Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 02.067 - Wooden gate

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, May 3, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary:
    Greetings Engineers! In this week's update we are bringing new block to the game: a wooden gate. The wooden gate's opening speed, number of door wings, max angle and open angle are all moddable. This means modders can make all sorts of smaller doors, shutters, cellar doors, roof windows, and so on.
    In this first iteration, the door doesn't have ownership, so they are only useful against barbarians for the moment - we are still working on the ownership system.
    We have also changed key binding for voxel hands configuration. It's context sensitive now, so to configure voxel hands just press K when you have voxel hands equipped.

Features:

- added Wooden gate block (fully moddable)

Fixes & Tweaks:
    - fixed problems with roof battlement triangles when constructed/deconstructed
    - fixed durability not being saved in the torch
    - fixed durability reset when you had more tools of the same type on your toolbar
    - fixed sounds of running & sprinting over grass
    - fixed rotation and pickup clashing (now the pickup will only work when no tool is equipped)
    - fixing problem with duplicate entity ID in re-equipped weapons (causing the weapon not being equipped sometimes)
    - fixed dear dead body physics
    - fixed bug with LockableDrumMain
    - improved fracture piece multiplayer code
    - improved the logic behind hiding the character head
    - added Voxel Settings to K key (as default)

• Like Like x 13
  2. Stori3D Past Productions

Oh heck yeah. Yes! Now if only I were a modder & knew how to do that. I would instantly start making doors, shutters, everything. The game's needed this for a year and getting it is SO COOL.

3. UnstableOrbit

Finally, a new toy to play with! And a rather useful one at that! I haven't been this pleased with a ME update in a looooooong time, so hopefully this is an indication of whats to come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SaturaxCZ

Nice update. I dont think ownership is good idea, place lock/bar from one side is more realistic solution + when enemy break through walls, atc... he can open gate from inside...

• Agree Agree x 12
  5. Stori3D Past Productions

I agree with Saturax. A one-sided lock may be the simplest and best answer. God I love this. I was just picturing this morning all the scenarios we could start running if only we had doors (lockable doors). Fleeing through a building. Slamming a door behind us & locking it to buy a few extra seconds to equip a sword, or to pick up a chair to throw at them. It could be room-to-room brawling and a lot of fun. Not to mention just the added realism to all our builds of actually having doors & shutters. I'm thrilled!

6. warmachine2k

awesome addition only thing that would make it better is if you could add blocks onto the door

7. Stori3D Past Productions

Yes! No collision issues! The gate will open even if the ground surface is tight against it:

I love this update so much.

Here's a GIF of a new gate installed in my soon-to-be-published updated Vindolanda fort. It already feels so much cooler.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Cetric

Hooray! The wooden Gate has arrived! Great!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eikester

nice to see my Door code used in an official Block (even tho its not for SE) ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Androox

Nice that is what we were waiting for ! Now we need this same thing with small door and square door

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  11. Hanfree

A question.
    Your game is for modders or players?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Legolas6531

It's a sandbox kind of gameplay, meaning do whatever you want. Mods and modders are a valuable and wonderful thing to have available because that means we can get more toys and get them the way the community wants them, broken or not. I would much rather they make things they implement moddable versus "here's that thing, hope you like it the way it is." If they didn't make it moddable, I am certain someone would have complained "it would be nice if we could mod these, I don't see why you didn't."

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Stori3D Past Productions

I think Space Engineers shows the value of Keen's system of making playable games and releasing the code so the modding community can extend it. I don't play SE, but what I've seen of it blows me away. Both the original code, and the incredible pool of talent out there that takes it in new & unexpected directions. I hope the same thing blossoms in ME too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cetric

So I integrated the new gate right away into my various gate openings. Unfortunately, if my critic is welcome, I found the gates only suitable for opening into one direction. In some situations that means you have to leave the hinges and gate straps to the outside (probably because gate collides with walls leading rectangular to the gate connection to the facade you mount it into). This is stupid when they are in fact exposed to the enemy at the gates. They may just take out their tools and unbold the straps or push the gate wings out of their hinges and that's it - way far open.
    Second issue is less important in my mind's eye. I have some oversize gate arcs and so I have to fill the gaps with mod stone beam constructions as improvisations, like you see on the second and third picture here as example (glad to have those beams again).
    (1)
    [​IMG]
    Hinges placed towards the interior of gate house: won't fit because of side walls. Gate would only fit in with straps mounted towards exterior side.

(2)
    [​IMG]
    So I placed the one supposed to be the outer gate (I love double gates) a distance into the stretched gate house (tunnel) and the ramp made it necessary to do improvised integration as seen here, by combining many stone beams.

(3)
    Result:
    [​IMG]
    Background: the gate from picture above as finished, in the middle of the ramp. Inner gate in the foreground was placed in overheight arc, so again stone beams serve for closing the gap over the new arc which comes with the gate. Here the opening direction is acceptable, as the hinges lay inside.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. tharkus

Nice update !
    Also i expect KSH be the one to make smaller doors, shutters, cellar doors, roof windows too . . .

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. GreatBeard

We got a door! No, but seriously, we've got doors!

17. effe

Awesome. Testing it right away! :p

18. effe

wont work on big arches as Cetric mentionned. Aside very nice 3D i like it. I miss a beautiful loud sound going together with it, but i am sure that will come along the way. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JuStX2

I know this is probably totally unrelated but....yay for forum automerge. Forget the doors, I'm having functionality issues with the brains.
    --- Automerge ---
    Oh and @ the comments that Keen's approach to software is to let the community expand it - it's been noted by Keen themselves on several occasions that ME and SE do NOT share development teams (despite having very similar coding issues)
    --- Automerge ---
    In fact, a lot of SE's success in Marketing is due to the fact it hit on a very niche market early on; ME seems like somewhat of a copycat by now >.>

20. RubberSword

Thank you - I love this block. I would re-iterate what has already been stated, that the door fixes with the wrong side facing out.
    But still, it's great that you're bringing in more blocks.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mr Engineer

Looks nice, very nice. Its pretty cool watching ME Develop from initial release. Its progressed so far. Good work Keen!

22. Ed Frost

.... i thought we still were in week 2 after initial release....