Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 02.062 - Inventory slot system

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary
    This week we are introducing a new slot system for inventories. This will help make inventories better organized, more intuitive and it will also speed up the construction itself. Each item can be stacked up to a specific amount. For example, you can have 30 berries in one slot, but for timbers and stones you can only stack up to 5 pieces per slot. These changes replace the old inventory methods which were limited by mass and volume. Also, with this new approach to inventories, the area inventory is no longer needed.
    Players can set the number of slots in their inventories via the multiplier in the world options. The number of slots in other containers, such as chests, barrels, crafting tables or bonfires, will not be affected by the world settings. We also changed controls within inventories together with the slot system. Double-clicking on any item will transfer the stack between inventories. CTRL + LMB will transfer 10 pieces of a selected item, SHIFT + LMB will transfer 100 pieces of an item, RMB on consumables will consume 1 piece from the selected stack, and RMB + drag + drop of any item will move the exact number you want from one inventory to another.

Features:
    - inventory slot system
    - added new highlights

Fixes & Optimizations:
    - added notification "Inventory is full" when item transfer cannot be done in GUI
    - removed the area inventory
    - slight inventory optimization
    - fixed inventory screen showing when interacting with empty characters
    - fixed inventory screen crashing due to wrong condition
    - fixed crash when cutting tree
    - fixed players not releasing the crafting component correctly (caused blocked crafting blocks)
    - fixed crash in case of opening inventory on dead barbarian
    - prevented opening inventory of live characters
    - fixed missing "unable" HUD sound
    - fixed crash at Medieval.GUI.MyGuiScreenInventory.Transfer
    - fixed bonfire inventory not being droppable
    - fixed dummies on RoofTileOddHay, RoofTileOddTopWithTop and RoofTileOddTopWoodWithTop.
    - fixed collision on HouseTimberFloorRound

• Disagree Disagree x 12
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Thomas_Jefferson

Cool! More fixes! Keep them coming!
    That new inventory system fits the game very nicely!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ovenmit

Stacked slot inventory. Disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Disagree Disagree x 7
  4. tharkus

NICE ! :)
    this new inventory really fits the style of the game.

Also, i really like the soft "light" [item highlight] medieval engineers have, SE should have it, is less invasive/ visible .

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Forester

Dont like this casual inventory slot system( That was better before.
    But fixes very tasty

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Ed Frost

.... still no things to toy with... please tell us whats going on over there... what are you guys working on... why does it take so damn long till we get those gears, wheat, proper mining with ores, smelting....

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. tharkus

Again i agree with you about those nice features we want, but we have to be patient :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

One problem, there appears to be no way to actually pick up timbers, and with no area inventory available for building anymore, good luck building anything.

Honestly, while I do appreciate the inventory handling changes (after having to deal with a bazillion scrap wood) I really don't like the neutering of the premise of the building, which is physically manipulating your resources, at least partially, in order to build your things. Really, the area inventory, while (slightly) being alright being disabled for player inventories, should NOT be disabled for things like building.

• Agree Agree x 14
  9. SaturaxCZ

This can be later nicely combine with items: cloths, bells, bags, boxes, atc... to carry X inventory slots for given item on character ;)

10. PhoenixTheSage

Yeah my reaction to area inventory being removed:
    [​IMG]

I get that stacking will make grabbing individual items easier and I like that change since it makes sense with the current balance of items.
    However, removing area collection won't counter-balance that in any meaningfully positive way...
    You know what was great about that? You could have friends mining or cutting trees while someone else just focused on designing/building. Why take that away?

I mean, good job on the fixes though...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Late Late x 1
  11. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Yeah like I said, for small stuff, like scrap wood and even small stones, an inventory is a godsend, but fundamentally altering how the resource management works in the game is just, ugh. Nevermind the fact that you can now stuff a tree in your pockets no problem. Build a cart, move your resources around that way, was a fairly unique and fun thing, now it's just becoming Space Engineers.

• Agree Agree x 11
  12. CanOmer

Great! I hope Space Engineers will have character inventory setting too.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  13. PhoenixTheSage

I think it should have been a combination of the two. Both mass and stacking, but with more lenience on mass. Or maybe a mass per item type.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Thermonuklear

Yeah, one of ME's main selling point was the physical handling of resources. I can understand inventory masturbation in SE, high-tech machinery making everything seem like you're filling Excel forms. Now I have to play pretend in ME, too! :<

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Timotei~

Worse, it's becoming a minecraft clone. Next week we'll see creepers (exploding barbarians). This game has just lost a great part of its uniqueness.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. PhoenixTheSage

Nah, if it was becoming Minecraft, there would be more fun things to do besides building...

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Commander Rotal

Bring back area inventory. You don't take features away. Ever. Period.
    Particularly not from a game that has little enough unique identity and incentive to play it as-is.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

If area building inventories were still in, I wouldn't be reacting half as bad, because then its streamlined for newbies, but more open for people who understand the mechanics more and want to physically manage their building items.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. KingdomBragg

Thanks for the fixes but I agree that area inventory shouldn't have been removed. Maybe a combination as PhoenixTheSage suggests.

20. CanOmer

21. Geneticus

IMO the new inventory is much more intuitive. I do agree with most that the area inventory was very useful. I'd like to see that come back and also be added to SE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Mix-martes86

Weird way to put it... :D

23. CanOmer

What is area inventory?

24. Masked Death

What's the logic of removing area inventory? Instead of using the wood stacked nearby, you're fitting a few trees in your pocket? That's a good change except it's reversed.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. DShakor

Cannot pick timbers up into my inventory after this patch. A hotfix inbound for this?

Also agreeing the area inventory removal is a wrong direction for this game. I could park a wagon loaded with timber or stone somewhere I was planning to build and then begin building, now I have to put all these items in an inventory before I can build. OK now inventories are more convenient for this, that is something I guess. Even so it felt somehow more 'medieval' to do it the old way and was easier to work with in multiplayer. One guy piles stuff up as others build etc. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Uncle Gus

I really don't like slot based inventory. Really don't. It's what I hate most about DayZ. It's what I hate most about Rust. It's what I hate most about Minecraft. It's what I hate most about 7DaysToDie. It's what I ha.....etc.

"Oh I can't carry this tree trunk, but if I put down this single nail, I'll be fine."

I absolutely love the Project Zomboid inventory. It actually makes sense. You can carry as many different types of things as you want, so long as you have space (volume), and are strong enough to lift the weight (mass). I am very disappointed about this significant change in game mechanics.

• Agree Agree x 10
  27. OmEgA_StOrM

When do we need that ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Sanfard

Great fixes, but the previous inventory system, in my opinion, was both more intuitive and logical than the current system of arbitrary slot and stack size.

Here is a comparison showcasing a few maximum inventory storage capacities on a setting of 1x, before and after the update:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  29. UnstableOrbit

---Warning: salt ahead---
    Do not read if you are easily offended or think that everything KSH does is automatically the greatest decision ever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  30. AFallenApple

Very glad to see the new inventory system. The previous system made survival very tedious. This game has appeared to strive for more realism, but definitely a good sacrifice with the inventory system. Looking forward to more!

• Disagree Disagree x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1