Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.180.1 Minor - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. alejandrozq Trainee Engineer

so, i guess is time to put some more weapons, ladders and elevators for the stations and ships, so i made elevators with pistons but it takes a lot of space, and thanks for the fixes, my satellites in orbit of the planets wasnt working till today, but now they are working as its suposed.

2. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

I'm getting really good at skipping over Xocliw "quotes to end on" got it one try this time.

"basic assembler" guess the old one is going to get renamed or removed. Betting this will start a few new topics.

3. Thrak Junior Engineer

Thank you for updating this!

4. Nacon Junior Engineer

I thought about it some more and I realized something. As I told myself "why do we need this when we already got one that does it all? It's only 2x1x1 block size. This new Assembler is only half of that, 1x1x1 block that is. So why?" I realized that small ship grid doesn't have assembler, only the large grid does. So this basic assembler might be small ship grid only with large conveyor port.

5. jemccro Trainee Engineer

I was thinking it would be really useful on small-grid but not necessarily large-grid. I can't think of any small-grid blocks that use the control panel like the basic assembler which made me think it was large-grid though.

6. Harrekin Master Engineer

They're worrying about flickering lights and half their dedicated playerbase is leaving from boredom...

Won't even address the issue.

It's a simple "are you gonna add more gameplay stuff?" and the answer is a simple yes or no.

The silence is deafening.

(Before all the "Disagree" fanboys come along, here: https://steamdb.info/app/244850/graphs/ )

EDIT: I said half but it's closer to 80%.
    --- Automerge ---
    @Nacon

What's with the late? I've been saying this for months.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Late Late x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Nacon Junior Engineer

Clearly you're not aware how game development works... They don't need to please you 24/7 or on every update. They just need to make the game work and optimized. Once that's mostly sorted out, they can add contents with a system that they'll know what to follow upon. Which is why put "BETA" on the label.

Maybe "Early Access" isn't your thing. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with the Steam Database Info site. It seem pretty steady and stable with the users base.

You're getting the "late" because you're too slow to understand game development as I've seen you fail countless times on this forum when people tried to explain it to you. It's not funny anymore.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Harrekin Master Engineer

They haven't added any gameplay elements in well over a year.

I don't understand development?

That's rich, lol.

4k daily players is stable and steady to you? You should really take a look at some of the names further up the list with 10x that number, it's a joke.

Even if those 4k players bought the game again it MIGHT pay for two developers for a year.

If you are actually a fan of this game and don't want it to just die quietly somewhere then you'd be pissed off too.

• Late Late x 3
  9. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

Basic assembler? This will be very useful

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thrak Junior Engineer

While I would love to see more "story" type content (and I expect we will), the data you share doesn't show people leaving in droves. Fairly predictable and steady usage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Harrekin Master Engineer

26k > 4k

For even just an anecdotal experiment you can do yourself right now, check the number of replies to the change log threads...

Check some of the posts from some of the biggest content creators saying "cya"...

All most people want to know is if the game is "gameplay complete" yet.

For the sake of argument; forget my previous posts and think about it rationally, a rough "roadmap" is hardly unprecedented or too much to ask for the customers that supported your game for many years.

What's the issue? Are they afraid they'll lose even more players?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. The MoSS 2 Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for the report, I didn't have the time to check the fix yet :p.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. odizzido Junior Engineer

well, solar panels seem to work so far. However my battery is getting power input and I have no power generation blocks on the grid.

14. Nacon Junior Engineer

And you didn't stop to wonder why?

You're right, it's rich alright... but it isn't funny. It's rather embarrassing for someone who has been around for 2 years with 3,000 posts on this forum. Otherwise I would have expected more from you if I was a new member to this forum today.

This game has sold over 2,000,000 copies on the Steam. They brought this game to support the developers, so they can see this game get developed and grow further... but they're not required to play the game through out the development. It just means a lot of people are waiting for the game to be completed. You really have a poor understanding with the graph chart on Steam Database Info. You're assuming there's only 4k players playing the game everyday since the development, it's not correct. That's just the peak number. It just means 4k players out of 2 millions are checking in at given time. Actual number of players in 2 weeks is around 100,000 players. which means around 7k players a day. You can find that info on the bottom chart. Don't just look at the big bold numbers. Read the data carefully.

So what... their loss. That happens maybe once in a week or two. In two years, that's about 96 to 192 players leaving. Now compare that number with the total sales. 2,000,000+ vs 96-192 players. So who cares... Not really your best argument at this point. Take a look at Kerbal Space Program. They're still selling the game after offcial release. They did started out in Early Access. They did lose some content creators and modders over the years but that didn't stop the game. One leave, another took over. Cycle of life right there. It happens here too. Once again, so what.

Here's a cold harsh reality check... Roadmap belongs to the developers, not the players. Because roadmap can change due to some bugs, technical issues, unrealistic idealism, and unrational game design. If players saw something on the roadmap and get high on hope to see it in the game... how do you think they're going to feel when they find out it got removed or told it can't be done? Ask yourself, what's the point in disappointing your customers when you know you might make a mistake for promising something that can not be done by telling them in the first place?

Simple, you are not entitled to know their roadmap. Nothing more to it. If they want to share that with us, that's up to them... but it's a risky move if they're not being careful with the list.

[​IMG]

Yes, I would be pissed if it died for no reason. However, I'd like the devs to take their time to work on it. Not rush it because some spoil brats can't wait any longer to have some fun right at this minute. I want the game done right, get used to it or get out of here.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Thrak Junior Engineer

Ah, right. I see what you're doing. Okay... that's... not how it works. You can't just look at the spike-y things and compare them with the low spots. You have to look at the median, year-to-year.

As to all of the other things you mention... whatever. If you're bored... can't you give the game a rest for a while and come back later to see if things improve? Will your boring game play experience now be made somehow magically better by the promise of more to come? It's great that you care and are passionate about the game and all... but I think there are a lot of good reasons why the devs shouldn't share a "roadmap."

Moreover, no video game is going to have an infinite lifespan. Eventually, you do all there is to do. As someone relatively new to the game (starting in late 2016), I am still having a hoot. Sorry if you no longer are, which is the implication your original post.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ZinuxGamer Trainee Engineer

Have all your batteries got there tick boxes UNticked? e.g. could you have some batteries charging others? --- I am assuming you don't have a rector somewhere :) Are you solars really out of sun range?.

17. Harrekin Master Engineer

Late 2016?

With all due respect, you have absolutely no idea.

For example, where have the F5 fleet gone? You probably don't even understand that reference.
    --- Automerge ---
    If you think you speak for the community then you're ridiculously misinformed.

If the game is released as it is today (with bugs fixed), you'd be happy?

Let's be straight, the MASSIVE modding community suggests the game is seriously lacking in substance and is likely the only reason it's survived so long.

I'm posting this in a changelog, you know Id have been ripped a new one if I posted this 2 years ago...Id have been one of the ones doing the ripping, difference is it's Beta so now the concern is justified.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Late Late x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nacon Junior Engineer

Never said I speak for the community, but I'm gonna assume that you're trying to say that you do? How embarrassing this has become.

Like I said before and I'll say it again in case you missed this part I mentioned few minutes ago... They just need to make the game work and optimized. Once that's mostly sorted out, they can add contents with a system that they'll know what to follow upon.
    You can't just throw contents into a game and expect to have all the systems work together flawlessly. System come first, contents come later. Sadly Keen House is juggling between the two because of some people like yourself are becoming a bully on their forum, demanding satisfaction at such inconvenience timing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Jonchi Ekkenberger Trainee Engineer

LCD bug...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Dan2D3D Moderator

Hi Jonchi Ekkenberger, Devs know about this, always have a look at the bug report section and post your bug in the same thread to avoid duplicates.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. Vaskadar Apprentice Engineer

Here comes my piece of speculation about the Basic Assembler. I'm under the impression that there will be some form of technological progression that stems from basic to advanced.

I'm concerned that the game has come to a content stand-still. Where's that pistol that was teased ages ago? Where's all that other stuff that was talked about?

What about the focus on progression from crash-landed on a planet to being space-ready?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. PLPM Junior Engineer

Harrekin doesn't know how game development goes? He may have strong opinions and I myself have disagreed with him from time to time. But no, hell no.
    Gameplay and mechanics come first, you make sure that the game is fun and engaging, THEN you optimize it and fix the bugs, THAT is how it's done, doing otherwise is like going out to get furniture and decorations for a house, but not knowing the measures of each room because it still getting built, in the end, it'll probably just end being wasted effort and money.

SE is not fun, and that, not bugs, should be the mayor concern. I really, REALLY, estimate the devs of Planet Nomads for pushing the release date on foresight of issues with gameplay and bugs, many people complained that it was a grind and not fun, and the Devs listened. I can't wait to play Planet Nomads, but even more so... to play Space Engineers, but I can't.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. KingDank Trainee Engineer

we need an open cockpit for small interiors

• Agree Agree x 7
  24. Harrekin Master Engineer

If you think you speak for the community then you're ridiculously misinformed.

If the game is released as it is today (with bugs fixed), you'd be happy?

Let's be straight, the MASSIVE missing community suggests the game is seriously lacking in substance and is likely the only reason it's survived so long.
    I'm saying there's a legitimate concern there from a substantial number of people and it's being completely ignored when a simple yes or no would suffice.

If they're not adding anything else then that's completely fine and certainly their "right", I'd personally be disappointed but at least I'd know not to check back every week.

I'd probably just come back when it's "done" and I can properly play with friends to "invent" our own narrative and fill the gaping hole in the gameplay with heavy but (then) stable modding.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Late Late x 1
  25. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

A basic assembler...
    To be honest, I really couldn't care less about this teaser.

What the game NEEDs most, is BUG FIXES.
    Put the new features on hold for a while, and focus all effort on cleaning up the huge plethora of bugs that have accumulated... because they are reaching critical mass.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  26. PLPM Junior Engineer

What would you like to see fixed and what is your fantasy once it's fixed?

27. Harrekin Master Engineer

There has been literally no new "features" for a year, sure, they've replaced completely skeleton placeholders with some more high quality functional stuff.

But literally everything else they've been doing have been performance improvements or bugfixing (which they've been doing quite well)...youre complaining about completely the wrong thing, lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. Jananton Trainee Engineer

Well, suddenly I see a lot of salt coming by somehow. As for me, I like seeing you stay on the ball with ironing out flaws in the game and also give the engine a proper work-over to get all out of the today's graphic possibilities.

A basic, small assembler teaser, depending on what it can assemble, could be very interesting on smaller vessels and in early survival, so lets see. ;)

Greets,

Jan

29. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

Well... the eye-adaption lighting bug would be pretty high on my priority list, if I were Keen's team leader.
    Also, the dimming LCDs bug that keeps popping up often enough to suggest a systemic code problem, and gets ignored for a very long time... and the ejectors shooting giant boulders sounds like it'd take all of a few seconds to fix if they'd just edit whatever line of code controls how much ore the ejectors are allowed to discharge.

... to name just a few of the most significant ones I have to fight every time I play the game. The Bugs section of the forum keeps getting more and more busy; I'd call that a hint that maybe Keen should direct a bit more energy toward cleaning up existing features and squashing the bugs, before they get too distracted with new features. We can all wait for the new stuff, but if the game is crashing constantly, the new stuff won't be worth the frustration.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Late Late x 1
  30. The Chuggernaut Trainee Engineer

I agree that they need to spruce up the gameplay and the MP, and the bugs, but that's why this isn't a final version release. I might be a newbie on the forum, but I've got over 4600 hours of gameplay on this game. Fun is where you make it. I like to build elaborate worlds with elaborate backstories, and I'm not a big MP guy, so I've been happy with the "gameplay" so far. I usually play creative with all the enemy AI off, sometimes with mods, sometimes vanilla. Is it stagnant? Absolutely. Is it unplayable? Not to me. But then again, I'm just one of the 2 million purchasers. I might be an exception to the rule. I remember when updates were about adding new blocks, and the big oxygen and planets updates, and how fun it was playing with the new bits they added. It's plateaued for the time being, and I can see that they're actively working to fix the foundation of the game, before they add any more new features. I'd like to see them add scenarios with a storyline to follow, to give it a little arcade playability, but I'm not going to begrudge them fixing bugs and working tirelessly to make a good game. I'm a little meh on the basic assembler teaser, but I was pretty excited about the wind turbines and parachutes. I'd like to see those, and maybe aerodynamics added. Of course I'd also like the "Armor Without Edges" mod to be part of the vanilla game. I think the ships look so much better without the borders. But again, I might be the exception to the rule. There's a whole world of mods out there to tailor the gameplay to what I want, so I'm okay with the way things are going.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.