Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.177 DEV - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Everwake Trainee Engineer

loads up my creative world, game crashes to desktop.
    loads up my creative world again, turrets are suddenly set to target neutrals, the ship and the base I'm building promptly shoot each other to pieces - reload with block damage off to turn the turrets off.

reload and try docking two large grids together, when powering off the merge block and disconnecting the connector both ships become frozen in mid space, locked in position a few meters apart with thrusters firing seemingly at random in every direction, all rotors start to shake violently and 10s later everything explodes.

reload and try just disconnecting the merge blocks, same result.

And no, I will not do a cutscene of how to blow up to docked large grids, but I will be back next week, the block rotation thing at least sounds promising.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

On the Block Placement.
    Very nice and simple. I like the new block placement ability. I was dealing with trying to place a refinery AND a medbay upon a single, or as few blocks as I could for time and resource economy and was disappointed I could not pull it off the way I wanted. This new adjustment seems like it would remedy that. It is welcome. A simple feature, but hopefully not adding any new bugs!

ON THE HUD.
    I hope you are adding the ability to group GPS locations (at least at some point). IE: when I set a GPS location I have a check box in the K menu that will allow me to assign it to a standard group such as (planet, station, roid, Ore type, hostile area) or set a user defined Tag such as (roid cluster A, Roid cluster B, enemy base, or whatever).

THEN>.. Allow me to hot key a few of those types and my tags so that if I take damage I could hit a hot key and show my user defined tag, "Dock/Repair Facilities" and allow me to quickly determine which way I need to hope I am floating as I slowly dissolve into debris at the hands of Clang. There just simply needs to be better filters and more than a simple on/off of ALL marked GPS items to show. I should be able to delimit what shows on my HUD via some standard and user assignable hotkeys. Please. This would greatly enhance immersion.

K Menu:
    Also.. ANYTHING that keeps me away from the K menu is great for my immersion! It's a menu, not a first person display so it takes away from that immersion that only a space game can give.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ghofmann Trainee Engineer

The HUD will be released when it's ready. Get off your high horse.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

I'm sort of midterm about this. I believe games should be friendly to players - specially novice ones - but Welder damage is an actual engineering problem that can be solved in-game. IMHO weld and damage radius should be equal, as long as it's consistent (players shouldn't be killed outside welding radius, and Welders can't be able to weld themselves) and balanced to the point that Sensors can avoid a player being killed (assuming full health, of course).

I'm really sorry if that happened to you. This mayhem happened to me years ago, and I got so mad that I switched to Creative and never looked back. Hope things get better.

5. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

Okay update, hope the block placement helps. Still no fix for merge blocks? I long to projection weld again. Had to shelve a project I was working on because of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

The problem with the HUD is, quite bluntly, that it's basically just visual design. And if they teased it now... well, it's obviously not ready yet so it's not just likely but almost guaranteed that it's going to change from whatever iteration it's in now to the finished product.
    Thus, if they showed it right now, they'd likely show us something that's not going to actually make it - and people would flip their shit over "false advertising".

Plus i hate teasers and @Xocliw fears my wrath.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

On the other hand, they may be sweating the HUD thing way too much. They are about to change something that has been the same since the game game out. That means it's DOA for some players, and the rest will be pissed because Keen didn't do it the way they thought was best. Let's face it, whenever it comes out and whatever it looks like there WILL be drama here. They should stop postponing the inevitable, put out the HUD they have, let the drama commence, and in a month or two we all forget what the old HUD looked like.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Thorsaken Trainee Engineer

\O/ Yay for improved block placement and welders back to normal.

..If you put your hand on a stove that is still on and burn yourself is it the stoves fault or yours?
    New players walking in front of welders...so what..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. gothosan Junior Engineer

And no fix to the problem where the screen is white, I have Nvidia GeForce GPU, why the game wants to use Intel card??
    Counting a month and two weeks now of not playing due to this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ryuuji Apprentice Engineer

And still crash to desktop when trying to show gravity generator range.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. LATENT PRECISE-IMPOSER Apprentice Engineer

cannot weld on merge blocks if they are blueprints..

I guess torps are out of the question

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

in b4 the new hud....heh heh

chances are... :p .....people aren't going to like it.
    There'll always be players that just won't like it because its new.
    the worst part is i know i might be one.....still don't enjoy the starbound toolbar versus its old one.....something to do with instruments

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Svennarthing Trainee Engineer

I'm all for the HUD being delayed until it's fully completed. Moreso my concern resides in the fact that it was more or less stated that the HUD was the reason the update was delayed. Sort of implied it was part of the very update they had delayed. Semantics really.
    --- Automerge ---
    Well this was uncalled for. If you thought I was riding some manner of high horse I assure you that was never my intention and I'm sorry you took it that way! I was simply asking--

"The update was stated as being delayed due to HUD related issues, therefore should I assume the HUD is involved in said update, or only loosely related?"

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. Silentfighter89 Trainee Engineer

@Commander Rotal your right but I somehow miss the teaser music at the end of the xoc quote.:D:p

15. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Nah, teasers are great. It looks like it's the only way we'll experience some of the content.

@cough@ Pistol @cough@

@cough@ Path-finding astronaut @cough@

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. KissSh0t Master Engineer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Late Late x 2
  17. Llessur Apprentice Engineer

I am confused we spent how many weeks waiting for a welder fix that YOU GUYS/GALS broke that you have spent how long claiming "Something new is in the works" just to finally drop a revert and to tell us oh the radius for damage and welding need to be different so we will work on that later? This is why people get mad you guys either dont talk to each other or stuff is just blatantly made up. Look at last week the update was made to seem to be delayed due to the error with the HUD and now its no where to be seen slapped in the SOON bin with so much other shit. I dont know if its a language barrier or what but if so take a million from GoodAI and hire a public guy.

EDIT:Typo

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 8
  18. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

This isn't an acceptable reason in the slightest. If your 'update' to a feature doesn't work, you revert the hell out of it to the version that did until you can make it function. Especially when it's a single line of code that's proven to work in the still-functional version of the block.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

maybe last time they massively reduced the range

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Arcturus Senior Engineer

There is a one-line fix in cubeblocks.sbc. Someone made a mod to add the missing mount point, I forget where I saw the link but another reader will likely be able to jump in with it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. aetherbeetz Trainee Engineer

Whiplash got that one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871464450&searchtext=

I love the picture of the code lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. zorgkirill Apprentice Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Source? Because that doesn't sound like a bug, at least not a bug that anyone would report.

Notwithstanding, It would make more sense to seamlessly transition from one working system to another different working system. Leaving it broken when a one-line fix is possible is odd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I mean... it wasn't a lie... he just forgot to the phrase "back to their initial state" :D
    --- Automerge ---
    Click me!

Edit: Oops, I just realized that someone else provided the link already :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Yup...the merge block issue is simply down to a missed out attachment point on the block. That really should have been included in the patch.

The welder thing wasn't a bug....it was a design choice. Not a good one...and one that was reverted back this patch. Technically not a bugfix.....but I for one and glad it was done! The fact that Keen are now looking to seperate the active range of the welder from the damage range means they still feel there was a change needed....but that they do realise that they can do it without upsetting people too. I have no idea how complex the code changes will be to do that, as it may involve duplicating a lot of stuff and creating seperate variables. I wouldn't presume to say it was a simple change or that they should have done it by now. There is plenty of time for the mob to sharpen their pitchforks over the next few weeks and THEN say that if it still hasn't happened :)

As far as the HUD goes, I suspect it's a lot more than simply graphical updates. If the 'new' HUD is just the old one in a different order, then yes...that's what it is. IF it goes a lot further, then it will probably involve a LOT more code changes, allowing more to be done with the HUD. Of course.....we would need to see the new HUD to know and pass judgement......so hands up who knows what it looks like and what it does?

There was a comment passed about Keen hiring a PR guy....er....they already have one? Xocliw. But a PR guy can only tell the community what he is ALLOWED to tell, as he will be under strict NDA rules. What we know is decided by the management team. The PR guy just decides how we hear it.

I'm no Keen fanboi....but I like to judge what I see, not what I can't. If Keen move in the right direction....I will cheer. If the move in the wrong direction...I jeer. After a couple of weeks of jeering.....it's nice to have something to cheer again :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  26. Llessur Apprentice Engineer

It was me who commented about the PR guy and I didnt know they had one is he the guy who does these streams? If so while his efforts in that department are nice maybe a forum post or something for those of us who don't get a chance to watch skim some information maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  27. NumberR09 Trainee Engineer

Here's what I'm going to do. All you Space Engineers YouTubers, I am boycotting your content. If I was subscribed, I'm now unsubbed. I've told YouTube I'm not interested in SE vajayhoes any more. I am not interested in supporting you supporting Keen. Maybe when Keen gets their shit together I'll be more supportive. With the way things are going now, it doesn't look promising. Good luck fellas.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  28. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Yep...@Xocliw does the streams. A couple of times a week on Space Engineers, though he does stream other stuff too. He also does the update vids :)

One thing that he has started doing that is worth picking up ( you can watch the recordings of the streams ) is a post patch review of the update. He basically re-runs the video and goes into a bit more detail on the issues. The watchers in chat then throw in their thoughts which Xocliw then can feed back to the developers along with the posts on here and the bug reports. It's quite a useful exercise. Throw in an occasional straw-poll, and you can get some feedback on community opinions live. It is a relatively small cross section of the community, I grant you, but it is a pretty well informed slice.

I think you have a very good point in terms of a forum post. Maybe a summary of the post patch feelings, fleshed out with feedback from the streams and including some idea of the planned responses from the development team. might help to bring together the various aspects of the community. I know it can be tricky to find time to watch streams ( especially when you are in a different timezone ) and that might help include a few more of those who simply can't make it. I'll mention it on the next stream as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  29. Roxette Senior Engineer

There is a lack of evidence to support this theory of the existence of a management team. There are certainly many good players in the development team, but the lack of effective guidance and management is frequently painfully obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. jondios Trainee Engineer

• My CPU cores whhen I play this game:
    • [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.