Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.127 - Improved autopilot, wheels replacement

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kham Apprentice Engineer

There's actually a new mod which was released just a couple of days ago by Digi which adds animations to the character when in the menus and also attaches a cable to other objects if you're accessing them directly. It's pretty cool from an immersion point of view.

Edit: Forgot to post the link http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=652337022

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Cmdr_Forge Apprentice Engineer

Agreed it is, but there are still many animations that were available in the past before the rigging changes that would further add to it. I had the opportunity to use and have some fun with those before they no longer worked, they would make great additions to compliment the existing ones and add a few more that could actually seem worth using. Animations such as motioning a direction to another player when moving cargo or helping guide a ship into place, among others, could really give the character further depth again if they got integrated into vanilla or revived in an update. I definitely liked what I saw with that display interaction and the cable link, and when I first saw it I thought it also could have potential later as a means of hacking into a hostile terminal to open something like doors or shut down systems. I still miss those from the old animation pack though since they helped add a little more life to the character with what those could allow you to do in the game when using them. Some were perfect for scenario use too.

3. TheNudeNerd Trainee Engineer

Ok I am trying to change the spawn location of the respawn ship for my Dedicated Server. I have a custom Respawn ship and have disabled the default respawn ships. My custom Respawn ship spawns fine when I load it into an empty world, at the correct location. But if I load it into a custom world with my custom Respawn ship, the ship always spawns in a location that is not set up in the Respawn ship's .sbc. So something somewhere is telling it to spawn in this other location. Where is that set up at? This is my custom respawn ship's sbc.

Code:
    <UsePositionForSpawn>true</UsePositionForSpawn>
              <PositionAndOrientation>
                <Position x="0" y="0" z="0" />
    			<Forward x="0.06321159" y="-0.849284" z="-0.524138331" />
    			<Up x="-0.9587444" y="-0.197525233" z="0.204433143" />
    			<Orientation>
    			  <X>-0.31473583</X>
    			  <Y>0.3726556</Y>
    			  <Z>0.706897438</Z>
    			  <W>0.512216</W>
                </Orientation>
              </PositionAndOrientation>

4. kr105 Trainee Engineer

How did you disable the default respawn ships? Whatever I do they still show up on the spawn menu and worse, sometimes it crashes the server when selecting a disabled ship.

5. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

Your XML is correct, there is a bug that makes some ships go to the nearest planet anyway. Should hopefully be fixed in the Thursday patch.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kilroy 2 Apprentice Engineer

does the autopilot now work well enough to get out of atmosphere ?

7. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

The simple answer is that in Space Engineers there's no such thing as interior glass. Without thinking about it too hard, the only standard block in the game that is intended for the interior that I can recall is the interior wall block. SE ships don't have interiors. You can create an interior space, but every vanilla blueprint in the workshop is eerily devoid of interior amenities. Mods fill in that gap, and Modders have provided pristine interior glass for years. Your CO's glass office wall can be clean and scratch-free five minutes after reading this. Search TVSI. Mod has survived every update since Jan 2015.

That mod needs more than just a touch-up. It has to be completely re-written. Imagine the work making all those animations in the first place, then imagine having to start all over again. That's why it hasn't been done. Keen is not going to do it. At least, not before release. Plus there were like 100 animations in that mod. That's way too many to stuff into the core game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheNudeNerd Trainee Engineer

Change the <Ship> tag to <Ship Enabled = "false"> for each ship you want to disable. Do not just delete them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. IPD Apprentice Engineer

Hey Keen Can you fix the glitch with slope point blocks damaging themselves?

10. Mo Engineer Trainee Engineer

The developers should work on making the game run better on most PCs because you need a 1000$ computer to run it

11. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Two questions:

1. How, exactly, do they do that?
    2. What makes you think they're not trying?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mo Engineer Trainee Engineer

I am not good at programming but Star Wars Battlefront 2 only needs 256 MB of ram, and it needs has relatively decent graphics.But however Dues Ex, and Fallout New Vegas run perfectly on my PC then Space Engineers should. I think that it not running well keeps it limited to a small group of gamers therefore making it run on most cheaper PC would open it to a larger group of people.

I have watched the updates for a couple weeks and they are all small things that don't make a big effect but I noticed that the bug fix for the oxygen decreasing performance was fixed and it made a small but noticeable difference. But however they took out good stuff like Cargo Ships that I think made the game cool, and I think that they may be working on atmosphere ones, and ones that have wheels, and this may stop them from having big reforms on the programming to make it run better I think that they should work on performance first. But I can see why the developers would want to add more features so that when they do performance tweaking and open it to more people so that it seems more complete.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mo Engineer Trainee Engineer

Answer above

14. Riph Trainee Engineer

Not fixed yet, sir.

[​IMG]
    STR:
    Hold W to walk forward.
    Release W, then immediately
    Press A to walk left

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  15. BrickVoid Trainee Engineer

Question to the Space Engineers devs: With the Lander starts, have you checked into what terrain is beneath the Lander? I tried a few Lander starts a long time ago, when this feature first came out with the Lander as an option, and one of the starts I got had me positioned high above a mountaintop with no air to maneuver the Lander within and no way to avoid a crash into the mountain peak which was sticking out pretty darned high up. I didn't file a bug report about it back then because I figured it must not happen that often, but if the Lander cannot maneuver out of the way of a mountain peak that it's about to crash into, I get a wrecked Lander and random parts I might be able to salvage from it, if I survive the crash itself.

Either terrain should not be so high up if a Lander is trying to land, or there should be more height between mountains and the Lander so that players can avoid it before it becomes a problem for them.

I haven't played Space Engineers much lately, been busy in other games, but if this is not fixed, it's not really worth my while to come back to try a Lander start anyway.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mo Engineer Trainee Engineer

I agree with you the landers have to be redesigned because sometimes it spawns in the middle of space, and when I try to slow my descent by turning on the power with inertia dampers on which pushes me up. I deal with that for a few minutes which is annoying. Even more annoying is after several minutes of frustration I crash into the planet and die. I have never experienced something that makes me so happy :-|

Please Fix :-(

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  17. lostjounin Trainee Engineer

While I completely agree with you on many of your points, and trust me when I say this, we ALL want the game to run better. But realistically, Voxel games are far more demanding on GPU/CPU cycles than most games, coupled with the fact that this game is nowhere near optimized for the general market. I had major issues with my last rig and this game. Horrible frame rates, made me want to scream. Come to find out that my weak *** AMD processor just couldn't handle it. After upgrading to a top end i7 and other various things, I get crazy frames on SE now... and on every other game as well. KEEN can only do so much at the pace they are going... there are so many things that need fixing and revamping and optimizing, but we all need to be patient. I feel updates are getting better and better each week so there is a light at the end of the tunnel for sure!!! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Mo Engineer Trainee Engineer

Keen Software House is not very keen on making the game run well on most PCs I guess because even if you watch the xbox 1 trailer for Space Engineers you can see a FPS drop on a simple asteroid map even though the xbox 1 has a 8 core 1.75 GHz CPU, 8 gb of ram, and 853 MHz shader cores, and a peak of 1.31 TFLOPS

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

Xbox one hardware is crap. This game simulates sooo much - this is the true frame killer. Even as a voxel sandbox this games optimization is pretty good.

The "high poly" count has little bearing on performance here. Think about the number of decimal places and accuracy required if a game engine that can Render geometry ranging in size from small parts like a single small block to entire planets and once more the absolutely rediculous distances between objects.

This game is not going to run well on a cheap computer. At least not with this game engine.

Simulating distance, scale, speed, physics like angular momentum or gravity and collision are the culprits.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. DMATH Trainee Engineer

I am excited, soon that cargo ship option will not be greyed out anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  21. TheTreeman Trainee Engineer

I've found a bug! While attempting to set up an AI voice system in one of my ships, I noticed that the sound blocks were able to play sound while turned off. The act of turning them off stopped the sound from playing, but it could still be played again afterwards.

In case it matters, I wasn't using vanilla sound blocks; I was using blocks from HappySushi's Slanted Sound Blocks mod.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  22. Pro3Display Apprentice Engineer

seems that you get a rare case scenario that noone encountered before
    from my experience start point above the ground is random for each new world, can be in mountains, can be on a plain, can be in the desert or tundra.
    so basically you just got really unlucky. and if something like this happens again you should probably file a report

23. kr105 Trainee Engineer

I'd like some input on this too. I tried autopilot before the update on earth and the ship just started flickering and didn't move. After the patch it did the same thing, I am doing something wrong or it is supposed to work in the space only?

24. CCampbell Trainee Engineer

I have a work around that I'll post tomorrow with screenshots and such. I am able to auto pilot during atmospheric entry and exit.

25. Burillo Junior Engineer

i've tried getting out of planet with auto pilot, but i can't get it to point in a direction i need. i have a RC block facing sky, the GPS waypoint is pretty much right above (so, right in front of) the control block. it's set to go "forward" (meaning, facing the GPS waypoint), it has two large hydro thrusters facing the earth... but for some reason it tries to fly sideways. and i can't make it face upwards no matter what orientation i try - they all seem to be facing somewhere other than the direction i want. collision avoidance and precision modes are both switched off.

26. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

I had a similar issue with an autopilot setup I was working on last month (so my knowledge may be out of date now), but I was able to get a ship to go strait up and strait down only when the bottom of the RC block was facing downward and the direction was left at the default "forward" setting. Then my ship would go up and down while staying flat.

I did have an issue where auto-pilot would reach the last way-point on it's list and would turn off, but not execute the actions I had assigned to the last step.

27. Burillo Junior Engineer

i have another RC block in that ship that's facing towards the horizon (so its bottom is facing the earth), so i'll try that one. but IMO there's something wrong with the auto pilot on planets still, even after all the bugfixes. not that i'm a big user of auto pilot anyway, but it's kinda handy now that i have a satellite and reusable rocket that delivers stuff to orbit.

28. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

When you create your respawn ship mod, unless you expressly disable the default respawn ships they still appear in the game. Your respawn.sbc doesn't replace the vanilla .sbc, it is appended to it. That's how it works for 99.9% of mod files as far as I know.

Your mod files are added to the game, they don't replace what's already there. Here's an example of a ship I added as well as a vanilla ship I disabled. Hope it helps.

Code:
      <Ship>
          <Id>
            <TypeId>RespawnShipDefinition</TypeId>
            <SubtypeId>RPI Rhino Support Vehicle-V2</SubtypeId>
          </Id>
          <DisplayName>RPI Rhino Support Vehicle-V2</DisplayName>
          <Icon>Textures\GUI\Icons\Fake.dds</Icon>
          <CooldownSeconds>900</CooldownSeconds>
          <Prefab>RPI Rhino Support Vehicle-V2</Prefab>
        </Ship>

<Ship Enabled="false">
          <Id>
            <TypeId>RespawnShipDefinition</TypeId>
            <SubtypeId>PlanetaryLander</SubtypeId>
          </Id>
          <DisplayName>DisplayName_PlanetaryLander</DisplayName>
          <Icon>Textures\GUI\Icons\Fake.dds</Icon>
          <CooldownSeconds>900</CooldownSeconds>
          <Prefab>AtmosphericLander</Prefab>
        </Ship>

29. megapro Trainee Engineer

I don't think they will "fix" this because it's a problem that doesn't occur when playing vanilla SE. If you don't use speedmods you should have enough time in the atmosphere to meneuver around a mountain. If you don't have a Speedlimit the lander accelerates to 200-300 m/s when falling and you crash if the terrain is high below your spawn. So you should just get a more powerfull lander mod alongside the speedmod to fix the issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The autopilot on planets works, but even with collision avoidance on, it still seems that it can't circumnavigate the planet. Traveling less than 20km and a starting height of 1000m, my ship kept getting lower and lower to the terrain. I aborted once I got down to 15 meters and the hills about 200 meters away were well above the horizon. For short travel on planets the autopilot seems okay, but not for long distances.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.