Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.127 - Improved autopilot, wheels replacement

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lrj52 Apprentice Engineer

They have been updating the netcode for weeks. Last week they finished rewriting all the blocks to the new netcode, and Xocliw literally said in THIS update video that the netcode is still in development right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

When I grind the wheel the thing lifts up on its larger invisible collisions. It shares the same exact boxy/large collisions as the other non-suspension wheels. Which when adding two wheels together, causes one to not spawn due to the larger collision mesh.

You missed the point of what I meant, I wasnt trying to say the wheel looks larger in its construction stage, cause it doesnt really. Its the collision mesh OF the wheel, you can see when I grind it to the second stage, the front of that vehicle lifts up. When I weld it back, it rests back down. Its because it swaps the collision boundaries, which the welding stages have larger collisions, thus lifting up the vehicle.

Now, if it DOES require a code edit. Couldn't they just apply the final wheels code to the construction stages?

Or entirely redo the construction stage of the wheel to where when you first start building it, its just the rim of the wheel, and the final stage, being completion, would add on the tire.

Stage 1: Base frame of wheel hub
    Stage 2: Fully built wheel hub/Mostly built
    Stage 3: Fully built wheel with tire.

Report made. As well as one for the additional add-on wheels, the nonsuspension bound ones. Entirely passed over. Not a single response.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

A ship will spawn at a height set between the upper atmosphere and the outer gravity radius.

4. vangrunz Apprentice Engineer

Thanks a lot! Although I like my character's eyebrows, they were however somewhat irritating. ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. EvilDylan Apprentice Engineer

Could improved autopilot be a step towards getting cargo ships back in the game? Given that it involves collision detection and fixing autopilot bugs (some of which pertained to planets).

...Also... I kind of miss the raw gameplay footage update videos...

6. kingkrieg Apprentice Engineer

LOL i can only imagine this on an MP, this had to be the most hilarious bug i have heard about, the planet vanishing and leaving nothing but structures floating, hahahaha, i wish someone would make a video out of it

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Spets Master Engineer

is just me or the add wheel feature doesn't work in survival, didn't tested in creative yet

8. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

Here's the full XML changes for respawn ships:
    It is now possible to specify a few properties on respawn ships that will allow the ships to spawn near specific positions.
    This way it is possible to create planet specific landers, or simply have the space-based ships spawn outside gravity fields.
    Additionally, ships that spawn near planets will align the cockpit with the gravity vector so that the ships will always be upright.

In the CubeGrid defition of the respawnship we have added the following tags:

UsePositionForSpawn:
    Enables position usage for spawning. It is set to false by default. If this position happens to be near a planet, it will instead use planetary alignment settings.
    Usage: <UsePositionForSpawn>true</UsePositionForSpawn>

PlanetSpawnHeightRatio:
    Spawns the ship at a specified height between the upper atmosphere and the outer gravity radius. The value is clamped between 0.05 and 0.95.
    Usage: <PlanetSpawnHeightRatio>0.3</PlanetSpawnHeightRatio>

SpawnRangeMin, SpawnRangeMax:
    Additional randomized height spawned at a planet. This allows a little randomization for the spawning of ships. The distance is in meters.
    Usage:
    <SpawnRangeMin>500</SpawnRangeMin>
    <SpawnRangeMax>650</SpawnRangeMax>

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

yes but it doesn't just look worn out. it doesn't really look space-y. I often compare it to the way old beat up playgrounds look(graphiti,skin marks,etc) and it really breaks the immersion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Leon_Trippler Trainee Engineer

Why not build the game first and then figure out how to multiplayer. But then again... the multiplayer experience counts to the gameplay.. never mind. Please keen, build a well optimized game and I wish you as few issues with the engine as possible!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

No... but the lag of 1000 rotors would make it take a while... a long while.

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. chrisb2e9 Trainee Engineer

I'm having crash issues with pasting in blueprints. one of my ships (small grid) explodes. every time, exactly the same way (vanilla ship) and a larger one(large grid) simply crashes the game. The ship that explodes was blueprinted post patch, and the other one was created pre-patch. Anyone else having issues like this?

13. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Well.. tested the fix on conveyor sorters ..... and it's working great. Many thanks for fixing that, as I was getting seriously fed up dumping stone.

14. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

Yay, Finally something I've been fixed for a while now - the ships respawning in the wrong locations per enviroment :D NOICE!

15. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

I didnt say they screwed up... I said it was an easy fix.. Chill, Its not really a big deal. If they would let me fix it I would be happy to, on my own time, for free(yes I have the skills).

16. chrisb2e9 Trainee Engineer

Sarcasm detected. Having said that, can you imagine is car manufactures put out brand new cars with scratched and dinged up windshields? This was a pretty stupid decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

Note sure what exactly was fixed - GPS still bugged on re-entry / exit. guided reentry's are still not possible. My drones also still trigger the same way-point multiple times when patrolling between 2 points.

18. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Responses, particularly from Keen, are not par for the course in the Bug Report forum. They get read, as long as they're not just rants.

Referring to current glass:
    There appears to be a notion out there that in the future everything starts out perfect and stays that way. I blame Star Trek. Star Wars was the first sci-fi movie where worn, scratched and dented was the norm. Contrary to what many people seem to believe, Space Engineers is a game featuring miners and mining (notice I didn't say "about"). These folks are out in the middle of space on their own. They have to search far and wide for the materials they need just to survive, all the while dodging meteors, pirates, and others with ill intent. The work is dangerous, and dirty. I worked around many a drill rig in North Dakota. Never saw a rig that was all smooth and shiny. When a new one got scratched and dented it just stayed that way. As quoted from ShadowFlux, "paint don't make it work better". SE armor blocks are patchworks. They're meant to look as if they have been broken and repaired a million times. Windows on a drill rig would look perfect for about one day, unless the rig is kept in a hangar and given a wax job every Sunday. If you get a hole in your hull you work on it until it stops leaking, not until it looks good. If it's not leaking, it looks good.

The look KSH is striving towards is at odds with a lot of people who want their builds to look pretty. All the time. It ain't like that in any mine anywhere. This game reflects that. You should not expect clean and pristine vanilla blocks. That wouldn't be a true representation of the spirit of the game. Right this second you can get perfect glass in a mod. Two second download. TVSI Tech has had clear, clean glass mods for years. Worn is normal in SE.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

You bring up a great point, I like what you said. However, making brand new glass filthy and scratched by default is a little uncalled for I'd say. Especially for space. I may be making a luxury space yacht, which will never go near a mining site... Should that yacht have filthy windows? No.

Also, in vacuum, there is rarely liquid water. As such, the dirt coming off of an asteroid getting drilled will have a hard time sticking to glass and getting it dirty. Now scratched, absolutely... But still, if there's going to be a nearly opaque window texture due to dirt and scratches on glass, at least make the game able to detect if the window should even be coming into contact with flying debris or not before applying that texture.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Bumber Senior Engineer

So, of course, the logical thing to do was to scratch them up on assembly and pretend that's just how windows are supposed to look. Even the interior ones.

They should make the scratches appear when slightly damaged. Windows exposed to the elements should receive just enough damage to appear scratchy, which could then be fixed with a quick repair.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

Like a few other people here, I hope they add something similar to wheel replacement for piston and rotor heads. I've had too many instances where a mishap with a piston or rotor has caused the heads to break off, requiring me to grind the entire thing down and replace it just to repair the damage. Rotors are a bit better than pistons, with the ability to lock or unlock the heads, if you're clever. But as is, pistons leave you no other option but to start everything over again.

While I'm very grateful for the ability to replace wheels, I still wish they were a bit tougher than they actually are. I see videos of people driving their rovers over crevasses and cliffs with almost no damage, yet I still loose wheels when I go over minor bumps. Maybe there should be a tougher version of wheels? Like with armor blocks, there could be a 'light' and 'heavy' version. More weight and components, but can absorb a lot more damage with stronger suspension? I could see them being very useful for heavy combat vehicles or mining rovers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wizlawz Master Engineer

"Auto Pilot Fix"........ does this mean we could be seeing cargo ships once again and probably some more Ship A.I. encounters?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Koder Apprentice Engineer

Holy cow! I can't wait to play with this new respawn ship system! Thank you soooo much Keen. I've been looking for this for ages. Hopefully will have some time to play with this this weekend.

24. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

it doesn't have to look perfect. it just doesn't need to look so annoying. might as well make the regular armor blocks have some generic spray paint or rust holes or dents that are the same on every single one so that it has a tiled look.
    there are ways they can make it look like it's suffered abrasion without making it look like someone's been putting their shoes all over it

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

BUG!!: Remote Control does not work over Laser Antenna in Multiplayer! Please please PLEASE fix this!

• Informative Informative x 1
  26. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

That's why I made my comment about the visible mesh. If you activate the physics debug in the F12 menu, you'll be able to tell if it actually is the collision mesh, or something in the code.
    If it's the collision mesh, I agree it'll be a simple fix.
    If not, then it's something the code. It could be easy or hard, and it could be risky and cause regressions.

That's all I was saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. DeltaDestiny Apprentice Engineer

Well you might want working MP first, as i wont AMD GPUS to preform like there partner Nvidea ones in space engineers..

28. DeltaDestiny Apprentice Engineer

PLEASE!!!!!!!
    FFS
    (make it a hot fix) it really breaks the game on dedicated servers / games with a lot of friends when you actually need to restart the whole funking game..

29. Marinxar Trainee Engineer

Nice to see regular updates, but I will continue waiting for that clipping-through-myship/planet/whateversurface bug to appear under the fixed list, before I play again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

Sadly since the new dev menu wheels no longer show up with the debug boundaries. Or at least I cant get it to work. There are more debug options but I cannot find any way to scroll down the sidebar to get to them.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.