Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.176 DEV - Cutscene Editor

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

300 hrs, how cute ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Sinbad Senior Engineer

I did. I knew it was early access alpha, but it looked like a promising idea. So i got a copy and tried to push the limits of what developers intended the block and feature set could do. Ive generated a few bug reports, a few suggestions, and i think ive generally managed to help figure out just how much awesome the engine can handle before it breaks.
    But, all of that is based on the asaumption that i would be working with the game as part of one half of the development cycle, with keen taking our data and acting on it as their side of the cycle. Which really doesnt feel like they are. Its at the point where folks are getting flamed for making bug reports on each new update because having bugs persist for dozens of updates has become the norm, so a report confirming a bug is still present and behaving the same way (or a different way) is seen by many as a duplicate report. We still need those reports every update as patch notes are... patchey at best, so we dont know if the devs were expecting the bugs to change or not. Its just so frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

They are so cute when they are this new. I've got way over 4000 hours in. You're still in noob-land. Let me know when you've got 1,000 hours in.
    --- Automerge ---
    Say... has anyone actually used the cutscene editor and have something to show for it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harrekin Master Engineer

Sure I know its early access and Ive done the bug reporting, etc too.

I expected the game to actually make progress though, it's actually less fun now than it was a couple years in the past.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. PLPM Junior Engineer

I remember when I joined the game. It was incredibly stable, almost absolutely no crashes, only when I did some weird Alt+Tab combo monstruosity, hell skyrim was much more unstable than SE first was, ALL of the gameplay felt solid, almost no phasing through objects, only in extreme cases would it happen.

It was SO much more solid than now, the problembeing how stagnated the gameplay in SE has become since a year, PLUS, how much more buggy that anemic gameplay has become.

Development should always go forward in SOME way, be it fixing bugs, OR, adding features (REAL features); right now, it´s the opposite, THAT, is why we´re complaining, the game has become MORE buggy, for NO real gameplay improvement, at all.

I´d just roll SE back to Alpha, it has no businness being in Beta in its current state, not yet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Harrekin Master Engineer

I agree, but was there a difference when they changed the name?

It seemed to me it went Beta right before the Christmas Sale on Steam, could be coincidence but likely not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

Here's the basic failing of the idea of a Cutscene Editor; We don't have anything to make cutscenes of.

There are no NPC characters to talk to, no fancy toys or mysterious objects outside of the blocks we've used thousands of times apiece to make ships work, and no real events to be triggered or played.

Maybe put some actual gameplay features in and then talk about making a cutscene editor to cover them.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Harrekin Master Engineer

Now you've hit the nail on the head :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Burillo Junior Engineer

yay penis hours played measuring contest, can i join?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Harrekin Master Engineer

It was meant in jest, at least on my part.

But it was to make the point that you hit a wall after a certain amount of hours where without functional mechanical blocks, limited gameplay features and due to just general bugs that building large projects is essentially pointless or at least insanely masochistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Are you still measuring yourself in minutes and seconds? :)

It's not so much about the boasting but establishing the fact that the people who are commenting aren't some babes in the woods.

12. Burillo Junior Engineer

i think the better thing to do would be to establish the fact that not everyone plays the same. some people just never use mechanical blocks, or don't use them that much. that doesn't mean those people are noobs, they just play the game differently from you. for example, i can't remember last time i used weapons, so for me, any bugs related to turrets are not only not game-breaking, they simply don't enter my radar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Harrekin Master Engineer

You don't need to be so triggered by the word "noob", it was used in a joking and non insulting way to highlight a separate yet important point.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. PLPM Junior Engineer

True but you don´t start discussing about how turrets aren´t broken when you´ve said yourself you don´t use them at all.

If you did, I could rightly be annoyed If all I did in SE was turret-related and you´re challenging me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bumber Senior Engineer

16. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

exactly...finding your way to the forums is

the death of dozens of new players will unknowingly thank the devs when they touch down ready to be mauled by wolfs,spiders. ^^
    broken circle of life.

17. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Sorta like a circle of death?

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Burillo Junior Engineer

yes, but the fact remains that we are two players, and we get different experiences from the game. i don't feel the apocalyptic "game is broken" vibe that has been in the last couple of weeks - for me (i.e. for what i do), the game works. naturally, i'm not alone, and some people like me might go and say "hey, it's not nearly as bad as you portray it", and that doesn't make them "noobs" and doesn't warrant condescending putdowns like this:
    a lot of us won't ever hit that wall, because that's not what our interest in the game is, and never hitting that wall doesn't make anyone "a noob" or "playing the game incorrectly" or some shit like that.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Cetric Junior Engineer

He gives a bit of psychologic insight about himself and his fellow nagger types. We should not give a damn about them judging who is noob and how many hours we're supposed to be in the game before they, the community-damagers, "accept" someone as equal.
    It reminds me of small boys in elementary school comparing the size of their ****** in the locker room for determining who is king of the hill...ehm... in pole position. Let him feel 'superior'... ;)
    --- Automerge ---
    I use all blocks I see fit. I have currently 75 mods in use. My ships tend to be functional in survival and they are certainly no empty hulls without functions. But you know it all, sure.
    Alright, I see upon start of a session a top turret starts shooting at some bogus enemy (a light, a mod gate). I simply rush to the console and switch it off. I don't make a drama for attention and won't call for apocalypse and game rage quit in the forum thereupon. If that makes me a 'noob' in your eyes, I feel comfortable with it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. sacksquatch Trainee Engineer

I was going to defend Cetric because of the hours=epeen I thought I saw, but I went back and read. At 300 hours I was still in awe of this game too. It takes a while for disappointment to set in after you have to constantly compromise on your projects to make them work. I think my first wall was around 650 mark. By gaming standards that's a badass game if you put 650 hours into it. If you've put over 1000 hours it's got to be in the top 5 all time games? This game is awesome, we all know that, we just want it to be better. That's the entire point of this thread IMO. It's not a bashing thread, but an emotional plea to get their house in order, or they're going to become a distant memory in the modern gaming space race. Empyrion's confirmed next step are AI ships. They are bound to be better than private sails from the start for a game whose PVE content already dwarfs SE's. Though that's not hard to do when SEs PVE content seems more like awkward placeholders than actual features.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

It's funny how you started this e-peen measuring contest and then get all defensive once you realize how small yours is :woot:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. JamesG Trainee Engineer

Every now and then I come back here to see if the game's problems are being fixed.

I'd actually like to play this game again, but the frustration factor needs to be reasonable, know what I mean?

A lot of comments here are scathing of late. A lot of unhappy people.

Should I keep on checking, or is all hope lost?

By the way: when things just won't quit going badly with a team of people, the problem is usually at the leadership level. Not always. But usually.

23. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Yes...there have been a lot of scathing comments of late, but do not be too downhearted. What annoyed the forum people was some bad choice by Keen. There were a bundle of annoying bugs and a few equally annoying design choices which were upsetting people from a previous patch. Everyone was expecting these things to get addressed as they were relatively simple tweaks to changes made. None of this happened.
    The devs were focusing on trying to get a new HUD launched, but this didn;t happen either.....so what you got was a lot of people expecting fixes that didn't happen mixed with something else that didn;t happen.

That triggered the people who were experiencing issues .... AND the people expecting something new to try.

Hopefully....today will at least see the welders revisited and the lens flare toned down and that should ease the heat a little. Maybe the HUD will come out, but I hope the focus stays on bugfixes over new features, and the HUD only comes out when it is actually ready. Not sooner.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Cetric Junior Engineer

Nope. He started by questioning my experience with SE.
    And by trying to involve me in a "Who was first - who is guilty" game you prove to be not much beyond elementary school level either. That's kids stuff. And now keep off things which don't concern you.
    This game deserves a community supportive to the game development and not a stage for bitching and provocations to conflicts which only serve your vanity. If you feel you have a deficit in entertainment, brush off your aggressions in some ego shooter game and let others express their sympathies for the developers.

25. Killacyte Senior Engineer

You should note that the post you responded to was not even from Harrekin.

26. Cetric Junior Engineer

Mostly fine with me what you are saying. Note that I wasn't the only one here pissed off by overreacting drama queens and their rants against the developer team. This Japanese guy instantly got mad at the conversational tone exposed here. If the critics of "far experienced players" of 600... 1000 hours of game play have to be forwarded in such rude manner, it hardly serves the purpose you are indicating at here (to help the game improve). Picture us in an employment getting "encouraged" by rants, nagging and threatening. You hardly become a good employee under such harsh treatment. You just think your "f*** yourself" and retreat into inner reservation. No more eagerness and burning for the tasks of your job. Similar could happen to KEEN staff constantly exposed to bad treatment by the troubleseekers here. This is not the way you would encourage someone to do excellent work. On the contrary. People may feel like a "big name" for 1000 hours in the game, four years on the forum, having published mods, but that does not give them the right to abuse the developers. For your 1000 hours you got the most out of your 20, 30 bucks you spent on the game years ago. That alone should teach respect. There are high price titles by major game studios which you can dump after playing through once, and I mean not 1000 and not even 300 hours, but maybe 10 (!).
    Issues are being addressed, but they cannot be ordered and commanded as if you were CEO of Keen SWH. People act as if they owned half the company in shares.

27. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

I think you need to maybe take a step back and spend a day or two away from the internet if you think we're getting overly aggressive, because anyone in a professional environment with a user base will, and needs to, be able to take criticism and we've been pretty damn constructive about ours. It's how any form of quality product or entertainment gets produced, for one thing (Take a look sometime at something like Half Life 2 or Portal's commentary tracks about how many things got changed due to player feedback in testing). Blanket cheerleading with zero negativity gets you nowhere, and in fact generally acts to the detriment of anything because it just paves over underlying issues. None of us have made personal insults at KSH, we've commented on some very shoddy professional coding practices they've been employing that at least a few of us have experience with.

There is a massive world of difference between "this is not how a coding function should be debugged and should've been caught weeks ago" and "YOU PEOPLE ALL SUCK AND ARE TERRIBLE AND AND I HATE YOU ALL!"

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

You didnt buy finished game, if you was realy testing games you would know how lucky you are with SE.

29. Harrekin Master Engineer

We bought a game that would be finished and work properly eventually, the amount of hours played prerelease for money spent is irrelevant.

30. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

You are incredibly ignorant to think that criticism constitutes a lack of support. We are the testers, and given that we bought this product, we have every right to voice our opinions. Your complaining does not diminish that fact.

You are more than welcome to support the game without bitching about others' valid criticisms.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.