Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.131 - Improved HUD Markers & Voxel Optimizations

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

I'm largely not effected by this update, but many of my friends are having issues with "Disk Read Errors" and I've caught wind of the same on the Steam Forums from others. I may not be -directly- effected by this screw-up on Keen's part but the fact that it's happening to more than 1 or 2 people...is costing me hours of playtime with my friends. Luckily it seems that the errors resolve themselves after a cache verify but many files are misverified when they do.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

I really liked this week's update. Even to the point to start a new creative game and work a little on a new mining ship. :)
    I have to say it was a much better experience. Even though I was "just gonna start the game and try it out on the laptop for a few minutes" I got carried away and forgot to fire up the gaming rig. It was running smooth, albeit a bit slower, but still smooth and comfortable. There was no jittering and sudden freezes for second like before. I am pretty happy with the game now.

A few observations (might not be from this update only):

1. Loved the GUI clean-up but I have to say it is a bit hard on the eyes. The new color of the text and icon is very faint and even when I am looking straight at the antenna I am having trouble reading it. And when I am looking somewhere else it's difficult to see where the points are. Even more difficult to distinguish what is the icon. I hope when it's done it will be easy to just glance at the markers and just know "OK here's some ore right below me, a few neutral antennas to the left, my (or friendly) antennas in front of me and some hostiles to the right..."

Just a thought about Ores - can you make it so that when you are, lets say 100m from an ore deposit it will force-pop-up the text so you don't have to look at each one individually to check what's around you? I did just learn that if you press Alt all markers show their texts, but still I think ores are a special marker and need to be handled a bit differently.

2. My character wobbles horribly. It is just bearable when you are standing/hovering still. But when you are building something and you are tapping left and right for small movements to get a block in a specific spot you feel like you are getting seasick. Don't know if it's a bug or it's supposed to be a feature but it's very annoying. And I always turn "headbob" off.

3. Small ships seem a lot tougher. I like it. :) Filled one with ore and started removing thrusters (my check for how many I actually need) and it dropped from about 60m high. After a quick inspection I picked it up again (Ctrl+X - Ctrl+V :)) and placed it as straight as I could with the intention to quickly place some thrusters so it doesn't fall again. Sure enough it wasn't straight enough and drifted to the side and into the ground again. Still no damage! Granted it was slow but still I feel the last time I played a fall like that and I would be reloading and cursing the 5 minute loading time (which by the way used to be faster even on the laptop).

4. Thrusters seem to have more power! I love it! :pbjt:
    The smaller miner I am using (for which I was building a replacement) has 17 or 18 small atmo thrusters just for downward thrust. And with them it was moving just above 200 000kg total mass of ship plus cargo. With the new one I was aiming for about 500 000kg total mass. I figured I would start with 30 thrusters downward and add the mass gradually. It took above 1 milion kg! For my goal I ended up with 20 thrusters with a bit of overhead just to be sure. I just hope it's all thrusters and not just the small atmos.
    I did have some minor lighting issues but as I see they have been discussed already so I won't go into detail. They weren't too annoying and I assume they are being worked on so I'll just wait for them to be fixed.
    Also I didn't really notice any changes to voxel changes (mining) but I guess they are more noticeable in multiplayer.

I have a question about the teaser of the new explosion effects. Was the other ship just rigged with explosives for the video or can we expect some secondary explosions from damaged blocks? Because I think that would be just awesome if for example a reactor could blow up when severely damaged.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

I totally agree with this statement, even if the rest of the post makes very little sense to me initially.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. MeatInSpace Trainee Engineer

You need to add filters to the HUD so you can hide different types of markers without affecting their functionality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

I *think* they know that much, what they're having difficulty with Is the implementation of the data stream, as some of you may know and many may not, Antenna's relay the "detection" information across their networks - so in reality what you see on the HUD at 100km is likely only there to begin with because it's going through the antenna network. To implement filters of the nature of "Hiding Specific Types" they need to first isolate the information on the HUD for detection filtering (which I feel this may be a first pass at) and then they can worry about the "Specifics" of what to hide and when.

6. DaveAllen10 Trainee Engineer

Upvote Upvote Upvote. We need to be able to sort GPS markers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BANDIT Apprentice Engineer

DAT TEASER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW question:
    did you hide in that space station or big ship some kind of extra explosives? or will one huge impact on specific parts cause a chain reaction? <--would be awesome!!!:D

i mean right now there only would be little damage and done if you hit something like there. but that...total destruction!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. -=Ripps=- Trainee Engineer

love that the crosshair goes away with tab and the rest of the HUD now :)
    screenshots made easy :D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DeltaDestiny Apprentice Engineer

Yo
    you're "Digging" it...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

Mining now looks a bit bether. =)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. retep998 Trainee Engineer

I seriously have to say, the spotlights are finally reasonable. Light emanates from the spotlight itself and not some arbitrary point in front of it, and it is a proper cone of light. Plus the max radius of 160m is usable. The only bug I've noticed is that the falloff slider seems to do absolutely nothing for spotlights. Now if only you could get interior lights working equally well (although funnily enough falloff does work for interior lights as broken as they are right now).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I was a little worried about this at first too but then I realised if you hold down Alt it shows the names above them even if you're not looking at them which makes it a little easier to see the ores. May not be the 'best' solution for everybody but it does avoid having to spin around lots to try and look at them all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Altaree Trainee Engineer

With the 1.131 update did anyone notice that drilling in different directions on a planet mines different amounts? I have a moon base. I have a mining small ship with two earthbreakers. I go down into my mine shaft and mine to the north, I get 1-2k per mining tic with minimal voxel change. If I mine to the south I get 8-12k per mining tic and see lots of voxel change. Both times I have moved to as close to the rock face as I can before I start mining.
    Thanks!

P.S. This is a single player world.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. eviltek2099 Apprentice Engineer

Hold Alt to show Tag text of all tags in range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

Update 007
    - fixed crash in physics
    - fixed crash in conveyor system
    - fixed crash with pistons
    - fixed crash with wheels
    - fixed crash with spotlights
    - fixed merged or out-of-screen gps signals are hard to find
    - fixed spherical gravity generator eats too much power
    - fixed exploit in MOD API
    - fixed assemblers don't start from battery power
    - fixed crash with IsAdmin and IsPromoted (scripting)
    - fixed dots of different textures on planets

• Like Like x 10
  16. Vicizlat Apprentice Engineer

Cool, I'll check later what you did and is it better.

I have been waiting for this for some time now... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

This is just the missing patchnote from yesterday saying that Look Around unfolds all signals.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Beyogi Trainee Engineer

I'm not quite sure what to think about the new feature. On one hand it really helps to keep the clutter out of your screen. On the other hand it makes identifying ores a chore. Where you'd just fly around and see labels pop up previously you now need to point the crosshair at the identified ore location.

I kinda see how it can be useful if you have several ore detectors and a good radio network, but it's really annoying if you want to survey an asteroid, find a new mining spot, point your crosshair at it and realise you've just found another iron spot.

It would be really great if locations (or at least minerals) in a radius of maybe 200 meters around the character would be displayed with their full name all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

Try holding down Alt (the look around key)

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Amberyl Trainee Engineer

I am running a 32" screen and the HUD writing is way too small for my screen. Can you adjust them or make an option to enlarge the font if you need to. Otherwise all of the new HUD stuff is great...just the font size is too small.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

that for me is a cause to celebrate. granted not too much since it probably should have always been that way but still, not having screenshots muddled is great

• Like Like x 1
  22. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

My crosshair has always went away when i press tab...Didn't everyone elses too?

23. Shabazza Junior Engineer

Why were the last two updates of SE not shown on the front page?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  24. Esmea Trainee Engineer

Space Engineers II: The Wrath of Klang

Mining has become an ever increasingly hazardous occupation.

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

1, love the new markers 2, maybe we could google the crosshairs on the hud 3, my moon still disappears and renders funny when approached... but it does look Massively better now, so thanks and keep at the good work.

and a small note on "fixed dots of different textures on planets", you can still see them sometimes, especially from orbit but this is a huge improvement

26. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

mine definitely didn't,lol.

27. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

fixed exploit in MOD API

no no no no, freaking hackers wont kill this game.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Caatalyst Apprentice Engineer

Those new explosion effects blew me away

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. Φ Hero Φ Trainee Engineer

Months....its been months...since I have been here...months since I played the game...I am curious to know, is anyone crashing when mining, in anyway? If not...I might just fire this bad boy back up!

30. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Only one reliable way to find out.
    [insert 'Just Do It' Shia LeBouf meme here]

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.