Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.130 - Re-enabled Cargo Ships & Server Side Ship Control

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. kr105 Trainee Engineer

It is just me or someone else is crashing the entire server after doing a jump drive in direction to the alien planet from mars?

2. Lt.DanK Trainee Engineer

We've had lot of crashing issues with a server we started a couple weeks ago, its not a dedicated server so the expectations weren't super high performance-wise. However, most of the crashes seem to happen quite randomly and there doesn't seem to be a spike in activity to predicate the crash, usually.

The one exception to that, is I can guarantee it will crash if I try to use the Space Master teleport technique to try to recover a lost mining drone of mine. It's crashed the last three times I've tried and as result I'm no longer allowed to try to retrieve it.

RIP Norbert 4/14/2016 :( You were such an angel.

The crashes/lockouts have varied from "Server not responding" to "Server Version mismatch; You are running XX_XXX_XX, Server is running 00_000_00." Which I always just assume means it crashes and the host usually confirms the next morning (Host is in ATL, I'm in LA so there is a delay in testing scenarios in which it crashes).

Also, it looks like I am unable to start ANY new custom scenario... at least the last 5 I've tried have locked Space Engineers and I've had to open Task Manger to strangle it out.

3. Kilroy 2 Apprentice Engineer

MUCH LAG SUCH RUBBER BANDING :eek:

i hoped on the server my guild ownes. it was me and one of my friends that was it. In the 30 min i was on before the server crashed i watched,

an advanced rotor tare its self loose its housing and spin off into space ( it was fine before todays patch)

6 small grid ships bouncing around an underground hangar like a poltergeist was controlling them. they didn't explode they were just desynked and bouncing around like pinball's.

I fell through the moon voxil surface.

Hydrogen and oxygen consumption was doubled and i was going through it faster than ever before

and my character would walk forward 10 steps then warp backwards 5 steeps...

but good news sim speed was 1 and fps was 6

and before you say this is the server issue, the server was fine two weeks ago before the MP updates started hitting.

come on ksh i have been playing for more than a year now. Patchmas has never been THIS bad :((

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. kingkrieg Apprentice Engineer

Apologies in advance man, Drone Vandalism is a fool and a walking shame and does not represent any thoughts people from me or my country at all towards this game/continent or belief, i sincerely hope he gets Trump'd if he hasnt been already, but then, i guess you can always find a bad apple within the basket on every case.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. DivineWrath Junior Engineer

What about attaching/detaching pistons heads? Like rotors. Wheels don't often have stuff attached to the ends of them (because stuff can get in the way of driving), but with pistons, having stuff on the end is often the entire point. Also, it makes it possible to have the piston head blocks be built by projectors, then attached later (because projectors don't work through things like pistons and rotors).

6. DivineWrath Junior Engineer

Also, another shout out for batteries. I still want to be able to recycle them again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gragos Trainee Engineer

Guys you are cool! Please add a caterpillars. I want build a tractor and tanks :))

8. rexxar Senior Engineer

You're one to talk about not understanding the issues.

Yeah, the MP situation right now sucks, but that's because what Keen is doing is entirely new territory for them; they're changing how MP works on a fundamental level. This point blank cannot happen perfectly the first time around. There will be bugs and other issues for a while until they get things working properly.

I know for a fact that Keen were testing this system on their in-house servers for several weeks before it was released. Those servers, however, are not really representative of all server situations. For instance, they have to simulate slow network and simspeed. You are an alpha tester. It's your job to take these patches and test them in real-world scenarios and report problems.

• Agree Agree x 10
  9. Jenky Trainee Engineer

You know this common response only really goes so far in game development. Sure we're here to report bugs, as in small malfunctions that are difficult to find and reproduce. But for blatant, fundamental problems (like severe rubber banding on DS, sim speed tanks, PB freezes) there's not a whole lot of valuable player feedback to be had from releasing visibly unstable builds, aside from getting the guaranteed flood of bug reports/complaints saying what should already be very obvious.

Like if it was a specific bug causing problems in server side player position calculations, then you'd have a point. But if the whole calculation isn't stable, us players who actually want to give feedback can't, aside from painfully general "Yeah, position calculations aren't being validated fast enough (or at all) by the server. Good luck with that." It just doesn't help anyone. And what happens is if you speedily keep adding in-progress changes like that, it gets harder to attribute certain bugs to certain changes.

And I get it, I'm not harping on them for making big changes to the core of their game, but I am harping on them for releasing it when it doesn't really do any good for anyone, casual players, bug testers, or devs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. rexxar Senior Engineer

As I said, they tested this system for weeks in-house. They had no idea it would be as bad as it was because they cannot replicate real-world servers in house. That's your job.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Well that or they plan to untie ship speed from SimSpeed again.

I do wonder why, though. If they take the time to test them in-house wouldn't it make sense to host a cheap server far, far away for testing purposes? It's one thing if they don't have the time but if they do they might as well be authentic. Is it a security issue?

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Sjonnieloper Trainee Engineer

I found a few bugs too,

the conveyor sorters are broken, they pull back stuff from containers, push it back in,pull it out..etc.. the system is setup that stuff cannot loop around so the sorter must be pulling stuff back in opposite direction of the pointing arrow.

Also if i face a certain direction "north" my caracter starts moving to the left or right, east , south and west it stands perfectly still, but when i face north aggain, moving starts aggain..

I tried in DS & SP both have the same issue

Single player with friends invited through steam, is still very playable, DS to unstable for me..
    But the conveyor sorters broke all the systems, so..

Not fun to play

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Jenky Trainee Engineer

I guess I wasn't clear, I wasn't even talking specifically about dedicated servers, these problems are on any servers. The rubber banding is a core MP issue where the server itself is not efficiently checking incoming client side positions, or isn't checking at all which is what it kind of looks like by the frequency of it. It's especially bad when in gravity with no jetpack. You may be right about dedicated servers, but this is a problem on just regular servers.

EDIT: By the way, yes you can replicate servers in-house. You set up a server, in your house. It's really that simple, and not too much to ask of a game studio. In fact that's probably already what you're talking about when you say in-house testing.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  14. Spavvy Apprentice Engineer

no light fix
    no door fix

15. joebopie Apprentice Engineer

*eye roll* o look another person jumping in without understanding the topic..... if everytime a new system isnt perfect you think "they should probably rethink the fixes" they would never get anywhere its called DEVELOPEMENT ever heard of that??? no?
    the problem isn't bugs its the lack of a development branch so its not FORCED upon us all even though its not ready yet.

k

16. scouterdude Trainee Engineer

It seems I've seen such instructions before. Have you checked in the guides?

17. Meteo Trainee Engineer

Well the last weekend gave another chance to the SE, after being about 4 months letting it repaired the damage to the game. Now I'm back thinking it would be better on dedicated servers and to my surprise this week after playing I see this even much worse than before. But even after the upgrade yesterday.

Abri my dedicated server, an average of 25 people playing the weekend, and the game could not stand more than 4-5 people, for the connection of a 6 speed sim player started down. It is clear that the problems have moved Sim sim Speed to speed server, this is not a solution is insulting.

Over these two years in the game I've seen ever going to get worse and worse, the game instead of ever having fewer bugs the increases with each update, and not worth me that in the SP works well because this type of game is to play it on DS ... and if these dedicated servers can only play alone what good ?.

Blueprints projectors do not work on DS, or the player or with soldering station or ship.
    The conveyor system had never been so bad, organizers blocks do not work, the conveyor system does not send the components and minerals containers ... is unplayable as usual ... the years pass and the answer "this state alpha "is no longer valid to give excuses. Keen espabila and manages multiplayer code and generally the game scoring temporary arrangements does nothing but kill your game. Escusarte stop and fix things once, and if your staff is not able to resolve the miss on the street and you hire more competent people, it is clear that those who trabajais not know that there no longer do ... every week , every month, every year the game will be worse.

Or solves or you abandon ... but stop giving false excuses.

Google translator

I'd rather see die SE and let him rest in peace, to return from time to time with hope to see progress and see which is the opposite and each time getting worse.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bueno el fin de semana pasado le di otra oportunidad al SE, despues de estar unos 4 meses dejando que arreglasen los desperfectos del juego. Ahora he vuelto pensando que estaria mejor en servidores dedicados y para mi sorpresa tras esta semana jugando veo que esta aun MUCHO PEOR QUE ANTES. Mas aun despues de la actualizacion de ayer.

Abri mi servidor dedicado, una media de 25 personas jugando el fin de semana, y el juego no soportaba mas de 4-5 personas, pues al conectarse un 6 jugador la sim speed comenzaba a bajar. Esta claro que han trasladado los problemas de Sim Speed a server sim speed, esto no es una solucion es insultarnos.

A lo largo de estos 2 años en el juego he visto como cada vez va a peor y peor, el juego en vez de cada vez tener menos bugs los aumenta con cada actualizacion, y no me vale con que en el SP funcione bien, pues este tipo de juego es para jugarlo en DS... y si en dichos servidores dedicados solo puedes jugar solo ¿de que sirve?.

Los proyectores de blueprints no funcionan en DS, ni con el player ni con soldador de estacion o nave.
    El sistema de transportadores nunca habia ido tan mal, los bloques organizadores no funcionan, el sistema de transportadores no envia los componentes y minerales a los contenedores... es injugable como de costumbre... pasan los años y la respuesta "esta en estado alpha" ya no es valido para dar escusas. Keen espabila y arregla el codigo multijugador y en general al juego, meter arreglos temporales no hace mas que matar a tu juego. Deja de escusarte y arregla de una vez las cosas, y si tu personal no esta capacitado para resolverlo los echas a la calle y contratas a gente mas competente, pues esta claro que quienes trabajais ahi ya no sabeis que hacer... cada semana, cada mes, cada año el juego va a peor.

O lo arreglais o lo abandonais... pero dejar de dar falsas escusas.

Prefiero ver morir el SE y dejarlo descansar en paz, que regresar cada cierto tiempo con esperanza de verlo avanzar y comprobar que es lo contrario y cada vez va a peor.

google traductor

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Server side ship control made the game unplayable in DS to me. When I try to walk in my ship it wobbles, even it is not moving. Connectors and landing gears are too buggy. I tried to connect my small mining ship to the station even with connector strenght disabled, it suddenly bounced out of station. Thirdly, using jump drive while other small ship docked with landing gear makes entire ship wobbling too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Hemp Plan[e]t Apprentice Engineer

Seems like u have no clue how much time gamedeveloping can take. And as u know they are a small team so they definetly need us to test things. Yes Servers is just "stable" with <6 People, but yeh they roll over their netcode it seems like. And nobody say u must buy 30 Slots.

Keep in mind - u are a tester - u can be happy if all works fine, but u are still a tester until the game gets released :p

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Hemp Plan[e]t Apprentice Engineer

try to turn off thrusters and gyro when docking, also leave the cockpit asap then the bouncing thing will be gone - maybe hotfix will fix something useful <3

21. UrbanLegend Apprentice Engineer

Actually, I was getting that stuttering in SP on the last patch and it seems fine now for me.

22. scouterdude Trainee Engineer

Hmm. 5 pages of the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    The good:
    Another patch, trying to make a better product. We all want that, obviously. Keep on keeping on, Keen.
    Kudos to those giving kudos.
    The bad:
    Apparently many DSs still suffering, but some say they're better. Makes we wonder if there's some core difference.
    So many haters. Please folks - chill a bit, and try to be positive. If it's really that bad for you, move on. Not for our sake, but yours. There really is life outside of SE. Find some joy.
    The ugly:
    What I'll have after trying to slap some wheels on a new miner ship that won't fly for some reason, for at least a roving ore detector. (early game, no parts but the lander.) Time to do some engineering.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Hemp Plan[e]t Apprentice Engineer

i've so many more additional problems on DS since yesterday....it's so much i can't remember so much ^^

Very unsrs bugs have invaded DS :((

24. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

You know nothing, Jon sn... wd56. :stare:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Funny Funny x 4
  25. Thnikkalemur Apprentice Engineer

I love this. It's like my fussy British mother had a hand in this update.

There now, dear, doesn't that look nice?
    (Rounded block placed upon lace doily.)

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. Kittani Trainee Engineer

So... they still can't fix the crappy physics engine so instead they just slow ships down so the client-server data doesn;t go out of sync.

Good news, everyone! We now have a maxiumum multiplayer speed of 1m/s

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Thnikkalemur Apprentice Engineer

Hardcore mode: You are a snail.... good luck I guess?

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

keeping both "worlds" so to speak in alignment with each other is the first step. once they are able to be sure what they see is what is happening remotely,they can begin working on untangling the other issues and improving the speed

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Kham Apprentice Engineer

You know, the funny thing is that I'd gotten used to having my max speed reduced when the server was busy and had lots going on. But with all the rubber banding, stuttery movement, unreliable gyros, and warp speeding into walls as they desync... I simply can't play any more. I'm really not sure what they were trying to fix, but before they made these changes my MP game had been playing better than ever so from my perspective they took a perfectly stable server and turned it into a massive black hole.

30. Echillion Senior Engineer

- Conveyor sorters aren't working at all having to manually pull ore from cargo boxes to connectors and from collectors to cargo boxes!
    - Sand textures in drilled areas on map
    - Ships rubberbanding and not being able to get up to speed (keeps dropping from 30+mps to 14mps for example)
    - When mining underground the altimeter horizon bar is useless its says I'm not level when by my eyeball I am and when I fly by it I end up either on my side or upside down and having to copy and paste ship back on planet surface and delete original!
    - When cutting sprue free from projected ship the landing gear auto lock either to planet or base their built on and rips base out of the ground and its like 10-100 jumpdrives exploding! and chaos ensues!
    - Landing gear when unlocked from planet surface throw the ship up in the air and its as if gravity has no effect on ship and it results in having to delete and copy and paste in a new one!
    - Not being able to use "P" to un/lock connectors as it stuffs landing gears up!
    - Glass surfaces are still scratched up and hideous!
    - Don't jump out of a moving ship as you'll go on a psychedelic mystery trip with rubberbanding,phasing through planet and general weirdness and only way to cure is to relog back on to server!
    - Other players logging in to or out of DS's either causing other players damage to health,rubberbanding of players/ships,ships dropping out of sky or just outright killing them!

Will repost this in bug reports as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.