Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.180.1 Minor - Beta Improvements

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Apr 20, 2017.

1. captainbladej52

There's always someone who loves to throw something along the lines of "you've only been playing since x so you can't possibly know anything." Some stuff will never change I guess. Even if you joined at a later date it's not difficult to learn the history of a game and to learn the game itself.

You bash him for what you view as trying to speak for the community yet act as though you speak for the community yourself. In terms of bugs, I deal with them on a daily basis by helping devs in another game to track down and fix said bugs in an mmo. Sometimes I have seen reports I've turned in take as little as a couple days to get fixed, and in others it's taken several weeks to several months. Yet despite the long wait they eventually did get fixed. Dealing with code can sometimes be a pain in the butt and one thing out of place can bring the whole thing crashing down. You're never going to have a 100% bug free or glitch free game as that's just not a realistic expectation. I don't like that some of the bugs existing now are still a thing either. However I would rather them take their time and fix it right, taking all the time they need, than to rush a fix out and have to patch it another 5-10 times to fix the issue to start with.

As for modding communities, look at how large of a modding community a game like Skyrim had/has. Look at the large number of addon makers that World of Warcraft has. Look at another prime example of building games, Minecraft. In the case of all 3 of those games, there is always something you can do, or build. Modding community size has nothing to do with whether a game is good or if it's lacking in substance or not. Look how long these 3 games have been around as well. In terms of development cycle Space Engineers isn't even technically out yet. For those of us that play it's like living in a house through renovations, you're going to uncover issues and the workers will come and go until the project is finished. The major work of the house is always done first, such as foundation, electrical, and everything. All the fun features you see such as big screen tvs and such, are not placed until the end of the construction. Typically this is because it would get in the way or worse yet get smashed if you installed the tv early on. Once the overall construction is complete, then you can add the fun features like TV, surround sound etc. The same is true with the game here and minecraft is an example of this. Minecraft was in early access for a LONG time before it was officially released and like SE now, they may not have always added major things to the gameplay each patch to Minecraft during the beta, but afterwards is when things took off. Brewing, enchanting, dual use tools, and such features were not added until after Minecraft was sent out yet the game turned out perfectly fine.

You're also forgetting there's a very large subset of gamers who won't touch an early access game because it's not yet completed. Where as dealing with the development cycle may not both those of us who actively play, to them they don't want to deal with the hassle it can sometimes be. It doesn't mean they don't enjoy the concept of the game and don't intend to play later, it just means they want to come back to see it at the end of the renovation per my previous example.

As far as folks leaving the game, there's always going to be folks that come and go with any game. Using the addon creators for World of Warcraft as one primary example, there was an addon called Carbonite that I used for a long time. The addon had been around since about 2008 I believe is when we first saw it hit the game. By the time I had picked up WoW again it was 2010 and the addon had been around for 2 years at least. The author of the addon stopped updating it in 2013. X-Perl Raid frames is another top thing alot of folks used for many years as well, since 2008 or prior possibly. The addon stopped updating in 2014, so it had a pretty solid run. Can you see the pattern here? Just recently another content creator who loved the original X-Perl created a version of the addon that was updated massively and works great called Z-Perl. Where one creator fell away, another creator took his place. People are going to come and go in gaming just as they do in life. Even alot of the original playerbase in WoW that started out with the game in 2004 no longer play the game still and a new generation of players have moved into the game. That doesn't mean those original players hate the game, it simply means they've moved on to something else. it happens as no game will keep people interested forever.

If you see something that bothers you to do with the game then by all means speak up and say something as constructive feedback is a great way for the devs to know if they're doing well or perhaps need to change course. I'm one of those folks that isn't buying into all the doom and gloom predictions that I've seen alot of others put out there. Maybe I'm crazy or whatever you would want to call me, but I prefer not to jump ship before I've even seen the final form of the ship I'm on. I wouldn't mind hearing some of their future plans myself either but there's good reason that game devs don't always tell you their plans.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Harrekin

I've heard this said several times, what exactly is this "good reason" that seems to be so commonly known?

Again not even a roadmap, just a simple "yes/no we're not/going to add more gameplay elements in the future".

• Late Late x 3
  3. LigerXT5

Any news on the fix for saving games? I have yet to check today after the patch yet, but I don't see it in the notes.

When saving, an error comes up relating to either a permission or harddrive storage issues. However, further looking into it, the game is trying to save files with names exceeding windows max file name character limit.

Edit: Still exists.

Edit 2: Found a temp fix: https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

Edit 3: The link above was only a temp fix it seemed. After about 45mins-1hour it happened again. -_-
    Tip: I've seen people say rename said files. Don't. I was sitting next to Mars. It vanished after I did a backup, rename, and launch. I figured something like this would happen.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. captainbladej52

Devs don't always share their plans because we as players may screw something up that would be very great for the game. They also don't always share plans because those plans may not always work out the way they hope. If they told us "we plan to have features X Y Z by this date" and those 3 features never appear, it would royally piss off the players who expected those features. Even if they got features X and Y to the playerbase they would still rage about feature Z. There are other reasons besides this that they may not tell but you don't need to know every single plan that they have.

Far as them saying one way or another, what exactly would you have them say beyond yes or no? I highly doubt you would stop at just wanting a yes or a no.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. PLPM

SE is right now, only fun as LEGO in space... what is wrong with that?
    Well, it hasn't changed much since alpha release three years ago, gameplay possibilities are extremely limited in vanilla and they're not changing either...

And what's wrong with that?

The amount of assets and effort poured into it through those three years...
    Factions, Planets, 6.6 AU world, Procedural asteroids, Procedural Pirates, Encounters, Factions, MP, Oxygen, AI, Cargo ships, Survival, Ship tools, Cargo Mass, Mining, Ship weapons... and way too many more things to list.

And playing Lego or going with user created content are the only satisfying experiences? after all that?

That's wrong.
    A game as developed as SE shouldn't feel as barren as it does... even if it's beta or even alpha. SE hasn't grown in a healthy way. You can't sell a game to someone though bug fixes, you sell it through its features and what you can do with it... and what you can do in SE, right now, is EXTREMELY limited in scope... I'm sorry but if that's to be the case, I will stick with an Alpha vesion from 2015, only thing I'd update for, is mods, and that raises WAY too many red flags.
    --- Automerge ---
    You don't know him, and you don't know other players either.
    I myself would gladly stop paying attention to SE if gameplay was to remain untouched.

And many people already have.
    You're WAY too late to the party.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  6. Ronin1973

The current assembler can be upgraded with 2x1x1 upgrade blocks. The 1x1x1 assembler looks like it can't be.

Perhaps they'll scrap the current assembler for much larger units that specialize in different components? The beginning of a progress system?

7. Commander Rotal

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. KissSh0t

I am unable to wield blocks being projected by a small ship, I use a projector to make fixing damaged parts easier and now I can't do that...

Doing it by hand works but I can't do it from my wielding ship, I thought the point of having a wielding ship was so we could speed up wielding?

*edit*

I built a large wielder on my large carrier ship and it has access to resources and it won't wield my small ship that I am piloting next to the wielder.........

*edit*

I am trying to grind the armor block but it won't let me, it keeps grinding the turret next to me which I am not pointing at.... I don't understand what is going on here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mysteriouspace

Are the item textures in the inventory screen ever going to be reupdated?

10. Arcturus

The pistol teased in the 01.129 update video was used in a non-public "VR Shooter" third game experiment by KSH. There are also references in the code shared between SE and ME to this VR game. The artist also made a chunky looking rifle and a shotgun.

11. KissSh0t

This ship is the spawn of Satan and no one will convince me otherwise.

[​IMG]

*edit*

For those interested > https://www.artstation.com/artist/defonten

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. The Chuggernaut

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Morloc

You are 100% correct.
    I used to check these forums daily. I still check them weekly...(guess which day), but I've not launched the game since mid September.
    It's NOT about being bored with the game...there are so many things I want to do, but with all the "bug-fixing" would I be correct in assuming that my large ships (8x8+ drill deck) drilling through asteroids will still mysteriously begin to pitch wildly....or hit some chip of neutron star that the drills just pass over while it rips through my ship?...or some tiny fragment of stone will work its way into my structure and begin to oscillate causing massive damage?

Am I correct that if I dig a corkscrewing mine shaft deep into a planet, the fact that I've parked my ship at the entrance and have left the guns on to prevent the local fauna from eating me is ....meaningless, because they will spawn out of thin air inside of the mine shaft...trapping me to take them on with a hand weapon?

The last thing I remember was PLANETS!!...and boy, they were cool....then.....dialtone.

If I had the same number of fingers as ship's weapons I can build I couldn't wipe my own ass.

As Harrekin has said, a year ago I'd probably have been on the same side as the "Keep calm, it's alpha beta...Leave Britney the devs alone!" crew, but at what point does patience become sheep-like acceptance and finally abandonment?

For cripes' sake, we used to have xx page arguements about the merits/horror of adding shields and energy weapons to the game...such an exercise seems pointless/hopeless right now.

-Morloc

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Nacon

That's a very subtle way of saying you admits not understanding what people had explained to you several times... and it shows.
    Why not just take a break from Space Engineers and go do something else in the meantime then?

As Harrekin has said, a year ago I'd probably have been on the same side as the "Keep calm, it's alpha beta...Leave Britney the devs alone!" crew, but at what point does patience become sheep-like acceptance and finally abandonment?

When you're that young kid in the back seat, constantly asking your father driving the car "are we there yet?" non-stop... Do you really think asking over again is going to speed it up?

Well... it's kinda like that. Most game development do take about 4-7 years to finish. Space Engineers started in 2013, that's 4 years ago... does means we're getting closer to finished? Not really, not with all the people been asking the developers to add this and that, trying to entertain them at the same time.

So with that being said, it's basically like having a father getting fed up with the kid asking the question non-stop, he'd make few stops on the way just to give the kid something to do. Long as he stop asking him the question so often, then get back on the road again, trying to reach the main destination. With all that happening, it will take them even longer to finish.

(Honestly, this is getting dumb already. Harrekin isn't being reasonable nor understanding anything and now someone like you falling for his non-entitlement absurdity. I'm done wasting my time with the imbecile.)

Maybe not, it could be a Small ship grid block only since the normal assembler is large grid only.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Harrekin

• Chill out
    Just because you refuse to take what I've said at face value doesn't mean I don't understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with you.

It's sad that being a white knight is obviously more important than your objectivity.

Also I wasn't directing my posts at you btw, why do you feel the need to answer for a commercial entity, do you feel in some way special? You even put yourself as the father driving in your analogy, lol.

Imbecile?

You're pathetic, your point is so weak you'd to (once again) resort to insults.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  16. Cetric

That's a good picture to describe the developer <-> audience relationship. And patience sure is no virtue present in the latest adult or not-so-much-adult generation, spoiled as it often seems.
    But it has been worse a few months ago with that constant nagging and shoving, situation has cooled off again. Hope it stays like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Lt. Yankee

Bro, don't bother . Don't waste your energy . The developers already said that they don't care . ;)

• Late Late x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin

Thank you for keeping us up-to date. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Morloc

Asking over and over?? What's your definition of "over and over"? My relationship with the driver has been more akin to the guy who rides in the back of a hearse.

Development is primarily a function of man hours. There are static hurdles with marketing, distribution, etc. which offer diminishing returns when you throw more people/money at them, but the game development itself is directly related to the amount of development which is going on, not how long the development is going on.

Since planets were added, what are these "this and that" things that "all the people" have been asking to add that you're talking about? What's been getting entertained in place of forward progress in the game? You're not talking about the Suggestions area right?

If there are people putting in suggestions for new lens flare options, more natural tool graphics, or scenario editing tools, please...by all means, my suggestion to the devs is to ignore these things and "keep driving dad".

Nov 12, 2015 - Planets.
    Where has dad driven us to since then? If you ignore fixes for issues which were introduced after planets (and in fairness give a liberal slice of patience for the fixing of bugs introduced as a result of planets, given the scope of the feature), what the heck has all the rest of the bug fixing (oh, and optimization) been...fixing? If we're not getting new features and we're not getting concrete patches for long, long term issues plaguing the game, then dad's just driving in circles.

-Morloc

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Late Late x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. KissSh0t

I say.. Grrr! The Argentavis keeps spawning enemies at me.. I tried destroying it after this video but it didn't turn out good for me...

[​IMG]

I wish there were better weapons 9__9

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Commander Rotal

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  22. I23I7 Tester Developer

No worries i keep a look out for the sensible questions. * wink wink *

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  23. viper312005

The renaming does work if done properly, you have to find the filename in your sandbox_0_0_0 file and rename it the same filename as your world file name for the planet. Also, put the world files closer to the root drive instead of several folders...it counts those characters as well.

EDIT: It took me several tries to get the planet to show back up but it does work. BTW, you cannot backup the world with that filename that long (hence why SE can't save properly). It'll backup everything except that one file and you will get a windows error about it. I ended up corrupting the planet the first time so had to go into the original game files to get the planet code and inject it into my world.

24. I23I7 Tester Developer

I have already reported this problem hopefully it can be fixed on our end and implemented.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  25. The Chuggernaut

Love that ship. Do you have a "pre-encounter" copy of it on the workshop? I like the aesthetic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Harrekin

I guess that's how Keen likes to respond to their customers:

Some other guy calls me an "imbecile", that's totally cool.

I say it's pathetic to resort to insults and I get a warning stating "Chill out" from an unnamed moderator...

Real classy outfit.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  27. Corundum Guy

That's a pretty big hotfix...
    Just three more weeks until I get fast internet, just three weeks... :p

28. KissSh0t

I don't have a blueprint of this specific one uploaded... but I do have a world that I uploaded the other day for reporting a bug.. you can grab it from there if you want.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=908693794

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  29. Balmung

It's funny... "we want more features!"... if Minecraft would be developed that way what some SE players here want's, Minecraft would be still in Beta. More Features could also be added after Launch. More important is yet to get a more polished Base Game and than eliminating the Bugs. We need a good Base from where we can build up in the Future, that is much more important now than more and more features, than we never seen a Release with a good running Base Game, only more weekly bug fixes from bugs that already was fixed in the past.

And when the game is released, with much less bugs, than for sure we also get more Mods. Actually there are too much changes here and there that needs to often Updates for mods, a thing that Modders and Players didn't like so much.

It is difficult to criticize a unfinished game, too easily criticizing switched to crying.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. Tigerstripe

Indeed, the bug-fixing should be top priority at this point. If I were in charge of Keen, I'd have the team set aside the future features for a while, and refocus all energies on cleaning up the game as it currently stands, and squashing out as many bugs as possible, and improving performance.

There will be plenty of time for adding more content later, and I would bet most players would choose fewer serious bugs that destroy their work, over the fancy lens-flares and prettier trees. Keep the priorities straight, please. Let's get a long series of minor updates and hotfixes dedicated to fixing the bugs and streamlining that code... and maybe push out more little hotfixes for the baddest bugs as soon as they are fixed, instead of waiting until Fridays only.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1