Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.178.3 Minor - Dead Drop Arena, New Update Release System

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Dantheotherone

Where this idea came from (If my memory serves me correctly) was, in the beginning, they were tossing around ideas of what to put in the game and this was one of them.

What brought it back into the forefront was the recent bug/glitch in the Star System where you were deposited on an ice lake with no respawn ship.

I agree that the "suit equipped" refinery and assembler would have to be limited. Maybe tie it in with the carrying capacity or some kind of balancing.
    Also when you were able to upgrade to full sized, you could disassemble them into their basic components just like grinders, welders and etc.

I see a scenario where you were a stowaway on a freighter and they booted you out of an airlock.
    Then you would have to wisely choose which priorities to accomplish first, be it energy, oxygen, or hydrogen.

Another one would be where you crash landed and there was little to salvage from it. At the very least they could be used to repair the damaged ship refinery and assembler.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Korfio

Time to split cubeblocks.sbc into smaller files then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zDeveloper10

well that's scary. it's more work for everyone if age old bugs come back if someone submits work that took a while to make.imo they should have a way of reviewing changes so that it integrates smoothly instead of clobbering...

4. Stardriver907

I think the biggest problem here is calling it Survival in the first place. "Survival" implies a rescue. There isn't even any mechanic in the game that if you manage to build a ship to get off that planet you crashed on, one of those cargo ships out there will be "friendly", pick you up and take you to the nearest station. What's weird is starting the game by crash landing in a ship that can barely support you and generally ending up leaving the planet in a ship ten times as good. It's as if crash landing is the best thing you can do to "survive" in SE :D.

They should just call it Regular play or Normal play, mainly just to distinguish it from Creative, which is more of a building/debug setting. I play Creative almost exclusively but I don't consider it "The Game."

What actually happens in "survival" is pretty much up to the player. If you play alone then you only have to "survive" what the game throws at you, which isn
    t much because people wouldn't play it. I know some people might say they could handle that, to which I say play your game by yourself with meteors set to Armageddon and then come back and tell us how much fun that was. Better yet, run a server with that setting and see how many players you get.

I believe pirates, spiders and wolves, and even meteors are just placeholder elements that could become less annoying and more menacing. I personally think it's best if no menace can be held off by a single player indefinitely. One should either seek assistance or flee.

I think so. Perhaps not as well as I would like, but since I can't write my own game SE will do.

Not entirely, but I understand compromises have been made. For instance, it's a bit disconcerting to aim my ship at a planet and during the trip the sun orbits me. It's like what kind of crazy flight plan did my Navigator come up with, or do I need to drug test the pilot?

Well, the only tech I have, and have always had, a problem with is artificial gravity and the "jump drive". Those things will not be "off-the-shelf" tech in 2077. Even if someone figured out how to do it by the time you're done reading this it would still be way more than 60 years before it became "mainstream" tech because it's dangerous. Sixty years ago they said home nuclear generators would be a thing. Got one at your house?

What makes the tech in the game plausible is the fact that we can compare what's in the game to real life. I applaud Keen's firm stance on any other "deviations" ( and I would hope that they would just consider renaming the gravity generator as an electrostatic field generator (which is real, current technology), but there's some real handy tech out there that should be in the game (in my opinion) but isn't. There's no chemicals to be had or made, and the same goes for organic compounds. Those items are more likely to be found in abundance on planets, and these days people seem to be hungry for a reason to visit planets.

So, yes, I believe the tech is believable for 2077 or thereabouts and will probably remains so, but there's room for more development.

As for the problems some people are experiencing, including the fixes that seemed to come and go, or never happen, i can only say that your experience my differ from others. I streamed my game yesterday for just shy of 11 hours and the only problem was painfully low frame rate issues that have more to do with my totally NOT a gaming computer and what I'm doing in the game than the game itself. In particular, the "pistons and rotors issues" are nearly exclusively MP issues, so when people say they're not "fixed" I think they need to be a bit more specific. I believe sometime some people may be... confused... by what a piston should or should not be able to do, and if it breaks while doing something maybe it shouldn't be able to do then it must be "broken." I believe pistons and rotors should be capable of more than they are currently, so when I do use them I don't expect much, therefore I am more times than not pleasantly surprised. If they don't work then I chalk it up to being too ambitious and try something else. If you know me or have seen my builds you know there's nothing I won't try. At the same time I'm not going to keep trying something that doesn't work. Thing about SE is that there's always another way ;)

5. gchristopher

Conveyor networks seem very fragile in this release, prone to not working with UI interactions.

I wonder what changed?

6. MajorTom

Before you write another damn line of code, KSH; force a Pull from last week's build post-hotfix onto EVERY coder's computer and find whoever is working on obscenely-outdated code.

Then smack them round the head on behalf of the playerbase. Once for each of us.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SchmoJoe

I tried to but my server wouldn't load it. Any other world worked except for Dead Drop Arena (DDA).

Anyone know why?

8. Forcedminer

I'd love something like that...obviously it should be very slow so if a players ship was a wreck they'd still be down and out for sometime before cropping back up.
    I've used small ship Refineries and assemblers "Cliffie's Tiny Refinery" before and they're always nice to have to recover and so some small stuff on the side but they're extremely slow. :p but better than suicide and magically poping back into the world with a fresh new spawn
    --- Automerge ---
    that would be utter genocide though :D

9. Thrak

Anyone else notice that turrets don't fire at incoming drones now unless the "Moving Objects" option is turned on? Didn't used to be this way....

10. AlchemicalAgent

I know there are some options in the DS config file for running scenario games. Not sure if those have to be changed or not. I just hosted a local Dead Drop game because I didn't want to mess with my current DS world.

11. SchmoJoe

That would be it. Thanks for the help!!!!

12. Forcedminer

yeah i hate that....part of me feels you could easily just build armor blocks and launch them at bases because the turrets can't fire on them without "moving objects" turned on....and even with those turret on they tend to fire at ANYTHING.

which sucks because i feel like this feature where if you build an object while moving at speed it keeps the same speed as you...could be used to trash a pirate or player base at range only needing a handful of steel plates.

13. Echillion

Yeah theres another one today Monday so theres been 2 hotfixes since Thursday and still no notes.....

14. Forcedminer

on a plus side i was able to join a server with no mods and +5 players and it was constantly 1.00 sim speed.
    only that floating Jesus thing was in effect. :p

so i was doing alot of this.
    [​IMG]

15. Outfrost

I and many people I know and play with are having more game breaking issues with multiplayer than we had before the new netcode arrived. That's our experience and that's why I'm saying this. Back then, you could count on the game to render all grids within your view distance properly, to not show you HUD markers you're not supposed to be seeing, to not send a ship flying high in the sky when in reality it's standing firmly on the ground, to show you ships right where they really are (instead of 5 metres to the right and 2 metres up), etc. Essentially, back then, when something fell out of sync, it was promptly re-synchronised and back in order. The same cannot be said about the current netcode, which can only stay synchronised in a nonexistent perfect scenario, where both the server and the client always come to the exact same conclusions in their simulations - and even then there will be discrepancies because of the server failing to register player input from the client.

16. gchristopher

Okay, that's true, that the new netcode has problems like synchronization. But that's because it actually DOES selective synchronization and a lot of other things that a real netcode needs to do.

The old netcode simply didn't work for many players, ever. The game ground to a halt. Multiplayer simply wasn't playable with any real player activity on the original code. It was a placeholder for eventually writing and polishing real netcode, which hopefully they're working on now. :p

17. Outfrost

That's the problem - I'm sure it does a lot of great things behind the scenes, but synchronisation seems like a side feature right now. Without proper synchronisation of all world data and gamestate we won't have good netcode. We might be able to have more players on a server right now (though still not that many) and keep simulation speed up, but it becomes pointless when the clients are seeing and simulating different things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sir_Moodz

Hud Hud Hud, Hud Hud Hud Hud Hud Hud, Hud Hud Hud Huuuuud, Hud Hud
    Hud Hud

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. GDI-BOSS

My turrets dont fire too,modeled turrets or vanilla,dont shoot to anything...

20. Arcturus

I noticed an increase in reported turret bugs around the time that the new drone behaviours and visual scripting was implemented.

21. Thrak

This current issue is new with this latest update, however-- perhaps not surprising considering that this update modified turret behavior, right?

You have to have "Moving Objects" on to get any response from turrets. Keen-- is this intended now?

22. JuStX2

Well it was definitely better than what we have now - but it wasn't as advanced or as streamlined - but in it's favor it didn't lag so bad and didn't crash every 5 - 10 minutes. Personally Planets did the most damage - huge part of "band-aided public relations" on Keen's Part caused more issues than it was worth. Keen has lost my faith anyway - but I still hope that someone will revive space engineers spark someday.

23. Sir_Moodz

Hud Hud, Hud Hud Hud Hud, Hud Hud Hud Hud, Huuuuud Huuuuud, Hud Hud Huuuud Huuuud, Hud Hud Hud....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Auhrii

"NEW" tag removed, F5 squadron reporting?

25. Sir_Moodz

There is a 0% chance for the Hud to release today, yet a 95% chance for it to release next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. DigitalStone

Uhmmm, did Keen just removed the Mars monolith?

I'm at Olympus Mons and can't see the monolith anywhere in the crater where it once was.
    Survival mode, Monolith achievement not obtained.

• Informative Informative x 1
  27. Auhrii

I think it keeps getting hit by trash cleanup, as it's technically an unpowered, single-block grid.

• Like Like x 1
  28. eviltek2099

and 100% chance that Sync issues in multiplayer will NOT be fixed but we will get some more fluff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Timotei~

Looks like today's hype level is:
    |----[]----------------------|:(
    This is a good thing because it mean we won't be disappointed when update get out.

Not getting disappointed hype:
    |----------------------[]----|:tu:

30. DigitalStone

Ah thanks, that would actually explain a lot.
    Now yet to see if it is true :)