Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.148 DEV - Bug Fixes and Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WarWyvern Trainee Engineer

Agreed. I'm just calling for tighter editing, that's all. Although I suppose that might invalidate the dev diary format? Perhaps I'm an outlier here.

2. RobberFly Trainee Engineer

I like the scratches. It is a much for effective method of combatting the uncanny, unfinished look of pristine textures than spending exponentially more time adding enough intricate detail to solve the same problem.

Having higher quality, realistic textures will be a huge boon for the game. Delaying their implementation by trying to design a system of wear over time or adding unnecessary detail in lieu of wear could be a fatal mistake for this game, especially since players and potential players are now expecting a visual overhaul. Sure, you could make them look even better, and I would like a system of wear over time more. However, I think prioritization is key here, and that feature falls into a bottomless bucket of features that will not objectively steer the game toward success. Having a game that does not look visually like a prototype is necessary for success though, even if some people are not wholly satisfied with the aesthetic.

You're doing great Keen. Can't wait to see more.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Now the game can break even prettier... yeahhhhh....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I like the look, scratches and all. I'd love a changing-texture-over-time thing, but I've never even heard of a game doing that, and there are many things higher on my SE list than that.

Three retextured blocks a week is going to take a LONG time before we see them all..... cry.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Nacon Junior Engineer

Not just your CPU... any AMD cpu. There is a memory leak and the devs hasn't been able to fixed it for little over 9 months now. I think they just don't have any AMD cpu in their office. Which is why this forum has gotten quiet this year.

6. HeikoH1255 Trainee Engineer

Wow what a useless Update... New Content and no performance changes....

10 Fixes in ? Are you Kidding us ?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

The patchlog is notoriously incomplete, i highly doubt those 10 fixes are all that's in.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. fiddles Trainee Engineer

When will inventory be fixed? This game has the worst inventory system ive ever seen in a game; spend 4 hours yesterday manually spoonfeeding assemblers because they wouldnt pull their own items properly :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

VERY sexy new models and textures, Natiq!

10. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

I've probably missed something (a lot) since I'm not reading the forums as much as I used to, but, why did that happen? Was it broken or something?

I do agree on the scratched glass and the door.

11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I forgot who it was but @Xocliw had one dev on his stream before his vacation. He asked why it was removed. Dev did not know. (I think it was Dusan? Let's say it was Dusan.) IF i had to guess (and i have to guess) i'd say it has something to do with the new block placing system not allowing the placing of stationary grids right now. (Easy fix, btw; give the R-button a modifier like Shift-R to switch between placing a ship and a station. Boom, problem solved.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Ame Trainee Engineer

Personally, I think the new block textures that were shown off this week look bad freaking @$$! IMO, the scratches/damaged paint gives them character and they would look a lot more boring without them. As for scratches on the door and sorter blocks, either they were too small for me to notice or I didn't look close enough to my mobile screen to see them. Either way, as long as the scratches are kept to reasonable levels, I'm ok with them.

The exception to the above is glass/windows. I should hope the reason for this is obvious, but just in case: you need to be able to see through glass, that is it's purpose. If the glass is scratched, oiled, and dirty, it's kinda hard to see through; especially when taken to the extreeme of the texture currently in the game. Let's face it, we might as well have replaced the texture with frosted glass. Therefore, I maintain that the glass be de-scratched (a few small ones here and there are fine with me, but like I said, the status quo is too much) and wiped down with some industrial strength Windex ASAP. Take inspiration from the new heavy armor model; from a distance, you would hardly be able to tell there is paint missing. I would like the same thing for glass; you could find scratches and dirt if you look hard enough (let's face it, nothing is perfect), but a casual glance to the stars on the other side should reveal nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You stop making sense. You stop right this instant! I'm going to throw you a Disagree if you keep doing it. That's not how we do it 'round here.

14. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I collect and use them for christmas decoration; @BlackUmbrellas has already filled half of one tree, i don't mind if you do the rest. It's just red pixels.

Edit: someone's busy tonight.

i don't even celebrate christmas...

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I don't have time to photoshop a red X on this one.

16. gergelypuskaval Trainee Engineer

Really awesome work, Natiq!

You didn't noticed that these blocks were also completely remodelled*?!

*Okay, there's not much you can remodel on an armor block, but heck, that bumpmap makes it feel like a 3D surface.

17. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Oh don't worry. It's a JJ-Trek Constitution; my brain overlays a red X by itself in an act of self defense.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Ultimately, it comes down to whats worth focusing on.

A complex texture-swapping/painting mechanic for the people driven to frustration by the game's "used future" aesthetic is a lot of work and effot an system resources (have fun with all those extra textures...) for a fairly minor issue that comes down to personal taste.

Space Engineers has a gritty, worn, industrial aesthetic. I'm sure people who dislike it will be able to download modded texture packs before too long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. LocInt Apprentice Engineer

Goodbye fps

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Replic TuaniOne Apprentice Engineer

Oh, this looks amazing, I like the look update of that, glad to hear we will see more of that soon, I also hope those keypads will actually work by then (with those numbers so you can maybe even lock it with a pin?)

I also hope you guys are working on something like a multiblock thing, merging blocks together so you can make the interior and exterior a little more compact later on (Like ME Combine blocks or something?)
    I've seen a few modders do it with the cockpits (lcd's and lights in there) and that was really awesome for making a more compact ship with multifunction.

Keep up the good work!

21. Polenicus Apprentice Engineer

Door. Door want. Give door. Give door nao.

I really want to see this sort of love given to the pilot control chairs next. THERE'S a block that is found on ALL large ship builds, in an extremely visible, centralized location, that is really showing its age. Or maybe completely redesign it? I mean, you could take the Kolt Command Console concept and run with it, give us a set of LCD panels, button consoles and control chairs that all blend and fit together in a similar way. And still keep and update the classic control chairs as well, like you did with the doors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

Just looked at the door model again... totally looks like the blue strips on the inside could be for automatic doors :stare:

23. Pegaxsus Trainee Engineer

amazing artwork!!

24. Speshal_Snowman Apprentice Engineer

I like how light reveals some of the imperfections, great work!

25. Anach Trainee Engineer

I agree with you, I like the scratched and worn look. I imagine wearing bulky suits around the place, carrying equipment and parts back and forth, and bumping into walls and doors etc. It's difficult enough keeping my doors and walls in the house from getting scratched. It would be super boring if everything looked brand-new like it had just been placed there by someone wearing felt gloves and never had a days use.

The people complaining about the scratches need to understand that there are people that prefer scratches, and even scratched glass. For those that do, it's lucky Keen decided to go this direction.

On another note - when they do the conveyor blocks, I really hope it meets the edges of the armour, so they actually look airtight like they're supposed to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

HHHNNNNNNNNGGG

I can't wait for those new graphics!!!!
    Time for this game to stop looking like it was released in 1998. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Martinowitsch Trainee Engineer

Here are some suggestions for your designer Natiq:
    • When you programm new models for all blocks which are now existing in the vanilla game, please add also new variants for these blocks, like the door with an window to look throug for indoors or add additional armorblock variants like an half high block or some more ramp variants or an round column.
    • There should also be some more variants of lamps and spotlights. With the existing variants you can do only so much in designing your ships and bases.
    • Good would also be some new blocks to install in your design like some furniture, new seats and some beds.
    • This old Flight and Controllseats are very bad designed, some new Models which would look more like they would be suitable for high acceleration or centrifugal forces would be very welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, it should come to no surprise to anyone that I like the way textures are headed. All my ships are working ships (and that goes for vehicles and MHE as well). The wear is positively minimal. I watched the video in HD and if there were any dents they must have been pinpricks. The scratches were fine scratches, not gouges. I don't expect even a brand new plate would have a mirror-polished finish. The missing paint from the exposed edges could easily be the result of hitting fine particles while flying through space at high speeds and or the results of flying through atmospheres also at high speed. It's really only noticeable up close.

I will grant that if you are building some sort of hotel ship you might want it to be pristine, but if it's a military or industrial-commercial craft (relax, Mr Eisenhower) this sort of wear shows up almost immediately. The concept of evolving wear textures sounds great but it means you will be running around restoring blocks to perfect even if your ship never suffers any real damage. I think people that want perfect should put forth the effort to have it and download a mod or two. Standard (vanilla) blocks must strike a balance, and this "not-quite-brand-new" look seems to be a good compromise. I use a lot of block mods in my builds, but I'm finding myself using standard blocks more and more. In fact most of the mods I use are blocks that just don't exist in the vanilla game.

As for the glass, it occurs to me that we have see a lot of new textures in videos that have not shown up in the game yet. I suspect it will probably be a single once-and-for-all event where the glass and everything else gets a facelift. In the meantime I will reiterate that I use glass extensively and it has not impaired my ability to operate any ship of vehicle in any way in the slightest. I've also been watching new players on Twitch and the glass never comes up unless someone in chat starts something. I'm not trying to start a conversation about the glass because we all know in our hearts (and it's been stated) that the glass texture will change and it will be less scratched or possibly even scratch-free (not likely).

I will admit that I use a scratch-free glass mod for my interiors because even my crew isn't that clumsy ;)
    --- Automerge ---
    You know he's just doing textures, right?

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. fullforward Trainee Engineer

Whats the last time anything significant was updated regarding performance? If the next stable update does not make network gaming or performance better I ... start crying. Has the netcode developer left KSH? IF not please give at least a roadmap so we know when something is done about the issues that really matter. These improvements are insignificant sorry to say.

30. WarWyvern Trainee Engineer

Sure. And I did state that I appreciate that we are getting a graphical update, even if the aesthetic isn't necessarily to my taste. At this point, anything is better than the placeholder models and textures we've had for... going on three years now?

As for painting the individual sides of blocks: that's just a quality-of-life feature that I'd like to see. Even if only to help distinguish the interior from the exterior on smaller ships. Of course, as a new technical feature, it would require more than just the art team to implement and would thus divert precious resources from bug squashing, which seems to be what the majority of us want prioritized.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.