Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.176 DEV - Cutscene Editor

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

... I'm sorry.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

Seriously, we know for a fact that large-block merge blocks still work fine. How the fuck can you not take one look at the code between the two versions of the block and not track down a simple and readily-reproduceable bug in under an hour of it being reported? Especially when it's that simple a fix. "We will have a fix next week" is simply unacceptable.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

It gets better. Large grid were broken just like small but they got fixed.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

When your modding community can fix something faster than you can, it might be time to admit you have a problem.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

Nevermind the surprise undocumented features we get in every other patch. Some of which are very nice and useful, but other times just break half the game because someone clearly doesn't share with the group what they do to the source code in their github commits (ie; turrets locking to Shoot).

Please, love of god, let them be doing something sane like github commits at least.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Renegrade Trainee Engineer

I'm glad to see yet more communication, even if it's disappointing messages. Better to hear bad news than to not hear it and have it surprise you later :)

Well, the actual code SHOULD be the same between the two blocks. Only one parameter should change at worst (and at best, it would be drawn from the grid's own info)...

I'm a little baffled by how long the bug fixing takes in general (including other games/product). It's almost like these new-fangled fad languages solve zero problems, and add about a million new problems, while eating extra CPU cycles to boot.

Did gets() touch people in their bathing-suit area or something? :p

#batteriesstilldon'tworkdammit (well as of 1.175. I haven't checked in 1.176 but I'd be willing to bet actual money that they still don't work properly. A good Return On Investment on that.)

Yeah. There was a nice one back in .174 or .175, I forget what it is right at the moment, but I was very pleased when I discovered it.. I'm hoping it's something that was intended and not a weird emergent feature from bugs interacting strangely or some crap like that hehe :)

7. Arcturus Senior Engineer

I am not on DEV, but I am curious what the new sounds are? Can someone check and reply?

8. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

machiney humming and clanking. quite cool if you ask me. Nice feature!

9. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

What it feels like when the game has serious issues but cosmetic features are being added (this also applies to the dreaded Lens Flares):

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 7
  10. Renegrade Trainee Engineer

Oh, one thing I forgot - someone was hoping for a peek at the new HUD as a teaser. I'd like to second that..I'd love to see a teaser of it too.

11. shinji.T Trainee Engineer

Okay that's it. Fuck this community. Did people just magically forgot that they've just added multithreding? MULTITHREADING! FFS if you don't know what multithreading and it's difficulties fuck off! Also, artists and coders work separately. It's not like keen is abandoning bug fixing by adding art effects. So can you guys stop being retarded for one week? Please?

I love you keen. But I hate the community. It's much more toxic than the cancer Dota 2 SEA server. DUCKING CANCER! The fuck is wrong with these people.

I tried to be civil in my last post but I'm done. I'm so fucking done with this community.

I repeat. I love your work keen. Keep it up. Me and the silent majority will be patient. Ignore these vocal minorities. They are the ones that have their head far up their asses. GTFO.

FUCK THE SE COMMUNITY. ITS FUCKING CANCER!

• Disagree Disagree x 12
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

*Violently kicks warhead in anger.*

oh right im sorry.
    *arm warhead:ON*

*Violently kicks armed warhead in bitter anger.*

wait i can't kick..

*violently attempts to mine armed warhead in bitter disappointed anger with the drill*

*misses and hits the voxel behind it because cross hairs are STILL off*

*press b menu to get the standard assault rifle to shoot the armed warhead is disgust*
    *b menu takes it still time to load*
    *finally loads*
    *can finally finally finally shoot the armed warhead in bitter disgusted anger and disappointment*

[​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    fuck multithreding
    shits still fucked up.

2 bloody messages okay thats it? lame

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

I think we can definitively prove with American politics that "silent majority" passive-aggressive attitude gets you nothing by being silent. Artists and coders do not "work separately" either. Anything an artist adds to a game (UI designs, textures, etc) still needs programming to be functional.

We also have not been "toxic", "cancerous" or even close to uncivil. Anything we've brought up has been coherent, grammatically correct, direct to the point, and stated without directed personal insults or threats to the fine people at KSH. Believe it or not, it's actually possible to disagree with someone and still respect them.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Llessur Apprentice Engineer

I dont think they inplemented full Multithreading if I am not mistaken furthermore people are quite aware the art department works seperate from coders but the way Keen is performing they have what two damn coders and 45 artists? Also Keen isnt being bitched at for having few bugs fixed THIS week it is that they seem to have no ability to prioritize the proper things and just blatantly break shit for the hell of it. They ignore half of the people or when they do post they half ass it like with todays patch notes which started with this new cinematic tool only and was not expanded on until asked and even then STILL didnt get a proper full list of patch notes....

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Well how about you leave the "cancerous" community with that stank additude ;)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. kingkrieg Apprentice Engineer

Personally, i think its valid to say it was not the update most if not all of us expected, but that doesnt even mean they will stop making the game better, this is, i think, the second time only in the span of 2 years or so that they had negative reviews of their weekly update, being the first time when they added firefly lights into the earth-like planets as a cosmetic bling.

All storms come to pass, i wont deny the idea that the game is currently suffering performance issues, specially so with those on low to mid spec computers, so the solution as always would be along the lines of: we'll just have to wait, however painful that is for many of us :(

And as such, ill simply wait, the game has made not steps, but rather leaps on the last months into development, sure, there are bumps on the road, but i know not of any game that had a seamless and perfect development record.

I just hope people dont go into a needless forum war like the Warcraft or Dota forums

As for the Senior people leaving, isnt that a bit over the top? my opinion of this game is unchanged despite having a few more or less players into it

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Marek was already known to leave games half finished and ignore his community base before SE. Im not sure why everyone is shocked now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ATMLVE Apprentice Engineer

I think it's just confusing for us that Keen is quite honestly extremely and reassuringly active in updating the game, yet they seem to take very little consideration in what any of the players actually want. They just go hard with updates, very much so investing time and resources into the game, but seemingly not for the only people that really benefit from it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

1. This is news to me. Where does it say this?
    2. Multi-threaded broken merge blocks are still broken. They've been broken for ... how long now? And one of the game's players finally fixed them by tweaking one line of code, after Keen hasn't fixed them for a very long time. That is ... not encouraging.

Do you have any idea how many years, and how many times, I have urged other players to be patient with Keen? The reason people keep bringing up the significance of the long-term players getting their jimmies rustled is because nothing has rustled our jimmies like this before. Not in three years.

But yeah. Please, continue being part of the silent majority. Please.

Love ya too, buttercup.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Heh.

It's been a while since the last time I wrote a relatively lengthy response to the gist of what I'm reading in the thread. I was really happy with what we did get in the update, and not at all surprised by what we didn't get. I suppose that's the fundamental difference between me and... some others. I don't expect things that have been an issue since the game came out to be fixed in the next update. It's not that I don't want them fixed, or that I don't believe they can be fixed, or that I don't think they care. None of that. I simply believe they are taking a very deliberate approach to building their game and their schedule is in direct conflict with some people's expectations. My hope is that they will continue to be careful, and not do something rash for the sake of public relations. I bought this game a bit over two years ago. I was satisfied with it then and I'm satisfied with it now. For me it has been a pure bonus that just about every week there's something I can have or do that I couldn't have or do before, and they're not done with that. It doesn't (and shouldn't) matter if I stop playing the game. They've probably already gotten all the money they're going to get from me for Space Engineers (although I am considering that package thing they offered a couple weeks ago or so). The only real money they can hope to expect will come from people that do not own the game now. Those are the people that need to be pleased. Sure, they have an interest in trying to make me happy so I don't spit on the ground any time someone who doesn't own the game asks me if I like it, but then maybe I don't like chocolate ice cream either so all they can really do is try to accomplish what they set out to do and hope to impress people that will actually reach into their pockets and give them some money. That's more on them than it is on me.

I would like to make an observation, in light of the fact that some people have been tossing out how many hours they have invested in the game and... what that should mean. Here's a screenshot of a ship I started working after I had roughly 100 hours in Space Engineers:
    [​IMG]
    The moon on the right was a vanilla skybox. The asteroids you can see are a subset of a total of 16 that existed in the entire world, which I believe was 20,000k so that I could play at a decent frame rate. No oxygen. No pirates. Just random cargo ships, which I had turned off so that I could get a decent frame rate. I built this ship with an idea of what I wanted it to do, and no idea how it was going to do it. My computer barely ran the game, the world took 45 minutes to load and crashed frequently, and the limited number and types of standard blocks made getting what you envisioned a challenge. Still, I had a blast. I kept playing.

For over 4,200 hours.

Here, still incomplete, is that ship today:
    [​IMG]

I didn't spend all 4,000 hours on this one ship. I have, in fact, a small fleet. It is still... difficult... for me to get them all in the same world without blowing a computer and taking down the internet, but when I made the ship in the first picture I had no idea whatsoever, not even the expectation, that I would have the ship in the second picture, not to mention the places I could take it and what might happen when I get there. I was happy back then. Now I'm ecstatic.

I don't have my head in the sand. There are a number if issues with the game that irk me to no end. I keep a good, sturdy pitchfork and two different types of torches nearby for when I think Keen has stepped in it, and I too wonder sometimes what they're thinking. Yet I still bristle when people state that there is a simple solution to a long-standing issue, yet they complain the loudest when what was a simple fix turned out to cause other problems, especially when they risk nothing by claiming a solution is simple, and Keen risks everything whenever they implement a solution.

It's OK, Keen. I don't like back-seat drivers either ;)

About the lens flare.

At first I liked it, then I didn't like it, then I thought, "Well, if you are near a planet that is habitable by Earth standards it would probably be close enough to the star that it would be that bright." Then I thought, "Still, in 2077 my helmet visor would compensate, and it would do so eloquently." After all, this ain't out first dance out here. I think anyone that really, really wants to be blinded by the sun would get a mod to do that (and probably lose any hope of having any friends). Although there might be some cinematic reasons to have the sun be that bright, I didn't have a single problem with the old sun. This is one of those times when I wonder what they're thinking. I'm not going ballistic because the game is still Early Access, which means it is subject to change, and probably will. It will be Early Access right up until the second it is Released so I don't want to hear about how long it has been available.

Anyways, what I am REALLY happy about is that everything that I had working before the update still works, and that's always a plus. That, and I can make cutscenes now.

Don't think I won't.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  21. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Holy... just saw the amount of Disagrees. I feel like Cercei cradeling Joffrey at the Purple Wedding; sure, he's been misbehaving, but... damn...
    (Reminder that it's a Disagree Button, not a Dislike Button. Just in case.)

I wish it WAS a glorified ship designing program. I mean it is, just not a glorified one. We're missing way too many integral blocks and functions for that. And in a program like that, visual clarity is vital.
    In fact i do not believe that this is a black and white problem. You COULD have Survival be "The Game" and Creative be "The Ship Designing Program", which is why one of my more livid expressions is "Do what you want in Survival but get this shit out of my Creative Mode." These two modes should be A LOT more different than they are. Creative needs more World Option checkboxes, more graphic options, expanded mirroring and spawning functionalities...

Planets weren't a problem. Them not doing jack with them is a problem. I'm starting to wonder if "Planets" wasn't received a bit... literally. And limited. Three planets is great, it's nice, but when everyone first (second and third) asked for them the talk has always been procedual generation. Which they started on; it just didn't work out.
    Here's the thing. I can enjoy populated but limited planets, or i can enjoy dead but explorable planets. As it stands i have three planets all in visual distance from each other, and all of them are dead except for Spiders, Wolves and Pirates i have to turn off because otherwise they wreck my shit or sink SimSpeed. Where's my Deers? Where's my birds? Where's my NPC faction hub? Where's everything?

This...

...but also this.

Because Marek hasn't touched SE development in a year or so. He's been working around the clock on GoodAI.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Malware Master Engineer

That's quite a funny statement, given where the planets come from in the first place... :p Planets are kinda the ultimate evidence that they do listen to the community...

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Cetric Junior Engineer

It's a habit. The "Thursday rant phenomenon", a spell cast by Lord Clang (yet uncredited). Has actually not to do with content., but with the desire to get noticed and feel like a "big name" on the scene. As I said previously, drama queens taking themselves too serious.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@Malware If i know the Captain right, then

[​IMG]

And i guess i can sympathize with that seeing how i'm in that position with a ton of decisions myself. And with planets... i don't want to say i'm changing my mind on them juuust yet but had i known they wouldn't actually do anything with them... i'm not sure if i would ask for them again. Then again - they've stated that SE was basically done before Planets became a thing so this might honestly not be a case of getting something better instead, just of getting the same a little bit earlier. And, i mean, Earthlike makes a nice backdrop for my Airship builds... i guess...

I'd be interested in a poll about what people think of Planets now that the game is homing in on Release but i feel like A) i already know and B) what'd be the point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Cetric Junior Engineer

When the community develops a remarkable, convincing idea, why should a software house not listen to it? Planets were one of those breathtaking turns, no doubt. And initiated a number of fresh contributions by the community in return. "Big names" or no big names alike. That's how this ship keeps flying. Not by guys leaving it via emergency capsules.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Harrekin Master Engineer

They "just added multithreading"?

Where?

What did they push to a parallel thread?

What was the performance gain (if any) compared to the work involved?

Did you know badly done multithreading can actually make performance worse?

Where is this magic information you have?

• Like Like x 2
  27. zorgkirill Apprentice Engineer

You still didn't fix that shit with "drivers update", three weeks in a row. Good job Keens! It was so easy to fix by commenting (or removing) that bugged feature at all, but you didn't manage to do even that. And knowing how fast you react and fix bugs, I should wait for around... 1-1.5 years...

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Everwake Trainee Engineer

I have looked at the video, and read all entries in this thread, and I still don't get it....

what will people be using the cutscene editor for? there are really no PVE elements in the game, PvP is not really a thing either unless you cound crashing ships into each other, or am I wrong?, I would like to be wrong as I would love a PVE/PVP universe with people battling it out in their self-made contraptions. but the cut scenes and the scenario editor where do those come in?
    While interresting it seems about as useful at this point in time like the concepy of say in-game currency would be.

I still enjoy creating weird space ships in SE, but since many features no longer work it is just a static display with an audience of 1, I even shut down my SE server as I realized that the effort to maintain it was not worth the non-existen multiplayer experience.

Any creative ideas on what to use the cutscene editor for? please share

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. zorgkirill Apprentice Engineer

It was "working" like this since the bug appeared. But with integrated graphics game is lagging, especially on planets. And if you "After doing change it back in the display settings to your graphic card.", the game asks to restart to apply this. If you apply this, you have grey screen and no game, if ignore - continue playing with lags on integrated graphics.

Look how ridiculously this "update drivers" feature works with this "workaround":
    1st warning (no matter what I press, it passes further, however my graphics card is "unsupported" LOL)
    [​IMG]

2nd warning (if I press "Ok", game quits and sends me to useless site, I should press "cancel" or escape")
    [​IMG]

3rd warning (if I do like it's said in warning, game asks to restart, and then refuses to launch, coz of "drivers update warning")
    [​IMG]

DEVS, JUST USE "//" OR "/* */ COMMENT TAGS, AND REMOVE THIS GARBAGE FROM EXECUTING AND SPOILING THE GAME FOR PLAYERS!

30. chrisb Senior Engineer

There are a certain 'few' getting too close to the project. Some modders, others here from the 'community'. This is bad for the game, the same happened at BI and Arma 3. Once you let the amateur DIY game makers in (modders), too close to the actual game making process.. It doesn’t work out well.

This along with a few voices that gain access to an ear that listens too much. Then the game suffers.

I mentioned this here before on the board, a while ago. I could see it coming.
    Its not good, the game suffers greatly along with the whole business.

Its just sad, with such a good game and great idea (the original idea, game concept and progress).
    Its changed direction because the eye has been taken off the ball (so as to speak).

Such a great shame.. :(

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.