Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.176 DEV - Cutscene Editor

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Ah, don't worry, i hate those too.

Thing is that falls under "Future Me's Problem", or rather Future Keen's Problem. Fix the damn sun first, re-add ugly shineys for Thrusters later. The sky isn't falling, it's just way, way, way too bright.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ollis Trainee Engineer

You could use the Space Engineers Toolbox here. And open the world you want then select the object you want and it will list the position of said object.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Drakon Apprentice Engineer

Currently no. But I admit that it would be useful. When making campaign I just created new ones - as it is much easier than carefuly orient the existing ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. shinji.T Trainee Engineer

So I have been playing this game for more than 2 years or so and have been only watching the forums until now. I've created an account now because now I have something to say.

So I see a lot of people complain about various things.

So in the forums or the YouTube comments I often see these kinds of comments;
    -Stop adding more features and fix X and Y
    -Where the f*** is X? It's not even that hard to implement
    -I give up on SE because X has not been fixed after Y years
    -Keen doesn't listen to the community. We want this specific art style X. You arrogant a**holes

First of all, I see a lot of claims that keen ignores the community. But in reality only part of the community is vocal and say such things. Because there are people who are generally silent such as me. Therefore I don't think that it's a valid argument to say that just because some suggestion or complain is in the forum and keen doesn't always listen to it means keen is ignoring the community. Especially when it comes to art decisions. Because people that don't have an issue with it say nothing. You don't see many people saying; your style of art is great I love it! You only get angry comments about it.

Secondly, I feel like people in the forums or the comments sections are starting to lack basic respect for the developers. People nowadays just go straight to the forums or comment section and write something as if it were a demand. I see these kinds of attitudes as exploiting the fact that keen generally tries to listen to the community and just feel entitled to throw demands at their faces. It disgusts me because human beings are working at keen and people are being very rude, lacking any form of respect. As I stated above, the vocal minority in the forums are not the bosses here. You're the same people that claim keen is being "arrogant" yet it seems to me that these vocal minorities are the most arrogant.

Lastly, I am a guy that's studying IT in university and working hard to become a game creator. So do know something about coding because I code games myself. Given that SE uses a engine created by keen I'm very impressed with the amount of work keen has put in to improve the performance and fix bugs. I feel very uncomfortable when I see people saying stuff like "what have you been doing for the last X weeks? I've reported the bug Y years ago and it still hasn't been fixed. F*** you keen for being sloths" I know how hard it can get to fix bugs when it comes to original engines. Also please note that people who are making SE have changed a lot since the beginning. Which means, the guy that is coding right now may not know everything about the code of the game. That makes it significantly harder to squish bugs. So I don't consider that keen isn't listening even if a reported bug wasn't fixed immediately since they fix a lot of them every now and then.

I'm not trying to lecture anyone here. I just wanted to say something as ONE of the "silent majority" and have an input about this game. I currently enjoy the game as it is. (Probably because I got a monster PC recently but still) And people who are content with the game don't speak up that much. I just didn't like the amount of hate keen is getting in every public comment section.

Please keen keep up the good work. And please don't forget that there are still people that understand your hard work and devotion for making a good game. Please don't be discouraged by negative comments. I express my appreciation of your work. Thank you.

Sorry for the long post and bad English. (English is my third language, sorry.)

TL;DR :I hate how entitled the people in the fourums and the yotutube comment sections are.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. -=Ripps=- Trainee Engineer

The cold hard truth is that the sun isn't 'broke' - it functions exactly as intended and we the community are free to mod it and reduce the flarey'ness ourselves.
    I'm happy knowing keen isn't waisting their time on this as clearly the HUD is what being worked on right now. Kind of an all hands on deck approach maybe.
    but for keen to go and write a small fix for the specific few is just not good economically. they have to pay somebody for an hours work (even if it didn't take an hour).
    Essentially pissing against the wind when the renderer guys come back around and fix it properly before release.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

If the sun is making it uncomfortable to look at half the skybox it is broken. If it takes up an iso-ton of screen estate because of Lense Flares the size of Road Island, it is obstructive. The backlash hasn't been by "a few", it merely varies in severance - there's people who like Lense Flares, there's people who hate them but even the former agree that it's too much. They have a fix for this laying around that they are not using. That is a problem.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. -=Ripps=- Trainee Engineer

I'm pretty sure the 'fix' they intend to go with is probably you know... kick the art dudes up the arse and have them draw new effects

But if thats the same people working on the hud then you have a problem...

for me, the hud is a major eye-sore.

If you want to see evidence of how bad it really is look at the boxes containing the details on the lower left and right of the screen.
    as additional info was added the boxes were stretched to make room... this has resulted in a horrible uneven spacing in the already horrible horizontal lines..

edit:
    [​IMG]

I know where i want my £20 to go..

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. |Ñ| Ederrn Trainee Engineer

So basically speaking: officially there are no bug-fixes this week (but a new video, wow, amazing work!!!) And of course, as always, more bugs with every update. Sorry KSH, but the truth is that each week the number of bug fixes is less than the bugs you create with every "patch". I recomend to stop, take a breath, look back, and start to fix all the bugs of the game BEFORE starting new projects such as the new UI or any other new kind of content. Bugs is what ruin the game and we are week after week pointing them without your fix as a feedback. It is really frustrating.
    --- Automerge ---
    +1000000000

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  9. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

I would be putting together guides for you guys if I wasn't so busy figuring the tool out myself and building my scenario.
    And agreed, a forum would be nice (as well as a dedicated discord channel).

On a side note, I think there is a lot of overreaction going on in here and not enough patience. Lol at the people who think no one is using the tool. Those same people won't be complaining even a fucking peep once they get their hands on the content that people like us put out for them. Entitlement, overreaction, and impatience...that is all I'm seeing today.

I'm disappointed, not in Keen, but in the community.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Byteboost Trainee Engineer

I've just begun making some scripts and other stuff, cause many of the old-fashioned stuff throws errors, is buggy and is not up to date. But that's normal. SE is not an one year old baby. things change during time. that's exactly it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. teaseal Trainee Engineer

As much as I complain on reddit about the state of Space Engineers and the weeks going by without fixes, I want to take the time to thank both of you for communicating here. I think I speak for the community when I say we would all really like to see more of this.

Sitting around for weeks at a time, refreshing the forums every Thursday to only be disappointed by yet another week of a game breaking bug going unpatched is really disheartening. Every once in a while you guys will give us the "it is being worked on" response, but I think we would all love a little more transparency. How far out is it expected? What ideas are you toying with as a fix or feature? I know plans change, some bugs end up being harder to fix than others, which results in expected dates getting pushed back. But I think we would all rather see notice that a fix is getting delayed than a vague "it is being worked on" or worse, no response at all.

The welders are a great example of what I would consider poor communication from Keen. A change was made with little thought on how it would effect so many popular creations. I think we all understand that there was a bug with welders, however, instead of waiting to fix a minor bug properly, a workaround was created that instead broke more than it fixed. Now, I23I7 did post some on the change and relayed our feedback, but for most the part, the sum of what we received back on the subject was "it is being worked on". Keen chose not to communicate how they intend to solve the issue. There was no estimated time on when the issue was expected to be resolved. We're forced to hope that Keen will resolve the issue in a way that restores so many people's hard work in a timely manner. Unfortunately, your track record recently has not been positive. Considering how much of a hot topic this was, I think the community would have really enjoyed Keen's insight on what they felt was the proper solution to welders. This way, a two way dialogue could be established regarding the subject. Instead, the silence led to frustration, anger, and resentment.

There are a lot of major bugs that currently inhibit players from enjoying the existing game. I think when we look at merge blocks (which are currently effected by at least three major bugs for the last two months), pistons, rotors, the state of multiplayer, (features that effect the majority of the community in some way) going unpatched for months, and then we see new features added that, frankly, were not widely requested (lens flares, cutscene editor), it makes it look like Keen is not actively paying attention to the concerns of the community. A few words here or there describing your progress towards these issues really goes a long way in abating frustration on the part of your players and creators.

So in closing or the tl;dr, please, more communication on your part!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Speshal_Snowman Apprentice Engineer

Thank you!!! This will be a nice feature to have!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I don't understand why there are so many disagreeing with this update.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. PLPM Junior Engineer

People defending lens flares and cutscene editor.

Tell me, what does it add to gameplay? To the core of the game?

Nothing.

You won´t see anyone find SE and go "Oh boy, lens flares and cutscene editor, I´m so much buying this!!"

I started playing this game since all you could do is make a ship with five core functional blocks and crash it, I bought the game while it was just a glorified 3D ship designing and crash sim, but I knew the game could grow, that it could be so much more... We were just beginning ALPHA...

You know what the game is right now after three years? a glorified 3D ship designing and crashing sim. There´s nothing of depth aside designing for the sake of fooling around, and that hasn´t changed since the first weeks, that, honestly, is pathetic for the amount of assets, effort and dedication that has gone into this project, and Keen is now telling me is now in BETA??

There was feature creep, no doubt... but nothing was made with those features and now they´re just tagging along... look at oxygen and pressurization for example... planets, procedural generation, random encounters, AI creatures, so much time spent on this things, and they´re getting wasted right now...

Will the game go gold and it´ll still be a glorified 3D ship designing and crash sim? if this keeps going on, it will.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bings Trainee Engineer

The tool has been out for a fair while and next to no content has been published. How can you read that other than nobody knows how to use the tool? You said yourself that you are still figuring it out and you've modding experience. I have not. I gave it a good go but ran into problems with the program, which I raised on here. It turned out there was a problem with the program, that I couldn't diagnose initially because my knowledge is not enough to tell the difference when something is my fault, or a problem with the program. Documentation would help myself and other non or lesser experienced people use the program, more content would be created and problems with the editor would be more easily diagnosed. Nobody loses from the situation. It's not a sense of entitlement, I want to be able to use the programs they want me to use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

I don't disagree with you, in fact, I've raised the same sentiments on countless occasions with the devs.
    For god's sake, I made THIS mod within an hour of the last update: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865309539
    But you know what? The amount of salt when an update like this comes out is completely undeserved. I for one appreciate the additions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Llessur Apprentice Engineer

I dont think the issue is just with todays patch it just so happens to be the punching bag but more so with poor management overall. Prime example they released patch notes today then modified and said oh we fixed this stuff and WE had to request the patch notes and even then they didnt list them all so how are we supposed to support test and help this game in a meaningful salt free way when they cant get the basics of reporting stuff down after 3 years?!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

Personally, I've just had a crazy stressful time the past few months which is why my content isn't out sooner (I'm not really learning the tool anymore, more like figuring out what unique things I can do with it).

I haven't been working on it as much as I could...but just because the tool is there for non-programmers doesn't mean it will be for everyone. Most certainly programmers will be the most proficient with it. It takes time to learn and experiment regardless if you are a programmer or not anyway.

I wish you luck on using it, but if you don't know how to with the guides that are out there now, don't kick Keen in the teeth just because the rest of the guides aren't out yet. They've already said more are coming --> http://steamcommunity.com/app/244850/guides/#scrollTop=400

If you are truly having such an issue learning it, please just be patient and keep playing with it.

19. PLPM Junior Engineer

The cutscene editor is not bad as a feature, nor the sunflares, I actually love the idea of an actual editor for cutscenes but those kind of additions should be left out for just after the game is an actual game, not before it.

It´s how they´re prioritizing things over everything else that gets me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

If keen had listened to me in the first place, they'd already be working on their third game by now.

But, no.

For instance, I told them not to put planets in the game. Did they listen to me? NO, they did not. Now look what's happened.

Keen should listen to the community more.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. PLPM Junior Engineer

And what tells you this "third" game wouldn´t go the way SE is going right now?

This is a direction issue, not a feature one.

22. -=Ripps=- Trainee Engineer

I feel like yes the cutscene editor does add something to the game..

It allows players to do stuff normally only programmers would be able to do. which is great for any sandbox game...
    and yes while i can see why people dont like lens flare on the sun, lens flare in general are great addition to the game especially for those intending to create atmosphere in a level.

All of this stuff is obviously ground work for custom campaign creation.

23. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Keen's already working on their third game. It's ME.

24. PLPM Junior Engineer

Yeah, the cutscene editor is a good idea, but it´s nothing compared to improving the dying core of the game. Sunflares... they can be cinematic, sure, but there´s nothing to immerse yourself into in SE´s gameplay.

Custom campaigns?

SE shouldn´t need life support from users to be a good game, neither should we rely on modders...

Tell me, why do you play SE?

*Edit*

Devon, I completely forgot about miner wars :p, you´re right.

25. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I really like the sun flares :T

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

As I pointed out in the State of SE thread, planets were not the problem. The problem, as you yourself say, is one of communication, not resources.

And you're right. Keen does not listen enough. I greatly fear what's going to happen with the new HUD is what happened with the new armor texture, the glass texture, lense flare, welders, etc. They're going to release the HUD, which will have been built on limited feedback from internal testing, and it's going to have some random, nonsensical element to it that makes it worse, not better. And core gameplay features, things that relate to physics or building things, will be ignored again.

They told us they're working on welders. But they didn't say what they were doing; more range, even less range, no damage, less damage, damage range not equaling welding range, abandoning welders for an alternative build method ... what? No idea.

Keen has got to stop keeping their cards so close to their chest.

• Agree Agree x 4
  27. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Looking forward to the HUD and Hopefully a more immersive AND intuitive interface that is fairly easily skinned by the avg user so they can simulate different cultures.,.. etc. Anyhow...
    Further, Just My opinion. I am sure others are very anxious for the cutscene and scenario scripting tools. However, what really attracted me to this game originally was the open-world sandbox that allowed for the player base to essentially be the content, instead of relying on triggered events. All good, and I may be wrong, but I am almost beginning to think you are taking a niche game and making it even more niche while neglecting the OpenWorld sandbox Multi-Players. The Scenario now included in the game WAS interesting to me.. But really not at all why I play the game so I abandoned it. Too many other scripted games out there that burnt me out on that typoe of game flow. Some do like it though.... I guess.

If you wanna give us triggered events, give us some threatening pirate Engagements involving communications -- threatening attack, etc, if certain cargos are not ejected OR certain other conditions met. Cutscenes could show boarding party battles and some random explosions.. and.... take it from there. But really, without the supporting AI, that would be a cardboard tasting experience at best. hmmm...

NOTE: IMHO, once again, immersion is the key to me. The UI will be important as well as simple user customization of its display (really need some simple tweaks too guys for us less techie players... Not just for scripters and modders even if it is just simple color hue sliders) Also, Fixing all the other interactive blocks and making them work in multiplayer is CRITICAL. As it is now, many servers Ban many important blocks or limit their use.

I will add... As a long time player with a NUMBER OF HOURS I have been growing frustrated with the lack of bug fixing and tuning in the games present state (as I am sure you are as well) that having discovered a server with the Frontier Economy Mod, active Markets, and a thriving Spawn Ship Sale yard, it has piqued my interest again... Except of course, all the fairly intensive grid limits, certain block blacklisting, lag, clang, crashes, grid disappearances, lack of use of some scripts, automated server scripts that shut off weapons and productions, AND a HIGH desire to start really working with the technical blocks in multiplayer (should they even become really bug free in MP) to make truly SPACE ENGINEERED grids. I do not want "Space Script Scene Watchers".... LOL

I will add that you all, Keen and Community, have done something I could never do and I applaud all the Huge Milestones you have made to make my "Spacing Out" more Immersive!! Thanks!!!

• Like Like x 1
  28. Plongo Trainee Engineer

People who are complaining about having more features, would you really be happy with the game as a finished version as it is right this moment? No depth to pve and the game as a whole for that matter and very very basic survival? Reason devs are adding features is because the game needs it. And why do heaps of bug fixing when they are just going to add a feature which will re create all those bugs making all that hard work fixing bugs for nothing not to mention it would be a waste of time. Game is not broken, it's very playable, something's cause small issues, and if something goes wrong due to that, hit f5. People making out sun flare as it's the end of the universe and game breaking.

Keen keep your heads high, looking forward to the new hud!

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

It is a bit astonishing to me that it was decided to leave welders in their current, useless state.

And merges still don't work. *Facepalm*
    For anyone else who is tired of waiting (@Dwarf-Lord Pangolin), this is a mod that adds back in the mount point on a small grid merge: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871464450

It was a one line fix lol (I'm not kidding)
    Hopefully, Keen can hotfix this in, but in the meantime, no sense waiting another month for a simple fix.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  30. -=Ripps=- Trainee Engineer

Because its better than everything else thats even remotely like it - despite all the little things I've probably played around 2600 hours at this point.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.