Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.125 - Updated Character Model, New Ambient Sounds

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. g4borg Apprentice Engineer

so the new model, does it allow to change the face separately? something like UMA in unity or similar for some face diversity later on? or face models in the workshop?

and the glass overlay - gotta see that myself. generally i was already apalled by the cam overlay, i mean i would understand some clutter, but srsly, its too much. i am in the future and my five meter big camera has such a terrible picture?

a bit of seriousness isn't that bad in this game. the rest of the design neutrality was always awesome.

great to hear multiplayer development. keep that up. i know its hard and tough, really. the decisions. rpc or unreliable. position or no position. data bursts. timing issues.
    to breathe the dream, i suggest some ark downtime. i whish installing a SE DS would be as easy and performant (and even from a linux console with anonymous steamcmd, wow).
    dont lose that goal. shiny stuff is nice, but dont lose that goal, of offering micro-mmo-experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Shabazza Junior Engineer

I have not tried this yet as I'm currently loading the update.
    Is opening the visor actually letting the player breathe air of the room, or will he still suffocate?
    The latter would be sad...

3. AlchemicalAgent Apprentice Engineer

Opening the visor allows you to breath as expected.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Riph Trainee Engineer

Flipping up the visor lets you breath on planets.

I think it's a neat change, and reflects the cautious attitudes embraced by engineers intimately familiar with how fragile their life support systems are (after all, they installed them.)

I'd never take my helmet off, personally.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

You ever taken a long ride on a motorcycle? You will want to take your helmet off...

6. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I think I missed an important piece of information with a previous comment.
    The windows issues has been brought up many times during @Xocliw stream, and it was said that they are at least throwing ideas around for something different.
    One thought was using damage/construction states to show the scratches. 100% is clear, but you start taking damage, and the scratches appear.

Marek also wanted 'decals' that appear when you shoot at something (bullet holes). If they add that, they might be able to use the same process for window scratches.
    All I know is that 'glassgate' isn't over yet. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I think having a visor makes sense because the alternatives are between having a series of poses holding/storing the helmet, or having it simply disappear(like before). also no more light coming from the space next to his head,since the helmet is always there.

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Yes. Because there's a motivation to taking off the helmet or a perceived or real advantage. However, doing so increases risk.

That's what Keen is missing. Being able to take off the helmet yields no advantages only additional risks. So some sort of balancing needs to be done else it's purely a cosmetic feature that has no impact on game play.

9. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

I tried looking at the new model in third person and you can't zoom in far enough to actually see the detail changes in detail. And I rarely play in 3rd person anyways so the only time I ever see my character is when I'm sitting in the cockpit looking around sweet my lap looks so much more detailed oh wait I can see my own eyeballs and nose when I'm looking down and the inside of my helmet when looking Side to side

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. blooddragon606 Apprentice Engineer

why all the fuss about bird sounds? We are playing in a geocentric universe without universal gravitation. We roam living planets that have no liquid water and no precipitation, a physics model that ignores centrifugal force, a thruster model that ignores moments of inertia (there's a mod for that) and a player who never gets hungry, thirsty, irradiated, cold, nor hot.

Oh, and Newton's first law went out the window to ?prevent desynch? I still cannot walk around in a ship that should be in uniform motion.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

I looked you up because you made the comment "I rarely play anymore". At those hours you have earned the right to stop playing. If you played 8 hours a day, which I think we can agree is a decent gaming session, you'd have to play 171 days straight. That's hardly a red mark on Space Engineers. I get it, you might WANT to play more if they'd totally do the thing with the thing, but for whatever price you paid I'd say you not only got your money's worth, the argument could be made Keen has actually lost money on you at this point. So rather than focusing on how you don't want to play anymore, you should flip it into a positive and say what would make you want to play another 1,200 hours. It's a subtle shift in tone that this forum desperately needs. Personally I originally thought SE would make the perfect game you are describing, I'm not surprised at all. I thought having a big persistent server where two (or more) factions can build and collide would make a terribly interesting multiplayer game. You could have people building and repairing, gathering resources and maintaining systems while others go out and raid, fight and defend. Sounds awesome and it would explain why the game has things like guns that have never seen additional implementation beyond existing, or why the blocks are called ARMOR blocks.

That said, it's been pretty clear so far that Space Engineers is the quintessential pointless sandbox. I'm not really sure what Keen is trying to accomplish because I think whatever they wanted to accomplish was thrown out the window years ago. I get the strong feeling that they had this idea for a thing, but once people started playing it they had all these conflicting ideas of what it should totally be and instead of making a strong stand and being that thing (and thus alienating or upsetting the requisite portions of the fan base) they instead opted to be no thing and therefore just upset everyone and no one all at once. This seems to be the fate of many Early Access games, especially sandboxes. Even the original granddaddy, Minecraft, had the same problem. The people who were originally in it when the whole game was 'creative' felt shafted by all this new stuff introduced for survival mode! Yeah, Survival mode turned it into a game, but there were players who thought it was going to be something completely different. The other issue is that Keen also has done nothing to expand the ideas they DID implement, so even my idea of what survival should be is easily doable within the current engine with just some thought as to what experience the game is meant to offer, and that's another point I wholly agree with. I'm often highly tempted to mod it for that reason; hell, they released the source code TWICE. It's clear they are telling us something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Kham Apprentice Engineer

@Prescott Freyd any clues as to what today's hotfix is hopefully addressing?

13. bronxae Apprentice Engineer

Was wondering the same thing Kham, hopefully some more of the memory leak issues have been fixed, it would be nice to sit in the main menu for more than 5 minutes with out worrying about a potential crash.

14. Spets Master Engineer

I dont understand why some people are so disappointed with the new model. This will make moded characters even more detailed, and it is also only the 3D mesh, they didnt touched the skeleton that much it seems. and for a female character it will probably need an entire new skeleton model, also for movements and perhaps different attributes. Like, I dont know, less weight to carry, less consumption of oxygen, etc.
    I like the new helmet animation, but I also not 100% agree with this. Like it is just cosmetic imo. If there where a better reason to take off your helmet and not just for roleplay. maybe if you can change your EVA suit completely for a more light suit when you are inside the ship or in a planet surface with oxygen.
    Today I saw this planet on the workshop http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=638150756 and started to wish if we can have more hazard environments, so we have to use different suits and stuff. This is all for immersion of course, and survival aspects.

15. aka13 Trainee Engineer

My ships welders are not working anymore, they turn on, but fail to pull components from conveyor network. What's happening?

16. Don Jacobs Junior Engineer

Patch, what is in it Keen? :/

17. etde Trainee Engineer

Sounds like a reasonable patch, but hard to appreciate because since v. 1.124 my game has been crashing to desktop 100% repeatably some 2-3 minutes after loading (seemingly irrespective of what I was doing) with "Attempted to read or write protected memory" in the log. There's hardly a version recently that does not have some catastrophic fault that makes gaming either impossible or annoying. It's really sad to me because this game is a wonderful idea that deserves better. I can send somone the log or something, but really... the bugs should be fixed. IMHO no cosmetic changes are needed until the game is stable.

18. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

No, they're not, and never have been. Do not confuse cosmetic additions with the development team's priorities. Little things like helmet visor or glass texture are things that can be implemented without bringing down the entire game, so why not just go ahead and implement them? The background stuff is slower going and isn't universally noticed, but that's where the most effort is. The multiplayer experience is the key to SE's longevity, and everything that needs to be done is not going to happen in one update, nor is something they believe they have fixed always actually fixed. It's not fair to measure Keen's progress by evaluating the need of the new trinkets they release. The fix for drilling on DS is far more important than the texture of the glass, IF the drilling was indeed fixed.

You need to send in that log because your experience (crash to desktop) is not universal. It's apparently happening to a subset of computer configurations. They might gain valuable insight from your information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Neochrome Trainee Engineer

u think i found a bug:
    When Mining a rock on the planet, i start and i am pushed DOWN into the planet, to the point im stuck OR falling through the planet
    i get around it by digging from the top! but i dont always have enough Hydrogen for my jet pack

20. LeonserGT Apprentice Engineer

(not mine)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Potter_4077th Trainee Engineer

YES! MINING FIX!!!

22. Kesth Trainee Engineer

There seemed to be a hotfix around 6 hours ago, any notice on the changes?

23. Fragman Apprentice Engineer

Nobody hear you in space! Superairtight helmet!

• Funny Funny x 3
  24. JayCo2013 Apprentice Engineer

This update fixed alot of isses and as yet has not presented any more so a great update. I prefer the helmet visor moving rather than the helmet itself being removed, makes it more real and immersive, after all a helmet in real life takes a while to get off and put back on, but the visor has a release for atmsphere breathing so I am all in favor of this change.
    What I would like to know thought is.... what was in this 35mb update I got today? As there is no mention of what was patched from this update?

Also as to the pulsing complaints you barely notice it if your not actively looking for it, Seriously stop complaining about such a tiny issue, its been added to correct for a colour blinding issue, ie if you mixed the colour just right you would find it very hard to see the click box, pulsing it helps distinguish it a bit more against a similar colour. And its not a strobe efect, seriously when did you last go into a disco a strobe is much much faster.

25. achedb0b 2 Trainee Engineer

I have no idea how to switch the visor up and down. They never said what key it is?

26. Capac Amaru Trainee Engineer

I love the new model, and the helmet animation, but what happened to the helmet free model? Didn't the patch video say you could still change to it with the medbay menu? Its not in the drop down anymore that I can see. Whats the deal???

27. Prime Trainee Engineer

This. is. not. acceptable.

EDIT - Yes, I do dislike my own post. Is there like a spoiler tag I can use for that chunk or something? That'd be nice. Regardless, Keen, the game is broken to the point that I do not wish to play it anymore. I have no issues being a glorified tester if the issues I report are being fixed, but why you ignore DS problems? You're making the assumption that your servers will be better, and even if by some miracle they are completely stable, people are still going to want to play modded space engineers. Too many good mods to list. Stop pretending you're going to be the bottom line for our server needs, I don't even want to play Vanilla. No lasers, no shields, no counter measures, not ECM. No real wartime technologies aside from those, 'incredibly advanced' chinese rockets, thense taken and equipped on helicopters as deadly weapons.

Do you have to pay the chinese like a fee to use weapons this pathetic and obviously fake? They produced the models and the code right?

For the person who's saying we should cast this in more positive light.

"Golly Jee Willikers Keen! One of your updates a while back has my breaks on full time, and I feel like I'm dragging my face across the ground! Wouldja mind speeding things back up please, as I'd really like to reach that one urainium asteroid before I hit old age! Thanks so much Keen, great game! Keep it coming, I'd love to be addicted for another 600 hours!"

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Echillion Senior Engineer

YOU WHAT! I thought we could still remove the helmet at a Medbay? KEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. etde Trainee Engineer

I don't disagree with the general message of your post, but two points:

- I see a lot of recent cosmetic changes that must have required the attention of a developer: environment dependent sounds, formatting and rounding distances, changing block interaction rules, highlights, etc. As a player who's been affected by a lot of various bugs, most of them regressions, as well as half-finished features in recent releases, I would prefer if this time was spent on stabilisation (bugfixing and improving regression tests) and on finishing a smaller number of features before releasing them. That's just a personal preference, others may prefer otherwise.

- as for glass IMHO it's really a perfect example of how not to go about this (half-finished feature). Just see how many people are pissed off. If for some reason you have this idea that this game needs dirty glass (and that's an if, but I can see some logic in it), the way you go about this professionally is that you don't touch existing designs and you don't make them suddenly look fundamentally different. Instead you add to the system and give the user the choice. This should have been added to the color chooser dialog as an option to choose the texturing of glass elements (clean/dirty), just as you choose colors before the block is placed. The existing designs should have defaulted to clean glass to look the same as before. And then if you want to build of dirty glass, you can. Or you can build of clean glass. Or you can mix clean and dirty glass as needed. Most would have been happy with that I guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Manticore Apprentice Engineer

If the the game is that good there must be more cogent comments that can be made to progress the game.

The game is fantastic, yes; but how does the word "first" characterise that at all?

If the game is that good how about: "Thanks KSH for staying on top of updates and improving this game. The constant updates show that the developers are serious about making this good game even better. My faith in the devs here gets amped up every week when I see the improvements being made."

Yes; that would work.

First? First what? First post? So what?

Brilliant comment. I'm not sure what you aspect of the iteration process you are referring to but your comment, Crowely and Ozzy rock.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.