Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 01.60 - No Asteroids

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by MrHohenheim, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ozarkamax Junior Engineer

correct this is just temporary. likely all dedicated admins will be hard at work finding a work around anyway.

2. eyedentify Trainee Engineer

Oi... no need for such language sir. Behave or get out of the forum.
    I get you are upset but some manners are still to be used.
    And that kind of rage crap does no one a favor, and is certainly no valid bug reporting.

3. alakeram Trainee Engineer

if there is one i would love to know. i am trying to find a workaround right now, but no luck so far.

Will post if i find one.

-Alak

4. MrHohenheim Trainee Engineer

Hmm singleplayer now works fine but dedicated multiplayer still generate only ONE big asteroid becuse i set 12

5. ozarkamax Junior Engineer

confirmed. one of 257 generated on my dedicated server.

6. MrHohenheim Trainee Engineer

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  7. ArcticWolf Trainee Engineer

Well at least I have my NEW asteroids back, my saved world crashed and no matter what I did I could not revive it :(
    BUT...... Ore Detector - on drill too - does not hardly work at all, only mineral that shows up is Iron even though I was floating right next to a big lump of gold.. :(

Added:
    Been inside at least 3 of my asteroids - some are the Doughnut ones - and there is NO visible minerals save for stone and the ore detector doesn't even pickup the stone?
    Only thing the ore detector/drill has shown me is a few places with Iron.. oh.. and the gold finally showed up this time :(

8. Cirfain Trainee Engineer

Same here : only one asteroid !!

9. MarlDaeSu Trainee Engineer

Bit of a pain this update but it's to be expected in alpha development. Hopefully the hotfix tomorrow should set things right. Rocking a temporary creative world until then.

Whoever said above they lost their save, always be Backing Up Yo!

10. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

I hate to quote myself, but ...

From way back on page 2. What I have not seen since then is anybody doing any of this. Unless I missed it, nobody has posted logs, published a world where this is happening, or even indicated which mods they are running, if any. Did I miss somebody doing this?

What I have seen is a lot of nerdrage and hair-splitting over the term "broken" and sperging at a developer.

If the hotfix that they've already put out doesn't fix the game for you, then you need to do the things I suggested. At least publish a world where you can reproduce the issue and link it here so that a dev can see what's going on. It'll be a lot more helpful, and get the fix in faster, than you standing there and crying about the ravages of puberty. We get it: it is an awkward time and the changes are confusing.

11. metalsynkk Apprentice Engineer

It's funny how there are always 3 groups of people on threads like this, or actually, on almost any thread regarding this game. There are the people that just report the problem, give info, are generally helpful. Which I would like to be only I stopped playing around 3 months ago. The second group are the ones defending the "alpha" and "early access" arguments with their life and saying the devs will fix it. And finally, we have the third group which are actually people that see the issue at hand and provide relatively good arguments, even tho the language can sometimes be a little immature or faulty.

I used to be a mix between the 3, depending on what the problem was (if it was a problem at all). But after reading this, can the second group please get their heads out of their asses? Let me list the facts here. And that is going to be a very short list to be very honest: over 1 million copies sold (let this sink in the most), around 1.5 years of "alpha" status, and more broken things than fixed ones in the past weeks, and also some in the weeks before that. The slightly longer list are the broken features themselves: assemblers were broken, lights are still unoptimized, it took weeks to fix mining lag and floating objects lag (partially), now there are either no or fewer asteroids for no reason, connectors were broken, landing gears were broken, rotors and pistons used to goddamn explode. I can go on with this, and that's only the in-game stuff. Let's not forget how the performance of this game is to a lot of people, like me for instance. I have a powerful pc, yet 3 months ago some arcane magic which I call the 1st hotfix of '46 made my fps drop between 2 and 4 times, for no reason. And I've done my research more or less on what could be the cause and no other program or game suffered after that, everything on my desktop performed exactly the same except Space Engineers.

I really want this game to become good, and I really really want to see the devs actually make what they are promising. But I have gradually lost my trust in KSWH making this what they promised to make. I started SE up 3 days ago to check a server out, the first time since those 3 months I decided to do something. Stayed there for 3-4 hours, game lagged up to 10-15 fps, and I quit. Today, opened Easy Start 2 as a test (which is 4 roids, 1 base, 1 large ship, 2 small ships) and I had 15-20fps on an FX-8120 and GTX660. Do you people call that normal? Do you just say "ahh man come on its early access m8"? Or are you prepared to actually approach the developers somehow because I find this kind of stuff really irresponsible for a game that has achieved so much in terms of players and community.

As much as I love the game and have spent 500+ hours on it, I want an explanation why the quality of what we weekly receive has deteriorated beyond acceptable. I won't even miss my 13 euro, cause an explanation is worth a lot more to me than that.

Edit: and no, there are no world files, log files, or lists of mods from me. I don't have a world that proves it, you can go ask the owners of the server I play on for those.

12. MarlDaeSu Trainee Engineer

As far as I've read the devs know already what has caused this and are bringing a hotfix out tomorrow to fix it for existing worlds. Everyone chill

13. darkstrike Trainee Engineer

We had a server that was never updated to the asterod-breaking update, but instead, our Host updated it after the hotfix came out....yet all out asteroids are still gone. Is a fix in the works for SAVED games to get asteroids back? Or is the hotfix only going to be for new saved games and current dedicated server games are screwed?

Not upset, I understand the game is in Alpha....just hoping I'm not going to hear that we have to set up a new server world again to get asteroids back or that we have to re-spawn asteroids into our current world (two of our players have bases built inside asteroids and I imagine they will be pretty sad if they have to see them go!

14. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

You have no way to discover which mods the dedicated server you connect to is running, and no way to start a small MP world on your own machine to see if the same problem occurs? Because some of the people reporting the issue have stated that it happens in new MP worlds.

Sure, I could run home from work and start an MP world myself, but that doesn't answer the question about mods running.

15. ozarkamax Junior Engineer

one year into development or 1.5 years these kinds of bugs are very normal. here is what YOU should do. stop coming here till 2 years from now. because historically up until now 3 years is about the time you start to even hear about a game being in development. If you can't wrap your head around that, then you will never understand how legitimate "it's alpha" is as an explanation.

16. MarlDaeSu Trainee Engineer

Darkstrike I believe there will be a hotfix tomorrow to fix the problem for existing world's. One of the devs said as much somewhere in this topic

17. darkstrike Trainee Engineer

Thanks mate :)
    Our host has the server down until said hotfix comes out....he loaded up the game to find our asteroids gone and, indeed, the "asteroid bases" of my friends were just floating in open space....looked very odd he said, haha!

Looking forward to adding some sound blocks...for....some reason.....to my ship! :D

18. Arrnor Trainee Engineer

I ran a comparison on the server logs between now and yesterday. Largely identical, except that yesterday's logs contained lots of these:

Code:
    Thread:   6 ->     MyOreDeposits.Recompute: 142.316859276292 ms
    Thread:   6 ->     MyVoxelMap.InitVoxelMap() - Start
    Thread:   6 ->        File: 3generic80
    Thread:   6 ->        ID: 0
    Thread:   6 ->        Size: [X:256, Y:256, Z:256]
    Thread:   6 ->     MyVoxelMap.InitVoxelMap() - End
    Thread:   6 ->     MyOreDeposits.Recompute: 124.877876599211 ms
    Thread:   6 ->        File: 3generic110
    Thread:   6 ->        ID: 1
    Thread:   6 ->     MyOreDeposits.Recompute: 127.482834450849 ms
    Thread:   6 ->        File: 3generic30
    Thread:   6 ->        ID: 2

It was a long list, repeating for each asteroid. Today's logs are missing that entirely.

19. MarlDaeSu Trainee Engineer

That's the server loading the voxel maps for the asteroids, I noticed it was missing earlier too. Interestingly on start up server still outputs the same errors in the voxel maps even though the maps themselves don't appear in the log.

Those errors have been lurking in the voxel maps for me for ages so I was surprised to see them, without the actual voxel maps being loaded. They seem to be processing the asteroids on server start up but not successfully.

20. Pandathaway Trainee Engineer

so i know about the asteroids going bye bye but when i try to start a new world the asteroids that do spawn in it are really small and only have 1 or if i'm lucky 2 types of ore in it and when i say small i mean about the size of the redship and i have tried both dedicated server and just the game client for starting a map....the rocks that spawn in look the exact same every time and no i'm not loading the same map lol its new maps every time..i'm deleting the old maps every time i try a new world gen. thought they said that new maps where fixed for this or am i missing something?

21. Haunty Apprentice Engineer

All asteroids but 1 were actually stripped from my sbs file, and world download is only 1MB instead of 12MB, don't see how a patch could add those back because it contained the positions. I compared to a backup, asteroids are under the <StorageName> tags, which is all identical except the <MutableStorage> tag is not in the current sbs file.
    So I may just try copying that asteroid section over.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  22. NerdimusPrime Trainee Engineer

I just tried that, and it sort of works. My asteroids came back but my main base disappeared. I'm going to see what else is missing from the files too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2014
  23. kittle Senior Engineer

if you comfortable editing the .sbs file, you can go through and delete all occurrences of
    "<MutableStorage>true</MutableStorage>" I was able to recover the asteroids in our dedicated server by doing that.

of course - if your world saved even ONCE, then pray you have a backup so you can recover the asteroid positions.. otherwise they will be gone.

24. NerdimusPrime Trainee Engineer

Thanks kittle, I'll try that. Fortunately I do have a very recent save that still contains all my asteroid info, and I'm being VERY careful with it.

25. NerdimusPrime Trainee Engineer

Interesting. There was no instance of the word "mutable" or "Mutable" in my .sbs file but there is in the .sbs.bak file from 4 days ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2014
  26. alakeram Trainee Engineer

specify please? do we delete that line or whats under it?

27. NerdimusPrime Trainee Engineer

Wait, isn't that backward? If the "<MutableStorage>true</MutableStorage>" line is missing from the current .sbs file, but exists in an old save, doesn't that mean it should be *added* back to the .sbs file?

28. alakeram Trainee Engineer

i didn't see it in either old save and new. (at 12/10/14 before the update and after 12/12/14 update) i just went to the old save, copyed all the asteroids and pasted it into the new world, and the asteroids came back fine. (you have to edit the SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbs file to see the asteroids) make sure you copy it correctly or you'll break it :p

29. NerdimusPrime Trainee Engineer

I must have done it wrong the first time, because it brought back my asteroids but removed my main base. I'll try it again. Thanks!

30. alakeram Trainee Engineer

uhhh don't do what i said, for some reason it brought back the asteroids but all the collision for bases went all wonky, didn't fully test my work around..... X_X

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.