Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.178.3 Minor - Dead Drop Arena, New Update Release System

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

I noticed too, go along with it, they're changing the updat system

2. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

@Ronin1973
    First bit, by 'even mix' I was implying an even mix of all play styles (some are 100% creative/survival, some are heavy into scripting etc etc so may not see something others would), not a literal 50/50 of people. Also the two modes we have in SE are survival and creative so of course I referenced them as a general thing (it was just a Twitch message so couldn't exactly go into depth). Second there's more than just blender I'm sure (other games aswell) and I'm sorry but it does sound that way.

That bit confuses me, it's a narrow part of the game but everyone does it??? Surely that makes it kinda important...

For the rest of it-
    Fully aware most aspects and functions are interchangeable, but each mode has it's quirks and separate functions too, all of which would require attention in testing.
    I'm in a minority I guess (being a SP person and enjoying building in survival for just the reason you point out) but still a part of the community so surely can voice my concerns about a lack of PvE and building improvements (which applies to SP, MP and creative/survival)?
    As far as MP goes, I know its important, more so these days yes, but when people get online and find the sand box is just a box with no sand (an exaggeration), they're going to be rightly miffed I'd expect. The point I was trying to make is that I'm concerned that if they focus 'everything' on it the rest of the game -might- suffer.

3. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I am really looking forward to seeing what the new hud looks like.

4. quarter Trainee Engineer

Great update. There is hope that I may be able to use some favorite broken mods again.

I would like to see some attention given to the problem with new games starting with the same seed. I generally restart new games fairly frequently, mostly sole survivor, but I haven't since early January because the game starts with exactly the same asteroids, minerals, etc. every time. Unless there's some feature introduced that I missed, this really needs to get fixed.

5. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Oh s---, this is huge.

6. damoran Junior Engineer

Overall I'm ok with these changes; however some of the stuff Marek was saying didn't really set me at ease.

I have a really hard time understanding him but the whole "original feeling" speech sounded to me like a "this is my game not yours so be happy for what it is".

The "adding progression" sounds like, locking certain tiers of tools to a leveling or crafting system of some kind. I don't have an issue with that per se but I really hope it's involves more than better tools take more resources.

The HUD looks slightly better but the control panel menus to me seem like just a grey skin for what is there now. I was really hoping for more control over the various blocks, places we could enter numbers rather than using sliders, the ability to change the colors of engine exhaust stuff like that.

P.S. that scenario looks great, well done.

7. PLPM Junior Engineer

To be fair, he is in all rights to say that, it is HIS game, we´re just riding this horse giving suggestions and feedback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, Commander, there is indeed at least one other person that is a bit more than a little miffed that scenarios tend to be combat-centric. My 4000+ hours in the game have been devoted to mining. I have created a fleet of ships designed to find, extract, transport and refine ore. The challenge has been to get them to function in a convincing manner, which has proved to be somewhat difficult. On the other hand, if I want to make a fighter or carrier or tank I have a kabillion assets to choose from, both vanilla and mods. The name of the game does not include any works like "battle" or "wars" or even "conflict", yet it seems as if that's the only thing players want to do. It IS possible to have a video game in which the winning conditions don't include the death of your opponent, but if the game is played in space you don't get that choice. SE is the only space game I am aware of that does not have fighting as its core feature, but it seems the vast majority of those that will share their thoughts in this and other forums either believe SE is a fighting game and sucks or at least needs help because it's not a very good one or they believe SE will not reach its "potential" unless or until the fighting mechanics are brought in line with or surpass all other space games. "Engineering" in SE is only valid if the thing you are engineering is a weapon. People say there's "nothing to do" in SE yet have no problem blowing anything that so much as shows up on their HUD to smithereens. It doesn't even seem to matter that SE has no melee mechanic (which speaks VOLUMES about Keen's vision of the game).

I'm not saying SE should be devoid of any conflict. That would be unrealistic. ANY scenario that involves mining will inevitably involve conflict. The reasons for conflict should go beyond just because "the other guy is there." You should fight to keep your stuff or fight to take someone else's stuff. Fighting just to see who would win has been done to death in all those other space games. How about a game where you fight if you have to but that doesn't have to be the only solution?

Me neither. I think I got wheels figured out, though :) . Thing about SE is that you can spend a considerable amount of time on a limited subset of possible activities. I've built ships and vehicles that can do some complicated things, but I have yet to set up a timer block or use a programmable block. I have placed a lot of blocks but I'm totally unaware of what components are needed and how many, not to mention what ore is needed to make the components and how long that takes. I guess that means a whole nuther 4000 hours for me to figure that out ;)

I didn't get that but I hope it's true. The most successful games are the ones where the developers make the game THEY want to play, then stick to their guns. I hope all the effort out there to warp Keen's vision of Space Engineers into DangerousStarSpaceTrekGateWarsOnline gets ignored and that game where you build, work and live in space in or around 2077 using technology extrapolated from current existing (not theoretical or hypothetical) technology is still the game Keen Software House is attempting to produce.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Oh baby dat UI :)

10. BiZZ Keryear Apprentice Engineer

Oh! Seems I am a bit more out of touch than I thought. Game stopped working for me for a while (turns out some video decoder collided with SE and ME video wallpapers) resulting in me not playing many versions.
    Since they are in pistons were known to be buggy, so assumed that wasn't fixed ... anyway this new bug seems especially annoying (since groups of pistons is the only way to make certain things not bend). I can only assume that it is some code hiding in the endless lines of the program somewhere and not found, yet.

I also hope it is soon fixed... though SE is not in the list of games I will play anytime soon ... (way to many game or way too little time)
    --- Automerge ---
    What does your steam say ... I still have all the old branches.... Ah damn it ... I don't play it soon anyway, I'll wait till it's sorted out.

11. Lex_Liven Trainee Engineer

To your HUD teaser: Just add black strokeout to white letters! We need nothing more!

12. FlyPunch Trainee Engineer

Finally some testing will be done prior to update! Thank you so much, everybody who pointed it out for last 2 years! Yaaay!

13. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

In theory yes but they do not work like that in large grids. I have a 10 refinery set up, 1 for each item with sorters but it still dumps ore in random ones occasionally. Sometimes it works though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. I23I7 ME Tester

Best signature i have read in a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

You need to remember that even though you are 90% non pvp, theres a lot of us who are 90% pvp. Its not all about 1 playstyle and tbh pvp is among the most underdeveloped parts of the game currently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. puttyEngineer Trainee Engineer

Dead Drop Arena is the most exciting thing from this update, yet nobody is hosting it... :p

17. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

Probably with lots of new weapons?

18. Sir_Moodz Apprentice Engineer

I tried hosting a server on a "asteroid field" map where you can choose from several fighters to spawn in and do some battles. Nobody joined it for several hours, so I just gave up :D

19. Bings Trainee Engineer

I like the new layout of the HUD. I hope the transparency is still editable and also the colours will be editable. This is a bit unreadable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I think combat with AI or other players is the only challenge in the game currently. I think people just get funneled towards that end. The rest of the game is pretty easy. Survival doesn't really feel like you're surviving. You're not really making any choices that will affect your character or gameplay for more than a few minutes. For a moment we had the challenge of getting to outerspace from a planetary start. But even that's pretty easy to do. Planetary AI is pretty passive unless you turn on wolves/spiders. But one small turret will happily mow them down in a non-ending cycle of free loot. You can just set your range to like 50 meters and farm them for as long as the ammo holds out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Livo Trainee Engineer

In previous forum I asked for an advice whether MP is worth trying (after years). Did not received any answer thus I tried.
    Server nitrado, latency 20ms round trip, vanilla ...

1. Most of the time I get: high latency multiplayer error message
    2. A torso of never finished ship started to jump around eventually taking off somewhere
    3. Server crashes every two hours due to some missing object or something
    4. Some objects drop from inventory disappear
    5. Clipping through textures or even falling through planet when drilling with hand drill
    6. When flying textures are flickering often
    7. What is certainly design but (no comment) Why the hell we lose everything in inventory upon exit?
    I would not mind much if game was not crashing but this way I just keep losing all my stuff.

Game, however looks a lot better, nice sound, new textures, nice sky..... but for MP this is just polish.

Am I really the only one around here having these issues in MP ?

22. Azunai Trainee Engineer

Anyone else who has issues with projectors since patch?
    the parts i build vanish till i reconnect, so i literaly have to reconnect 100 times if the grid is 100 blocks in a row -_-
    edit: also seems to cause server crashes

@Livo
    maybe its your server but most of the things you descibed dont happen on the one i play on (at least not during the last 200 hours)

23. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

@Mike55520

(edited quote to remove non relevant stuff)

I was just just voicing my personal concerns, I never said they -shouldn't- work on the PvP/MP stuff and acknowledge it's importance... are non PvP people not allowed to have concerns too? Even if I'm in a minority group in how I choose to play (I acknowledge that too) that shouldn't matter as it's still a valid playstyle is it not? At this rate I'll just go back to lurking and bug reports only, defending myself like this sets off my anxiety.

(edited to stop everything being a link... weird)

24. damoran Junior Engineer

Yeah I'd be fine with this statement as well if he seemed involved throughout the development of SE, but I've been around long enough to see him essentially back away from the project to work on good AI, try to find another CEO to replace himself and now it seems he's decided to get back on track. Which I am happy about, the train needs a driver, please!

@Stardriver907
    You're absolutely right, that was the games original concept as we all understood it. It might be my misunderstanding his words but his statement of "the feeling was always of this 3D world that reacts to the player as you would intuitively think it would" is much less specific.

I would ask, do you think either of those concepts are SE?

Does the world respond in a way you would expect?

It is believable tech for 2077 where you work/live in space?

• Like Like x 1
  25. Everwake Trainee Engineer

love the new release schedule, but what actually worries me is Marek's "vision" for space engineers, he wants to add progression, he wants a universe where you can affect and change everything....but when will they add a reason to actually do so?
    I like building weird contraptions in creative, multiplayer is still not good enough to be playable, PVE elements are non-existent, there is no survival aspect to the survival game mode.

the PVP arena thing will be fun for an hour, but I won't try it since none of my friends would load up the game for that, the rest of Space engineers remains an empty universe.
    I still fantasize of the day when me an a few friends could take a mining and colonization fleet filled with self-designed vessels on an expedition through space only to encounter another faction, but being realistic I don't think the game will ever get there.

Not trying to sound depressing here, but the "vision" and the efforts (like cutscenes) have very little to do with the space engineers game I load up every week.

• Agree Agree x 4
  26. gchristopher Apprentice Engineer

Hey, they added in the missing inverse window facings! Nice to see that completed! :)

27. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

So, we got a followup patch, but what was in it?

Are we supposed to keep reporting/testing bugs you've already fixed without telling us?

Changelog notes Keen! :stare:

28. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

I think your anxiety set off your defending not the other way around. You werent being attacked. Whats the point of discussion if you get offended by an opposing view? Everyone here focuses only on their side and never supports the other. Failing to realize we are all stuck in here.

29. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

@Mike55520 Quite possible. I'm not offended, the first response I got from Ronnin felt on the combative side, guess it got me in that mindset. As I said all I was doing was voicing an opinion, I never said they should do or prioritise this or that (as I do know there are many other views/etc), just that I hoped they didn't forget about certain things in favour of others. Others have said very similar and not had these responses so yeah. I apologise if I've taken things the wrong way, and shall bow out.

30. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Its gonna be ok mang.
    These forums are known for militant opposition to x or y or z just remember we arent all like that

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.