.

I don't think the armor blocks have any scratches on them... at all... even in DX11. They don't even look weathered. I built my fighter using mods that use the default armor textures. They look pristine and and undamaged.

And again, it makes no sense that windows are scratched by space debris when the are clearly bulletproof-grade windows. As in, they can resist fire from miniguns that shred through half a meter of solid steel armor.

They should not be scratched by bits of space dust. Maybe very very minor scratches yes. But not these huge gashes that we see on the glass texture.

Not even the ISS has scratches that large on its windows, and there is a lot of space dust and debris falling to and floating around Earth. Not to mention that those textures imply that the ship is hitting objects the size of baseballs, which is absolutely absurd because no pilot with a brain would deliberately fly through debris that thick. Some of that stuff gets caught in your engines and you're going to be stranded in space without a paddle. Or heck, even just constantly accelerating would mean that those "space debris" are going to smash into your ship and heavily damage its components.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. dainw Trainee Engineer

I know this has been mentioned, but let me add my name to the list - this glass texture is terrible.

Drui, we need you to march down the hall, grab the texture artist who did this by the ear, and throw his ass out into a snowbank. Do it now! We'll wait.

Okay, now that he's gone, let's talk about this reasonably. We know you guys hate clear glass. We mostly hate clear glass too - so we're in agreement. We realize you guys don't want to run into glass all the time, and you know what, we don't want to either. We're still in agreement. The way it was, with a super light tiny perimeter of dust around the edge, and a very light tint on one side letting us know which side faces 'out', I don't know if anyone really liked it.

It was fine, but we all want something more. How much more though... that's the question.

We want a little more. Just a little. A light touch, a bit of fog, some condensation, maybe a few little frost tracings here and there, and one or two smallish scratches off to the side in a way they won't tile or repeat across the front of a ship noticeably... that'd be perfect.

Remember the engineering mantra: JUST ENOUGH IS GOOD ENOUGH.

You are going way overboard with the dust and scratches. If you're at 100% now, and it used to be at 4%, let's try 10% and see how that looks? If we need more, we'll let you know, I am sure of it.

Also, condensation and frost would be way more realistic than scratches. I can totally accept a brand new window would have some frost and condensation on it. But how did that window I just welded up get all scratched up?

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 9
  14. Sumyunguy Trainee Engineer

I could take windows becoming more scratched with damage. However, building a scratched window from... well... scratch is a bit silly.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

Honestly how they did the glass before was perfectly fine.

Dark-tinted on one side (which makes sense, since realistically it would help to cut down on the glare from the sun and aid in more convenient piloting in-universe), and then clear on the other (so we can *gasp* actually see where the heck we're going.) It also looked really cool.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, this is clearly (see what I did there?) an area where the developers' view (did it again) differs from the players. I am clearly in the "not so bright and shiny" camp, and I have the mods to prove it. It appears Keen also believes mining and combat activities can take the polish off even the newest ships and stations. But, why should they make the game the way they envision it when there are so many here that know better? The "make the game the way I want it and hell no I will NOT use a mod" crowd might want to consider that the only people that have a real, tangible, visceral stake in what the glass looks like is Keen. If you're going to stop playing the game because you don't like the glass and won't use a mod, will that have any impact on future sales of SE or the future of KSH? Probably not. Should we let Keen know what we think? Absolutely, as long as we remember it's their game, not ours.

Frankly, my capital ship probably sports more glass than some people's entire fleet. I liked the glass back in the DX9 days, and I liked how it turned out after DX11. If it's more scratchy now, in my case it'll fit. It's not that I don't care. I truly believe mods exist for those that are not enamoured with Keen's vision of the game. That's all.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

Except if you actually bothered to read my previous posts, I explained very clearly that the glass also screwed up the mods as well. Because *gasp* for convenience and optimization, as not everyone can afford a 2000-dollar pc/laptop to run SE, many of the mods made use of the in-game window textures.

It also doesn't make any sense when Keen changes the textures for the glass, but then we still get perfectly clear and "bright and shiny" glass interiors on our cockpits. Really?

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

Haven't played in a while.
    Joined a server and found a bug before even spawning.
    The new option to silent the game when in background was on. So when I switched back to browser while joining the server, it went silent (ok).
    When finished joining, back to the game and there were 2 tracks playing at the same time. The intro song and a new track.

19. dainw Trainee Engineer

Except, many of us play on dedicated servers. What are we supposed to do? What answer do you have for the people playing on any of the 450+ servers running right now?

I want to reply constructively, but there's a real problem just assuming mods can fix problems in the game. Yes, for singleplayer, they can. For singleplayer, the choice to run vanilla is a personal one, and not a requirement. But many of us don't play alone or with steam friends, we play online, on hosted servers - and we can't run mods. Do you have a constructive reply for those people?

I like seeing some dust and frost and whatnot on the glass - I don't want pristine glass. I just want way less of a mess than we have now, is that too much to ask? I recognize it's their game, it's their vision - - but they have showed us, countless times, that they listen to their community, that they care what we think, that they put a lot of importance on making the game we want to play. I don't think it's unreasonable at all, to ask for them to dial back the scratches a bit.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. McTraveller Apprentice Engineer

I've got to say - I don't understand what people are talking about "glass needs more visibility because I keep running into it". Do people really have issues "running into" glass because it's transparent?

Just... baffling.

(For the record, I like the one-side-dark glass for exterior windows, but it would be nice to have both-side-transparent glass for interior work. But I've never had any difficulty seeing glass.)

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  21. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

maybe it's a misinterpretation of "i can't tell which side is the dark side when placing the block"

also, I can't tell where the lock rotors option is. :|

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

I've had a problem running into glass once or twice, but that was because I wasn't really paying attention and didn't have my lights on in a dark ship.

But honestly, I didn't know people had such a big problem with running into glass... o_O Like... really?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Hypothetical conversation at Keen:

Graphic Artist: I just spent the half a day adding a few more scratches and dirt and stuff to the glass textures.

Lead: Needs more.

Graphic Artist: I just spent the other half of the day adding a few more in addition... as requested.

Lead: Still needs more.

Graphic Artist (after 12 espressos and pulling an all nighter): THERE! I SCRATCHED THE F____ OUT OF THOSE WINDOWS!!! It looks like a cat on crack was chasing an imaginary mouse holding a laser pointer all over that S___. Are you happy now? Are you happy now???

(slams door and contemplates new career in waste disposal)

Lead (through door): Still needs one more pass by Thursday morning!

• Funny Funny x 13
  24. ziant Trainee Engineer

yay more fixes. please don't scratch the window.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

How about Three types of glass with varying material requirement. Used, scratched ones are cheapest... and.. well, you get it.

Scratched
    Pristine
    Tinted (scratches are obviously not seen due to the advanced "Space Shield" technology that inherently makes things clearer)

mods available for those needing more..

Now we can move on to cameras and their shoddy lenses.. my old Kodak camera from the very early 1900's has a clearer image.

• Agree Agree x 4
  26. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

The cameras being used right now have better image quality.

What happened to camera tech in 2077...? :(

You dun goofed SE Humanity. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  27. Kivister Trainee Engineer

28. Asurada11 Trainee Engineer

I woke up in the morning and went right into the game without reading the notes.
    The first thought to my head was...
    Holy crap, someone pour poop on my window

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Right now, glass is a fudging mess.

As for those who want silly amounts of realism, please turn your computer off and go outside. There is your realism. ;)

The glass we had last week IMO was the best in a long time. Howeeeever, the ghost when placing glass needed a lot of work. It was hard to tell which way was the inside/outside/tinted.

EDIT: still the same in the latest patch too. Anyone notice that it also affects cameras?

• Agree Agree x 6
  30. Adrian175 Trainee Engineer

Wow! Starting to turn SE into a proper FPS now?!
    Also that new dx11 suit looks AUSOME!(btw when are u going to fix dx11? i think for me, its still a bit broken(something to do with intel graphics card?))

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.