Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Update 02.068 - Draw bridge

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, May 10, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary:
    Hello Engineers! This week we are adding a new block - draw bridge. This is another piece to add to our group of various entrances. The draw bridge is good for survival gameplay because it can be easily built, repaired, deconstructed or destroyed. The whole entrances group will be very modular and easy to combine with others in the group. Just keep in mind that you don't need to use these pre-made blocks - you can always engineer your own ones.

Features:
    - added draw bridge block
    - fake ropes can be added to door blocks now
    - disabled toolbar items now update if you have an item of the same type

Fixes:
    - fixed dummies on HouseTimberFloorRoundIn.
    - fixed durability not being saved for the dropped weapon
    - toolbar items now show durability from the start of the game (no need to drop your wepon to the toolbar)
    - fixed a problem with copy-pasted tools sharing the same durability
    - structural integrity updated to support larger blocks (e.g. drawbridge)
    - fixed floor targetting with the hammer
    - the door and drawbridge blocks can now be destroyed even when hitting the moving parts

Update 008:
    - fixed game restarting when sending crash report
    - fixed character crash

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ed Frost

... so... why was this an engineering game again? oh yeah... to create our own contraptions... including drawbridges...

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Sofa

I was about ready to say "hey wait a minute, couldn't we already build drawbridges with small blocks? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of engineering?" But then it dawned on me that the physics engine has a habit of breaking them. So really, no harm in having some prefab stuff, I hazard.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Dan2D3D69 Moderator

Thanks for this block :tu:

Modders will be able to make traps with this block :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Peavy

Not everyone wants to take the time to build a drawbridge each time they need one. Some people wouldn't even know where to start.
    I'm guessing you also missed the part that said you don't have to use this, you can make your own.

Personally I like this new block, it'll keep the block count down in your world as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ed Frost

most people will think "why try to make a drawbridge when there is a prefab..." which will eliminate the challenges we have... and if we had tutorials showing how you can make a drawbridge, it woudlve been good enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. yokse

no engineering, no fun.....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dan2D3D69 Moderator

To be honest I prefer to create my drawbridge cause it's nice and hard to break if it's well done.

But this block is interesting for what it does.

* It's fun to build it with timber, it's challenging!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. Peavy

Well, that's there own choice. What does it matter to you how they play the game?

Personally I've always made my own stuff and will most likely keep making my own stuff, I'm not going to call anyone out for wanting to use a prefab block.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. beelzerob

Interesting. This is an engineering game that was already lacking problems to overcome. Now there's one less.

Still, at this point, I'm happy to see this game get any kind of love.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sofa

Because one of the main draws of the game is that it's not just Survival-Sandbox-Game-With-Building-And-Crafting Now Available on Early Access no.28590; it's about overcoming problems through ingenuity: In other words, engineering. Medieval engineering, if you will...

...but like I said - on the other hand, I don't think builders in days of yore faced the challenge of a buggy and temperamental physics engine suddenly smiting their creations on a whim.

12. Ovenmit

Confirmed. Medieval engineers becoming less about engineering and more about pandering to casual gamers. When's the xbox release?

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Peavy

So people aren't allowed to casually build if they wish? Why does it matter to you how other people play, no one is forcing anyone to use these blocks. Don't like them? Don't use them, it's that simple.

• Like Like x 1
  14. beelzerob

I'd at least like to see prefab items like this tied to game difficulty level.

15. Sofa

That's like complaining that something like IL-2 Sturmovik doesn't have the starfighters with laser guns in it. "If you don't like them, don't use them!" applies, but the thing is, that's not what the game is about.

16. Ovenmit

ha ha.. the point of the game is in the title... you should be engineering this stuff... how about instead of a drawbridge block.. they spent that time making proper planks we can build with or something? So we can make drawbridges of any size? How about that?

Taking away a wonderful inventory for no apparent reason, giving simplified blocks... right now its pretty clear where this game is heading...

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. beelzerob

What you're talking about is CONTRIVED game play...you're choosing to make the game more difficult than it is. And that is a perfectly normal way to enjoy a game. Some games flourish under contrived gameplay (Kerbal space program comes to mind).

The problem is that contrived gameplay is almost exclusively employed by veterans to the game, not new players. They see a drawbridge object, they're going to use a drawbridge object. It may not even occur to them that they could build their own, because they won't have to.

The only reason why this might be a problem is if you simplify the building too much, then new players might not find it challenging enough to stick around and become vets.

Does one new drawbridge block do that? I don't think so...but I hope a ready-built turret isn't the next new block.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

It's not that people aren't being allowed to casually build, it's that we're being forced to casually build, when most of us bought the game for something a little different than minecraft. If the inventory changes hadn't occured, people would have been happy with this, maybe even praising them for finally adding more stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sofa

We can still do that, though. Want something quick and clean that gets the job done and doesn't shatter into splinters when you step on it? Drawbridge block. Need something built to a certain specification or with some of your own applied ingenuity? Bust out the timber and mechanical blocks. As long as they're not making prefab trebuchets, some relief from the physics engine isn't unwelcome in my opinion. It's like the folks who got up in arms over the prefab turrets in SE: Sure buddy, have fun with your broken rotors.

20. Ovenmit

All im saying is rather come up with a modular like system... it would make more sense.

21. Ed Frost

go back to the roots of the project... engineering... not back to the mother... a.k.a minefart.

22. MorshuArtsInc

Update 02.068. Still waiting for pulleys.

23. Eikester

i like this fix, hope it will be added to SE in next update

24. Androox

Small doors and ownership please :D

• Like Like x 1
  25. Stori3D Past Productions

I'm a fan of this update. I like engineering my own drawbridges too, and can still do that for variety. But the simplicity of a one-block drawbridge is great for creative building / RP-storytelling -- and for cutting down on game overhead in a big build. One fancy handmade drawbridge can take 100 blocks, which can cause Sim Speed issues on large builds. Not to mention the collision issues. This is great in the arsenal as an option

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  26. OmEgA_StOrM

Wait does this mean that we don't have to open the bridge manual anymore?

I don't have time to play the game currently so can please somebody tell me that I am wrong.

An automatic drawing bridge how did that work in the medieval times?

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. beelzerob

If you watch the video, it explains.

It's not automatic in the sense that it opens as you approach it. It's automatic in that you don't have to attach any actual lifting mechanism, and just "acting" on the bridge will raise or lower it. Like a door.

28. zDeveloper10

update 2.069: removed planks, rope drum. added catapult block
    "we've realized that the game was too complicated with redundant parts,when there is already a prefab for these items. to that end we've decided to sacrifice some freedom for simplicity"

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Mr Engineer

Wow, thats very nice. Really nice! Great addition!

30. JuStX2

All I have to say is...I miss the days when you had to use a spring-tension block and a rope drum with wheel to make castle doors. I also think that "prefabs" - destroy any hope of Multiplayer Experience for me (not that there was a lot of ME to begin with) - People will be shortcutting on my server and I don't want to deal with laziness...

Also I tend to see what Keen is doing to ME as simplification; I want complications, the challenge is half the fun.

• Agree Agree x 5