Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.175 DEV - Lens Flares

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 16, 2017.

1. DigitalStone

I'm gad about adding lensflare for a more real immersion.
    But just not about the look of it. It looks too colorful in a hyper-real fashion.
    A real lensflare seen from space looks very different.
    Maybe in the end there will be settings to turn these kinds of features on/off?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. I23I7 Tester Developer

Alright i think i am late to the party but anyways guy a little info on some of the bug you guys reported. Merge blocks are being seen into we know that there is a problem with small grid merge blocks causing clang and grids to blink out of existence . Problems with battery functions as well where the discharge,recharge and semi-auto do not work at all or where solar panels double the power consumption . The issue that some cannot play the game due the driver error message appearing has as well been reported as high priority problem.

Welder change has not been forgotten and i still planned.

Cheerios!

Blasts away

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
  3. Urablahblah

Can we vote to give you a promotion to community communicator? :)

But seriously, nearly every post you make gives good "inside" information that allays our fears that the community isn't being heard and bugs aren't being worked on. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Veritas

I meant that the issues arose roughly within two weeks of each other, give or take 2-3 months ago.

5. Lurch84

Erm, it's still spawning... (the practice ship). I've had to go into the prefabs and delete it manually again.... All welder forgiveness withdrawn :D ha.

6. Thomas_Jefferson

The thing is, there are 2 different kinds of effects going on here. One of which is acceptable in a game that's supposed to be your own eyes, and one that is a result of actual camera lenses. Since most video games are supposed to be a personal experience (even from 3rd person views; it's not a "camera", it's an enhanced perspective), the existence of the ladder and over-obvious former is what is so unacceptable in this update (or any video game with a similar experience).

First, we see the bright lines going in many directions. While it can be exaggerated through a camera, those lines actually happen with human eyes. Bright light tends to scatter when it hits the surface of our eyes and can cause those lines and extreme contrast. This is commonly known as glare. Look at any bright, non-defused light and you're likely to see glare, especially in the dark.

Second we see those little round purple and blue-grey circles (or hexagons, or octagons, etc). Those are flairs caused by lens groups and filters in cameras. THAT is the "lens flair" that people are conditioned to noticing due the the fact that many pictures and films have them when a bright light source comes into frame. Everyone sees those and it adds to the "cinematic experience" simply because that's what we 're used to seeing. Moreover, due to large amounts of CGI used in movies, that effect is added or enhanced for that reason (see the Star Trek post by @Arturo Cofresi).

Aside from the group that would like absolutely no sun glare, I believe the LENS flair should be removed completely, and the GLARE to be reduced to reasonable levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Arkideit

Please make possibility to change skybox. Right now when im in space everything is blue. And it realy annoyng when you paint your ship. i with to have old one

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gordon861

Sorry but did batteries and power ever 'work' properly in the history of the game?
    I mean 'work' in the way that you would actually expect them to operate in real life. Isn't this why people spent so much time writing scripts to turn on some parts automatically, to get them to 'work'.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game (700 hours solo) but I just wish it would live up to the potential that it has.

9. darth_crunchus

All I see are gripes about the damned lens flares...what about people like me who actually like the damned things? Keen, if you're reading this, put a damned option to turn the fucking things off so the cry babies can be appeased...

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thomas_Jefferson

Believe it or not, they actually did (as far as I recall). When they were first introduced, they worked just as expected and did what they say on the box. Even solar panels too! You could make a station with solar and batteries. It would use solar first, batteries second, and all the checkboxes for the battery options worked correctly and as expected. I'm not sure what changed, but it never went back to that.

Check out the Workshop on Steam. There are many skybox mods to choose from.

11. Commander Rotal

May i inquire if you guys know about the problems with grid size auto recognition, block selection and the removal of the "New Station Grid"-button? Otherwise i'll throw up a bug report but lately the answer seems to be some variation of "yeah, we know already" :)

(Talking about this post here: https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-175-dev-lens-flares.7392954/page-4#post-1287041026 )

12. Speshal_Snowman

I feel like the blue lens flare in it looks weird, but the yellow lens flare in it looks good

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. sacksquatch

I just got a huge patch on stable. Sup wit dat?

14. VanStorm

I personally like the lense flares even though they could be a lot less intense.
    The way PhoenixTheSage modded them:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865309539

Other than that it would be nice if there would be a checkbox in the graphic settings so you can enable or disable it without having to use the dev menu.

15. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin

I'm one of those cry babies, and an option to toggle it was one of the things I initially suggested. We're not trying to ruin anyone else's fun, just trying not to get a headache. Relax.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sevnn

We need these types of updates in the weekly release notes. We don't need to know the status of every bug but a "known/pending issue" list would go A LOOOOOOONG way to reducing frustration and confusion. Please keep them coming and if you can work with Drui to get them in the first post that would be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Leonardo90

We need some information about this patch!

18. Roxette

It's in the edited first post, as is customary :

Hotfix:
    - fixed crash when pressing ctrl+b while pointing at empty space
    - fixed collision with mirrored 5x5 wheel for small grids

Last edited by a moderator: Today at 19:41

19. sacksquatch

I think the confusion is due to it being a fairly large patch, and I'm on stable branch. Wouldn't the friday hotfix be dev only?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roxette

See the Stable Branch update thread https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-172-stable.7392498/

Hotfixes 17.2.2017:
    - fixed crash while respawning in drill ship
    - fixed stable flag ( broken mods )

Last edited by a moderator: Today at 18:08

• Informative Informative x 2
  21. Renegrade

In those days, batteries HAD to have a checkmark in one of the three boxes, the "fully auto" mode didn't exist (ie all three boxes unchecked). They stopped working reliably since that was implemented, which is quite annoying as that was an awesome feature (or would have been, if it had worked).

:(

22. sacksquatch

AHA! Mystery solved :)

23. mikeloeven

This is not a change you should be forcing on players but rather something that should be a server configuration This is a matter of per server rules not something that the devs should dictate arbitrarily

additionally the definition of ""Enemy Player"" simply doesn't exist because all alliance is faction based and untill the mechanism exists for friend or foe assignment of individual players this is a horrible implementation and an example of once again making problems by changing game mechanics before the support system needed to allow for the new mechanics to work properly has been implemented

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Commander Rotal

Aren't factions at war by default unless they make peace?

25. mikeloeven

And thats one of the many flaws in the faction system should be the other way around actually to encourage people to play together.

Personally factions should be neutral by default with ability to declare war (Enemy) and peace (ally) currently neutral designation exists but is not used at all. Also the lack of an option to add individual players as friend or foe is a major issue as well because not all players have factions.

this is what i meant by changing mechanics before the faction framework to support it was in place

• Agree Agree x 4
  26. SchmoJoe

When these kind of updates are released most of the users on my server say wow!! Too bad the game is still buggy as hell.

I understand some bugs. I mean the game is in beta for Christ sake. What I don't understand is adding more features to a game that has so many issues.

I see players come in and play for a few days, they hit me up on steam. Then they I see them going and playing some other game in steam.

With these kind of issues player retention will be weak at best. Prioritize on the bugs and players will stick around much longer.

27. Commander Rotal

I'm not sure i agree that it isn't a workable solution for now but i DEFINITELY agree that the faction system could do with a revamp to encourage diplomacy, i didn't even think of that!

28. Ronin1973

On a graphics note... I feel like the art department is trying a little too hard with their end of the game. Make it "better", mooor detail!, bigger, badder, huuuuuge...

Dial it back a bit guys. Mondo lens flares don't make us go "ooOOOoOooo." Highly detailed armor blocks don't make things look better. If you want to add something graphically to the game at this point, how about some variations on the look of space suits and the character face? Everybody looks exactly the same in SE. In purely aesthetic and/or immersion terms, that's probably the biggest issue in the game. Not everyone is raven haired with full beard... or even male. Yes. There are people in this world who aren't male. I've met some of them. Now that the game remembers your character color... let's expand that a bit.

• Agree Agree x 6
  29. Tri-Guy44

Sometimes when part of the sun shows up on the screen, the flares don't show up.

30. Echillion

This^^ should have been in the patch/update notes but thanks and I apologise but it does need to be made clearer or people will go off half cocked.