Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.154 DEV - Configurable Block Limits & Performance Warnings

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Outfrost Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I worked that out, I know how iGPU setups work ;-) If I were to recommend a relatively quick and affordable upgrade for your system, it would be getting 16/24/32 (depending on motherboard capabilities and your wallet) GB of RAM clocked higher than 1600 MHz effective (e.g. DDR3-1866, DDR3-2133, DDR3-2400). The clock speed is a bit more important here than in most cases, because higher frequency improves data throughput (bandwidth), which becomes relevant when the GPU is using system RAM as its main memory.
    The first post in that thread is a bit obsolete, because soon after I wrote that, the "corrupted world"/OutOfMemory crashing issue was resolved by a patch (as reflected in the second post there). However, I believe that the principle behind the memory overflow problems remains the same.
    I would say it has become somewhat common. How common though, I can't really tell.
    The game using up 28 GB of RAM would indicate that there still seems to be a massive memory leak indeed.

2. Aracus Senior Engineer

3. Outfrost Apprentice Engineer

That plugin's job is only to get rid of the performance penalty introduced in this update, right? If so then it probably won't help with the memory issue. It might help people experiencing lowered framerates on big ships and stations, though.

4. Ubai Trainee Engineer

I reverted to the regular branch and all the memory issues went away, so something is definitely off.

I would like to point out to those who are suggesting that this game should be designed with a 16gb minimum that SE is already a niche game. If you further reduce the customer base to those who like engineering games and who also have expensive PCs you're shooting yourself in the foot, financially speaking. :p

5. posthy Apprentice Engineer

I just exited space engineers and got windows alarm saying system is low on memory. It never did this before, so something is definitely wrong with current dev version's memory handling!

6. Outfrost Apprentice Engineer

I don't think people are suggesting that, as much as pointing out that 8GB of RAM is becoming an outdated spec in general. Of course, lots of people still have 8GB or less (that includes me and I think most of those posting here) and it will stay like that for a while, so SE developers should probably take memory limitations into account, but going forward, people considering a new gaming PC or an upgrade to their current one should treat 16GB of RAM as a reasonable minimum.

7. ViroMan Senior Engineer

So ya, since this update... 16gb ram and a 16 gb page file is no longer enough. My windows 10 (fucking windows 10... someone shoot me for getting this crap OS win 7 was better) is complaining about running out of space after 3 hours of game play. :(

8. Nacon Junior Engineer

I found this strange that you guys are suddenly having memory leaks now while AMD users like myself had this memory leak for a year now. Haven't had the chance to truly play SE in a year because of it.

Sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aracus Senior Engineer

For some people, things aren't a problem worthy of noticing at all unless THEY suffer from it.

10. DustinMVille Trainee Engineer

well due to windows 7 home premium 16 gb limitation i am stuck with up to 16 (why do they limit the ram its stupid and greedy).
    but i also need a better psu (i have 400watt) and i need a better gpu (playing on what is equivalent to intel hd 4000 is starting to get hard (i dont mind sub 30 fps but it can get annoying))
    --- Automerge ---
    i am a amd user and i am just starting to have memory leaks but i have been having rubbish fps since i got the game (but my gpu is rubbish so i cant blame that on the game)

11. Harrekin Master Engineer

Hey,

Just wondering if you could disclose if there's any additional game play features being worked on?

No need to be specific (yes or no will do), but is this the game in its finished form with only bugfixing, polishing and optimisation planned?
    --- Automerge ---
    Memory leaks caused by a specific brand of processor?

Do you guys even think before posting?

12. posthy Apprentice Engineer

I think theoretically it is possible considering the differences between the architectures, might need small differences in low level programming, but I highly doubt that'd be the case here. And not just because I also have an AMD cpu and never had this problem in SE before this patch (and in any other software game or not for that matter)...

13. Burillo Junior Engineer

if this was the case, then a lot more software would exhibit problems on Intel vs. AMD chips. not to mention C# memory leaks are different - it doesn't allow the kind of memory leaks you see in traditional software. its memory leaks are more of a "forgot to remove a reference" rather than "forgot to free the memory". to give an example, in C/C++, allocating memory, not freeing it and losing the pointer is a memory leak. in C# this doesn't happen, because all allocated memory in C# is garbage collected (if you lose a reference, GC will reclaim the memory, so nothing is ever leaked in that way). however, in C#, if you, say, create a new element but forget to remove an old one from some cache or index, that will effectively cause a memory leak, because you're keeping a reference to memory you no longer have any use for. and unfortunately, garbage collection cannot help with that, because, as far as it's concerned, you still have your reference, so the memory wasn't leaked.

more on that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. DustinMVille Trainee Engineer

i said that the memory leaks just started for me and the bad fps i was having before the update was simply because i have a rubbish gpu.
    also i wasn't thinking about the cpu i was referring to the gpu.
    i did not say the leaks were because i have a amd possessor.

15. Harrekin Master Engineer

This is hideously oversimplified but a processor is essentially just a multifunctional calculator, it takes a problem in on one side and then outputs a "solution" on the other.

It doesn't matter if you use an Intel, AMD or an ARM 32.

16. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

IIRC Intel and AMD had different 'extended' instructions, so if you code identifies the processor in order to make use of each set, there could be the case where one branch could have a memory leak and the other not.??

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. posthy Apprentice Engineer

That's basically true, but such differences are handled by the motherboard's firmware and the OS. No game engine intended to be universal (in terms of x86 at least) should go to tinker with those directly.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  18. Burillo Junior Engineer

not really. the vast majority of the instructions are the same, in the name of compatibility. the really-really CPU specific ones are the ones you're not likely going to use in a game anyway. not to mention none of those would cause memory leaks, not to mention SE is written in managed code, so the faulty translation to native CPU instructions would be Microsoft's fault, not KeenSWH.

19. Nacon Junior Engineer

Did you check the bug reports from a year ago? We're not expert in finding the actual source of the issue but it was pretty clear that AMD's CPU was the common one to have this issue. Go figure.

Don't bother arguing about it now because it won't get us anywhere closer to solving the problem. It's up to the developers try to figure this one out.

It has been a year... good chances they don't know either.

20. Ubai Trainee Engineer

I have an AMD processor and this patch is the first time I have had any game stopping memory issues.

21. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I also have AMD and had no issue till this patch.

22. lowrez Trainee Engineer

There was no change to the behavior or damage of land NPCs at this time.
    --- Automerge ---

For those that are experiencing memory leaks related to this release (154), could you give some details on the issue? For example:
    1) It happens from the start or only after a particular time?
    2) What are the scenarios where it happens?
    3) How much RAM does your system have?
    4) Any other details, like mods used and steps that consistently trigger the leaks will also be very helpful.

Thank you very much.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  23. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I have 30GB RAM, SE has gone up to 10, but my system seems to get *very* laggy often when the game goes above about 5-6GB most of the time. When my machine lags out, my commit charge is about 75%, I really shouldn't be swapping.
    When I notice the leak, I'm modding.

That involves leaving a simple world (empty world, no planets, less than 10 grids; most of which have <50 blocks per grid) open, and F5ing often to reload scripts and sbcs (no more than 10 of my own mods in the world), and/or reloading textures in game.
    The game is also in the background a lot (alt-tab) while I'm in VS, Blender, or PS.
    It doesn't take more than 30 minutes of modding to cause the game to get to 5GB or higher.

24. Bad Humour Apprentice Engineer

What was the 149mb update the dev branch just got just now. Seems rather early... very early.

25. MasterMind3508 Trainee Engineer

Same Question overthere =)

26. lowrez Trainee Engineer

We'll investigate why the update size was so big.
    In terms of the content, it's simply 2 hotfixes: 1 crash and 1 performance issue.

27. Decker_MMIV Trainee Engineer

It seems to happen right from the start of a loaded world, slowly eating the available RAM.
    Just look at 'Windows Task Manager' on a secondary monitor while running SE, and it should become quite visible.

Start a new world - 'Quick Start' - then once its loaded, take notice of how much RAM is currently in use via 'Windows Task Manager'.
    Now do absolutely nothing in-game. Just let the avatar stand still for the next 10-15-... minutes, and look at what 'Windows Task Manager' shows of SE's memory consumption.

28. ViroMan Senior Engineer

AMD
    16gb ram
    it has happened 3 times to me. It takes a few hours of game play before it happens. Each time it happens (different saves) the world starts to get half second stutters every few minutes (presumably its starting to thrash the HD) and then finally it locks up as windows 10 "attempts" to bring up the "your out of memory" notification but, fails as literally all of the memory is eaten up by the game and is incapable of swapping out of the game and just sits there for 5 minutes before I give up. I know its the out of memory as, I could not alt tab or even ctrl alt del to do anything. But pressing power button makes it start force closing everything to shutdown and the last thing to close is the memory window.

29. odizzido Junior Engineer

Yeah the 8 gigs of ram for a recommended spec is completely off. I barely get by with my 8 gigs on lowered settings and I have to close everything. Skype, browser, everything. I have to reload the game every four hours or so because memory usage slowly begins to climb as well.

8gig minimum, 12+ recommended imo.

30. posthy Apprentice Engineer

I have AMD cpu and just 8GB ram, but never had problem before this patch. After ~10-15 mins the "Your out of memory, try to close Space Engineers" windows dialog pops up regardless of world setting and number of mods loaded. I can dismiss the dialog after alt-tabbing out and continue playing but performance is reduced and after a few minutes the win dialog attacks again...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.