Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.155 DEV - Unsupported Stations and Bugfixes

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Krypt Junior Engineer

It not requares complicatad calculations, actually. Font is monospaced, so, width = str.length * charWidth. Or, because charWidth is constant - you can use char places count instead of screen width

2. Bad Humour Apprentice Engineer

If the script is optimised enough then characters wouldnt matter. It depends on the quality of the script not the amount of characters on the lcd.

I checked to see if there was performance difference today and ran floor plan script and phil's ship diagnostics on a world i used both before the update. There was no difference. In terms of performance and were rendered almost pointless. As they werent accurate enough anymore to be useful.

Also these scripts will cause performance issues depending ship size. Maybe optimizing how a script finds and checks the status of blocks might be a more elegant solution.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  3. Krypt Junior Engineer

Big amount of text is matter in context of transferring data between server and client. But... I'm playing only in SP, why I must be care about MP limitations?

4. Bad Humour Apprentice Engineer

Oh that must explain why i didnt see a difference in performance. Then maybe make it an option for dedicated servers other than limiting the singleplayer ppl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Krypt Junior Engineer

> an option for dedicated servers other than limiting the singleplayer
    Because it Keen! :(

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Bad Humour Apprentice Engineer

As someone has stated on the steam forums keens logic is sometimes comparable to this:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Wellstat Apprentice Engineer

The floor plan script is already optimized to the best efforts, while within the bounds of API limitation. The block checking is not the performace reducing part, its the rendering to the LCD that is the most cpu intensive (despite already consolidating all text using stringbuilder and then outputting them at once to LCD).

Right now there is no way to "optimize draw" a floor plan without using "Width X Height" amount of pixels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. qh123 Trainee Engineer

anyone on DS having problems with inertial dampeners on planets with large ship atmospheric thrusters ?

EDIT: i found the problem i had hydrogen thrusters enabled without hydrogen. it is still a bug. disabling the hydrogen thrusters helped

9. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

now, please say "Money will be Raining from the Sky!"

but seriously- i'm just glad i can do crazy things like retrofit my ships by placing them on a single station /with powered merge, block now. its nice if all your cuts stay in place and don't need to be cut-pasted a ludicrous amount. now the questions is, what will Rotal do...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Saucers. All of the Saucers.

11. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

True... but its a mod :( I really wish that we monospaced font in vanilla SE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Krypt Junior Engineer

@Whiplash141
    Unfortunetly, it even not a steam mod.
    It must be installed manually, because officially Se not support font modding.

P.S.: It is done, actually. Currently I'm trying to fix Configurable LCDs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Outfrost Apprentice Engineer

So, the issue still persists for me. As I said in the previous update's thread, I'm not sure if it's related to 01.154 (probably isn't), but the game's performance got only slightly better for me, while freezes and high amounts of disk writes are still present.

14. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

Damn those new textures and models. Looks like I'll have to up my modding game as well... D:

15. MirkoMX563 Trainee Engineer

I´m very happy about a lot of features Keen has integrated into the game like planets.
    I wish that like other players too.
    Keen, you really did a good job and i hope you will constantly do so on.
    But if i can say a wish: please make survival more survival and add food and water.
    Add bushes and/or trees where you can find berrys or fruits, or vegetables or so.
    Or crop beds you can plant your own food. That would be famous in space and moons.
    And maybe a lot of animals you can hunt or tame to produce meat or milk, eggs or something
    like that. Sabiroid eggs taste famous i heard in the outer space but never have eaten one before^^

Last thing: I think this would be a really nice and important update and make space engineers
    more survival and realistic.

If you will do that: I build a huge temple for Keenonymous - my god.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  16. Greystar Trainee Engineer

This has been done already in another game that is along the same lines as Space Engineers, its called Empyrion Galactic Survival. There are something in this game that Keen as done much better, like Planets usage and how it's seamless. In Empyrion you have a transition from Atmo to space (which is essentially a load sequence) also you are walled off into a very small sector of the planet that is considered playable. You can also fly between planets (all be it slow if you dont have a jump drive) you can not do this in Empyrion. I'd much prefer them to keep with what they are doing now. You already have food, as in Energy, you have Water as Oxygen. Hydrogen is for enhancing your movement. So all the elements of survival are already there, just not in the sense you are looking for. I would suggest you try another game such as the one I mentioned if you want what Space Engineers offers + requiring food, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

Did anyone else experience serious performance degradation due to the ninja patch on the Stable branch this weekend (1.149.005)? Our server, which was running at 1.0, now bounces between 0.6 and 0.8... again. @.@

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tal Raeth Trainee Engineer

I've seen it too on the dedicated server we run on. Sunday morning I was playing with just one other person on and it was bouncing between 0.6 and 0.8. The server was running mostly 1.0 last week with 4-5 people on. Now when we get 4-5+ people the server sim speed runs around 0.4 to 0.5. I don't know the exact server specs, but I know it's a pretty good one.

19. Hailedbean Trainee Engineer

With the latest contributions, we're upgrading today to a 6 core, 6gb server. That will be happening shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CrazyEd Trainee Engineer

Ahhhh, so thats why it stopped :-/

21. LocInt Apprentice Engineer

If you can not fix it then remove it or add a limit and make it useless. Good work ksh!

22. Guillaume Trainee Engineer

I thought SE servers could only use a single core?

23. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Unstickied, patch is coming, maybe planets this time? The hype is real!!! Ermahgerd!

(I am nostalgic today)

24. Hailedbean Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately this is true :(. I opted for more ram anywho.

25. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

Nice update! Looking Good!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.