Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.155 DEV - Unsupported Stations and Bugfixes

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. I23I7 ME Tester

I will have to ask and see if it can be done :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bad Humour Apprentice Engineer

3. Joži Trainee Engineer

Somebody experienced memory leaks as well ? I have 12 GB ram and after 3h of playing (started new solar system world with Gen's mods http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=392674650 ) it's eating my full memory then crash :( ... I came from stable 1.49 to 1.55 and no memory issues on stable.

4. I23I7 ME Tester

There will be a hotfix addressing the memory leak today.

• Like Like x 4
  5. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

Well I dislike the mentality of "OK I found this way to abuse these 2 blocks, now they can't fix this without checking with me first" hell you don't event care about ruining the online experience of lots of players and admins.
    :D:D
    Also they didn't remove the feature entirely. They limited it, but the block still performs the advertised function. Check your facts...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. rexxar Senior Engineer

The thing is, limiting the character count doesn't even really fix any problems. You can still bring a server to its knees with 4200 characters. Your argument is stupid, this isn't fixing an exploit, it's just putting arbitrary limits on features.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

Can you please confirm that these 10.000 characters aren't travelling server->all clients for every time the panel is updated? (Many times a second and each panel in the server that has these scripts).
    Thank you.

So you're saying that they limit this just to f*ckup up some people mods. That sounds like a stupid argument too.
    They did it for a reason/purpose other than that. We just don't know or may not agree with it.
    Also if you don't agree with my view there is no need to call it stupid, that just makes you look bad. Call it invalid/wrong/inaccurate, etc. Insulting people's opinion doesn't make you smarter.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. Wellstat Apprentice Engineer

Looks like my Floor Plan Script is broken now, as it uses at least 50K characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. chrisb Senior Engineer

Yep, I'm around 700,000kms from start and I'm using as much as 15gb after an hour or so. Seems a little on the high side. ;)

10. Krypt Junior Engineer

It still not enouth. Plan script requares something near 64к symbols
    Also, seems like you are checking not a string length, but used memory. Most of chars requares at lest 2 bytes to represent symbol. So, I tryed to perform test - I was able to put only 2k chars.
    Also, "graphic" scripts uses your abxy-buttons as pixels. It placed in Pivate Use Area of unicode and have pretty big codes: >0xE000. It requares 3 bytes to encode characrer.

So, we need at least 262144 bytes (2^18) (256 Kbytes)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Lol.

And rexxar made a valid point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

As I did too. The fact thay you don't like it doesn't make it invalid.
    I favor a smooth multiplayer experience over shiny mods. He doesn't approve the change because he knows some people can still go around it and make a mess. BUT the average people can't and won't, so thanks to this change many admins might enable the PB block again in DS. This solution may even not be final, as with everything they do.
    I respect the fact that you don't like this change and I don't call you stupid because you want your mod working.
    I want simspeed=1 without having to hunt down scripts on the server.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. sir_evilfish Trainee Engineer

Yes, I was just going to post it with some diagnostics.. I was not sure if if was something related to SE or another updates I ran on my machine. I noticed the problem right after dev.155; while mining on a planet, the memory rises quite quicky; by doing nothing, I saw numbers around 1 to 2MB per second. The memory leak stops when going to the main menu, but the used memory is not cleared. My system crashed something like 90 minutes after starting a game.

In the meantime (for diagnosing purposes only), I raise my virtual memory to 16GB, to give me more time to check what was going on.

Lets hope the upcoming fix do the magic!

14. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

No, you contradicting yourself in the same post did that.

We are not talking about mods; we are talking about in-game scripts.

Text panels aren't the root of all lag induced by programs. Anyone can lag a server with a single program running stupid complex math. The issue is that the root of the problem is being sidestepped.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

I know.. I was fascinated by how they got colored pixels on-screen.. then I used spectator to get a real good look.. then all I could do was *clap*

[​IMG]

It's just.. brilliant!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Krypt Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Okay dude, you're starting to get belligerent here! If you're running a server, I get it, it's a lot of work.. sometimes almost not worth the effort.. I get it. But, you are completely missing the point of the argument. In that, Keen has been incrementally adding handicaps to SE for a while now that hasn't done much to address some serious issues with performance, that have very VERY little to do with overall server lag. And, in the end, if scripts are lagging out clients, then that is ridiculous, as all scripts 'should' be managed server-side, until a client comes in 'contact' with the script either through lcd or console. If this is not so, then Keen needs to address this client-side/server-side issue asap. But, from all indications, reinforced by the big mp team bounty, they just haven't been able to wrap their heads around this issue so far. I'm not on anyone's side, except I'm not on the side of people who dismiss valid concerns about this game's performance and progress. Believe it or not, we ARE in fact Customers of a company contracted to provide a product for public consumption, which said company has vocally supported we as customers to voice our concerns and opinions to them about our satisfaction and dissatisfaction publicly. Therefore, I do not respect a third-party to belittle a concern between the customer and the business. Check yourself brother, you don't run the show here. We ALL do!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I would use it but I only code for vanilla :/ So the spacing changes would throw off my calculations. And the truncation crap... :/

@Lé Grand Sárrazin: Very well put. It has considerably less curse words than my initial response :p

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. rexxar Senior Engineer

No. You don't understand the problem at all. This does not fix the exploit. At all. All it does is break scripts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Thanks Whip, I feel for you, you've got some of the best scripts out there, some really necessary ones to boot, so it kinda erked me someone was dismissing you like that. But.. civility is key!!
    Cheers!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. Joži Trainee Engineer

seems like memory leaks are fixed with new hotfix update. nice job :tu:

• Like Like x 3
  22. Lé Grand Sárrazin Apprentice Engineer

Btw @Whiplash141 I did a little testing w/. your thruster manager script a few days ago, and while looking around came across Digi's Attachments mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516770964
    I read through, and since it is made out of a rotor, I thought I'd try it out, and it works. You can actually attach small thrusters to a large ship.. mind you they produce almost no thrust, but it's possible. Thought you'd like to give it a whirl, if you haven't already!
    Makes for a pretty sleek design!
    Cheers!!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Yeah my empty world no longer uses 12 GB of ram so that is nice :woot:

Yeah the "Rotor Thruster Manager" can work with connectors too :p

• Like Like x 2
  24. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

I think that there is a confussion and we are talking about two different things. I never said that the change fixed an exploit. I liked the change because meant that regular folks won't be using these scripts (because now they dont work properly) all over the place and killing the server.
    I have the right to like the chage .D I may be selfish because of that, but you scripters may be selfish because you want your script running even if they kill servers.

Also, you know that keen put in place the check for complex script and a timer that fires once per second max. If you find a way to go around these limits, and then keen does something to limit you, you can't really blame them for that. Even if it's a quick and dirty way while they find a more elegant solution. I haven't looked at Whip's code, but he is clearly updating the panel faster that 1Hz, and with a lot more data that keen could have anticipated.
    I suppose you are referring to an exploit that allow these things to be possible? or something else
    --- Automerge ---
    Sorry but I don't understand what you imply with that. I'm not telling anyone how to do stuff, or when. I only stated I liked a change they did.
    KEEN is running the show, and they just decided that you can't throw a crazy amount of data to the text panel :D at least for now.
    Has anyone even tried to ask them if they plan to leave it like that?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  25. Zinlu Trainee Engineer

Sounds to me like this is the true problem, and how is it supposed to get fixed if it gets bandaided and forgotten about?

Isn't there an option to disable scripts? That would save you having to "hunt down" scripts on your server.
    Seems to me you'd rather break only Clang knows how many scripts in the workshop and affect everyone that plays creative/singleplayer/multiplayers with better servers, because of a problem on the server you play/admin on.

Oh I have an idea, why not ask your players not to use certain scripts, in an MOTD or similar, "Use these scripts you get a warning, use them again you get banned". Sounds to me like you are admining the server(hunting down scripts), so: Be an Admin

Because that worked so well for the glass...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  26. sir_evilfish Trainee Engineer

Yes, indeed, the memory leak seems solved. I did an intensive mining session (about 1hr punching holes in Mars), and mem went from 5GB to 5.1GB. The biggest increase happened when saving, nothing else. Wonderful job!

27. MasterMind3508 Trainee Engineer

Edit: That what i was thinking since i don't have any issue too :)

28. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Oh god forbid that players want the game to run smoothly AND work with their creations. That is an awful thought...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Mulahey4 Trainee Engineer

Anyone else woke up this morning with a refinery nowhere to be found? :D There are just the 4 modules right next to the spot where the refinery used to be - as the witnesses to my sanity. Also I had all my uranium in it! I only recently started a solo survival on a star system with no mods at all and this is how it ends? :D

EDIT: Also, I would like to request a simple feature to be added into the game. That is: when saving the game with SAVE AS, we should be able to choose from the list of previous saved games with the ability to create a new save. It is a pain in the butt trying to remember what my specific saved games name is. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  30. qh123 Trainee Engineer

anyone on DS having problems with inertial dampeners on planets with large ship atmospheric thrusters ?

EDIT: i found the problem i had hydrogen thrusters enabled without hydrogen. it is still a bug. disabling the hydrogen thrusters helped

i have a problem on dedicated server with inertial dampeners on a large ship 2600 ton with atmospheric thrusters.
    there is certainly enough power - two large reactors together 600MW and the thrusters are powerful enough - when i hold up (space key) then the ship accelerates upwards 1m/s*s
    total of 16 large athmospheric thrusters facing down ( thrust up)
    interestingly the bug happened after mining around 350 ton of ore and 7000 ton of stone that was ejected after.

the dampeners dont hold the ship in place even there is enough power and thrust. the ship accelerates falling around 2 m / s*s

can anyone help me what could be the problem or any solution ?

it is hard to dock with manually holding altitude with space or landing gently
    the problem persists on other ships sometimes , once a server restart solved it on another ship. on this miner , id didnt help.
    once it happened on a small ship also.

there is one different bug which doesnt enable inertial dampeners after server restart , that is solved by turning off and on dampeners, but it didnt solve the mentioned problem.

thank you very much
    my version 01.155.003 64bit

ps. there is another bug with sun rotation , the sun does rotate a bit but then goes back to original position. always night
    EDIT: i found out the sun is not bugged, my base is on planet pole and the sun is always behind mountains

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.