Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.140 STABLE, Update 01.144 - Inverse Kinematics

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Amerikanovich Apprentice Engineer

Really, I waited a month for the next stable branch to come out so I could finally play again on my dedicated server with the new features, and now it's just bugfixes....probably not even the ones that actually ruined the gameplay experience (oxygen system freezing DS solved yet?)

Why not just switch the branches and have Dev be the default and Stable the opt in? I'm getting the feeling the majority of players are used to and excited about weekly updates....

2. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I think we could start a whole thread on "what is your waiting-for-SE game of choice?". I'm waiting with Kerbal Space Program and The Witcher 3. Those two make waiting for Thursday very easy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Carlosmaid Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Krougal Senior Engineer

I agree with your disagreement. ;)
    The problem here is the "stable" branch isn't all that stable to begin with, so there was nothing to gain.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, it isn't a bad idea, it was poorly implemented, mostly because it is very premature.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

This. And if the unstable code ends up in stable every month without any proper testing, they might as well just stick to 1 branch like before.

Without thoroughly testing stable before actually releasing it, they're just making more work for themselves having to manage 2 branches with identical outcomes...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bleh Trainee Engineer

There's a lot of debate about the stable vs dev branches. as a player who doenst like programming or publishing things and just plays by them selves, i quite like the longer cycle between new bugs, you learn to play around the bugs and any major game breakers get a follow up patch the day after patch day so for me at least it works.

I understand the dev/stable issue for mod dev's, but wouldn't it be easiest just to follow a similar release cycle., you make mod work with dev, then you keep it going, when that dev branch of games becomes stable you mark the mod stable and dont touch it, and continue further development down the dev branch? I'm not trying to be combative i am honestly asking would this not work? and if not what would need to be changed on keens dev/stable split to make that possible/easy for modders?

back to the main topic: for me at least, this update seems to have introduced no new strange behaviors and i haven't gotten angry at my computer because of SE in the last 24H so from my pov good patch

• Like Like x 2
  7. Harrekin Master Engineer

Stable seems pretty...stable.

Good work.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AtomicJunkie Trainee Engineer

Everytime I go out a cockpit I'm in 3rd person view. Does anyone else has this problem?
    The welding and grinding distance feels wrong. It's hard to target an object. It was better before the patch.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

I think one of the larger pains of this duel Stable vs Dev branch is the recent refactoring of MODAPI interfaces. This forces some of the mod developers to consider maintaining two mods. (For maintainers of SESE, the differences add even more complexity.) One of the biggest hopes for the stable update was the merging of the MODAPI changes into the stable branch. With that merge, the two branches would differ, but nothing severely "breaking" between the two. I hope this resolves soon enough as this particular type of difference will only get more complex to merge as time goes by.

10. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ame Trainee Engineer

I'm not sure if people realise this, but the g-menu/build system changes and the mod API updates that were not incorporated in this "stable" update is evidence that the branch system is working as intended. Once both of those changes were put into the dev branch, I read many posts about how the "improved" building system wasn't ready and annoying to work with. I also read complaints about mod functions not working or not doing what they should be doing (I don't speak C, so I'm only going by what I've read on this one).

Therefore, those two features were not ready for public consumption if the forums are to be believed. With the old system, we would've been stuck with "improvements" while the devs continue working on it with no guarantee that it would be fixed next week. With the branch system, those features that could affect the game for the worse can be held back from the default branch in an effort to preserve the playability of the game and the sanity (or what's left of it ;) ) of the players.

Like many others, I had doubts about the branch system, but it is already showing its worth. I approve.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

What can I say but Steam sales were good to me this year. I got the ones I wanted for pennies =D

13. Craftman Trainee Engineer

yeah slight problem can't load the world i was playing on before todays patch

14. Craftman Trainee Engineer

it claims it was made in a newer version of the game

15. Craftman Trainee Engineer

the game also says that it was updated on 07/07/2016

16. Craftman Trainee Engineer

can you guys re-release that last patch so that the god damned timestamp is correct

17. MagicalFungi Trainee Engineer

Isn't it funny how the community's influence has continually harmed the game rather than improve it?

People bitched and complained for planets, then bitched and complained when planets made the game run worse.

People bitched and groaned for a new multiplayer code, and got one slightly better, but not perfect.... Burn them at the stake!!!!

Now here we are again, people bitched and moaned to get a stable and dev branch only to crucify it after what, 2 weeks?

I don't know why people are bitching so much honestly, I think it comes down to a misunderstanding of what the dev branch was supposed to be... I hope they clarify that the features shown in the dev branch are not final and are still being DEVELOPED, I'm sure they thought it was obvious.... given it is in the damn name.

Why are modders bitching about having 2 versions. You mod for the stable, not the dev... as the dev branch isn't final and the code you deal with is changing. By the time it comes to stable you may find you've just wasted a lot of time on a feature that ended up being scratched or changed.

It would only be your fault because you don't understand the system, not theirs for doing exactly what we asked of them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Craftman Trainee Engineer

no what i mean is that todays mini patch claims to have been released last week

19. Craftman Trainee Engineer

no what i mean is that todays mini patch claims to have been released last week

20. Harrekin Master Engineer

Such cry cry cry.

Game is coming along nicely, good work Keen.

I doubted the wisdom of the branches but stable is pretty stable.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Apsyc Apprentice Engineer

Why is this hidden among the rabble where no one will see it?
    --- Automerge ---
    Good points, especially about the modding. Dev should be touched only by players who want to do some advanced bug-finding and provide some early feedback on new mechanics and systems. Dev should also be run vanilla to more easily find the aforementioned issue. Stable, on the other hand, should be for gameplay, fine tuning, and mods. I think I'm going to look at it this way from now on.

22. Nacon Junior Engineer

I think Keen is losing player's attention because most of them have AMD hardwares, which has not been addressed for a very long time. :/
    There might be other factors in the play, but still... the issues with AMD and memories leak is dramatic enough to stop playing after 20 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Apsyc Apprentice Engineer

As much as I want to say "It's their own fault for buying AMD," I know that's unrealistic and unfair ;P
    They do need to put some focus into getting the game stable for the majority so that they can get the feedback and reports they need. The fixes this week are nice, but system performance is still low, making it hard for us as pre-release players to do our jobs as testers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Anach Trainee Engineer

I partially agree to your agreeing with my disagreement. Possibly too early, rather than too late to split the branches. Although, this isn't the first alpha I've been part of that has an unstable "stable" branch, and a even less stable dev, just normally, most people don't bother with the dev, unless they want to participate in development. We're just used to weekly updates and desperate for any fixes.

Exactly what a Dev branch is for, and this is what surprises me when I see mods only for the dev branch. 95% of us should be using Stable, but we aren't wanting to transition, because we miss our weekly updates and feel we're missing out on cool new features. As stated in the previous quote, one problem is stable is still quite broken, and that just furthers everyone wanting to stay on dev. I think a bit of time needs to pass, then modders will realise that dev is too unstable, go back to stable, and players will follow.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Leaping Tortoise Apprentice Engineer

I have this too. And fully zoomed out.

Well, I should say 'had.' Game worked fine yesterday after the update but woke up this morning and all my saves say 'this was saved in a newer version of the game.' I'm on the dev branch and that hasn't changed. Any ideas on how to fix this?

26. Visentinel Junior Engineer

HAHAHA the version number rollback.

/me sits back with popcorn

27. Leaping Tortoise Apprentice Engineer

Turns out opening the save file in SE Toolbox and clicking 'repair' fixes the problem.

Edit: typos

28. DasOverlord Trainee Engineer

Yes, yes, and yes. I hope they change all this stuff back ASAP. That forced 3rd person is annoying as hell, not to mention how many times I grind the wrong thing because you have to aim above the target block. WTF Keen!

Also had the save game version problem this morning. Rollback in the middle of the night? What is this WALMART? Edited the version in the save game manually to get around it. WTF Keen!

29. Grahag Trainee Engineer

It's the only game i regularly play out of about half a dozen that somewhat regularly crash my video drivers. if I don't alt-F4 when I get the message that my driver has stopped responding within about 5 seconds, my system hard locks and I have to reboot.

I still love this game though and I still play on the Dev branch knowing it'll do this. Keep up the good work guys!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  30. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

Stable was unplayable today. Moving a large grid with 3 small grids connected to it was a suicide misison.
    Either the ship doesn't accelerate past 30m/s or it starts colliding with itself and thrown at 200m/s
    Approaching a nearby ship is a suicide also.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.