Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.148 DEV - Bug Fixes and Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Dirty Windows: (devs please read)
    Of course, the following is only my opinion and I only speak for myself. Also, simply put, Great game idea, great work, and good potential. Keep it up!
    A dirty windshield is unacceptable in any vehicle where property and life are dependent upon visual clarity. Would you agree? Lets talk about real life automobiles. If I have scratches on the body of the car, sure, it will bother me, but if I have to pay to fix them I will think Long and Hard about it and probably NOT fix it. Now, my windshield?? Whole other story. I will get scratches filled and keep the window clean of dirt and grime because my life, my passengers lives, and those on the road with me depend on my ability to see. And then, I add the enjoyably factor of driving. Dirty Window = less enjoyable. Simple.
    In SE we have fast moving space ships (well, at least in single player), asteroids, alien critters, and mega amounts of valuable cargo (passengers as well, potentially). Yeah, as a captain of my ship I will make absolute sure I can see, especially since we have no reliable method of navigation other than autopilot. So yes, IF my cockpit view is obscured I am going to attempt to resolve even IF you say that it is cost prohibitive, time consuming.. etc to fix. Bottom line, I would have Bob out there with a glass filler medium, a grinder, and a buffer to clean me a little spot, at least, until I can afford a replacement. In this case, I cannot clean, or even replace. So, I end up doing one of two things... 1. Use the external 3rd person view... Which sorta destroys my game immersion... especially when I think about WHY I have to do that. 2. I can use the cameras... oh wait, they are even worse. SO I have to use a mod if I want clean windows or clean camera lenses. So, my options are all external fixes and to modify game play and design to accomodate. This is contrary to basic game design, IMO. Mods are supposed to extend the payability; to enhance it... Not fix it! So... in the interest of customer service and keeping the customers, most grocery stores would clean their floors if too many people complained. The perception being that if they didn't, then it would be understood that they really did not overly care about their customers experience and loyalty.
    I think we all get it.. Things degrade. I do not mind having to either clean it or replace it on occasion, especially after a very tough enounter with enemy or even a meteorite shower pitting the glass. (for instance, I love the damage badges you have for bullet holes, etc.)
    It actuually makes much sense to have windows degrade over time or during certain events. However, if I go to a glass shop, I certainly would not replace it with a used and abused piece of glass that is just as bad OR design a new ship only to source a piece of glass from a junk yard.
    So, your customer base has been asking you to fix this for a LONG time. IN fact, a few people put it out there almost weekly, or weekly to you to remind you that it is not going away. It is an issue. The perception now being that you don't care about something so simple and basic to us. (you fixed other things we've complained about right away such as exploding cyber dogs) However, if you do care, can you at least show us that you do by either fixing it, giving us an in-game option, or explaining your logic for us having windows we can barely see out of at times? As of now, after literally months of people complaining, I personally have never seen a dev response to this at all as if it is a taboo subject.
    I do understand that you have many directions you are covering with many enhancements and bugs to deal with. I also understand that it is easier in some cases to plug along and move forward... However, sometimes you have to step back and clean things up. Take a poll. I bet you find that a large percentage are bothered by this. Bottom line for me. Netcode, rotors, pistons, all that technical stuff. I get it. It is an ongoing battle. Glass, at least to my perception, is a simple broken or fixed issue. With clean windows, it's done. If people want a dirty window for now, allow a modder to make them. Let us finally have clean windows until such a time as we can have both WITHOUT having a mod. SO yes, I get it. Starting out in a damaged ship with limited resources, crunched armor, messed up windows, etc, is great for a starter ship but not a new build, or a retrofitted and repaired ship coming off of the line. Bottom line, please either fix this, address it in a reasoning response, or acknowledge that you will not fix or will fix at some point. Being mute about it is not a good plan. It breeds a feeling of being ignored.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Vulkan Trainee Engineer

The new Models look nice, But i would rather have the Copy/Paste Rotor Orbit and Kill everything issue be solved first.

But good job guys!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Beartornado Trainee Engineer

I can appreciate the dislike of scratches, however as long as they don't go overboard I think wear and tear is far more appealing on armor. Biggest issue I have with scratched glass is visibility, the current glass and camera "static" is absolutely absurd for the sake of functionality, and realistically their clarity would be maintained.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. K Man Trainee Engineer

Yeah, why is it that these SE "sci-fi" cameras were all made in the 1970s with shitty scanlines all over? If we have all this other tech the cameras should be boss.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Beartornado Trainee Engineer

I'm not even sure why the cameras have gotten the shaft from day 1. They wouldn't be OP if they had perfect clarity, you can't switch to 3rd person or look around with them, only switch to a different camera. And there are far less obstructive ways to make sure the player knows they are looking through a camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

There are games out there with textures changing, one right off the top of my head is Farming Simulator games. You start out with your machines nice and pretty and over time they get quite filthy, you go wash them and get them squeaky clean again.
    So it has been done with other games. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Arcturus Senior Engineer

:stare:

You can see some of his other items here: https://www.artstation.com/artist/defonten

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cycad Trainee Engineer

Major or minor bug with pistons exploding in survival, can this be fixed asap?

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Krougal Senior Engineer

Pistons exploding in survival? Say it ain't so....
    ROFLMFAO
    You must be new here.
    So uhhh...yeah welcome to the community.

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

I somewhat disagree - scratches are ok where they look right, but the way it's done now it's just too much; for example the nefarious windows have been scratched to the point that you cannot see outside the (planetary lander) respawn ships cockpit. Now they've gone and scratched every other detail they can get ahold of; What's more there is no "Realism" Component with Pre-scratched surfaces. And Personally - there's no salvaging SE at this point. It's gone too far off it's original mission statement ("A Engineering/Building Game set in the near-future using *mostly realistic* technology" - Do you see this in the current state?)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. AdmObir Apprentice Engineer

Nice update! Regarding the new block texture, I think they look really nice...but...I wish we had the choice between scratched up vs. fresh out of drydock textures. A shiny new ship versus an old junker that has many many miles on it...having that choice would be awesome!

12. taleden Trainee Engineer

The change log doesn't mention anything about any changes to the in-game scripting API, but Taleden's Inventory Manager is broken again in 01.148. This code used to work:

Code:
    void ScanBlocks<T>() where T: class
    {
    	List<IMyTerminalBlock> blocks;
    	blocks = new List<IMyTerminalBlock>();
    	GridTerminalSystem.GetBlocksOfType<T>(blocks, (blk => (gridDocked.ContainsKey(blk.CubeGrid) == false || gridDocked[blk.CubeGrid] == true)));

but now throws these errors:

Are anonymous functions no longer allowed? Is there now some new way to apply a filter to the GetBlocksOfType() call? It'd be nice to have these things noted in the change log at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Krougal Senior Engineer

/facepalm

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Replic TuaniOne Apprentice Engineer

Oh, he has the gravity generator there as well! nice link :D

15. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Still waiting for the programming changes in Dev to be pushed to Stable. Having my codes only work in half of the game is not fun.

16. Rabir Trainee Engineer

I hope with the new graphics you release the new render engine as well, because this gonna reduce the playerbase even more because of the lack of perfromance SE produces...

17. Defonten Artist Staff

Hey guys, thank you for your positive and negative comments ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Lotuc Trainee Engineer

When can we expect to get a usefull update? Like a new working netcode, or something like that? I don't care about these useless updates anymore! Waste of time ....

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Probably around the time they give us the Station Voxel Support World Option back... or when it's done. Whatever happens first. (The new Netcode is, afaik, already in and has been for a while. It's less a matter of implementing it than tweaking, optimizing and bugfixing it, and you won't get the full benefit of that until that's done.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. EmperorDragon Apprentice Engineer

Why do I get the impression that cats in the Czech Republic are extremely hostile and dangerous, with razor sharp claws...

• Funny Funny x 4
  21. Carlosmaid Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Mobiyus Apprentice Engineer

I like the future textures, looks good. Here's hoping we can get the CHOICE of having them scratched or not though. Also mildy worried about performance hit.

EDIT: Typo

23. Inflex Developer Staff

It is a bug. Here is temporary workaround. Nobody knows how log temporary actually is. ;)
    Code:
    Func<int, int> f1 = x => x; //No
    Func<int, int> f2 = (int x) => x; //No
    Func<int, int> f3 = x => { return x; }; //Works
    Func<int, int> f4 = delegate(int x) { return x; }; //Works

• Informative Informative x 2
  24. joeblack616 Apprentice Engineer

Hi, it will be fixed today. Sorry for inconvience

• Like Like x 4
  25. Carlosmaid Apprentice Engineer

@Defonten hi! I want you to know that beyond my joke of cat and scratches, you're doing a very good job. the heavy armor now looks really heavy. I really like the approach chosen in the new design of the blocks. (And it does not look bad scratched, maybe it would be best, when new block is just placed not show scratches, and if they have a minimum damage, show the scratched texture) (I do not know if it's easy or possible to do this)

for the glasses, yes! i find disgusting as they are now, if marek refuse to remove scratches should diminish at least, as it makes sense to have windows on a cockpit in big ship and to see something outside.

Good job, and i soon hope to see all these new blocks (finally not more "cartoonized" blocks!) :tu:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  26. PotatoGolem Apprentice Engineer

This game is not star trek, the scratches and dings are just right for a near future industrual theme, the devs have never hid their design goals...

I don't understand why so many people struggle accepting that the devs have a certain setting in mind, and it's not shiny utopia...

Can you put blocks in the shape of your favorate shiny ship? Sure ... does that mean the game is set in that world? No, it's space engineers....

The body of science fiction is SO SO big, It exasperates me that so many comments are about how scratches are just not sifi ...

To keen, Love the textures guys love the near future tec and asthetic, keep it up, don't bend to the vocal posters who can't accept that you have a world and setting they haven't seen before

Edit: correcting auto correct :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

@joeblack616 Easy Start Earth scenario is ignoring flora settings in Unstable. They're always at least low density, even when set to "none".

I even tried start a new world in Stable with flora off (which worked), then loading it in unstable. Somehow the trees came back. So it seems like its totally ignoring the flora settings in 1.145 - 1.148 DEV.

It makes multiplayer mostly impossible for that scenario. The trees eat so much FPS, even on an R9 390. But reverting to stable, is even worse in multiplayer.

28. Carlosmaid Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  29. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

Update 148.002
    - fixed lambda in programmable block

• Like Like x 2
  30. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.